Signs

→ in
Tools    

Chri-is!!

Sheeeeeeeeeeeesh!

He doesn't have to like it, LS, but he has to give logical reasoning. The fact that it had to be about aliens defies all logic.

Thank you. First I would like to thank the Acadamy, my parents, and of course, you Yoda...my most faithful fan.

BTW SB, I understood where the argument derived from, I just think it's homorous how vehemently a fan will defend a movie he or she likes. Myself included.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I didn't love the film. I just liked it. No change after seeing it a second time.
I just like arguments too.

Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
I didn't love the film. I just liked it. No change after seeing it a second time.
I just like arguments too.

Hmm...okay. I only said like, or are you just being argumentative? Or am I?

Lets put a smile on that block
Lordy LORDY!
Just got back from seeing "Signs" at our local cinema...
Without a doubt the BEST film of the year...GEEZ that was scary, really horrible twist to the alien encounter story, and talking of twists, i had heard that this was one of his films that didnt have one! but WOW it had a good one. It makes me teary thinking about it.
AWSOME film......making my nipples hard thinking about it....

Seraph of the Void
No disrespect to anyone.

I like M Night's movies.

Sixth sense was his best..unfortunately it was also the first and all others will be judged by it until,he surpasses it.

Unbreakable was good almost great. I enjoyed it very very much.

This one I consider a very good AND very disappointing movie.

M Night seemed to borrow from many different styles in this movie.

From the Hitchcockesque soundtrack (which I found enjoyable)

To the various styles of cinematography. (e.g. the Blair Witch style when the lights go out in the basement and then the flashlight comes back on and all you saw was the little girls feet.)

There were many good things about this film and many inconsistencies.

Ok we have an alien race come to harvest humans on a world covered 70% by water...but their weakness is water?

They have invisible starships..but dont realize the spectrum of light their ships give off is viewable at night?

They can cross the immense interstellar gulfs of space and navigate to a small planet in a insignificant system...but they need crop circles for landing co-ordinates?

They use radio frequencies to communicate to each other..and they walk around naked. (you know that water problem could have been solved by an enviro suit)

They are seen over a major city but the area they are seen in is not immediately surrounded by helicopter gunships and fighter jets.

yet

The characters were very well done and M Night deserves a lot of credit. He also can make the most of child actors. The children in his stories are amazingly complex and well done characters portrayed by excellent actors and actresses.

This movie lacked M Night's trademark surprise ending. which I was expecting.

The movie was also just a bit too preachy for me. No pun intended.

It was very very suspenseful and tense. However it relied on visceral and sensual stimuli not mental terror tactics.

After all is said and done a very good but not great movie.

10=-10=0

This movie was not a zero but was a great movie with major detractions. M Night weakest movie to date but I expect great things from him and fully expect him to surpass Sixth Sense at least three times in his lifelong career.

I think it was so close to being a great movie that that in itself is scary.

This is my opinion and if yours differs I fully respect it.
"When I said my quarters were cold, I did not mean "Oh, I think it is a little chilly in here. Perhaps I'll throw a blanket on the bed." No! I said it was cold! As in, "Oh look - my left arm has snapped off like an icicle and shattered on the floor!"

I've gotta take issue with a few things.

Ok we have an alien race come to harvest humans on a world covered 70% by water...but their weakness is water?
Maybe they enjoy the challenge and sport of it, like the Predator. Besides: they scouted it first...they didn't LAND in the water. They kept to the land. Remember what Ray said? None of the sightings were near water.

They have invisible starships..but dont realize the spectrum of light their ships give off is viewable at night?
Maybe they don't care if they're seen floating there.

They can cross the immense interstellar gulfs of space and navigate to a small planet in a insignificant system...but they need crop circles for landing co-ordinates?
Perhaps it's part of their culture and tradition. Just because they're aliens with spaceships, it doesn't mean they don't have historical customs the way we do. They're not The Borg, after all. They're not necessarily 100% efficient in all ways.

That's my view, at least. There are lots of potential explanations for all this stuff. M. Night chose to leave explanations aside because, in the end, this wasn't about WHY or HOW the aliens did what they did...it was about the family reacting to the situation.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Very true about inconsistencies in cultures, Yoda.

No culture is 100% internally consistent in their cleverness and intellect. After all, at one point Americans could land on the moon, but a few scant years later we invented the leisure suit.

I don't think the merits of this film can really be debated without it all becomming a little silly.

Originally posted by FiLm Fr3aK
but
one possibilty would be He did say it meaning his son, trying to make his son angry enough to fight the attack. Get the kid angry at him and mind OFF of the pain he was feeling. I can see that. Actually I think that is highly plausible.
This is just wrong, sorry. When someone (especially a child) is having a severe asthma attack, you calm them, not excite them... agitation makes the attack worse. It's not pain that's being fought off, like a sprained ankle or something.
WARNING: "Signs" spoilers below
Remember the scene in the basement, where his son has the first attack, and he holds him in his arms and tries to calm him? Same concept

This is just wrong, sorry.
But look! He's a genius!
I wonder if he read the rest of the thread...

Yeah I know, But everybody is entitled to their two bits...even if they are made up of plug nickles...