The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Paprika is one I haven't seen, but I'm very interested. Unfortunately I missed it on Criterion recently--hopefully it will come around again.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl is tons of fun. I watched it again quite recently when my son used his movie pick on it, and while it was maybe a tad less enjoyable at home than on a big screen, it still popped. I didn't put on my list, but if a top 100 needs a pure popcorn movie, you could do worse than this.

• Both of their directors we hadn't seen in the countdown, and they won't show up again in it
For anybody holding out hope that The Weather Man, The Mexican, or the American remake of The Ring might make the countdown...they didn't. Sorry, Verbinskiphiles.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A Pirates movie? Ok, is that the first one? The first one’s pretty fun.

Never heard of Paprika.

Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree about the first one. As for the other two sequels, if forced to choose, I think I might give a slight edge to the third one...
There are mind and butt numbing five films in this franchise, so far: Curse of the Black Pearl, Dead Man's Chest, At World's End, On Stranger Tides, and Dead Men Tell No Tales. And they kept threatening to make a sixth! I suspect Depp's tarnished image coupled with smaller post-pandemic returns and an overall series fatigue may have finally killed that, but now of course they are talking about a reboot.

The first film, despite coming from such an obviously crass commercial impulse of turning a theme park ride into a movie rather than vice versa, was so damn much fun and Depp's energy so engaging. They became nothing but unwatchable noise as it tortuously dragged on and on and on.

I liked the first Pirate movie but have never had a desire to go back to it or watch the sequels. Was never in consideration for my list.

I watched Paprika when it made the foreign list . Fair amount of fun but it wasn’t cracking my 25.

Watched Diving Bell last night. Really heartbreaking story, but I think the way it’s told elevates it. The consistent POV shots are very immersive. I like that we get glimpses of who he was before the stroke but it doesn’t delve too much into that which keeps him very sympathetic. Three great scenes. His phone call with his father. When his girlfriend calls and his “wife” has to translate. The scene that shows him having the stroke. Very good overall but it wouldn’t have made my list.

There are mind and butt numbing five films in this franchise, so far: Curse of the Black Pearl, Dead Man's Chest, At World's End, On Stranger Tides, and Dead Men Tell No Tales.

Yeah, but...

I never went beyond that one.

And they kept threatening to make a sixth! I suspect Depp's tarnished image coupled with smaller post-pandemic returns and an overall series fatigue may have finally killed that, but now of course they are talking about a reboot.

The first film, despite coming from such an obviously crass commercial impulse of turning a theme park ride into a movie rather than vice versa, was so damn much fun and Depp's energy so engaging. They became nothing but unwatchable noise as it tortuously dragged on and on and on.

I agree 100%

If the hints were poems, I would have TOTALLY gotten Pirates. Maybe Paprika, too. I guessed it once.

Pirates has been one of my favorite movies since I was 14. I always had a connection to pirate stories through Disney. I was introduced to that spirit with Muppet Treasure Island, and then Treasure Planet. Piratrs of the Carribean blows all of those out of the water.

Sent-In Ballot:
#20. Iron Man (83)
#22. Pirates of the Caribbean (63)

Post-Ballot:
#12. Snatch (71)
#18. Slumdog Millionaire (not placed but it made my new 25)
#22. Iron Man (83)
#23. Fantastic Mr. Fox (70)
#25. Pirates of the Caribbean (63)

Seen 23/38

I surprisingly liked the first Pirates movie, as it had the kind of charm that these kinds of big budget monstrosities usually lack. The action was decent, Depp was on point, fun stuff. But definitely not the kind of movie that would ever make me think I needed to see another one, so I've never seen Black Pearl, and can't foresee any situation where I would.

Paprika is a masterpiece of pure imagination. One of the best animated films of the last 25 years (although I think I prefer Kon's Perfect Blue slightly). Paprika didn't make my list though since it's not a film that really engages me beyond the mind bending visuals. And, in fairness, these visuals are so good it hardly needs to give anything else. That genius can stand on its own. But for this list I generally went for films that I have a deep personal relationship with, and Paprika is very much not that.

