The 2023 MoFo Film Awards - Nominations

Tools    

There are only 3 days left to get your nominations in!

I'm going to tag people who submitted lists last year just in case they overlooked the thread this year or need a reminder about the deadline:
@ApexPredator @Harry Lime @Holden Pike @John-Connor @Iroquois
@PHOENIX74 @rauldc14 @Siddon @TheUsualSuspect @Torgo

And I can never seem to properly tag @Frightened Inmate No. 2; but I'll try anyway.

I was waiting for Gojira Minus One to become 'digitally available' but doesn't look like it will before deadline, so I'll submit my noms tonight. Thanks for the reminder Cosmic.

Lemme try this.. @Frightened Inmate No. 2

I was waiting for Gojira Minus One to become 'digitally available' but doesn't look like it will before deadline
That was originally my plan as well. Been really wanting to see that, but it barely played here in theatres, and I've been stuck waiting for the digital release. The Boy and the Heron is in a similar boat. I lost hope last week though lol

Okay I sent something in. I do think there are too many categories. Just saying. Maybe it seems overwhelming.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I do think there are too many categories.
I think that pretty much every year haha.

Maybe for 2024 we should change things up a bit, and slim down the categories a little? I don't think we need both a "Funniest Scene" and "Memorable Scene" to start, just a general one would do. For me, I feel like there's also a lot of mental overlap between "Biggest Surprise" and "Most Underrated", as well as between "Biggest Disappointment" and "Most Overrated".

Would love to hear people's opinions on this, so don't be afraid to speak up!

For me, I feel like there's also a lot of mental overlap between "Biggest Surprise" and "Most Underrated", as well as between "Biggest Disappointment" and "Most Overrated".
Agree with this 100%. I only do one or the other

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
There are only 3 days left to get your nominations in!

I'm going to tag people who submitted lists last year just in case they overlooked the thread this year or need a reminder about the deadline:
@ApexPredator @Harry Lime @Holden Pike @John-Connor @Iroquois
@PHOENIX74 @rauldc14 @Siddon @TheUsualSuspect @Torgo

And I can never seem to properly tag @Frightened Inmate No. 2; but I'll try anyway.
Thanks for reminder. I'll send tomorrow

Yeah I think we can cut the number of categories in half, or close to half. My recommendation for next year anyway.

We can lose foreign language but I think you can also take the 5 picks for the best film of the year and expand it so that people submit their top 10s for the year. Most of us have this ready anyway and it's kind of the standard for critics and movie nerds.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I don't think we need both most memorable and funniest scene. I agree there's a lot of crossover between worst film, overrated and biggest disappointment. I'm not sure the over/underrated categories add much at all.

Increasing the best film nominees to 10 in line with the Oscars is a good shout.

I'm in favour of keeping the foreign language category though.

I think that pretty much every year haha.

Maybe for 2024 we should change things up a bit, and slim down the categories a little? I don't think we need both a "Funniest Scene" and "Memorable Scene" to start, just a general one would do. For me, I feel like there's also a lot of mental overlap between "Biggest Surprise" and "Most Underrated", as well as between "Biggest Disappointment" and "Most Overrated".

Would love to hear people's opinions on this, so don't be afraid to speak up!

I submitted all different scenes for "Funniest" and "Memorable", but I admit it was difficult to think of them all.

I only submitted one of the same movies in "Disappointment" and "Overrated".

Increasing the best film nominees to 10 in line with the Oscars is a good shout.

This would be cool and fairly easy, I think. Actually, if I remember correctly, we do get 10 nominees here, but each voter only gets to submit five.

This would be cool and fairly easy, I think. Actually, if I remember correctly, we do get 10 nominees here, but each voter only gets to submit five.
Yeah, currently voters submit 5 picks, and the top 10 make it through for Best Film of the Year. The other categories are top 5, unless there are ties.

Not sure if allowing 10 nominations for Best Film would make much of a difference, since it might just lead to a wider spread of films that only 1 person votes for. Last year there were 45 films nominated in that category, and 30 of them weren't repeats on anyone else's ballot.

I mean...I can try by the deadline. But I'm not gonna have a complete ballot by any means.

Multiple categories might have 0-1 nominees from me.

@ Reducing the categories, I would pick one/some of these: "Most Overrated", "Biggest Surprise", "Funniest Scene", "Memorable Scene", "Most Underrated", "Biggest Disappointment", "Mixed Bag".

And a "Best Stand Up Comedy" category would be a welcome addition for me.

I forgot the opening line.
Sent my ballot in. Although I got to see a fair few 2023 films last year, my viewing wasn't as comprehensive as it was in 2022 - I look forward to playing catch up once all of the nominations are in. I had a good time doing that last year.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

As usual, it will likely take at least a full year till I feel confident on a top 10, so I won't send a ballot in, but I'm curious what the results will be.