The Best (and Worst) Summer Movies of 2005

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
I did misunderstand, then. You had said Lucas ruined Star Wras, and I took that for the whole series. My bad.

Honestly, the Best Summer ever

Name one summer where you guys have seen a lineup of better movies

GREAT MOVIES
War of the Worlds (The best of the summer IMO)
Red Eye (second best)
Batman Begins
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
The Island
Mr and Mrs Smith

IN THE MIDDLE (GOOD)
Star Wars Episode 3
Kicking and Screaming
The Longest Yard
Fantastic Four
Herbie: Fully Loaded

MEDIOCRE
Madagascar

BAD
Kingdom of Heaven (total letdown)

District B13
The funniest and best movie I saw in 2005 was the Wedding Crashers, hands down.

The most overrated movie I saw was batman begins.

The most underrated movie I saw was the Island.

The worst movie I saw was Must Love Dogs.

Just my opinion.

[quote=jrs]With only three more weeks left of the 2005 Summer Movie Season, following is a listing of what came out during the past three months. Which films do you think were the highlights, lowlights, blockbusters, or bombs?....Ya' get the idea.

I can only comment on those I saw, so here goes...

May 6th
Kingdom of Heaven

Not everyone liked Kingdom but I did. I love big historical epics, especially of the sword and sandal variety and after minor disappointments with Troy and Alexander, I was well entertained with Kingdom. Scott's theme of religion/politics/tolerance and war resonated with me and I enjoyed it. It was more than relevant in our current political environment.
May 13th
Mad Hot Ballroom

I haven't seen this but I really want to. None of my local cineplexes bother with small, great independent films. It's either wait for the DVD or drive 20 miles downtown to one of the few places that show small, quality movies.
May 19th
Star Wars Episode III: Th Revenge of the Sith

Best since Empire Strikes Back. But typical Star Wars, ho hum acting and ho hum dialogue with spectacular special effects. I liked the way everything was brought together at the end, the births of Luke, Leiah and Darth Vader.

June 3rd
Cinderella Man

Very good. Good performances all around, Crowe, Zellweger and Giamatti. It's disappointing when a good film doesn't meet expectations at the box office. The reason may be this...Crowe portrayed a good, decent family man; the depression era boxer James Braddock. Braddock was simply a competent boxer who captured the title. He wasn't a kickass violent machine like Crowe played in Gladiator and LA Confidential. One might say Crowe's considerable physical talents weren't utilized.

But for fans of a good story and good performances(and also boxing fans who want something more substantial than Rocky), Cinderella Man is a sure bet.

The Sisterhood of th Travelling Pants

Saw it on a "date" with my wife. I see all my chick flicks on dates with my wife. Actually, thought it was pretty good. All four girls did a good job, my favorite was Amber Tamblyn, the girl from Joan of Arcadia. I think she has a future as a solid actress.
June 10th
Mr and Mrs Smith

Give it about a 6. Good chemistry between Pitt and Jolie. They definitely generate some sexual heat and some of the banter between them was humorous. Could have used less shooting and more story/dialogue.

June 17th
Batman Begins

Saved the Batman franchise. If this one didn't deliver, it was over. Begins and Christian Bale returned to the dark, edgy Batman of the first one with Keaton. Sometimes Bale even scared me and I was sitting comfortably in the audience. I swear there were times when confronting a villain that his head became twice its normal size and took on an inhuman appearance. That's the kind of stuff to put the fear in the bad guys.

All supporting actors were first rate. Even Katie Holmes was better than I expected.
June 29th
War of the Worlds

Seems to be a love or hate it movie. I liked it quite a bit. Granted, the characters and empathy for them is critical to any film and that's where Worlds fell short but the rest of it was so good, it made up for it IMO. No movie in decades has captured my personal childhood nightmares of "monsters coming over the hill" as well as this one.

The tension and vulnerability was sustained throughout, to the point I felt like I'd been running from invincible aliens for two hours. A miss on relating to the characters but a hit on everything else.
July 8th
Dark Water

I'd watch paint dry if Jennifer Connelly was holding the paint can.

Fantastic Four

High hopes, favorite comic from my youth. Not bad but not good.
I'll try to finish this later.

