Avengers: Endgame

Tools    

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Compare A:E to GoT and the issues it is having tying stuff up. I think it's fair to say some people don't have the emotional connection that others do. They might not have seen X amount of these movies with the same friends and have memories to put in their hope chest I was in a moment of pure happiness after this. That's all I want from movies.

And an officially licensed framed lithograph of Rocket and Hulk in that truck. Joy.

I wonder if Disney manipulated the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and the super high score of 8.8 on the IMDB. It's weird for such high score that many people didn't care about it (in the IMDB if you scroll down the reviews there are a lot of low scores). Which is very is weird for a movie with 8.8 score, if you look through reviews for blockbuster movies with similar scores like Dark Knight, The Matrix or Lord of the Rings and they are much more positive). I have not watched the movie but from fan reactions it looks more like a typical action movie with 6.5-7.0 score movie on the IMDB.

What an excellent day for an exorcism
It's weird for such high score that many people didn't care about it (in the IMDB if you scroll down the reviews there are a lot of low scores). Which is very weird for a movie with 8.8 score, if you look through reviews for blockbuster movies with similar scores like Dark Knight, The Matrix or Lord of the Rings and they are much more positive).
I'm not sure if that is really a viable indicator. Dark Knight, for example, has over 400 reviews with a rating of 3 out of 10 or below. AEG, which has 380,000 total votes, has around 500 3 star or below reviews, but the numbers reveal most of the votes are received from members who don't bother with reviews.

So I wouldn't put a whole lot of weight in those low score reviews since they contribute significantly less than 1% of the film's overall imdb rating.

I'm not sure if that is really a viable indicator. Dark Knight, for example, has over 400 reviews with a rating of 3 out of 10 or below. AEG, which has 380,000 total votes, has around 500 3 star or below reviews, but the numbers reveal most of the votes are received from members who don't bother with reviews.

So I wouldn't put a whole lot of weight in those low score reviews since they contribute significantly less than 1% of the film's overall imdb rating.
This data (if correct) would imply that people who review movies tend to dislike Endgame more than people who just click on the rating meter. Considering people who write reviews are in general more experienced that would imply that less experienced movie fans rated Endgame higher than more experienced ones, relative to other highly rated movies on the site. In other words, Endgame is a good example of a plebs movie.

Personally I thought Endgame was solid.

It's a borderline potboiler drama at the start, with superheroes in the middle and an all-out ending that gives closure to a load of the founding members of the MCU, and opens the door to a new and broader variety of heroes and stories.

The ending finale fight was also something I was glad to see too.
I wanted that in Infinity War, but instead there was a relatively small skirmish in Wakanda... they were saving it for Endgame, and they delivered.

One thing they didn't do... and rightly so... was try to "one-up" Infinity War.
I kept thinking beforehand "They can't better the Thor/Rocket/Groot entrance"... and they didn't try to.
Instead they had an epic arrival scene of all the heroes, ready and willing to fight, assembled (ahem) as a united society of people against probably the greatest mass murderer of all time.
The overarching story of everybody in the MCU, is summed up in the last 3rd of the movie.

The also delicately balanced a lot of the more one-dimensional characters like Clint and Hulk.
What more can be done with Hulk? More smashing? More arguments between him and Banner for control? More arguments about Hulk not wanting to come out of his hiding place?
Or, have Banner find a common ground between the two, and the two of them finally come to terms with each other.

Clint... he lost his family... then was willing to sacrifice himself to bring them back... only for him and Nat have a scrap, and she takes his place.
Pain, loss, willingness to fight and even die for the greater good, and refusing to let the other one do it... makes the story of Clint and Natasha all the more potent.

Almost all of the characters have an arc that's either completed, or semi completed in Endgame.

Best MCU movie?
Maybe, maybe not.
But it's definitely, and undeniably, the best ending to the first chunk of the MCU...

It's also probably the best use of time-travel I've seen in a movie next to Twelve Monkeys.

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, that's IMDb for you. It's a website that's kept The Dark Knight in its top 5 for over a decade straight - it's always been populist as hell, and having Endgame do this well tracks with its userbase (regardless of any potential Disney interference, which always comes across as conspiracy-theory nonsense anyway because you'd think they'd use that on something that needs all the help it can get like the Dumbo remake instead of The Titanic-Beating Part 22 in the Most Successful Franchise Of All-Time). Being the hot new film that everyone and their mother is talking about was bound to draw some extra contrarianism anyway and not enough time has passed for said contrarianism to fade into the background like it did with films like The Dark Knight or The Matrix (and if it did resurface, it'd be easy enough for the hivemind to disregard or downvote it).

What an excellent day for an exorcism
There is most likely a little manipulation slipping through the cracks of their rating system, but it's not nearly as "rigged" as many believe. You actually have to earn a rating as a member to affect how much your vote counts towards the tally. They have most of their formula posted there. For example, someone who has been a member for years who consistently votes in the spirit of the rating intention, their vote may count as 1.0 vote towards a film. A member who's rating history is packed with all 10's and/or all 1's, their vote may count as 0.0000001 or just zero.

For example, The Godfather was rated 9.2 before Dark Knight came out. Then an army of DK fanatics started building another army of fake accounts to vote down The Godfather to a rating of 1 so that DK would surpass it. After all the dust settled....The Godfather was still rated 9.2. Because those fanatics didn't bother to read the rules. They did all that work unaware they were just spinning their wheels.

