Heroes

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Solid ending? It was, by far, one of the biggest train wrecks of a finale I have ever seen. Absolutely terrible. I hated everything about it. So, so contrived, in so many ways. Just terrible. I mean, hell, where do I start...

WARNING: "Heroes" spoilers below
Hiro: What.The.****. In a ridiculous identity crisis of character, Hiro buries someone alive for eternity? This is something Hiro would just never do. No way. A complete cop out and a ridiculous, soap opera caliber scenario. I was out of my chair exasperated when I saw this. Way to ruin a character. What's to like about Hiro now?

Copycat: Ok so, I spend weeks watching Copycat use her iPod to learn Kung Fu, only to see her manhandled easily when she has the drop on some thugs. I mean, she is in the house, totally aware people are entering, and they somehow get the drop on her? I don't get it, does she forget what she learns when faced with danger? I have seen some lame plot devices before, but this takes the cake. Think about it, this chick hasn't used her powers in WEEKS, and we get to the finale and she...never uses them. This character had a ton of potential and they totally, and completely blew it.

Lady Death Goo: Not sure what else to call Maya, well, aside from another waste of a character. I hate when a show spends weeks attempting to develop a character a certain way, with subtle hints of what is to come, and then completely disregards all of it in the last few minutes of the finale. The scene between Sylar, Mohinder and Death Goo had some of the worst dialogue in the show.

Elle: Alas, even Kristen Bell and her massive acting talent couldn't salvage the weak attempt at a character arc thrown into six minutes. I was so excited to see Ms. Bell stretch her legs with this complex character. Another missed opportunity.

HRG: Funny, I can't seem to follow all the turns this character makes. I don't think the writers can, either.

Claire Bear: The only character to stay in form. Too bad she didn't do much, and we never got to see Claire and Elle duke it out. Lots of foreshadowing for a rumble between these two. Another missed opportunity. Come to think of it...did ANY of the heroes square off against one another using their powers? Hardly. Hiro blinked around a bit, and SORT OF attacked Adam...but there were not really any cool battles with powers this season to speak of.

Nikki: Good Riddance to bad rubbish. Have never been a fan of this character. Regardless, the silly burning timber suddenly blocking the exit just as 1 hero leaves and the other is trapped was super, super silly. The building detonated in a tremendous explosion, you know, because it was an old empty wooden building with nothing in it. Old wooden buildings are at the top of the list of high explosives, btw. Just in case you didn't know. Gas cans, you say? Nah/ There were only a couple and the super powerful, arch nemesis, um...crack head, emptied them out. Not that they would have exploded like that anyway.

Parkman: Another character I would have loved to have seen a season long extrapolation on. Plenty of potential with his power for some cool moral play. Too bad we won't see it.

Sylar: tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, YAwn, ZzZzZZZzZZZzzZZZZzzZZZ

Micha: Damn this kid, damn him. A LOT of nonsense went down to keep this kid in the fold. His power is actually pretty cool, but they always find the silliest, most convoluted way to work him into a story sequence. Copycat's trashing, character-wise, is strictly due to the fact that the writers had to figure out a way to keep this nit-wit in the mix. I also hated how Nikki just let him run out the door to save Copycat, seconds after telling him it was too dangerous. This is the sort of stuff i am talking about. Bizarre hairpin turns by characters in this finale, that don't fit with their conduct during the rest of the series. Nikki has been INCREDIBLY overprotective of Micha the entire time, but then she lets him run out the door after some gang bangers. Her not having her power at the time made it an even worse choice, as, thinking she had no real way to protect him, she NEVER would have let him go.

I won't go into the travesty that is Peter Petrelli. Another character that turns on a dime at the drop of a hat. Peter waffled all over the place the entire season, but he had memory loss. Once he got his memory back, he...waffled some more. Oh, and nice job completely blowing off the lil' irish lass. I guess she got sucked into a temporal vortex, because she was in a future that no longer exists. OOPS.

Loose ends, busted characters, and a capital DEUS EX MACHINA. Nice way to blow a show.

It's official - Heroes sucks.

Beware The Probe!
I liked it.
Despite some glaring flaws I thought this was one of this season's better paced episodes and a great finale since it kept me on the edge of my seat expecting every major character to die at some point.

I do agree that some of the writing seemed to be off.
With the writers strike, did they just hire some monkeys on typewriters to finish off the story?

I did think Peter was still out of character after getting his memory back. No way should he have been attacking Hiro the way he was especially after Adam admitted killing Hiro's Dad.
And why the hell didn't Peter just read Adam's mind anyway?

Also, what's with this new permanant weakness to the regens on the show? Shooting them in the head kills them permanantly??? Huh...? For one thing, being stabbed in the head doesn't perma-kill if you take the object out. Wouldn't a bullet go right through?
And for another thing... HRG was already shot in the head and recovered with regen blood!

