MoFo-Netflix Circle of Love

Tools    

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I recently broke down and signed up for Netflix. I shattered my own vow of supporting indepedent business and scribbled my soul away to the machine. And that machine better be fun!

Anyways, I just noticed Sedai mention in the shoutbox he was getting A Boy and His Dog from Netflix today, so I was wondering who else has the scourge, er, Netflix? Let's get a MoFo circle of friends going on. It'll be an interesting way to see what movies people actually are renting. So if anyone wants to offer up their email addy to be added to anyones Netflix friends list, here is the place to do so.

peter (at) basement-films.net

And for anyone that would, don't give me any lip about the movies I've rated. The first wave of films I rated don't actually reflect my opinion on those movies, I just rated them in whatever way I thought I should so that Netflix wouldn't recommend me similar movies that I have seen, I want it to recommend movies that I've never seen nor heard of. And it seems to have worked pretty well, so far.

A system of cells interlinked
sedai (at) comcast.net

I've tried it before and I may get it again. I rent too many movies from Blockbusters, why not rent several for $9.99 a month? Netflix allowed me to see Killer Tongue, which I couldn't find anywhere else.

I am having a nervous breakdance
It's at time like this I wish I lived in America.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Netflix is a U.S. based, mail DVD rental service. Basically, you sign up for one of their plans (they have varrying prices/benefits), browse their online database (which is a might impressive), select what movies you want to see and they mail them to you.

If you go with their most popular (and best) plan, you get 3 at a time, with no limit as to how many you can take out a month. You can keep the discs as long as you want, just mail them back in the prepaid envelope it came in whenever you're done and once they recieve it (usually a day later), they'll mail you out the next movie(s) in your queue.

I actually only recently signed up for the service, as I like to support indepedent business, but when I got back to Tallahassee (where I go to school) a week ago and rented a flick from my favorite store I felt betrayed that the price had gone up to $3.05. I love independent business, I've only ever worked for independent businesses, but charging me $3.05 for a movie I get to keep for only two nights will just be financially crippling at the rate I rent movies, so I decided to pay the $17.99 monthly fee for Netflix and get as money movies as I want.

It is a pretty sweet deal.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
What the poodle is this Netflix jazz all about?
Think ScreenSelect without the warehouse fires...

I haven't been sent anything in a week.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
How quick is it from when you mail out a movie to when you get a new one with Netflix?

Originally Posted by Strummer521
How quick is it from when you mail out a movie to when you get a new one with Netflix?
I've only recently started the service, so someone else would be better at answering, but from other people I've known it is usually next day service. If you mail them out Monday, they get it on Tuesday, you'll have new DVDs on Weds.

Though for full disclosure, the first DVDs I got were supposed to arrive Weds and didn't arrive until Thursday. That may or may not be due to the excess flood (no pun intended) of mail traffic in the Gulf coast area...

Half man, half machine
[email protected]

"If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed." - Stanley Kubrick

"Your intellect may be confused, but your emotions will never lie to you." - Roger Ebert

A system of cells interlinked
No catch that I have discovered so far, and the service has been great. I still buy DVDs as well, but only the films I really love. It has been next day service for us so far, and we tend to mail one out each day, ensuring we are getting one back each day as well. We do tend to skip nights though, which throws a wrench in the gears, but some nights we just don;t get to watch a film. I have no complaints at all, especially since we used to be super bad about returns, and have wasted a ton of cash in late fees. Netflix is perfect for lazy people.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Sedai
No catch that I have discovered so far, and the service has been great. I still buy DVDs as well, but only the films I really love. It has been next day service for us so far, and we tend to mail one out each day, ensuring we are getting one back each day as well. We do tend to skip nights though, which throws a wrench in the gears, but some nights we just don;t get to watch a film. I have no complaints at all, especially since we used to be super bad about returns, and have wasted a ton of cash in late fees. Netflix is perfect for lazy people.
What he said.
I've had it for nearly 2 years and have had no trouble at all with the service, have seen a ton of great films without wandering around in a video store or having to pay late fees. I've averaged about $2.30 per film, because the turnaround allows me to see 3-4 films a week.

MovieForums Extra
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
What he said.
I've had it for nearly 2 years and have had no trouble at all with the service, have seen a ton of great films without wandering around in a video store or having to pay late fees. I've averaged about $2.30 per film, because the turnaround allows me to see 3-4 films a week.

What she said. I usually have the movies in 2-3 days. I love their recommendations. I've seen so many interesting movies that I never would have heard about. I like the way they follow my queue and not just send something from somewhere on my list. I think its the best $17.99 I spend all month. (Now, if I could only review the movies like Sammy, I'd be doing all right!)

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by birdygyrl
What she said. I usually have the movies in 2-3 days. I love their recommendations. I've seen so many interesting movies that I never would have heard about. I like the way they follow my queue and not just send something from somewhere on my list. I think its the best $17.99 I spend all month. (Now, if I could only review the movies like Sammy, I'd be doing all right!)
You should do it, birdy!

My life isn't written very well.
[email protected]

Yeah, love Netflix. I joined because I have recently become a fan of Asian horror films and Netflix seems to carry them all! After returning a movie, I usually get my next queued selection in 2 days! Yes the " Film's you might Like" selections are one's that I've already seen, but if you know how to navigate through the website,. they are easy to ignore.

r66-The member who always asks WHY?