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

District B13
[quote=Twain]
Originally Posted by jrs
With only three more weeks left of the 2005 Summer Movie Season, following is a listing of what came out during the past three months. Which films do you think were the highlights, lowlights, blockbusters, or bombs?....Ya' get the idea.

I can only comment on those I saw, so here goes...

May 6th
Kingdom of Heaven

Not everyone liked Kingdom but I did. I love big historical epics, especially of the sword and sandal variety and after minor disappointments with Troy and Alexander, I was well entertained with Kingdom. Scott's theme of religion/politics/tolerance and war resonated with me and I enjoyed it. It was more than relevant in our current political environment.
May 13th
Mad Hot Ballroom

I haven't seen this but I really want to. None of my local cineplexes bother with small, great independent films. It's either wait for the DVD or drive 20 miles downtown to one of the few places that show small, quality movies.
May 19th
Star Wars Episode III: Th Revenge of the Sith

Best since Empire Strikes Back. But typical Star Wars, ho hum acting and ho hum dialogue with spectacular special effects. I liked the way everything was brought together at the end, the births of Luke, Leiah and Darth Vader.

June 3rd
Cinderella Man

Very good. Good performances all around, Crowe, Zellweger and Giamatti. It's disappointing when a good film doesn't meet expectations at the box office. The reason may be this...Crowe portrayed a good, decent family man; the depression era boxer James Braddock. Braddock was simply a competent boxer who captured the title. He wasn't a kickass violent machine like Crowe played in Gladiator and LA Confidential. One might say Crowe's considerable physical talents weren't utilized.

But for fans of a good story and good performances(and also boxing fans who want something more substantial than Rocky), Cinderella Man is a sure bet.

Saw it on a "date" with my wife. I see all my chick flicks on dates with my wife. Actually, thought it was pretty good. All four girls did a good job, my favorite was Amber Tamblyn, the girl from Joan of Arcadia. I think she has a future as a solid actress.
June 10th
Mr and Mrs Smith

Give it about a 6. Good chemistry between Pitt and Jolie. They definitely generate some sexual heat and some of the banter between them was humorous. Could have used less shooting and more story/dialogue.

June 17th
Batman Begins

Saved the Batman franchise. If this one didn't deliver, it was over. Begins and Christian Bale returned to the dark, edgy Batman of the first one with Keaton. Sometimes Bale even scared me and I was sitting comfortably in the audience. I swear there were times when confronting a villain that his head became twice its normal size and took on an inhuman appearance. That's the kind of stuff to put the fear in the bad guys.

All supporting actors were first rate. Even Katie Holmes was better than I expected.
June 29th
War of the Worlds

Seems to be a love or hate it movie. I liked it quite a bit. Granted, the characters and empathy for them is critical to any film and that's where Worlds fell short but the rest of it was so good, it made up for it IMO. No movie in decades has captured my personal childhood nightmares of "monsters coming over the hill" as well as this one.

The tension and vulnerability was sustained throughout, to the point I felt like I'd been running from invincible aliens for two hours. A miss on relating to the characters but a hit on everything else.
July 8th
Dark Water

I'd watch paint dry if Jennifer Connelly was holding the paint can.

Fantastic Four

High hopes, favorite comic from my youth. Not bad but not good.
I'll try to finish this later.

Orange = Darth Vader was a wussy in Episode 3, very detrimental to the best villain of all time IMO.

Red = I agree with you, it was a bit cliche but it was an important story that needed to be told. All the performances were fantastic, Zellweger is one of my favorites.

Blue = Hot women.

Brown = Major Disagreement. Especially about katie holmes.

Magenta = Hell yes.

Picking up where I left off...

July 22nd
The Island

Another movie I really looked forward to. It had great things going for it...Johansson, McGregor and a futuristic socio/political theme. Great potential mishandled. It chose the traditional Hollywood chase and shoot em up over an intelligent discussion of bio-technology.
July 29th
Must Love Dogs

Another date movie with my wife. I like Diane Lane in about anything and I usually like Cusack but something about him here wasn't quite right. I'd like to see Lane in more dramas like Unfaithful. She's one of the most interesting 40ish actresses around.

