Ghost Movies

Tools    

In the spirit of the season, I think it's time to start up another horror thread (you can never have too many, yanno). Vampires have definitely been covered, as have werewolves, and although I haven't checked, I'd bet there's a zombie thread around here somewhere too. But according to my search results, there hasn't been a discussion of favorite ghost/haunted house movies.

So what are some of your favorites? Of course for me, my favorite ghost film is also my favorite horror movie:

The Haunting (1963)

I have a full review here, but here's an excerpt to whet your appetite for this gem:
I like the way the film works on several levels. First, the fact that the house is, indeed haunted, but there is also the psychological aspect: Eleanor has a seemingly fragile psyche, and needs desperately to belong. She not only falls under the spell of the house, but also that of Dr. Markway, who unintentionally leads her on.

The character of Theo, the psychic, is an interesting one as well. I have always wondered how much of the way in which her lesbianism is subtly introduced was the idea of the director to begin with, and how much of it was due to the convention of the times. It's very entertaining to watch Theo come on pretty strongly to Eleanor, only to be rebuffed, and then watch her reaction when Eleanor displays her obvious attraction to Dr. Markway.
I'll post others later, but for now I'll leave it up to you guys to list/discuss some of your favorites of this sub-genre.

I am half agony, half hope.
I didn't know there was an original of The Haunting. I have seen the remake with Lily Taylor, and it's good.

I like The Sixth Sense, and The Others.

Johann von Goethe

Don't Look Now (1973), Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975), The Innocents (1961), The Haunting (1963), The Others (2001), Séance on a Wet Afternoon (1964), Stir of Echoes (1999), The Changeling (1980), Portrait of Jennie (1948), The Uninvited (1944), What Lies Beneath (2000), Ghost Story (1981) and Kwaidan (1964). For starters.

And, you know, Ghostbusters (1984), Topper (1937) and Beetlejuice (1988) on the comic side.

And not scary at all but wonderfully wonderful, the romantic Truly Madly Deeply (1991).
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

You'd class Don't Look Now as a ghost story Holden? I maybe showing my ignorance where saw it a while ago but has it got any ghosts in?

Truly, Madly, Deeply (1991 - Anthony Minghella)
"Thank you for missing me." Just in case I haven't raved enough about this one yet. It's not a Halloween movie in the sense that this isn't a "scary" ghost movie in any way, but I do love it to pieces. It's kinda like Ghost for grown-ups who have half a brain not reliant on Hollywood bullsh!t. A beautifully told if simple tale of losing the love of your life, collapsing in despair, being led back to life by that love, then set free to live again. Juliet Stevenson, Alan Rickman and Michael Maloney are all perfect, and the balance between very funny, quite sad, and ultimately hopeful is artfully achieved by Minghella. This one makes me cry every time I watch it, and I've probably seen it over thirty times.

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
You'd class Don't Look Now as a ghost story Holden? I maybe showing my ignorance where saw it a while ago but has it got any ghosts in it?

Well not to give the ending away, but they certainly believe it's the ghost of their little girl. Whether or not it is, let the viewer discover for themselves. But it's certainly a psychological suspense story with a supernatural flavor. Plus it's a damn good movie. So I'm recommending it even if, strictly speaking, it's not a "ghost story". Picnic at Hanging Rock and Séance on a Wet Afternoon, also on my list, are likewise not strictly about ghosts, but both are eerie and great and would make good Halloween viewing.

I think.

My #1 favorite would have to be The Haunting (1963)

Other favorites would be:

The Entity (1983)
The Shining (1980)
The Others (2001)
The Uninvited (1944)
Stir of Echoes (1999)
The Canterville Ghost (1944)

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Well not to give the ending away, but they certainly believe it's the ghost of their little girl. Whether or not it is, let the viewer discover for themselves. But it's certainly a psychological suspense story with a supernatural flavor. Plus it's a damn good movie. So I'm recommending it even if, strictly speaking, it's not a "ghost story". Picnic at Hanging Rock and Séance on a Wet Afternoon, also on my list, are likewise not strictly about ghosts, but both are eerie and great and would make good Halloween viewing.

I think.
I suppose that's a fair point about it being ghost from their perspective,
WARNING: "Don't Look Now" spoilers below
didn't think of that. From when i watched it, did just think it was an evil troll thing, though was a while ago.
Would probably read it a bit deeper if watched it again.

Agreed that it is a great film and great Halloween viewing.

What I can think of, that I own. I am probably forgetting some.
These are "kind of" in order, favorite to least favorite . . .

The Haunting (1963)
The Changeling (1980)
Burnt Offerings (1976)
House on Haunted Hill (1959)
Haunted (1995)
Ghostbusters (1984)
Beetlejuice (1988)
The Ghost and Mr.Chicken (1966)
Stir of Echoes (1999)
The Haunting (1999)
The Others (2001)
The Entity (1983)
The Shining (1980)
The Sixth Sense (1999)
Ghostbusters 2 (1989)
House on Haunted Hill (1999)

The House on Haunted Hill remake, is rather violent. I don't care for that one, much at all.