I surprisingly liked the first Pirates movie, as it had the kind of charm that these kinds of big budget monstrosities usually lack. The action was decent, Depp was on point, fun stuff. But definitely not the kind of movie that would ever make me think I needed to see another one, so I've never seen Black Pearl, and can't foresee any situation where I would.
The Curse of the Black Pearl is the first POTC movie.

MoFos have chosen wisely

Paprika
...Visually stunning, creative and interesting duality story line. I considered it, but didn't have room on my ballot. Glad it made the countdown!

Pirates Of The Caribbean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl...Surprised but happy it made the countdown. I haven't seen it since it first came out but I remember it being a real blast to watch and Depp was great in it. Good choices!

Amazingly, I've seen three of the last four. Mystic River is another one of those TV viewings I remember little about, but I'm almost certain, I watched it the wrong day. Paprika I watched for an HoF here, and it was OK, but I wished it had more sex and violence and general nastiness. The first Pirates of the Caribean is well above average for a blockbuster family-friendly action, and while not a personal favorite it's a rather easy watch still.

Seen: 17/38

Have seen so far: 11 - Pirates of the Caribbean - The movie was alright, not a big fan of that pirate stuff.
Have not seen so far: 31

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

So I'm the curmudgeon that thinks Disney World is tacky and that the borderline cult that surrounds it is creepy. No offense.

And yet, thanks to an acquaintance who worked there (Sorry, I meant "was a cast member") I found myself watching PotC on opening night... AT DISNEY WORLD.

The crowd was enthusiastic, to say the least. I've been to sporting events that were less raucous. When a woman with a plush Tigger hat on her head is next to you howling at every joke, it's hard not to get caught up in the fun, so I enjoyed it in spite of myself. My second viewing under more subdued conditions left me feeling that it wasn't as great as I remembered, but it's still a fun memory.

It wasn't on my ballot, though. (Paprika was.)

The trick is not minding
Paprika is a great film, and one I prefer over Perfect Blue, and ultimately was a hard decision to remove.

Pirates of the Caribbean is a lot of fun to watch,and one I actually rate highly, but was never in consideration for my ballot.

Most people may complain about films that are “fun” to watch not offering much of “depth” or any real value outside of the experience itself, and I hear this complaint bandied about concerning superhero films or horror or slasher films, but these films don’t have to offer anything deep to be considered amongst the best of the decade.

I've seen Pirates once about 4 years ago and thought it was very entertaining. I haven't seen any sequels which sounds like a good thing.

Saw Paprika once and liked it, but not enough to even make my animation ballot.

Paprika is a trip and Pirates is fun. Surprised to see the latter appear but I'm ok with it. For Satoshi Kon I think Millennium Actress is tops for me.

Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays Mofo Countdowners!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Paprika is a film that I initially didn't like, but when I rewatched it years later for an animated film tournament here, it really clicked with me. I then watched it again for a Hall of Fame, and that's when I really appreciated it. It's not my favourite Satoshi Kon film, but it was #11 on my list.

Even though the sequels just got worse and worse, the first Pirates of the Caribbean is quite a bit of fun. It never crossed my mind when thinking of films for my ballot though.

I don't have anything to say about yesterday's reveals (A Serious Man, and Mystic River) as I haven't seen either.

Seen:
19/38

My List:
08. Mother (2009) - #96
10. Iron Man (2008) - #83
11. Paprika (2006) - #64
16. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) - #76
25. Bon Cop, Bad Cop (2006) - 1-pointer

Kind of surprised about Paprika now that I think about it. Always had the impression Tokyo Godfathers was the Satoshi Kon film everyone loved.
Well maybe that just means it'll be higher on the list! I hope so, at least haha.