The Election News and Predictions Thread

Tools    

I have a few questions about PC. How do you think it became widespread? Do you think a bunch of people around the same time developed similar ideals or one person or a group caused it? If its the latter (which is much more likely) is it a bunch of early tweets from a few people that would never be heard without the Internet but because of the internet, it changed the mind of millions, college professors or the media or all of the above? And do you think some people have felt like this for a while but the numbers were few and only grew because those people who had those opinions couldn't spread them without the internet? That's my personal guess without doing research and I would like to hear what you think.

Also, for everyone - How were your political beliefs modeled? Were they based off your parents? Based on school? Based on the internet or independent thinking based on reading mostly nonbiased stuff?

Okay, they are pissed about the outcome because they didn't get what they personally wanted, but why "protest"?

I think someone else already made this point - but, in this country, the purpose of large public protests is to claim a major injustice was committed or to get something that is ethically, morally or legally wrong changed.

If they are not claiming some sort of injustice was done (which would mean they no longer accept the electoral process or thought someone tampered with it or cheated) then amassing large public protests would be like closing roads because your football or baseball team lost (and lost fair and square - unless, as I said, they believe there was foul play or want the process they claimed to support changed.)

If people don't like the outcome, they can complain to their family, friends & co-worker - like the rest of us do when the candidate we didn't vote for wins.

But these people are closing streets - preventing ambulances from getting to hospitals and police, emergency respondoes and fire trucks from getting to emergencies.

If they don't feel there was an injustice or cheating, then what are they "protesting"?
Because its better than them rioting! Seriously, its better this is happening than riots throughout the nation! Its because they arent emotionally able to take this one on the chin, some may feel as wounded as when theres a horrible court verdict regarding some police abuse against a black kid. He stirred up lot of emotions throughout his campaign, he got the attention and free press he was wanting. He won. This is the result. Its not opinion, its not a right or wrong, its a reaction to him winning. Thats why theyre doing it. Theyre being politically correct by protesting and not rioting.

They got one of the protesters on the radio show I listen to today. The imbecile said he was protesting Trump because of his hatred towards gays and transgenders. He had no idea that Trump supported gay marriage before Clinton or Obama.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
If they don't feel there was an injustice or cheating, then what are they "protesting"?
Are these really protests or tantrums? I just can't help but notice how young most of the Democrat's supporters are.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
My politics have been based on my own studying, research and observations of what I see as the objective truth.

I have a few questions about PC. How do you think it became widespread? Do you think a bunch of people around the same time developed similar ideals or one person or a group caused it? If its the latter (which is much more likely) is it a bunch of early tweets from a few people that would never be heard without the Internet but because of the internet, it changed the mind of millions, college professors or the media or all of the above? And do you think some people have felt like this for a while but the numbers were few and only grew because those people who had those opinions couldn't spread them without the internet? That's my personal guess without doing research and I would like to hear what you think.

Also, for everyone - How were your political beliefs modeled? Were they based off your parents? Based on school? Based on the internet or independent thinking based on reading mostly nonbiased stuff?
I could write volumes in trying to answer - but to keep it short - as you suggested it was probably a lot of different things. And the foundations of the philosophy began long before the Internet, although mass communication & social media has played a huge role in expanding it. As well as the general "media" and the educational systems, especially at the university level.

As I said, the base intentions of PC are good - they are things like be respectful, don't hurt other's feelings, everyone is equal, don't judge others without cause, don't judge groups because of actions of individuals, etc., etc.

But some people found that attempts to "balance the scales" sometimes resulted in personal gains for themselves, or those they represented or in political gains. With this realization of increased leverage, the causes began to expand along with the strategies to create more causes through more perceived offenses and injustices (even if they have to be manufactured). Basically, those nice ideals became corrupted by greed (for money, power, status, special rights, entitlements, etc.)

As they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

They got one of the protesters on the radio show I listen to today. The imbecile said he was protesting Trump because of his hatred towards gays and transgenders. He had no idea that Trump supported gay marriage before Clinton or Obama.
I listened to a bunch of protester interviews and they all ended up begging more questions than they answered.

One guy said he was worried his parents would be deported. The interviewer asked if he was a citizen. He said he was, but his parents were here illegally and they had every right to be here. (What? Why are his parents here illegally? Why don't they go get the documents that others get who go through the legal process? What right do they have to be here if they are trespassing?)

Another guy said he was worried Trump would reinstate stop and frisk and this would put thousands of minority men back into prison. (Well, I have no idea about Trump reinstating that, but why would it put minority men "back" into prison? It was obvious that the guy was saying that minority men would be found with illegal firearms, weapons and drugs they are out to sell on them. Right? Otherwise, if you had no illegal stuff on you, you wouldn't get sent to prison after being frisked.)

There were many more and none of them had answers that didn't add up to: "We want to break the laws or continue breaking laws and we're afraid Trump might stop that."

My politics have been based on my own studying, research and observations of what I see as the objective truth.
So are mine.

Oh, thanks for that - I wondered what it was. The whole thing reminded me of Trump's entrance to "We Are the Champions" at the Republican National Convention.

lol @ people saying hes going to bring unity.seriously? unity to whom? white men? dont think theres a problem with unity there.
Unity for women he assaults?women he rates on rates on looks?unity to the women he wants to take the rights from?troubled kids-you know,the ones he thinks will be great in bed? unity with minorities?

trump has said several times that hes against gay marriage.

lol @ people saying hes going to bring unity.seriously? unity to whom? white men? dont think theres a problem with unity there.
Because there is a reasonably high probability he'll end up enacting centrist policies. That's one of the reason so many conservatives opposed him in the first place. Some of his larger stances are more liberal than conservative (trade), and most of his campaign appears to have been more about symbolism and cultural signaling than actual policy. And the reaction to the results shows that a lot of the opposition is based in the same thing.

I understand people who have voted for him have voted because they agree on or envision him agreeing to certain policies,but i dont understand people who think a sexist and a racist is going to unite anyone.

In the Beginning...
i dont understand people who think a sexist and a racist is going to unite anyone.
He has a long way to go in earning respect and cooperation, for sure. Words have power, and Donald Trump's have often been arrogant, offensive, intellectually vapid, and dangerous. For a lot of people, that won't be easily forgotten.

Also not easily forgotten are the years of angry, spiteful rhetoric hurled at President Obama, dating back even to 2009 when the man took office, and I don't think that can be overlooked or discounted. I'm a pretty reasonable guy and I understand a lot of that was nothing more than baseless, ignorant rambling, but there is only so much "Obummer this" and "go back to Kenya that" that a person can take.

Already, some of my right-leaning acquaintances who, for years, used these various insults relentlessly have suddenly transformed into judicious statesmen, championing honor and respect for the presidency. It's just laughable. Obviously, I'm not going to turn hypocrite and start peppering news boards with derisive messages about President "Chump," but I'm not apt to extend olive branches anytime soon either. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Im more worried that it IS going to be forgotten actually-the simple fact that he got elected whilst saying and doing all of these things,not matter how well he does or how much he changes,sends an incredibly dangerous message about the true feelings of americans on sexual abuse and rascism. Also just how blurry the line has gotten between entertainment and reality.