Best - Batman Begins, The 40 Year Old Virgin & Broken Flowers

Worst - Be Cool & The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

District B13
Originally Posted by Twain

Picking up where I left off...

July 22nd
The Island

Another movie I really looked forward to. It had great things going for it...Johansson, McGregor and a futuristic socio/political theme. Great potential mishandled. It chose the traditional Hollywood chase and shoot em up over an intelligent discussion of bio-technology.
July 29th
Must Love Dogs

Another date movie with my wife. I like Diane Lane in about anything and I usually like Cusack but something about him here wasn't quite right. I'd like to see Lane in more dramas like Unfaithful. She's one of the most interesting 40ish actresses around.
Red = Discussion of bio-technology? Haven't we already been insighted into bio-technology enough? Wouldn't that just make this movie another fodder for critics? The fact is, their was nothing new in the script, all discussino of bio technology would be detrimental to the entertaiment value/personal spin by Michael Bay. If people couldn't see this coming then they were morons.

Originally Posted by ObiWanShinobi
Red = Discussion of bio-technology? Haven't we already been insighted into bio-technology enough?
I didn't mean an actual discussion of bio-technology. I meant how do we interact with clones? They with us and each other. Do clones find love? Can they love us, can we love them? Are they human? For the religious, do they have souls?

There were so many areas of social significance to explore in The Island but Bay abandoned them in the first half of the film in favor of a routine chase n' shoot.

What made matters worse, even the chase had no credibility. Two naive clones with no worldly experience successfully evade professional assassins. Um, I don't think so.

District B13
I didn't mean an actual discussion of bio-technology. I meant how do we interact with clones? They with us and each other. Do clones find love? Can they love us, can we love them? Are they human? For the religious, do they have souls?.
Metropolis is a good example, whilst not clones, they are the same as robots. All the questions you posed seem to me very cliche about science fiction. Their could be two answers to your question, Yes, they do have souls and can find love etc., or the answer will be ambiguous. I wasn't expecting diatribe on this topic as it seems self explanatory as to what any possible question posed could answer. Very predictable and wasted would a movie focusing on that would be.

Instead the movie already assumes that they are human beings. And we already know the human response "If we can prolong life we will do it, clones aren't real people". Whereas the clones say they are real people, that is the gist of the whole story, it works, and no pointless self righteous mumbo jumbo is needed.
There were so many areas of social significance to explore in The Island but Bay abandoned them in the first half of the film in favor of a routine chase n' shoot.
?.
Social Significance? How about Ewan's response to Lincoln Six Echo? People don't care about clones because they are tools. The public would care? Apparently not, so it's up to the clones to prove this point. As I've said before their have been countless robot movies that have dealt with this subject and pretty unsuccesfully might I add (matrix sequels, I,robot) and it is all cliche.

As for the standard chase n' shoot. What can you expect? Honestly? It's Michael Bay, the good guy will survive, if you want to see some random deaths you won't see hollywood blockbusters (or potential) such as The island or batman begins. They are pretty much self explanatory.
What made matters worse, even the chase had no credibility. Two naive clones with no worldly experience successfully evade professional assassins. Um, I don't think so.
This is moot, as plot in movies are sometimes hard to deduce and analyze. Either by failure of viewer or film-maker. Points like that is hard to indentify with because of their seeming absurdity.

However, a possible answer could be that human brains cannot be controlled by a machine, and that memories can resurface if they are shot down. While in the world they realized everything was different, and when they saw what "the" island really was they realized what they had known to be true held no effect. Thus, when they defeat the chasers, lincoln six echo uses his memories that have been retained to use the technology available to him,and he knew that anything was possible now that his sheltered world had been shattered.

What is interesting, is that in your bashing of the film you have managed to stumble onto complexity in the story. You say how could clones do human things? That means you think clones really aren't human beings, from watching the Island I determined that they, in fact, were human beings.

So, we have two alternating viewpionts on the subject, much like a mystic river or pulp fiction debate. Therefore, by your own admittance, The Island is in fact as deep as both Mystic River and Pulp Fiction.

I didn't think it was THAT good.

