The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Holidays have put me behind again, I see.

Picking up where I left off, The Night of the Hunter left me cold when I saw it many years ago, but it is so highly respected that I suspect there's a decent chance I was wrong/in the wrong mood/misreading the film/etc., so at some point I will watch it again and see what happens. North by Northwest is super entertaining but was not the Hitchcock I happened to pick for my my list.

As I said upthread, The (og) Terminator is my favorite of the two (they only made two of these... right?), so happy to see it appear (though tbh my top 100 list could easily have 200 movies on it). Gone with the Wind ... well, I think I concur with just about all the preceding comments about it, even, maybe especially, the ones that contradict each other. It's epic and overlong, racist and of its time, gorgeous and ugly. It belongs on this list and nowhere near it. Films tell our story, and sometimes our story gets it terribly wrong but still reveals some hidden truths about us.

Come and See is high on my list of movies to see, if with trepidation. And we finally come to my Wilder pick, Sunset Blvd., which was #16 on my list. I've got 24 movies rated 10/10 and this is one of them.

Neither Fight Club nor No Country for Old Men made my list, but both are excellent and worthy. I watched Fight Club recently and the way it illuminates the paths of alienated young men at the turn of the century looks quite prescient in retrospect.

Amadeus is difficult to assess as I haven't seen it in probably 30 years but I rated it highly at the time. For Raging Bull, see my reaction to The Night of the Hunter.

The Third Man was #8 on my list--a movie that I love and admire. The Exorcist didn't make my list but it's a terrific horror film that holds up remarkably well even almost 50 years on.

I'll never not be slightly be slightly aggrieved by the sting at the end of The Silence of the Lambs--it's a terrific piece of filmmaking but it also places the audience squarely on the side of Lecter without pulling us up short. Chilton may be loathsome but he doesn't deserve his fate. Still and all, the movie as a whole is brilliant, even if it wasn't on my list. No Bergman films made my final list, but Persona would have been a top option.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Here's some random BS written over the years about the first film [which is super duper entertaining - no matter how strange that may sound] before I get to some specific BS about the second.

The Silence of the Lambs came out on Valentines Day, so Brenda and I had a nice romantic evening after watching that.

I don't think all that much about an actor's sexuality while I'm watching the film. I mean, I care about whether the performance is believable but that's about it. I also don't want to "out" any actors, not that I can really do that, but Jodie Foster has mostly (only?) played straight characters although in her case, sometimes the character isn't overly interested in sex. I was thinking of Clarice in The Silence of the Lambs, but I always felt there was a physical attraction between her and Kasi Lemmons' character.

Persona (Ingmar Bergman, 1966)
Art House Rating:

I've actually watched quite a few movies recently, but a couple of them, (Noriko's Dinner Table and Persona) deserve much more thorough discussions than I've had time to get into lately. I've had to deal with some major crap (don't ask, at least not yet), but even though I know I'm only scratching the surface, I feel I've thought enough about what Persona means to me to at least open up a discussion. I'm going to shoot the works and put this out as a thread instead of posting it in Movie Tab II. I've noticed a few people listing it amongst their fave movies, even if many of these members seem to be long gone. My main desire in starting a thread is that I don't want to have to keep linking to my original post when I come up with some more specific ideas (perhaps even this week), plus I'm hoping that enough people share their ideas to make it worthy of a discussion. I'm going to try to make this first post as free of spoilers as possible, but this is the kind of discussion which will lend itself to interpretations of specific actions shown in the movie even if their meaning is unclear. In other words, the theme and "plot" are so open to interpretation that maybe there are no spoilers!

Let me get out of the way what semblance of a plot there is here first. I'm not going to go into too many details because that would be spoiling, but I'm going to discuss what I think the "apparent" plot is. Elisabeth (debuting Liv Ullmann) stops speaking in the middle of a stage performance of Elektra, and she's subsequently taken to a hospital where it's determined that she's physically healthy and may be suffering from something psychosomatic. Either way, she still cannot or will not speak. Outgoing nurse Sister Alma (Bibi Andersson) agrees (perhaps against her better judgment) to accompany Elisabeth to a remote island home where the doctor hopes that Alma's personality will draw out the now-mute actress's voice. Along the way, mysterious things happen, which may be fantasy, dreams or reality. In fact, there may be only one woman on the island, but if there is, which one is it?

Most of the discussions which I've seen about Persona seem to start off with the concept that the film is somehow about transference and is crammed with Freudian imagery, especially in the opening, closing and midway sections. Now, I want to keep those interesting, legitimate ideas in the bank account, so to speak, and spend my initial post discussing that I think there is an even more overriding concept found in the film. Most of the mysteries which the film seems to conceal (more than it reveals) involve communication between people. Now, it's true it could be communication between the two central characters in the film, who are set up to be very similar yet utterly different (or perhaps even two halves of the same person). It can just as easily be communication by any artist who is trying to connect with the audience, and the audience's capability of understanding what the artist intends. Here the artists would be writer/director Bergman and his cinematographer, the incredible Sven Nykvist. I want to bring this up because of the way the film begins and ends with the arc light of the film projector coming on and turning off. The film goes out of its way to tell you that it's a movie, but immediately the viewer seems to be confused, if not at what is being shown, then why it's being shown and what its meaning is.