<sigh>
I really hope this writers strike ends soon and Hollywood gets rid of those substitute typing monkeys.
If they weren't using monkeys, then I'd have to say these writers are definately not worth what they're striking for.
Pay 'em in bananas.

So...just how did Maya's power work, anyway? At the wedding, she killed everyone, and they stayed dead when her brother helped remove the black goo. Later, when in the coyote truck, She kills all the people, and they stay dead once again. Then, when she freaks out after they crawl through the drain-pipe, she kills the lady that is helping them, but the lady wakes up, calls them diablo, and runs off. Same thing at the jail, the people get up after her eyes clear. A few more episodes in, the power doesn't even take people down, it just makes them feel sick, and they can still walk around and stuff. WTF?

Beware The Probe!
So...just how did Maya's power work, anyway? At the wedding, she killed everyone, and they stayed dead when her brother helped remove the black goo. Later, when in the coyote truck, She kills all the people, and they stay dead once again. Then, when she freaks out after they crawl through the drain-pipe, she kills the lady that is helping them, but the lady wakes up, calls them diablo, and runs off. Same thing at the jail, the people get up after her eyes clear. A few more episodes in, the power doesn't even take people down, it just makes them feel sick, and they can still walk around and stuff. WTF?
Yeah, they never did really explain her abilities.
Was that ebola virus or something?
For that matter was she able to create any virus? I figured this is where they were going when we saw the epidemic in the future but no such luck (damn typing monkeys).

My assumption was she was the desease and her brother the cure so I don't know how Sylar was able to guess she could cure it herself. Quite the risk there based on absolutely nothing.

I do have to admit though I cheered when she was shot.
(such an annoying character)

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
This show is really not living up to the expectations this season.

I like Hiro and Micah. That's about it.

Sometimes electricity girl is fun, sometimes . . .

*sigh*

Ok time to liven up this thread. Heroes returns soon and I can't wait.

WARNING: "Heroes Season 3 Season Premiere" spoilers below
- The shooter of Nathan Petrelli from last season is revealed - Peter Petrelli from the future.

- Nathan is revived... and has a vision from God. Believing he's an angel on God's mission, he is set up to be some sort of religious zealot in subsequent episodes.

- Sylar corners Claire in her house. Despite hitting Sylar over the head and stabbing him, she's caught. In a scene , we see Sylar probing her brain as she twitches on a table. Claire, who is conscious, asks, "Are you going to eat it?" Sylar responds, "Eat your brain? Claire, that's disgusting." He then steals her invulnerability, then puts her skull cap with the hair back on her head.

- Suresh develops a serum to give humans powers and injects himself, thus giving him super strength.

- Hiro takes over his father's company and discovers a secret formula in his father's safe... which is promptly stolen by a new speedster character. When Hiro travels to the future to see the results, he sees his future self confronting Ando over the formula... then Ando shocking him with a red bolt of electricity.

- HRG is shown in a prison cell while Nikki is shown as the mistress of a Governor.

- Parkman discovers Peter shot his brother, but Peter then zaps him into a far away desert.

Surprised this hasn't been bumped. Even if there is a LOT of deja vu, still gonna give it benefit of the doubt and stick with this season for a bit longer. Bit of a narrative mess dealing with so many separate story arcs and trying to lump in all the characters. Shame there wasn't a catch up because last season left me so underwhelmed i think i forgot it all. Anyone remember what happened to Maya, i thought she was dead?

As for thoughts on new episodes, well first 2, got third to watch next- Peter still annoys the heck out of me and really dislike the actor and character. Apart from him all the other characters seem like they should be going somewhere, there's the potential for them get there at least. Except for Mohinder, thus far they've completely stolen from Cronenberg's The Fly- almost verbatim in terms of dialogue, abilities, change in personality. That's really the main thing that's keeping Heroes only mediocre.

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
I persuaded my daughter to watch the premiere but she said she's done. I was mostly watching it for her to hang with her so I guess I'm done too.

I agree about the fly thing!

I'm still watching, but this show has fallen way off by the wayside for me.

I couldn't even get myself to watch season 2 before they started up the new episodes this season and now I don't even know what in the hell is going on.

The series so far has been pretty hectic and I'm hoping that they leave more room for character development. I'm still hoping.

-Hattori Hanzo

Although I like the show's tone this season, the narrative has gone right out the window. The aping of The Fly, the random switching and non-explanation of Niki's character(s), and the now overused future disaster storyline are sinking the show for me.

Beware The Probe!
Wow.
Last week's trip to the past had so many continuity holes in it, it just wasn't right.
The timeline was way off on several events and the personalities of some of the characters was just wrong.

