Movie scenes that brought tears to your eyes?

Tools    

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
In the Mood For Love made me tear up a few times.

The only time I think I cried though was when she and Tony Leung talk about the prospect of him leaving permanently. He turns to walk away and she begins clutching and scratching at her arm. Then she just utterly breaks down as she's too afraid of leaving her husband to be with him. Gets me every time

movies can be okay...
Which ones do you feel this about and why? Just curious.
I feel that way about all of them except Ratatouille and Toy Story 2, which are in my opinion their best work they've produced ever.
I like Wall-E, Monsters Inc, Toy Story 1, Finding Nemo and Up but definitely not as much as the majority likes them.
As for the rest, I either despise or don't care about them.

Why ? The vast majority of these films are talked about as if they're flawless, when objectively speaking that's far from the case, at this point I think that some people like these movies just because they have Pixar written on them.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

I feel that way about all of them except Ratatouille and Toy Story 2, which are in my opinion their best work they've produced ever.
I like Wall-E, Monsters Inc, Toy Story 1, Finding Nemo and Up but definitely not as much as the majority likes them.
As for the rest, I either despise or don't care about them.

Why ? The vast majority of these films are talked about as if they're flawless, when objectively speaking that's far from the case, at this point I think that some people like these movies just because they have Pixar written in them.
I don't think anyone worth listening to talks about them like they are flawless. WALL-E is one of my favourite films but i readily admit it's wildly uneven, the middle third isn't as good as the first and last to say the least. Every Pixar film is flawed. Think most reasonable Pixar mega-fans would tell you the same (there's a few here that i know would), that shouldn't shape your view of the films IMO. Neither should the general publics affinity for a particular Company.

Objectively speaking no film is flawless.

In the Mood For Love made me tear up a few times.

The only time I think I cried though was when she and Tony Leung talk about the prospect of him leaving permanently. He turns to walk away and she begins clutching and scratching at her arm. Then she just utterly breaks down as she's too afraid of leaving her husband to be with him. Gets me every time
Oh definitely. Multiple times. This might not make sense, i've pulled it from my write-up from it but if you don't know which part i mean i'll clarify:

WARNING: "mood" spoilers below
For instance during the rehearsal scene when Chow sees Mrs Chan start to tear up you briefly see his face cracking as if he is genuinely feeling for her as well as feeling the same because it is happening to him too before he quickly composes himself and asks her if she is ok; there was so many subtle things like that which absolutely made their interactions.

That part killed me and it shouldn't have, it was surrounded on both ends by intentionally sadder scenes but that really got me. Also the end (last 20 minutes), and the part you mentioned.

And -

Great film.

movies can be okay...
I don't think anyone worth listening to talks about them like they are flawless. WALL-E is one of my favourite films but i readily admit it's wildly uneven, the middle third isn't as good as the first and last to say the least. Every Pixar film is flawed. Think most reasonable Pixar mega-fans would tell you the same (there's a few here that i know would), that shouldn't shape your view of the films IMO. Neither should the general publics affinity for a particular Company.

Objectively speaking no film is flawless.
Well I've had the unfortunate luck of encountering many and many and many peeps who worship these merchandise advertisers, just look at any major review website and tell me you don't cringe at these perfect scores of Pixar's films.
That doesn't shape my view of the films at all, just because I think they're over-hyped, doesn't mean that I take that as a negative critique against the movie, I just simply think they're over-hyped.

I would have to disagree, there are some flawless movies around, depending on what you define as flawless....A flawless film is one where all of the director's intentions are fulfilled, The Holy Mountain is a flawless film, calling it otherwise would be very unreasonable since the only reasons possible for disliking it would be subjective.

You have to know that there have been numerous threads on this subject, but I will go ahead and answer anyway. A couple of movie scenes that make me cry, no matter how many times I watch them:

The scene in Kramer Vs Kramer where Ted (Dustin Hoffman) is explaining to Billy (Justin Henry) about losing custody and how Billy will be living with his mother instead of with him.

The scene in Titanic where Rose (Kate Winslet) jumps off the lifeboat, climbs back on the ship, runs back to Jack (Leonardo DiCaprio) and he smothers her with kisses while repeating "You're so stupid, Rose!"

The scene in Brokeback Mountain where Jack (Jake Gyllenhaal) learns his weekend with Ennis (Heath Ledger) has been cancelled because he has his kids and Jack is driving away in his truck with tears falling down Jack's cheeks.

Well I've had the unfortunate luck of encountering many and many and many peeps who worship these merchandise advertisers, just look at any major review website and tell me you don't cringe at these perfect scores of Pixar's films.
That doesn't shape my view of the films at all, just because I think they're over-hyped, doesn't mean that I take that as a negative critique against the movie, I just simply think they're over-hyped.