While it's true that the seemingly-surreal images at the beginning concern sex, violence and death, they also produce some stirrings of life. A boy, who seems to be in a morgue, awakens to find blurred images on a white wall of the two lead characters. Later in the film, "both" women discuss (although only one talks) past experiences concerning their "children". I can accept the young boy as either or both of the women's sons, but I can also see him as a young Ingmar Bergman, straining to make out images on a wall which he feels he is unable to communicate with his audience. This way, the meaning of what happens in the film "proper" can be interpreted in more than one way and still work for the viewer. However, I believe that the easiest way for a viewer who finds Persona or most of Bergman impenetrable is to look at the "weird" scenes as a cry from an artist, or any human being, for that matter, for someone to try to understand his/her message, theme, art and accept it on a personal level. Most art is going to be appreciated by the viewer far more readily than how the artist sees it. The artist just hopes that someone can feel what they are expressing. If they can't feel, maybe their "intelligent admiration" will suffice, but a total rejection is often felt like a sharp knife.

Ultimately, I find Persona to be an initially bewildering movie which opens up upon subsequent viewings. I appreciate the various interpretations which have been passed down for forty-odd years. I watched the film for the first time in the mid-1970s at college, and I felt lost at sea, especially when some of my fellow classmates pontificated pretentiously about its "true" meanings. (You must remember that we watched the movie once, in 16mm. No VCRs, no DVDs, etc.) I now realize that my classmates had no more concept of what the film may be about than I did or even do now, although I truly believe I can find many more complex meanings for what happens in the film. For example, it's often stated as fact that the Elisabeth character only speaks once in the film, but I would have sworn that I heard her speak at least twice, and quite possibly three times. In fact, I will also swear that one of the times that Alma is supposed to have spoken, it definitely wasn't her, and if it wasn't her and it wasn't Elisabeth, who was it? Whether you like it or not, maybe we can agree that Persona is a trip. How many people do YOU see below?

Looking back at my original post, I must have made enough misstatements of fact to qualify me as a Presidential/Vice Presidential candidate.

Here they are:

1. Elisabeth is not considered to be suffering from anything psychosomatic. It appears to be a personal choice for her not to speak.

2. The doctor says that Elisabeth did "apologize" (apparently by voice) after the incident at the theatre, but she stopped talking again soon enough.

3. They don't go to an island; they go to a seaside home.

4. It's so difficult to determine who speaks during the following scenes: 1) The scene at the table where Alma is either told, or "hears" that she shouldn't go to sleep at the table"; 2) The scene where Alma is ready to throw boiling water on Elizabeth. Who cried out not to do it?; 3. The scene where Elizabeth unequivocally talks. Why did she do it? It was in the hospital, after all. Was it a flashback, a dream or a fantasy?

I also need to know if Elixabeth left her letter unclosed for a reason. Why were the points of this letter shown in isolated paragraphs? Why did Elizabeth's husband not recognize her as being different from Alma? I explained to Sarah that Elizabeth possessed Alma, but it didn't fully explain what was going on in that scene. In fact, Sarah asked me if her husband was blind because he pulled off sunglasses and couldn't seem to know who his wife was, but he did seem to know where to kiss her, so I rejected that idea.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Neither made my list, but I'm a fan of Silence of the Lambs.

Persona is a movie that is on my to watch list for the personal HoF. Gotta get to it.

Suspect's Reviews

I always felt an attraction to Kasi Lemmons as well tbh.
She had a bigger role in the book, helping Clarice with research and stuff.

Good job, you guys got it immediately.

For those who don't know, "Persona" literally translates to "mask." Hannibal's mask is...uh...a little more literal. And a lot grosser. I may have may a tiny delightful little noise when I realized these two would be paired together.

Also, one's tongue being "rare" was pulling double duty: it sounds like a food term, but it also refers to Elisabet's muteness.

Me, on the clues...

I forgot to mention this fun fact about The Silence of the Lambs: the guy who plays the small role of Pilcher is a member of my synagogue. I'm happy to report that he is very nice and not at all creepy in person; he's just a good actor.

Haven't watched Persona.

Silence of the Lambs is a wonderful movie and almost made my list, but I decided to go with two other serial killer movies, one of which should make the list but I personally hope the second one does instead.

Brian Cox's version is not bad either. I haven't watched the series, but I expect Mads Mikkelsen to be great in it.