When you join, you can immediately vote on a film, but your vote isn't even applied to the film until your membership is one year old. And it's still not applied even after one year if that is the only vote you made. So all those DK fake accounts who created it solely to post a 1 on Godfather and abandoned that account, their single vote has never been applied.

You have to accrue a minimum number of votes, plus other criteria, it's really not so easy to circumvent their system as some people seem to believe.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

Greetings fom New Asgard

Don't ask how much time I wasted this morning

I do think Whedon despite everyone's complaints about Justice League and Age Of Ultron and Age Of Ultron i liked very much. Whedon got what the Hulk was.

Thing is Russo's just didn't get what The Hulk was. Whedon embraced Hulk and in ways he brought the best out of Black Widow in my opinion.

Avengers 3 and 4 look amazing but its too much. Rather seen them stick to say 6 main characters and maybe add 2 more. Endgame final battle was hard to fallow for me. Movie looked great but. Think like Avengers 1 and the solo MCU films more then these.
To be fair to the Russo's of course these films are the first time they even got to work with The Hulk/Banner in plots that were already very crowded. I suspect in that situation they looked at his character and decided he didn't have as much dramatic potential as he was already quite self aware. Thor on the other hand they were also having their first chance to work with and I suspect they looked at his character previously and felt they could take it in a more interesting direction undermining that more simplistic heroism.

The Black Widow character actually seemed to be were they were looking to pull in different directions, Whedon more towards the romance with Banner and the Russo's more towards guilt at her past driving her. Personally I think the Russo's direction was more interesting and reflected there bringing a greater depth to most of the main characters they focused on.

Generally I think Whedon was a bit too pulpy, its a style that worked well enough in the original Avengers that was quite a light film dramatically but didn't fit as well with Ultron IMHO. Added to that I think he struggled more when juggling multiple plots not being able to handle then and give his central conflict real focus.

I heard that the conflict between Whedon and Studio was too much when they wanted to scrap the Thor's vision pool scene entirely, the compromise was the snippet scene that made the theatrical cut but there was no going back afterwards

A system of cells interlinked
I watched Age of Ultron again after seeing Endgame, and I liked it a bit more this time around, simply due to the fact that there are so many fun hints of what's to come in Endgame. All of Witch's mind tricks hint at things to come. The scene with everyone sitting around trying to pick up Thor's hammer, and Cap movies it a little. I also like the little horror elements used with Witch's character, as well.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I heard that the conflict between Whedon and Studio was too much when they wanted to scrap the Thor's vision pool scene entirely, the compromise was the snippet scene that made the theatrical cut but there was no going back afterwards
Studio wanted more of Thor's vision in the pool scene to set up more movies. Whedon wasn't a fan, but they threatened to take out most of the scenes involving Hawkeye's family at their home. Whedon fought hard to keep those scenes in the movie and as a result, we got a ham-fisted "vision" sequence from Thor that feels out of place.

Age of Ultron feels like the odd film out. It's the only "true" Avengers movie in a way. The first Avengers was about getting the team together for the first time. Age of Ultron is the team really doing their thing and BEING the Avengers. By the time Infinity War comes around, the team has broken up.

Suspect's Reviews

Studio wanted more of Thor's vision in the pool scene to set up more movies. Whedon wasn't a fan, but they threatened to take out most of the scenes involving Hawkeye's family at their home. Whedon fought hard to keep those scenes in the movie and as a result, we got a ham-fisted "vision" sequence from Thor that feels out of place.

Age of Ultron feels like the odd film out. It's the only "true" Avengers movie in a way. The first Avengers was about getting the team together for the first time. Age of Ultron is the team really doing their thing and BEING the Avengers. By the time Infinity War comes around, the team has broken up.
Oh yeah that was it, cheers!
I really liked AoU

The middle section of AoU in Africa and at Hawk's homestead is by far the strongest part of the film I'd say were as Ultron himself never really becomes that interesting as a villain for me.

A system of cells interlinked
The middle section of AoU in Africa and at Hawk's homestead is by far the strongest part of the film I'd say were as Ultron himself never really becomes that interesting as a villain for me.

Agree on Ultron - definitely the weakest aspect of the flick.

That said, I also really enjoy all the mind trick scenes and the battle at the end is pretty fun. I dunno, I guess I like the flick more than thought now that I have seen it again.

It was arguably a bit of a feature of Marvel films in that era, Ironman 3 and Thor 2 also I think had relatively weak villians but interesting middle sections to them dealing with larger plots.

Boldly going.
Question about Spider-Man:
WARNING: "and how this impacts Far From Home" spoilers below
So I guess in Spider-man Far From Home, some of Peter Parker's friends will be in Senior High and 5 years older, and those that got snapped like Peter did will be the same age and still be in Junior High?

Welcome to the human race...
My guess is

WARNING: "Far From Home" spoilers below
all of the major returning Spider-Man characters - Ned, Flash, MJ - all happened to get dusted as well as Peter so that would explain how they're all still together in the same class.

Boldly going.
My guess is

WARNING: "Far From Home" spoilers below
all of the major returning Spider-Man characters - Ned, Flash, MJ - all happened to get dusted as well as Peter so that would explain how they're all still together in the same class.
Convenient!