Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Ghost In The Shell

If anybody knows what this was all about I'd be interested to know... I'm joking I don't want to know... it's not that I don't get it, it's that I'm not interested enough to invest myself... this felt both expensive and somehow cheap, I can't explain it, I just didn't like it

“I was cured, all right!”
Ghost In The Shell

If anybody knows what this was all about I'd be interested to know... I'm joking I don't want to know... it's not that I don't get it, it's that I'm not interested enough to invest myself... this felt both expensive and somehow cheap, I can't explain it, I just didn't like it

Don't worry. This movie was a complete mess. It's a shame because GitS has such a beautiful context. Personally I like to believe that the originals japanese animations are the only ones that exist.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
The Witch (Robert Eggers, 2015)

Nicely atmospheric period horror in places but sadly just too much of a strain at times to make the dialogue come hither

summed up nicely for my viewing experience.

Mistress America (2015)

The Witch (Robert Eggers, 2015)

Nicely atmospheric period horror in places but sadly just too much of a strain at times to make the dialogue come hither
summed up nicely for my viewing experience.
Are you saying that the dialogue was inaudible or that the actors struggled to make Old English their own language?

I was just looking back to my reaction at the time:

I personally found the sound a bit unbalanced, with very loud moments and occasionally inaudible dialogue. The music and sound effects however are exceptional, and two films came to mind as I listened: Alien and Under the Skin. When it comes to the cast I thought Harvey Scrimshaw was excellent, given how tough some of the work must have been. Anya Taylor-Joy and Ralph Ineson were brilliant – he's always audible with that resonant voice, but perhaps too dominant for the same reason. As with Prometheus I didn't respond to Kate Dickie's performance, sadly; and it might come over as uncharitable to say that her Scottish accent was detectable on occasion. It may also seem unfair to say that I struggled to believe these people conversed in Old English all the time – I would guess it was harder to make this work with the small children – but it never really took hold and developed a credibility in the way it should.

Dheepan is the story of three refugees who pretend to be a family to con their way into France. Illayaal a nine year old girl who now has to adjust to a school where she can't speak the language, Yalini the "mother" who ends up working as a caretaker and Dheepan who becomes a caretaker. Moving from a Sri Lankan war zone to the ghettos of France is an interesting twist on the story.

The young girls story fizzles out fairly quickly and proves to be less engaging than the others. But the film builds up to a pretty thrilling conclusion as Dheepan goes to war with the drug dealers in the region

Are you saying that the dialogue was inaudible or that the actors struggled to make Old English their own language?

I was just looking back to my reaction at the time:
Primarily for me the dialogue was incomprehensible at times from just about all the principle characters - most often but not exclusively when their lines were delivered at a faster pace. I don't think the archaic use of language came naturally to any of them which I suspect played a part in lines sometimes sounding somewhat garbled.

And yes, you could detect Kate Dickie's Scottish roots on occasion though for the most part she hid it well enough.

Primarily for me the dialogue was incomprehensible at times from just about all the principle characters - most often but not exclusively when their lines were delivered at a faster pace. I don't think the archaic use of language came naturally to any of them which I suspect played a part in lines sometimes sounding somewhat garbled.

And yes, you could detect Kate Dickie's Scottish roots on occasion though for the most part she hid it well enough.
Yeah, she did.

Where are you from Chypmunk? It's just this is one of those occasions when it's useful to know because we're talking about dialects etc. I'm from Lancashire.

Yeah, she did.

Where are you from Chypmunk? It's just this is one of those occasions when it's useful to know because we're talking about dialects etc. I'm from Lancashire.
Rep of Ireland - don't have a problem with UK dialects in general unless they are particularly pronounced as much of our televisual watching is UK based output.

Rep of Ireland - don't have a problem with UK dialects in general unless they are particularly pronounced as much of our televisual watching is UK based output.
Ah right – not that far away then .

Incidental I know but I like the actress Lynda Steadman, who's from Belfast, and she's fantastic at accents. So good that I had no idea whatsoever that she was Irish when I saw her in Career Girls.

Ah right – not that far away then .

Incidental I know but I like the actress Lynda Steadman, who's from Belfast, and she's fantastic at accents. So good that I had no idea whatsoever that she was Irish when I saw her in Career Girls.
Aye just a short hop and a wee swim away

Can't say hers is a name I'm particularly familiar with tbh but looking on IMDb I'm sure I must have seen her in one or more of The Bill, Kavanagh QC or Murphy's Law.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Good Will Hunting

I may have been the only person that never saw this. As easy as I suspend belief, I dunno about this one. More Cole Hauser would have helped.

Rushmore

In light of his recent model/diorama movies, this is what I love about Wes Anderson.

Aye just a short hop and a wee swim away

Can't say hers is a name I'm particularly familiar with tbh but looking on IMDb I'm sure I must have seen her in one or more of The Bill, Kavanagh QC or Murphy's Law.
No, she isn't well-known. She was in Thief Takers as well and I didn't remember – but in a way that's not a terrible thing for a character actor . What's funny to me as a kind of lapsed Doctor Who fan is that she played Christopher Eccleston's wife in Hearts and Minds and Paul McGann's wife in Blood Strangers. Then I discovered a great little short film, Milk, which is on YouTube, where her husband's played by Stephen McGann (no Who connection but still ). Fans like these coincidences.

Excellent documentary. Fascinating fact that I was unaware of: only two countries in the world employ direct-to-customer advertising of drugs. (Think of all the drug commercials on TV.) The countries are America & New Zealand.

Really good movie.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Nothing but Trouble

How much juice did Akroyd have getting $40 mil to make this in 91'?

Still Tupac's best film.