I haven't watched the series, but I expect Mads Mikkelsen to be great in it.
He is, and so is, well, everyone else involved. I don't know if I can call it great because it's often too trippy, too dreamlike, but it's really something, and it has to be seen. There's just never been anything like it, probably ever, probably ever on TV, and definitely never on network TV.

I forgot to mention this fun fact about The Silence of the Lambs: the guy who plays the small role of Pilcher is a member of my synagogue. I'm happy to report that he is very nice and not at all creepy in person; he's just a good actor.

Last thing I saw him in was Snowpiercer...

Haven't seen Persona...or any Bergman for that matter. I do want to, but not sure where to begin.

The Silence of the Lambs is a strong horror film about a protagonist who has to learn she's good enough and tough enough to handle her job as she tackles a tough case involving a serial killer and the kidnapped daughter of a Senator. Thanks from some conversation with the intelligent psycho known as Hannibal Lecter, she finds out about the case...and herself.

Well written and directed featuring a strong turn from Foster as the FBI intern and Hopkins who delivers a performance fit enough to serve on a platter, Silence of the Lambs is an intelligent horror showcasing the darkness of man.

He is, and so is, well, everyone else involved. I don't know if I can call it great because it's often too trippy, too dreamlike, but it's really something, and it has to be seen. There's just never been anything like it, probably ever, probably ever on TV, and definitely never on network TV.

Unsurprising that considering it's made by Fuller. As a big fan of Fuller's other creations: Pushing Daisies, Wonderfalls and Dead Like Me I am kinda ashamed to admit that I still haven't watched it, even though it has been on my list. Might do it this year, though.

Last thing I saw him in was Snowpiercer...

Yeah, I believe he was in The Host as well. He’s mostly a theater actor but he’ll pop up in a movie from time to time.

Always thought that Silence of the Lambs was very good but I'm not quite sure what it is about it that makes people think it's one of the best films of all time. Has to be down to the fact that it introduces (to most audiences) a very iconic villain. Very well made film but I'm also in the camp that thinks that Manhunter might just be better, Michael Mann does a great job with his stylish direction, the images and scenes in his film are more memorable in my head.

Persona I thought was a great film when I first saw it and I'm a fan of Ingmar Bergman so I'm happy it's here. It's probably been over six years since I last saw it. I'd have to rewatch some of his stuff to come up with definitive rankings but it's probably one of my favourites along with Fanny and Alexander and Autumn Sonata, although I've enjoyed everything I've seen from him so far.

Haven't seen Persona...or any Bergman for that matter. I do want to, but not sure where to begin.
I don't know if there's a "bad" place to start for Bergman. Except for The Passion of Anna, which I couldn't even finish, I've at least respected all of the Bergman films I've seen (which I believe is 11 in total, not including The Passion of Anna since I didn't finish it). Persona is excellent. I also really liked Wild Strawberries (my favorite so far), Through a Glass Darkly, Hour of the Wolf and Smiles of a Summer Night.

Unsurprising that considering it's made by Fuller. As a big fan of Fuller's other creations: Pushing Daisies, Wonderfalls and Dead Like Me I am kinda ashamed to admit that I still haven't watched it, even though it has been on my list. Might do it this year, though.
Yeah, we probably would've tried it regardless, but Fuller's why we gave it so much of a leash, too (which it sort of needed now and then). Big fan of his. You'll probably like it. Obviously darker than his other shows (even though they always had an edge to them), but eerily beautiful.

Yeah, you gotta give credit to Bryan Fuller, and really everyone involved, for crafting something so unique out of this source material. Mads, in particular, avoids any similarity to Hopkins and makes the character his own, but Hugh Dancy is so great as the co-lead.

Yeah Dancy is a revelation, I didn't really know about him at all before. Then I learned he's married to Claire Danes. Geez, the acting talent in that family unit.

Mads going a different way than Hopkins is a good call. He's pretty cold, contra Hopkins' little bursts of energy and violence. It gives you a whole new feel for the character. With Hopkins (at least in SOTL, if not the films that follow) it often seems as if he's just a very intelligent animal and the culture is just a cover for that, maybe even a way to avoid confronting what he is (which is why he respects Clarice for calling him out on it). With Mads, he really is in control, really is the thing Hopkins' version kind of pretends to be, as if he's built his entire personality/worldview backwards from those desires. It's really interesting.

I'm far from an expert, I've only seen 3 (Seventh Seal, Smiles of a Summer Night, and Persona), but I would recommend them all. I think you've read me talking about them in RT/Corrie, but I found SoaSN to be a fairly light romantic comedy. I'm sure you know I wasn't a huge fan of SS, but I know I'm in the minority. Plus I won't deny that it's a visually impressive film. And Persona, well, I already shared my thoughts on it here.

Only hint/poem I've been able to come up with for tomorrow is probably too obvious, for at least one of the films, so let's go with this:

Tomorrow's hint: