Daylight Savings Time: Yes or No?

Tools    

Happy time switch, everybody!
(Personally, I always wish we could always gain an hour instead of losing one once a year.)

The debate is on again over whether we should continue or eliminate Daylight Savings Time.

But on the news the other night, there was now a sub-debate within the side of ending the practice: if ended, should we stick with "regular time" or the "savings time"?

What say you?

There's some research to suggest a real cost to switching: temporary upticks in accidents and the like. I'm a little skeptical of that, but it seems superficially plausible, and it's obviously a lot of trouble/thought to keep track of for everyone. That's gone down a lot now that phones just update on their own.

That said...man, do I enjoy my summers a lot more with DST. The hour in the evening is just a lot more useful and pleasant than the one early in the morning. And while I might be extrapolating from my own experience, it sure seems like getting up really early is less and less common, so it sure seems like a net gain.

So, in summary: I think I'd support DST as a permanent shift. And I'd prefer it as-is over not using it at all. But that might be because I play an insane amount of softball during the spring and summer so it makes my day to day life significantly nicer for like half the year.

How much more pleasant (nobody asked)? So pleasant that literally just seeing this thread title and thinking about it made me a little bit happier. I just get a warm, fuzzy feeling about the whole thing, admittedly because it's tied up with half a dozen other things.

Years ago I worked the night shift, and Savings Time had a monetary impact since that's the shift during which the clocks changed.

Our schedule itself was weird: we had rotating days off: we'd work 6 days, then get a 2 day weekend, but every 6 weeks (I think) we'd get a 3 day weekend. A 3 day weekend every other month was nice, but never having the same days off each week made planning any regular activities relatively impossible.

But I digress: on the night shift, Daylight Savings Time effected us twice a year (that is, if you worked either of those nights).
Pay went by the timeclock - so you'd be paid 8 hours whether you worked 9 hours in the fall or 7 in the spring.

Of course, everybody liked when we lost an hour on the night shift, but still got paid for 8, but many were upset about the extra hour in the fall when an additional hour was worked without any compensation.

A lot of my co-workers demanded an hour of overtime when they worked the once-a-year 9 hour shift, especially if the next time change fell on their day off and they didn't get to benefit from the shorter work hours.

The company considered that it balanced out, but that wasn't necessarily the case depending on where your days off fell.

I could do without it. But in the meantime, it's not that hard to get used to (for me)

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I’m all for the extra hour at night. Feels like it is easier to get stuff done inside during the morning and I don’t really care when the sun rises. When it’s dark at 6 pm, I care.

End it... In March one of the years, just have everyone who does the DST thing move their clocks forward 30 minutes, and then never have to move them at all ever again.

Problem solved.

Happy time switch, everybody!
(Personally, I always wish we could always gain an hour instead of losing one once a year.)

The debate is on again over whether we should continue or eliminate Daylight Savings Time.

But on the news the other night, there was now a sub-debate within the side of ending the practice: if ended, should we stick with "regular time" or the "savings time"?

What say you?
If a permanent switch is made, make it be so that the maximum amount of daylight hours overlap with the natural waking time of the majority.

I was already exhausted and then lost that hour and ended up calling in and sleeping 14 hours.

You ready? You look ready.
Daylight Savings Time is so last century.

Doesn't do a damn thing to help us save energy, and last I checked combines have spotlights.

The Adventure Starts Here!
There's some research to suggest a real cost to switching: temporary upticks in accidents and the like. I'm a little skeptical of that, but it seems superficially plausible, and it's obviously a lot of trouble/thought to keep track of for everyone. That's gone down a lot now that phones just update on their own.

That said...man, do I enjoy my summers a lot more with DST. The hour in the evening is just a lot more useful and pleasant than the one early in the morning. And while I might be extrapolating from my own experience, it sure seems like getting up really early is less and less common, so it sure seems like a net gain.

So, in summary: I think I'd support DST as a permanent shift. And I'd prefer it as-is over not using it at all. But that might be because I play an insane amount of softball during the spring and summer so it makes my day to day life significantly nicer for like half the year.
As a night owl, I totally agree with this. Even just yesterday, the first evening after the time change forward, I got a little giddy that it was still a little light out at 7:30 p.m. here. I don't notice the light change in the mornings anyway, so I admit my preference for keeping things at DST all year long. I really hate when it gets pitch-black dark by about 5 p.m. in the winter. Makes me want to take up hibernation.

I’m all for the extra hour at night. Feels like it is easier to get stuff done inside during the morning and I don’t really care when the sun rises. When it’s dark at 6 pm, I care.
I think I’m the same way.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Daylight Savings Time is so last century.

Doesn't do a damn thing to help us save energy, and last I checked combines have spotlights.
That what they’re harvesting the bus stop children with these days? 😝

A system of cells interlinked
Everyone needs to correct their posts to remove the s from Daylight Saving Time. This isn't a bank, folks, we are SAVING daylight!

The Adventure Starts Here!
Everyone needs to correct their posts to remove the s from Daylight Saving Time. This isn't a bank, folks, we are SAVING daylight!
Sorry, dude, this is no longer true. Merriam-Webster now says that all of these terms are interchangeable. (There's a separate short article on this on their site, but I can't find it ATM.)

If people do/say things incorrectly long enough, even M-W caves and agrees with them. It's one of the fun parts about being a proofreader: nothing is constant.

A system of cells interlinked
Sorry, dude, this is no longer true. Merriam-Webster now says that all of these terms are interchangeable. (There's a separate short article on this on their site, but I can't find it ATM.)

If people do/say things incorrectly long enough, even M-W caves and agrees with them. It's one of the fun parts about being a proofreader: nothing is constant.

I refuse to acquiesce! I shan't let the King's English be sullied with all sorts of balderdash, blarney, bosh, blather, bilge and hullabaloo! I say!