Jeremy Theobald, Alex Haw, Lucy Russell, John Nolan

4lists45points
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Director

David Fincher, 2011

Starring

Daniel Craig, Rooney Mara, Christopher Plummer, Stellan Skarsgård

TRAILERS

Following - A young unemployed writer who follows strangers for material meets a thief who takes him under his wing. But things start to unravel as their exploits become more dangerous.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Disgraced journalist Mikael Blomkvist is recruited to find out a woman from a wealthy family who disappeared 40 years ago. To aid him in this, he recruits young computer hacker Lisbeth Salander.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is one of those films I remember watching and liking a lot, but that has somehow vanished from my mind almost entirely. This is what I wrote back in 2012 when I saw it...

I was hesitant to check this out because I had thought of checking the original first. That said, being a fan of Fincher and reading great reviews about it, convinced me to check it out. It was pretty darn good, I must say. It reminded me a bit of Zodiac because it isn't particularly "flashy" in terms of directing, and yet Fincher does a spectacular job. The frenetic style in the first part was a bit confusing, as you get to know all the characters involved, but that helped the experience. Like Blomkvist said "I'm starting to lose track of who's who here". Anyway, great performances from most of the cast, edge-of-your-seat scenes and moments. I really enjoyed the last bits between Lisbeth and the attorney (Bjurman). The revelations about the Vangers weren't that surprising, but they were elevated mostly because of Skarsgard's performance. After that, I felt it lost a bit of steam, but I did like the ending.
Following is quite the opposite because it has stuck with me quite a bit. It is actually the first from my ballot to show up. I think it is an underappreciated little gem from Nolan that puts forward some of the themes that he would carry on later, like lies and deceit from multiple characters, and how they assume different personalities for different purposes. I had it at #9.

SEEN: 10/18
MY BALLOT: 1/25

My ballot  

Fincher's take on the international bestseller The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was #93 on the Top 100 of the Millennium.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Interesting pairing, because it’s two directors I love, but two movies that I think are really bad. More of a pass for Nolan in this case because at least Following is an obvious low budget “starter” film.

I thought The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was fantastic and it made my ballot at #19. Following was great too, but just missed out on my ballot.

Seen: 13/18

A system of cells interlinked
I briefly considered The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, but ultimately cut it fairly early. I do need to see it again, but some scenes were quite disturbing, so I am not in any kind of hurry to get it back up on screen.

Seen both, neither got a vote from me.

12/18
seen

I watched The Hot Spot today on Tubi so I've now seen 14/18. I thought Don Johnson was badly miscast and the film felt too long. Jennifer Connelly and Virginia Madsen were good though.

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... FOLLOWING

RT – 84%, IMDb – 7.5

Roger Ebert said:

"Already in Following you see Nolan's affinity for convoluted chronological structure and the final twist, in which all the jigsaw plot pieces snap into place and you finally see the whole picture (along with the main character). You may wonder just how necessary/integral they are, but they help make the film fun to watch, even if they don't necessarily add up to a whole lot." (read full review here)
Diana Tuova of Loud and Clear said:

"Following is an imperfect, but nonetheless brainy, existential take on film noir, which seems even more impressive considering its limited budget." (read full review here)
@The Prestige said:

"A lot of critics have argued that Following attempts one twist too many. And I guess that may be true to an extent, however, I think the originality of the film and the overall execution, despite the laughably low budget, FAR outweighs the slightly excessive twists. Truly excellent stuff." (read full review here)

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO

RT – 86%, IMDb – 7.8

Roger Ebert said:

"It's an odd feeling to be seeing a movie that resembles its Swedish counterpart in so many ways, yet is subtly different under the direction of David Fincher and with a screenplay by Steven Zaillian. I don't know if it's better or worse. It has a different air." (read full review here)
FilmCommunication said:

"Fincher constructs the film towards as a noir, connecting to the original narrative structure. [The film] resembles the traits and themes of film noir. The compositional tension of the film opposes past from present, old to new and faithfulness versus progressive [...] These classical noir influences gave the film its fatalistic and doomed ancestry, passing down power." (read full review here)
@Iroquois said:

"Though it plays out a lot like your typical slightly-above-average modern thriller and probably goes on a bit too long for its own good, it's alright if you want something that's appropriately dark and compelling." (read full review here)

FOLLOWING
(1998, Nolan)

"Everyone has a box."

Or so tells Cobb, a skilled burglar, to his protegé of his victims' desire for privacy, secrecy, and intimacy. The "boxes" in question are meant to hold not only things that are dear to people, but also things that people feel that represent them and define them. The line might be taken from John Steinbeck's East of Eden, which says "nearly everyone has his box of secret pain, shared with no one". Considering Nolan's frequent literary inspirations, I don't think it's a long shot. The aforementioned thief, Cobb, revels in finding out about people's "secrets" and ultimately, in bringing them out to light, which is the premise of Christopher Nolan's neo-noir, debut film.

Following focuses on the above mentioned protegé (Jeremy Theobald), a young, struggling writer that decides to "follow" random people in order to draw inspiration for his writings. Eventually, he finds himself confronted by Cobb (Alex Haw), who takes the young man under his wing not only on a quest to "follow", but to get inside people's lives as they commit a series of seemingly random burglaries and break-ins. Cobb, who doesn't seem to be interested in the material stuff, claims to be more interested in the emotional and psychological effect his burglaries might have on his victims: "You take it away, and show them what they had", he says. The young man ends up caught up in the thrill of it, while also seeking a relationship with one of their victims.

Even though I still haven't seen Dunkirk, and even though I'm not as much of a fan of The Dark Knight trilogy as most people, I still consider myself a fan of Nolan work. I love Memento and The Prestige, and although I haven't revisited them in a while, I enjoyed both Inception and Insomnia a lot. Watching Following, you get a chance to see many of Nolan's frequent themes and ideas come to be. Whether it's the subject of trust, and the trust his characters put in objects and physical things (a picture? a top spin? a journal?), or how most of his characters end up losing themselves, their identities and/or their sanity, as they get deeper and deeper into whatever they're doing.

Following brings all of that to the table, with a finely crafted, broken chronology (which is another Nolan trademark). The echoes of Memento, or rather the impact this one had on it, are fairly evident as the story follows some similar paths of deceit and lies. Theobald and Haw are solid as the leads, but this film relies mostly on its style and structure. Take that away, and you're left with a pretty conventional story. But, much like Cobb, Nolan knows how to draw the unsuspecting viewers inside his web and pull the rug from beneath us in the end, sometimes more than once. And when that happens, you're more or less left like the characters, looking back at everything and wondering how the hell he managed to get the best out of us.

Grade:

Adding a review I wrote about the film back in 2019. I'd be inclined to bump that rating to
, though.

Following had been a Nolan I hadn't watched in years and don't believe I paid much attention while watching it. So I was curious to revisit it after last summer during Barbenheimer and I found it to be much more engaging than imagined. It was nice to visit Nolan before all the bloated budgets started to consume him. It's not his best but I wouldn't call it rubbish. I had it at #7 and hope some folks lower their expectations and give it another try.

Dragon Tattoo was a treat when I saw it in theaters. Maybe goes on just a little too long but some of it has stayed with me despite that being the only time I've watched it start to finish.

The Hot Spot sounds fun, but I haven't seen it.
Yeah, it's not. But maybe if you like noir it is?

What is a Hot Spot not?

So far some pretty good films, none of which I'd call noir, neo or otherwise.

From memory, Following is a good calling card of a film and GIrl With The Dragon Tattoo is a bad version of an already overrated film.

Reply to Topic