The Videogames Tab

Tools    

Sekiro looks like it'll be the first From Software game where I go "Y'know what? **** it, I'm out"

It's more brutal than ever, and not in a fun way where you feel like you've accomplished something.
Same here, also don't like the ugly Ogres as stage bosses.. and the controls pfff.. switched buttons around but did not lead to a better result.. I got the timing, it just doesn't flow right, like DMC or Ninja Gaiden..

The game looks great though and I was tempted to try it. Maybe not then?
fuggedaboutit..

Welcome to the human race...
After beating the 2011 Mortal Kombat's story mode and about a hundred levels of the challenge tower, I decided I'd go ahead and pick up a copy of Mortal Kombat XL (gotta get those DLC movie characters, after all) and am a few chapters into that game's story mode. So far, it's proving a mild disappointment even as I want to see where a story that jumps back and forth between the present day and 20 years in the future actually goes, to say nothing of the new characters it seems to have introduced as a result (especially how there's a new squad of heroes who are all related to the original heroes).

The People's Republic of Clogher
Sekiro looks like it'll be the first From Software game where I go "Y'know what? **** it, I'm out"

It's more brutal than ever, and not in a fun way where you feel like you've accomplished something.
Brutal like difficult? Controls? I hear Dark Souls tossed out in reviews for this one. That was too much for me in pace and fights. Well, not too much I guess just I could never really get my timing right.

The game looks great though and I was tempted to try it. Maybe not then?
It's getting a ton of good press so I wouldn't discount it based on my say so alone.

I've actually wiped my save and started again, taking things a little more slowly and it seems to be helping.

The game is extremely timing focused, much more so than the Souls games and even Bloodborne. I'm only now, after about 6 hours, getting to grips with it. It's also placing a huge emphasis on stealth, which is something I'm not against, but the mechanics don't seem great. Enemies spot you from half the map away but give up far too easily for stealth to feel in any way organic.

I'll give this run a good try but if things don't click I'm moving on.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
After beating the 2011 Mortal Kombat's story mode and about a hundred levels of the challenge tower, I decided I'd go ahead and pick up a copy of Mortal Kombat XL (gotta get those DLC movie characters, after all) and am a few chapters into that game's story mode. So far, it's proving a mild disappointment even as I want to see where a story that jumps back and forth between the present day and 20 years in the future actually goes, to say nothing of the new characters it seems to have introduced as a result (especially how there's a new squad of heroes who are all related to the original heroes).
What system? PC? Console? Just curious.

I loved the MK games growing up, but that was arcade and the old Sega Genesis cartridges. About a year or two back I picked up one of the many MK titles for the PS3 and it destroyed my childhood lol. Not really, but I couldn't adapt to the controls using the L stick to tap out the moves. I guess I was still in Street Fighter mode where motions were circular. Whatever the case, I had a hard time with it. Maybe I'm just showing my age here, but I haven't put the disc in since out of complete fear of the controller cussing the world like the old hotel manager in From Dusk till Dawn.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

It's getting a ton of good press so I wouldn't discount it based on my say so alone.

I've actually wiped my save and started again, taking things a little more slowly and it seems to be helping.

The game is extremely timing focused, much more so than the Souls games and even Bloodborne. I'm only now, after about 6 hours, getting to grips with it. It's also placing a huge emphasis on stealth, which is something I'm not against, but the mechanics don't seem great. Enemies spot you from half the map away but give up far too easily for stealth to feel in any way organic.

I'll give this run a good try but if things don't click I'm moving on.
Yeah, I'm torn. I love the stealth approach and it looks VERY interesting based on videos I've seen, but then I've never been good with timing. Reading you and others highlight that specific point sets me back.

Oh well. I've got my hands full enough as it is with the three titles stacked on my desk at the moment. Maybe when I get to the point of checking it out it will be heavily discounted. That, or Ghosts of Tsushima will be out! Last I read maybe near my bday!

Hey! PS4 has a built in app for recording gameplay! Now I just need to create a new YouTube account and start posting my crappy monster hunts.

There's a whole button on the controller that I've never noticed before dedicated to just that. Huh!

I think I finally might go out and buy a Switch....I miss playing games with Mario characters haha

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Playing Spider-Man as a break from Bloodborne and rdr2. It’s so nice to be speedy and smooth and the story seems to be so light rather then heavy and serious. What a relief!

A system of cells interlinked
Logged another couple of sessions into TLD, now new and improved with my tiny adventuring companion, who lays on my chest and naps while I play.

Almost as soon as I started up this time, I was mauled by a bear, and then mauled by the same bear almost immediately again as tried to get away. I thought for sure it was GAME OVER. I somehow managed to survive, and narrowly escape back to my homestead before it could attack again.

After that scare, I managed to find the entrance to Timberwolf Mountain, and establish a decent foothold there. I am slowing exploring that area while still going back and forth to Pleasant Valley to do various things.

Finally played The Shapeshifting Detective. Pretty good time. Liked it a little less than Contradiction. The mechanic is clever and fun, but not explored as much as it could be, and the nature of the solution (which can vary from game to game) means that the logic of the mystery, by necessity, can't snap together as seamlessly as a single solution, more meticulously and less-flexibly crafted solution would be. Still pretty good under the circumstances, and the wife and I did manage to isolate the key elements we'd need to identify the murderer.

