The MoFo Top 100 Neo-noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

AWARDS?

Mulholland Drive received a lot of nominations and awards. These are some of the most notable:
  • Four (4) Golden Globe Award nominations, including Best Motion Picture
  • Four (4) Saturn Award nominations, including Best Action/Adventure/Thriller Film
  • Two (2) BAFTA Film Award nominations, including a win for Best Editing (Mary Sweeney)
  • Two (2) Cannes Film Festival nominations, including a win for Best Director (Lynch)
  • One (1) Academy Award nomination for Best Director (David Lynch)

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
OK, I start revealing from lower spots on my ballot.

Guilty as Sin (1993) was my one-pointer #25.

Obviously, there is another supporter of this movie since it didn't show among the one-pointers group.

Don Johnson and Rebecca De Mornay in their best years, supported by Jack Warden and directed by Sidney Lumet in a very interesting story. What's More?
I've enjoyed it a lot when it came out in theatres and numerous more times since then.
I've always wondered why this film is so vilified. Otherwise, It could been much higher on my list.

A system of cells interlinked
I've always wondered why this film is so vilified.
I think it comes down to people just having a strange aversion to Don Johnson for some reason. I like most of the films I have seen him in, and I thought he did a good job in Miami Vice.

Yeah, there have been a couple of interesting pairings, which I tried to highlight as the countdown progressed. For example:

Three (3) Tom Ripley film adaptations coming *almost* back-to-back-to-back:

99. The American Friend
96. The Talented Mr. Ripley
94. Purple Noon
Thief, not to disrupt the thread, but if you haven't yet seen Ripley, the 2024 8-part series starring Andrew Scott and Dakota Fanning, you must watch it. It's phenomenal.

Thief, not to disrupt the thread, but if you haven't yet seen Ripley, the 2024 8-part series starring Andrew Scott and Dakota Fanning, you must watch it. It's phenomenal.
Thanks for the recommend, Doc.

Mulholland Drive (2001)

A couple of years ago I finally sat down to watch this picture after avoiding it for 20 years. There were several enjoyable elements, chiefly the superb acting of Naomi Watts in a role that demanded the use of a wide range of her acting chops; but also the production’s obvious technical achievements, such as Lynch’s use of Crayola type colors in his sets, and also the first rate cinematography by Peter Deming. The art and production designers certainly had a work out as well.

The film is basically a lesbian fantasy wrapped in an abstract and often incoherent neo-noir mystery. At times the primitive scenes are morphed into something entirely new with no explanation. The actors played against a dream-like but pretentiously incongruous or muddled narrative made it seem like someone’s graduate film school project. During other passages the action and suspense were very Hitchcockian. Yet at no time did I feel as if I were watching a great motion picture.

Some of the film is very comparable to abstract painting, as it is in other segments of Lynch’s movies: make of it what you will. There is no “right” answer, which allows endless speculation and intellectualization. The story starts as a mystery with the common noir trope of amnesia, and ends with a disquieting thud, followed by a mysterious uttered coda. The film has dream-like quality for sure, but it’s not surrealism. Some find the picture endlessly hip, while others might consider it artsy bunco. I lean toward the latter. It’s likely that Lynch has not revealed its meaning simply because it has no meaning.

The cast was enjoyable, from the brief cameos by Robert Forester and Dan Hedaya, to the smoldering sensuality of Laura Harring (in her best Rita Hayworth impersonation). Naomi Watts, who puts me in mind of a 20th Century Teresa Wright (Shadow of a Doubt), is the keystone of the movie, and she came through in spades. Justin Theroux as the director Adam Kesher was put through the hoops, and provided some of the minimal comedy. It was delightful to see the great Ann Miller as Coco, the landlady, in her last film screen role.

In the final analysis I experienced the film much the same as when listening to a great jazz solo. I enjoy it, notice several outstanding portions, but resist analyzing it any further.

It didn't make my top 25.

I think it comes down to people just having a strange aversion to Don Johnson for some reason. I like most of the films I have seen him in, and I thought he did a good job in Miami Vice.
I, on the other hand, have a soft spot for Don Johnson thanks to his time on Nash Bridges. I think I'll check out Guilty As Sin.

I forgot the opening line.
10. Mulholland Drive - This one didn't make my list, but oh man, Mulholland Drive is so fun to watch. If I could change the world, one of the first things I'd go for is "more films like Mulholland Drive" - absolutely inscrutable, with surrealism which earns that "surreal" tag because it warps reality into impossible positions, and makes you question everything (and then question your questions.) Only David Lynch could make something like this - and although it was meant to be a television series and feels like there are scenes missing, I don't think it was meant to make any more sense. Is it the dream of a dying woman? Is it the dream of an already dead woman? Perhaps it takes place in hell? (Always a favourite go-to for me and surreal films.) Welcome Naomi Watts to the big time in the U.S. as well - we knew her here in Australia where she started in TV commercials in the 80s as a teenager (there's a famous "dinner with Tom Cruise" one here - I'll post it below), and then soap operas and TV mini series, along with Aussie movies. This was her big break. Not on my ballot, but a great movie.

Seen 66/91

Naomi Watts, missing out on meeting Tom Cruise :

Latest Review : Mona Lisa (1986)

I forgot the opening line.
While we wait for the reveal, have some fun with a simple game:

Neo-Noir by actors
13/13 - but I had a mental blank, and the timer just kept on creeping down until I finally snagged the last one with 0:49 to go! I regret nothing though. (Also, Lucky Number Slevin is known as The Wrong Man here in Oz, so I deserve credit for knowing that at least.)

If you're a fan of Mulholland Drive and like listening to podcasts, I did a special episode of mine a couple of years ago dedicated solely to analyze the Club Silencio scene. Feel free to check it out!

The Movie Loot - Special Episode VI (Mulholland Drive)

I really enjoyed your analysis! Is there a place I can easily find your other podcasts?

Mulholland Drive is my #2. It's an extremely haunting, beautiful, and tragic movie. In odd ways, it reminds me of Shakespeare. Mostly two person scenes, filled with tragedy and misunderstanding. So much time and energy is spent unraveling our main character, when it would be so easy to simply dismiss her, as so many characters do.

WARNING: spoilers below
I can't think of any other movie where a character filled with so many negative qualities is made so sympathetic. What Diane 'feels' is ultimately the only real things in her life (and dreams). Everything else is fake.

Only one neo-noir film surpasses it...

Forgot to mention this is my last update but I had Dark City at number 13. I am one of the people who get annoyed with Kiefer Sutherland's hyperventilating but the rest of the movie is so strong I can overlook that.

Drive was number 14 for me. This is based more off of my rating after watching it the first time than anything else. Apparently I REALLY liked it but never watched it again. That's a little weird for me.

Fargo was my number 5. I couldn't get enough of this one after I first watched it but I may have overdone it and I haven't watched it in years. That doesn't take anything away from it though, it's a great pic and if this countdown had happened 20 years ago it would be number 1. Macy was robbed that year at the Academy Awards.

I'm assuming most people here are familiar with how Mulholland Drive came to be, but for anybody that isn't, here's a good read...

Inside the Making of Mulholland Drive, David Lynch's Dark, Freudian Masterpiece

Conceived as a TV pilot, shelved for a while, repurposed as this bizarre, nightmarish dream-like of a film. It's impressive, to say the least.

I really enjoyed your analysis! Is there a place I can easily find your other podcasts?
Thanks for the kind words! You can look for it on any podcasting app/platform like Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or any other. You can also click the link on my signature. I think it leads you to here.