Do very long movies discourage you?

Tools    

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
Today I'm watching Blade Runner 2049. Quite frankly, the reason I've set this film aside for a week and a half is because of the length. 2 hours and 43 minutes!! It's been a problem for me admittedly. I'm a firm believer that a good story is a good story regardless of technical aspects like length. But I have to push myself to watch very long movies. I'm not very good at binge watching TV shows like a lot of people because I get fatigued frustratingly easy. I watch 4 episodes at the most. The reason I haven't watched The Two Towers and Return of the King is because they are like 4 hours each! I just bought them on Blu-ray though, so I'm definitely have no choice now.

Anyway, do you think directors should be able to tell a complete story in 2 hours? Or do you think that a 2 hour 40 minute+ movie is exciting if the movie is good? Would love to know opinions from fellow film fans.

As long as the films has a good story I don't care how long it is

Some of my favourite 2.5 hour + movies

Goodfellas
Fight Club
Mulholland Drive
The Departed
The Dark Knight
Inglourious Basterds
Prisoners
Pulp Fiction
Gladiator
Boogie Nights
The Revenant
Zodiac
There Will Be Blood
The Thin Red Line
The Godfather
Magnolia
Barry Lyndon

Maybe you should wait for the new blade Runner to come out on DVD, so you can pause it and move around as you please.

If your story has alot to tell, it deserves to be long. You COULD tell every story on Earth in 2 hours, but you shouldn't, alot of them would be butchered and crap. I don't necessarily think a 160 min movie can be exciting, but it can be good (Take Pulp Fiction for example).

About your situation with the Lord of the Rings, watch half of the film on one night and the next half on the next night.
But I say you'll be so invested in Return of the King you won't want to stop!

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I was fine with the length of LOTR trilogy but these days, not so much. I get too fidgety and need to go outside for a stretch. I didnt realise BR was that long. Might have to wait to watch at home so I cn control the remote.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Not even 3 hours and you call it long?

Bitch, please...

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
There have been "long" movies for 100 years now. If you have more important things to do, don't watch them. If,you love movies, then it's more for you to love or at least think about and discuss.

I do not mind so much usually - The New World seemed to last for years, not that I did not like it - but damn.....

It takes a certain mindset going in to really appreciate the movie, and I did watching it at home recently - but man did it drag in the theater.

I felt like I was staring at trees forever.

كُنْ فَيَكُونُ
Bela Tarr's Satantango is one of my favourite films and that is a shocking 7 hours! Yet it only feels like 2 hours when you get into the flow of the film.

It think the quality vs quantity idea applies to film lengths. Adding to that, some films that are only 50 minutes long can be hard to get through.

In the sense that longer movies are somehow inherently less enjoyable, no, long movies don't discourage me. However, it is much harder to block out time in my day to watch very long films, so in that sense, I guess yes. The only reason I haven't seen Lawrence of Arabia yet is because taking the time to watch a nearly-4-hour film is arduous. It'll happen some day, but a shorter film is definitely easier in that getting myself to find the time to watch 90 minutes of something is a lot more convenient than 228 minutes.

Some of my favorite films are longer than 2 hours and 40 minutes, so it's not that I don't enjoy them. It's simply a matter of day-to-day convenience.

Edit: Update: I saw Blade Runner 2049, and it was 10000% percent worthy of the lengthy run time. Masterpiece of a film by a masterful director and cinematographer (and everyone else that worked on the film). Villeneuve continues to assert himself as among the very best working today, and Deakins is incomparable as always (if he doesn't get the oscar it'll be a d*mn tragedy). Can't wait to go see it again.

Blade Runner 2049 is not worth 2 hrs and 45 minutes.

Someone once said that a good movie is always too short & a bad movie is always too long. I agree with this.

A system of cells interlinked
Bladerunner 2049 ended, and I was ready to buy another ticket and sit down and watch it again. As others have mentioned, it really depends on the film. I have seen BR2049 twice now, and there will be plenty more viewings in my future.

I think you want to make a movie longer then 150mins than you need to have earned it with some established critical success already

As long as the films has a good story I don't care how long it is

Some of my favourite 2.5 hour + movies

Goodfellas
Fight Club
Mulholland Drive
The Departed
The Dark Knight
Inglourious Basterds
Prisoners
Pulp Fiction
Gladiator
Boogie Nights
The Revenant
Zodiac
There Will Be Blood
The Thin Red Line
The Godfather
Magnolia
Barry Lyndon
Your first setence alone summed it all up.

As long as a film is highly compelling, I can definitely watch it for 3 hours.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Not really, I mean the cinema is different to the comfort of your own home, but I've seen myself get sucked in by a TV boxset and watch hours worth. I watched a season of 24 once over my 2 days off. It's not actually 24 hours though more like 16-18.

Not really, I mean the cinema is different to the comfort of your own home, but I've seen myself get sucked in by a TV boxset and watch hours worth. I watched a season of 24 once over my 2 days off. It's not actually 24 hours though more like 16-18.
Yes, but a TV series stops and starts so you do get a break as an episode ends.