- Elle was caring? She was supposed to be a spoiled brat with the mind of a child back then.
- Sylar was remorseful for killing the telekenetic guy? He killed Mohinder's Dad at that time too but seemed to have forgotten it.
- Papa Petrelli was said to have died of a heart attack in one episode before and a suicide in another. It was also supposed to have happened 6 months before the events shown in that episode which had HRG hop into Suresh's cab like he did in the pilot.
- And how did Thompson not know fire-starter-Mom was Claire's real mother? He was there when The Company handed baby-Claire over to HRG.

Argh...
Hopefully with two of their comic-book writers axed from the show recently someone else will be hired to try and get the story straight.

The new Intro-title was cool though.
I hope they keep it this season since most of the main characters seem to have switched sides and become villains this year.

At least Chuck is still on the air. I have to say it. Right now, Chuck is a superior show to Heroes. Not that my opinion really matters. But Heroes has really gone sideways, they went into the sophomore jinx head on and do not appear to be recovering this season at all.

I'm so confused... more so than usual I mean.

Btw, good to see you Sci-fi Guy.

I'm so with you guys on this one - the last episode derailed the train from the track. Its almost like they ran out of stuff to write about, and so decided to fall back on the old "turn it upside down" trick of making the good guys bad, and the bad guys good.

Heck, I'm still skeptical about the fact that Mohinder casually becomes a murderer!

Sylar was the biggest stupid so far as i'm concerned. Finding out the woman he killed wasn't his mum but in fact shares the same mother of his enemies is enough to turn him good? Big waste of character.

Beware The Probe!
But as muched as I loved him as a villain, I like the new "good" Sylar as a Company agent while trying to keep his 'hunger' under control.
After the flashback last week, I'm wondering about Sylar's son, Noah, in the future.
Could Elle have been the mother?

I'm not a big fan of Peter and Claire turning bad though.
Peter was already a dick for leaving his Irish lass girlfriend in an alternate future last season and not going back for her.
I know the season was cut in half because of the writers strike but Come On! If that future was wiped out, what happened to Caitlin?

As for Mohinder going all 'Seth Brundle'...
Sigh...
Really? The Fly?
That's the best they could do here?

As much as I would hate to see Pushing Daisies get cancelled, at least Heroes would get back one of their better writers.

I just realized why the new improved Sylar bugs me - I actually dont mind him, but I DO mind the plot device they used to place his character on a new track.

Here's the thing - it wasnt necessary to make him Peter's bro or Angela's son. It is completely plausible, and actually an even better storyline (I think), for Sylar to have killed his own mother, and to have had to face the responding guilt issues that come with that.

In fact, I think that would have been more of a character study. I find it highly believable that a brilliant young man could have identity issues and a "slower than normal" parent (or at least, a parent that is slower than them), who did not understand his need for approval. Its also believable that in attempting to impress his own mother that he accidentally hurt her - killed her, and is bearing all the emotional baggage that entails with him in his crazy psycho killer mind.

Fast forward to Angela Petrelli's "saving" of him. Why is it so hard to believe that a person who is not blood-related to him could take an interest in molding him - for ANY intent? For all I know, Angela Petrelli could be intending to use him as a tool of destruction and mayhem. (I actually still think that's her intent.) People get used all the time - Angela P didnt need to be Sylar's mother for them to play a "mommy" angle with her, specifically if they feathered up for us guilt/regret images for Sylar regarding the death of his own mother.

Slapping him into the Petrelli family as Angela's child was a serious waste of guilt and character material if you ask me. Furthermore its slightly incestuous and myopic, because it presupposes that brilliance is only begotten by brilliance (e.g. Sylar has the Petrelli "gene" that begets "greatness"). <---even if there is truth to this, its kind of a cop out.

what about all the poor schmucks watching Heroes who were pulling for Sylar to actually BE a monster; actually BE a poor misunderstood boy; and actually triumph over real disaster.

But no. We get Angela Petrelli as a suddenly "hate-my-son-eough-to-drown-him cum love-my-son-enough-to-try-to-turn-him" mother instead. Its like they decided that the family wasnt dsyfunctional enough, so they had to drop in a doozy.

And Peter is seriously starting to get on my nerves. Does anyone on the show actually LISTEN to each other? They have deepseated miscommunication issues. Everyone's the Lone Ranger - I'm just trying to figure out how any of them have survived this long!

I'm a couple episodes behind over here, as switched to TV over downloads so ease up on spoilers

Yeah, i don't mind the new Sylar character but don't like the character arcs they throughout without much thought, logic or respect for the audiences collective intelligence.

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out Angela is using Sylar and isn't really his Mother but nevertheless it's still a stupid angle to take.

The other thing that's get annoying is all the 'fake' deaths. As soon as i gasp at something that's actually happened, it turns out to be staged. Even to the extent of bringing Ali Larter back and Malcom McDowell. Cheap tactics, hope they get some balls back.