Really hope they keep making these games, though, and I wouldn't mind seeing another game with a similar mechanic, more intricately explored.

There was one moment with the Captain (played by the guy who played Jenks last time) that made us both laugh really hard, though. These games are really pleasantly enjoyable even apart from the (mostly moderate-to-minor) gameplay critiques we have with them.

I'm 25 hours into MH:W. I may not play another game again. Seriously though, this provides most of what I need in that I have a story line quest campaign to follow when I feel like investing the time and a laid back, just run around mucking about mode for side investigations, farming, or just de-stressing the soul by slaughtering small herds of whatever. I still haven't even touched RDR2 since picking this up. =\

I discovered last night that I'm apparently supposed to use several armor sets and weapon types, depending on the target monster. I mistakenly assumed that gear was progressive, where each new tier is just a bit stronger than the last. That doesn't seem to be the case as I'm noticing some of the newer sets have elemental boosts or deductions. That makes sense, since (I'm embarrassed to say how many times I had to rewrite those two words side by side unsure if I was typing them correctly) one of my latest encounters was with a silvery pissed off giant squirrel that continually stunned me with lightning and thunder. I've been leveling individual pieces of armor from a variety of sets trying to get the best individual stats, but I'm going to get knocked on my arse with that process. Now knowing this, the possibilities are CRAZY trying to level each piece of each set plus so many variations of each weapon (not to mention the NUMBER of weapon options!). The grind in this game looks to be near infinite---if that's your thing.

For perspective, there are 14 weapons available to you on day one. No leveling up, you just get them. Each weapon has a level tree option that you can then upgrade as materials become available. You CAN downgrade your path to then choose another path that may offer other stats. For example, attack speed over blunt damage. You can also forge new weapons (it seems), so that you can have two of the same weapon type but with unique progression trees applied. As to the armor, so far for each storyline quest hunt I've opened a new armor set (maybe 12 so far). Basically, you have a helmet, chest, leggings, gloves, and belt (this is from memory and I'm sure I'm not using proper in-game terminology, but you get the idea). Each piece can be leveled individually to whatever cap your character's Hunter Rank is. With each new rank, it appears as though your armor level caps increase too. For each "research" quest, you get at least 1 armor sphere which can be used to upgrade one piece of gear by one level. Later levels eventually require more per level. At some point, I'm going to have an arsenal in my item box that I can then just grab the weapon and armor set specialized for whatever monster I'm about to hunt, for EACH monster.

Point is, you're going to be running missions forever. The upside is that as long as you keep your research missions stocked, you can complete SEVERAL research missions and investigations in one run, bringing home maybe 4-10 armor spheres at a time. Go out on a "thin the herd" mission and collect your bugs, plants, and whatever other research you need at the same time. Or do all that during a story quest for even more. AND you can kill anything you find along the way for mats or any kill research missions you may have saved. I'm OK with that Skinner's Box.

MH:W may not be the game I wanted, but it's the game I needed. BATMAN! Wait. Now that I think about it, this does hit a fix that Arkham Asylum satiated. Not as well, of course, but a fix is a fix is a fix. Now about that YouTube account...

The People's Republic of Clogher
Finally played The Shapeshifting Detective. Pretty good time. Liked it a little less than Contradiction. The mechanic is clever and fun, but not explored as much as it could be, and the nature of the solution (which can vary from game to game) means that the logic of the mystery, by necessity, can't snap together as seamlessly as a single solution, more meticulously and less-flexibly crafted solution would be. Still pretty good under the circumstances, and the wife and I did manage to isolate the key elements we'd need to identify the murderer.

Really hope they keep making these games, though, and I wouldn't mind seeing another game with a similar mechanic, more intricately explored.

There was one moment with the Captain (played by the guy who played Jenks last time) that made us both laugh really hard, though. These games are really pleasantly enjoyable even apart from the (mostly moderate-to-minor) gameplay critiques we have with them.
Agreed. It's not perfect by any means but it's a lot more of an enjoyable video game than Dekker was, and if they continue to refine the formula the next game (which they're already well into writing) will be another step forward.

Contradiction is still the high water mark though, and it saddens me that we've not heard anything at all about a sequel.

Last night I was all jazzed for having downloaded a dinky video editor to the PS4 last weekend. I had recorded some game play, edited, and rendered! Last night I had time to setup a sub-account on YouTube and post! But nothing happened. I tried again, jumping through all of the hoops to sync accounts only for it to return me to my default video player app again. Reading around it looks like I will have to transfer the clip to a USB and upload through my PC. UGH. At least Sony could create a popup notice explaining the now unsupported process. I assume it's unsupported based on what I'm reading online. No clue really.

Whatever the case, I guess it will be the weekend before I can figure this out. Right now I kinda feel like my dad when the VCR clock needed resetting.

According to this reddit thread there was a possible leak concerning the release date of CP2077. That date being Oct. 18, 2019.

If that's true...I'm not ready!
R.I.P. PC.