Television Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
I've not bothered with Holmes at all. It's got that air of Doctor Who about it: Fast-paced, expensive, flashy kids TV for those with an attention deficit disorder. If all the BBC's flagship primetime dramas are gonna be like this (or Merlin) I'm sticking to BBC2 & 4.

I'm reminded of what a critic said a few years ago - BBC1 is now ITV, BBC2 is now BBC1, BBC4 is the new BBC2 and BBC3 is the most gawdawful sh*t imaginable. I added the last bit,

Holmes on TV ended when Jeremy Brett died, as well.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by Tatty
Holmes on TV ended when Jeremy Brett died, as well.
Seems so. And at least he had the decency to do smack

(This version wears nicotine patches)

I like Sherlock Holmes! and I hate Dr Who (I could be put to death for saying that by some people I know )

ep 2 was a bit messy tho I agree

I feel quite liberated in saying that I don't like the new Doctor Who. I liked it when I was a kid but when I was a kid the Doctors were Tom Baker and Peter Davison.

There's a big difference in those two and the boyband rejects that took over the role once Chris Eccleston decided that, as an actor, he'd be better off doing stuff where he was called upon to act. Not react.

I watched this weeks episode because, well, everyone told me it was worth a look. I guess it was, but it wasn't much better than I expected. What I expected was, as I told Christitne, a Dr. Who'd version of Sherlock Holmes and, tbh, that's pretty much what I got. TBF, it was more like the Chris Eccelston Dr. Who (which was just about watchable most of the time) than the other two (which are pretty bloody terrible) or Torchwood (urg) but, still, this is what I now expect from prime time BBC and it's a terrible shame.

I feel quite liberated in saying that I don't like the new Doctor Who. I liked it when I was a kid but when I was a kid the Doctors were Tom Baker and Peter Davison.
Of course you did. Tacitus, you were a kid. It was meant for you. I wasn't much of a fan of it then, tbh, but considering how I feel about fantasy and sci-fi, that's not really a surprise, is it?

I'm reminded of what a critic said a few years ago - BBC1 is now ITV, BBC2 is now BBC1, BBC4 is the new BBC2 and BBC3 is the most gawdawful sh*t imaginable.
I pretty much agree with this (including your own bit.) Just look at the documentaries on BBC2 now. Horizon, whilst interesting, often looks and sounds much like the educational programmes I watched at school. Actually, they're not as dry as those were and talk down to its audience more. Even Dispatches and Cutting Edge are starting to go that way.

Can you imagine if someone produced a documentary like The Ascent Of Man now? The effect would be like Flashforward, with almost the whole world passing out all at once. Just those possessed with intellect would be awake.

It wasn't so much as it was "that bad", it just....wasn't interesting anymore, truth be told. It became more of a chore than enjoyment.

Luckily I've still got Breaking Bad and Mad Men.

I pretty much agree with this (including your own bit.) Just look at the documentaries on BBC2 now. Horizon, whilst interesting, often looks and sounds much like the educational programmes I watched at school. Actually, they're not as dry as those were and talk down to its audience more. Even Dispatches and Cutting Edge are starting to go that way.

Can you imagine if someone produced a documentary like The Ascent Of Man now? The effect would be like Flashforward, with almost the whole world passing out all at once. Just those possessed with intellect would be awake.
I was thinking about this the other day when Top Gear was on. TG and, I'd say, Dragon's Den would be the channel's two big-hitters and they'd have been 8pm BBC1 shows 10 or 12 years ago while Celebrity Masterchef and tat like The One Show would have aired on the commercial channels.

Monkey Tennis?

I was thinking about this the other day when Top Gear was on. TG and, I'd say, Dragon's Den would be the channel's two big-hitters and they'd have been 8pm BBC1 shows 10 or 12 years ago while Celebrity Masterchef and tat like The One Show would have aired on the commercial channels.

Monkey Tennis?
This is the monkey tennis I like.

I think you're right. I saw a couple of episodes of Dragon's Den during the second series and thought it was ok. Then, while watching the first episode of series 3, I realised that it's basically X-Factor for inventors. I pretty much gave up after that.

Also, I'm not sure that The One Show would've been on ITV, as the Beeb did have Nationwide and that's all The One Show is, isn't it? C21st'd up, of course, but then, everything is, and that's the problem. I wonder how much will change once China and India have become the dominant cultures for a few decades?

I see your monkey tennis and raise you Cat Tennis!

Heh.

The thing about Nationwide was that the format was cuddly little featurettes from the BBC regions bound together by the lovely Gloria Hunniford (who used my auntie as a childminder - Caron Keating played with me when I was a baby, apparently, Lord rest her ). The One Show is verging on Richard & Judy with celebs plugging books or films for the entire half hour with either stuff that Watchdog thought beneath it or Schools Programmes history guff splicing it together.

It wants to be Nationwide but really it is the Alan Titchmarsh or Paul O'Grady Show without an audience full of grannies.

Aaaanyway. That walking show with Titchmarsh? Partridge would be proud...

Heh.

The thing about Nationwide was that the format was cuddly little featurettes from the BBC regions... The One Show is verging on Richard & Judy with celebs plugging books or films for the entire half hour with either stuff that Watchdog thought beneath it or Schools Programmes history guff splicing it together.

It wants to be Nationwide but really it is the Alan Titchmarsh or Paul O'Grady Show without an audience full of grannies.
It is now, which is a shame (not that I was a fan before, but at least it was watchable when I was too full/tired/lazy to reach the remote control) and I blame the fame culture for it. For reasons I don't understand, people thought Childs was good, or cuddly or something and ITV need something to try and tempt more viewers. While someone also decided that Christine whatsherface was attractive and she did the dancing show, attracting the attentions of men who had to watch it with their wives and who read the Mail or the Express, so she was suddenly in the papers everyday. This leads to her going to the places/parties that they do and then she landed a footballer. Both think they're hot **** and leave/don't have their contract renewed.

Frankly, the only good thing about all this is that I've noticed that, for now at least, this lady has taken over presenting duties.

Aaaanyway. That walking show with Titchmarsh? Partridge would be proud...
What's that? Titch walking? I've not even heard of that, but you're right, even that sounds like Partridge gold.

I've always thought Gabby Logan looks too much like her dad. Sorry.

It's funny, but I used to occasionally watch The One Show for exactly the same reasons as you. I'd be at my tea and the local news had just finished so BBC1 stayed on while I was deciding what to do with my evening. Adrian and Christine did have some kind of chemistry, it's true, although I think it was mainly based on him fancying her and she being a nice happy smiley kind of gal who would let him down really gently. Every week.

It gets switched off now, especially when that weird ex-Blue Peter bloke is presenting.

Yeah, Titchmarsh-goes-on-a-walk-with-a-celeb is now running (or walking). I've not seen it myself. Please believe me!

Yeah, Titchmarsh-goes-on-a-walk-with-a-celeb is now running (or walking).
With a celeb?!?! It sounds too awful for words. It's gotten so bad now that even the mighty Titch can't have his own show without having a 'celeb' in tow. BTW, did you know that Hedwig & The Angry Inch is on FilmFour atm?

As for Gabby, I don't see her dad and I really don't want to.

I don't think it at all fits the character of Watson to have a blog. He's more of the "what is this crazy blog thing the kids are talking about today, Holmes?" Then Sherlock would explain it to him while at the same time making a devastating insult.