The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
I've known about the HD patch for a while, not sure if I'll ever get around to using it, but you never know...
Heh, I actually did yesterday - never preach without practising, I say!

It's not bad, that I can say, and seems to work best with this, which takes advantage of DX9 and more modern lighting effects etc. They don't exactly make the game look 'modern' but definitely tidy up the graphics. Now I need to find some sort of patch to take the resolution up to what my monitor can handle.

Welcome to the human race...
I see. Must investigate further - not too sure if the computer I currently use can handle anything too flash, though. I'm not big on PC games so I don't really have any good ones on hand.

Batman: Arkham Asylum
- Just finished playing the demo and it is by far the best Batman tie in I've ever seen. The graphics are amazing, and the animation beats any other Batman I've ever seen. Harley Quin, The Joker, Killer Croc...they're all top notch. And the story is even written by Paul Dini himself
Playin the demo is like bein Batman..literally. That's how immersed you get into the game. I suggest anyone to download this demo and try it. Especially Lennon

The game hits stores August 25th

I thought the demo was pretty mixed actually - although I'd probably still rent it to beat it once.

- hilariously bad A.I.
- annoying slow motion inserted into fistfights
- stealth mechanics in general seem pretty poor

In the Beginning...
How can anybody review a game based on the demo? Even if it's a long demo, you're still not getting the whole experience.

If Bungie had released "The Library" as a demo for Halo: Combat Evolved, I would have thought the game was repetitive and the A.I. was brainless. But the rest of the game is near-perfect, and "The Library" is really the only level of its type in the game.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I'm bummed about this recent news: Alan Wake is now coming out exclusively on the XBox 360. No PC version, unless something changes. Very bummed about this. Had been following this game development for about five years. And no, I'm not buying a 360 just to play this game....

http://forum.alanwake.com/showthread.php?t=2404

There really should be more video game characters called Alan. You can keep your Cloud Strifes and Squall Lionhearts - We want Alans, Colins, Sharons, Dereks and Mervyns!

Err, I think they chose that name so that the moniker "A. Wake" could be used. The game relies heavily upon nightmares, light/dark interplays, etc.

A system of cells interlinked
I didn't peg Alas Wake as a game would be into at all, really, Aus. If it's anything like the Max Payne stuff, the game play will be pretty intense, real-time (for the most part) third person shooter style play. Didn;t think you liked the more pulse-pounding titles. It's listed in the Action section on most sites.

That said - the premise of the game looks like it will be RIGHT up my alley...

Yeah, it might be too intense/fast-paced for me, but I was willing to give it a shot. The cool ideas of real-time weather and daylight/nighttime changes, plus the story of a writer having nightmares coming true, sounded interesting. I do play horror adventure games, so I was willing to cross the line into more action-adventure for this one and give it a try.

It's not been billed as a FPS, by the way. Or really a third-person shooter. At least, not for the past few years. If that changes at the last minute, I think a lot of folks waiting for it will be a bit peeved.

It's due out Spring 2010 ... for the XBox. Still bummed about that newest bit of news. Now I'll have to borrow my son's XBox and/or watch HIM play it.

Err, I think they chose that name so that the moniker "A. Wake" could be used. The game relies heavily upon nightmares, light/dark interplays, etc.
Doesn't matter! They could have chosen Archibald or Agamemnon but stuck with something wonderfully normal.

What I want next is for a new Tekken character called Dave.

Wait, I thought you were being snarky and making fun of the choice of "Alan." Now I'm confused. (I think I started out that way, though.)

In the Beginning...
I was rating/reviewing the demo not the actual full game. I stated that in my post LMFAO
You only said you played the demo. You didn't say anything about your rating applying to the demo and not the full game. When you post this:

And this:

Originally Posted by jrs
Just finished playing the demo and it is by far the best Batman tie in I've ever seen.
And this:

...it looks a lot like you're smitten with the game and preemptively giving it a high review before you've played the rest of it. You're also the only person I've ever seen who bothered to "rate" a video game demo.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
That's why you play it with friends and not online.

Suspect's Reviews

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Playin the demo is like bein Batman..literally.
Are you claiming that Batman plays video games?

Even if he does, I hardly think it's a salient enough characteristic of his to make you feel that you are "like Batman" you could just as easily be "like Soulja Boy." He has an XBOX too.

In the Beginning...
I played the Arkham Asylum demo, too. Great concept for a game, great graphics. The combat is fun to watch but ultimately simplistic, so I imagine it'll get old unless you'll be able to gradually acquire a variety of options for pummeling bad guys.

The stealth element is alright, but rudimentary compared to what's been done before (and your safety is not quite as easy to gauge as it ought to be). I did like the freedom they give you at the end of the demo to take out the bad guys at your leisure. Hopefully there are a lot of open-ended segments like that.

Not much to see on the "detective" element in the demo, other than apparently, you've got a sixth-sense that shows you what to do or where to go. I was hoping for something a little more Resident Evil in the way you search and solve puzzles, but whatever.

Looks like it'll be a decent Batman game in spite of our long-running dry spell of decent Batman games.