I would have to disagree, there are some flawless movies around, depending on what you define as flawless....A flawless film is one where all of the director's intentions are fulfilled, The Holy Mountain is a flawless film, calling it otherwise would be very unreasonable since the only reasons possible for disliking it would be subjective.
Yah, i get what you're saying about people you know loving Pixar to that degree. We join these sorts of sites to discuss films with other similar movie fans though, ones that don't only watch the new Pixar or Marvel so i think they are irrelevant in this discussion. I mean i get what you mean but why would you care what someone who watches only mainstream movies, or bring them up in this sort of thread? Mainly i think most people's friends/family don't watch as many movies as them so this is an outlet for them to discuss stuff noone else cares about.

Rotten Tomatoes/Metacritic/whatever are extremely flawed to say the least. First of all their Critics Score are full of Populist Reviewers: basically guys you'd see writing a bland paragraph about 40 different movies in your local paper accompanied by a score, think there's like 3 actual Critics that contribute to those sites. There's also the fact that Rotten Tomatoes at least only has two types of review: good or bad. If some guy gave a film a 51/100 it would hold the same value as a 100/100 score because it's positive or negative, no inbetween. I think you'd appreciate actually seeking out reviews rather than looking at scores as the words may not sound as positive as you expect.

I cry at really weird / stupid things. I've cried at episodes of the Simpsons.
One really embarrassing one was when watching Watchmen with my brother - I cried at the end when Rorschach tells Dr. Manhattan to kill him with, "Well, what are you waiting for? ...Do it."

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I can't cry because I watch movies with my dad. There are times where I feel like crying but I'm unable to.
Naww you can cry. People who laugh at viewers crying in sad movies are probably crying on the inside anyway, so if he laughs at you, just give him a hug, and you can cry together. I think it's lovely the amount of Mofos who said they cried. I wouldnt laugh at any of you.

A flawless film is one where all of the director's intentions are fulfilled
And this doesn't apply to Pixar movies how?

I'd give several of Pixar's films perfect ratings, but then I rate movies based mostly on my experience watching them. I don't like to rate films too objectively because to me that takes the joy out of watching them.

As to the thread's actual subject, I cry at so many scenes. It's embarrassing how easily I tear up - whether the scene is really sad or really happy, the waterworks start going (provided I'm engaged with the characters and the story). But a few that come to mind:

The end of A Perfect World
When Ralph destroys Vanellope's cart in Wreck-It Ralph
When Lightning McQueen pushes The King across the finish line in Cars
When Two Socks and Cisco meet their demise in Dances With Wolves

I can't cry because I watch movies with my dad. There are times where I feel like crying but I'm unable to.
The one true member!

Will probably kill myself tomorrow when i realize that the funnieZ aren't an actual thing.

movies can be okay...
Yah, i get what you're saying about people you know loving Pixar to that degree. We join these sorts of sites to discuss films with other similar movie fans though, ones that don't only watch the new Pixar or Marvel so i think they are irrelevant in this discussion. I mean i get what you mean but why would you care what someone who watches only mainstream movies, or bring them up in this sort of thread? Mainly i think most people's friends/family don't watch as many movies as them so this is an outlet for them to discuss stuff noone else cares about.

Rotten Tomatoes/Metacritic/whatever are extremely flawed to say the least. First of all their Critics Score are full of Populist Reviewers: basically guys you'd see writing a bland paragraph about 40 different movies in your local paper accompanied by a score, think there's like 3 actual Critics that contribute to those sites. There's also the fact that Rotten Tomatoes at least only has two types of review: good or bad. If some guy gave a film a 51/100 it would hold the same value as a 100/100 score because it's positive or negative, no inbetween. I think you'd appreciate actually seeking out reviews rather than looking at scores as the words may not sound as positive as you expect.
How are they irrelevant in this discussion ? You asked me why do I think Pixar is over-hyped, and that was the reason, I've been subjected to many people around me and on the internet who love their films to an extreme degree, why would I care about these people's opinions on film ? I don't.

I didn't come to this thread raging about how overrated Pixar is did I ? If anything I'm just answering your question, so just as much as I'm guilty of going off topic, you're as well.

movies can be okay...

I'd give several of Pixar's films perfect ratings, but then I rate movies based mostly on my experience watching them. I don't like to rate films too objectively because to me that takes the joy out of watching them.
Because they're flawed that's how....

Because they're flawed that's how....
Right. Actually the only thing that is flawed is your definition of "flawless" and your inconsistent and illogical method of applying that definition.

movies can be okay...
Right. Actually the only thing that is flawed is your definition of "flawless" and your inconsistent and illogical method of applying that definition.
Mhmmmm...So if a movie is blessed enough to have zero mistakes and goofs, and any criticism you could have about it is subjective because the director intended for such and such to happen exactly as they did, it wouldn't be flawless ? Okay, good to know.

I mean if you're arguing that the film-makers intended to put flaws in their films, then I don't know what to say...and we're not even talking about a parody...tsk tsk.

How would this method be inconsistent if I had only applied it once so far in this thread...like what ? Just because you think that some Pixar films are flawless, doesn't mean that they actually are, objectively speaking

I mean if you're arguing that the film-makers intended to put flaws in their films, then I don't know what to say...and we're not even talking about a parody...tsk tsk.
Pick one Pixar movie and explain to me exactly how it failed to fulfill the director's intentions.