What I still want to buy . . .

Don't Look Now (1973), Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975), The Innocents (1961), The Uninvited (1944), What Lies Beneath (2000), and Ghost Story (1981).

I have no clue what these are, so I will look them up.

Séance on a Wet Afternoon (1964), Portrait of Jennie (1948), Kwaidan (1964), Topper (1937), and The Canterville Ghost (1944).

As for Truly, Madly, Deeply, I LOVE this movie as well, and am surprised that I only know one person who has seen it. That person being Holden, obviously. It is a great love story, but yes, very sad in parts. You all should give it a try.

But according to my search results, there hasn't been a discussion of favorite ghost/haunted house movies.
So what are some of your favorites?
House on Haunted Hill (1959)
I remember this movie was pretty frightening when I first saw it many years ago.
I was quite small, and I recall teenagers covering their eyes.
What fun!

The Sixth Sense, while not a "ghost story" in the traditional sense, does still involve the spirits of the departed, and is one of the better examples of the genre. I'd also recommend the Asian horror film The Eye, which has several similarities with The Sixth Sense (a woman gets a cornea transplant, which enables her to see dead people).

Another great ghost story is Guillermo del Toro's brilliant The Devil's Backbone, set in an orphanage during the Spanish Civil War. It's not so much scary (although there is some of that) as it is sad and touching, beginning with the marvelous voice over:
"What is a ghost? An emotion, a terrible moment condemned to repeat itself over and over? An instant of pain perhaps? Something dead which appears at times alive. A sentiment suspended in time...like a blurry photograph...like an insect trapped in amber."

The Devil's Backbone

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Please watch/buy The Innocents. I believe it's down to less than $10/DVD now, but it covers so much territory. It's enjoyable and/or hateful on so many levels. I love it, as much as almost any film. I truly believe that it's almost impossible to make a better movie now, so it was almost unbelievably impossible to make it better back then!!

OUT of FOCUS sucks! especially for one of the greatest photographed films!

Prospero nailed two beauts i forgot about, suppose a lot of J-Horror is ghosts, though i'd only recommend The Eye and the Korean (soon to be remade) Tale of Two Sisters.

I've always been a fan of The poltergeist and 13 Ghosts

I've always been a fan of The poltergeist and 13 Ghosts
Hey me too...I watched Poltergeist and I really like the scene where the girl was possess...And in 13th Ghost the house was really cool every room has a ghost...that is awesome...

Certifiably troglodytic.
-Poltergeist was mostly good at times in a kind of in-your-face way.
-The Sixth Sense and The Others were better in that they "suggested" (as opposed to just showing) a bit more for the viewer to render psychologically, which was quite a refreshing installment to the genre.
-The Fog...is Carpenter's film acceptable as a ghost story, though no classic house was haunted?
-What about The Shining, given the actual history of the hotel as the backdrop for the movie?

The People's Republic of Clogher
Seeing as MoFos of note are readily including Wise's The Haunting (and I don't blame them, if I was here earlier I'd have done the same - it's a fantastic ghostly film), how about this for a slightly weirder, camper 70s counterpart.

1973's The Legend Of Hell House (John Hough) fits the bill. Those familiar with The Haunting will find this later movie spookily similar in plot...

I love it. What's not to love about a film containing a man who once spent an evening chatting up your mum? Step forward Mr Peter Bowles....to think, if things had taken a different turn, that I could have called you 'daddy'.

Yes dear, Roddy McDowall is as good as it gets for this budget but, hey, it's still a great movie...

Put me in your pocket...
As for Truly, Madly, Deeply, I LOVE this movie as well, and am surprised that I only know one person who has seen it. That person being Holden, obviously. It is a great love story, but yes, very sad in parts. You all should give it a try.
Me three. I love Truly, Madly, Deeply as well. Everything about it hits my tender spot and the tears flow. It's about time I rent it again.

The Uninvited (1944)

Kudos Caity! I just thinking about this one too. I don't usually hear people talk about this one, and I really like it. It has a little bit of everything, mystery, romance, a haunted house, and danger to a young woman who's past is connected to the house and spirit.

I's also like to add...

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947)
I love this movie. Great casting, great acting and a great story...love the feel of it too. It's the complete package. And I have to say...Rex Harrison was...mighty dishy as the gruff captian. And, of course Gene Tierney was perfect as the beautiful widow who dared to buy his cottage. They were wonderful together.

A system of cells interlinked
Hey me too...I watched Poltergeist and I really like the scene where the girl was possess...And in 13th Ghost the house was really cool every room has a ghost...that is awesome...

Girl was possessed? Which Poltergeist are you talking about? No one gets possessed in Poltergeist. If I remember correctly, Carol-Anne gets possessed in Poltergeist III, but, that film is TERRIBLE. Just awful from start to finish...Are you thinking of The Exorcist?

I really loved Scrooged as a kid. I'm mentioning it now purely for nostalgic reasons. Another great Bill Murray role.