[quote=ObiWanShinobi] I wasn't expecting diatribe on this topic as it seems self explanatory as to what any possible question posed could answer. Very predictable and wasted would a movie focusing on that would be.

Only if the director had limited imagination. Which seems to be the case in The Island. Everything is subjective and I would have preferred a more personal story between McGregor, Johannson and all their encounters in and out of the complex. The digression of the movie to a standard chase and shoot was a waste of interesting material and actors.

Whereas the clones say they are real people, that is the gist of the whole story, it works, and no pointless self righteous mumbo jumbo is needed.

How is a closer examination of the characters and their unique position in society "self righteous mumbo jumbo?" Character development is essential to any movie and even moreso to this one due to their atypical condition.

As I've said before their have been countless robot movies that have dealt with this subject and pretty unsuccesfully might I add (matrix sequels, I,robot) and it is all cliche.

Well, here was a chance to deal with it successfully. In the first part of the movie, McGregor and Johannson were developing real characters that we could empathize with. They were taking it beyond "robot and cliche." But Bay tossed all that out the window in the second half.

As for the standard chase n' shoot. What can you expect?

I expected more. But it wasn't the first time Hollywood has let me down and won't be the last.

What is interesting, is that in your bashing of the film you have managed to stumble onto complexity in the story.

Well, lucky me. I guess even blind prospectors find a nugget once in awhile. Did you notice that scene early in the film when one of the clones was having an arrogant, superior attitude surgically removed? That was riveting.

So, we have two alternating viewpionts on the subject, much like a mystic river or pulp fiction debate. Therefore, by your own admittance, The Island is in fact as deep as both Mystic River and Pulp Fiction.

I guess so. And the sky is blue because I had a cheeseburger on Thursday.

District B13
Originally Posted by Twain[i
.[/i]

Only if the director had limited imagination. Which seems to be the case in The Island. Everything is subjective and I would have preferred a more personal story between McGregor, Johannson and all their encounters in and out of the complex. The digression of the movie to a standard chase and shoot was a waste of interesting material and actors.
How is a closer examination of the characters and their unique position in society "self righteous mumbo jumbo?" Character development is essential to any movie and even moreso to this one due to their atypical condition.
ell, here was a chance to deal with it successfully. In the first part of the movie, McGregor and Johannson were developing real characters that we could empathize with. They were taking it beyond "robot and cliche." But Bay tossed all that out the window in the second half.
I expected more. But it wasn't the first time Hollywood has let me down and won't be the last.
Well, lucky me. I guess even blind prospectors find a nugget once in awhile. Did you notice that scene early in the film when one of the clones was having an arrogant, superior attitude surgically removed? That was riveting.
I guess so. And the sky is blue because I had a cheeseburger on Thursday.
I'm serious about the over used topic of debate. It was clear that the story in the movie could go one way, you can't be philosophical about something that has already been done in books and movies. It would end up being the same thing. this was a movie that worked itself on action and acceptance. I found Ewan's character to be pretty insightful as to how the movie played out. He didn't care if clones were human beings who could feel, he wanted to live, be selfish.

Michael Bay didn't need to put an hour of dialogue, or some kubrick nonsense to make his film work. He made an action movie with plot flinchers to make it work, his idea of culture was represented thoroughly, the clones had to be the ones to save the clones, because noone else really cared. Steve Buscemi cared, but that is Steve Buscemi.

Charlie and Chocolate Factory....it was a crappy remake.

My grades:
May 4th
Writer of O-N/A

May 6th
Brothers =B
Citizen Verdict = N/A
Crash = B+
Double Dare =N/A
Fighting Tommy Riley =N/A
House of Wax =C-
Jiminy Glick in LaLaWood =N/A
Kingdom of Heaven = B-
La Grande Role =N/A

May 13th
League of Extroadinary Gentleman =?
Crazy Like a Fox =N/A
Kicking and Screaming =D+
Kings and Queens=N/A
Layer Cake =B+
Ma Ma`ere =N/A
Mad Hot Ballroom =N/A
Mindhunters =D
Modigiliani =N/A
Monster-in-Law =N/A (Hope to see this soon)
Saint Ralph =N/A
Tell Them Who You Are =N/A
Unleashed -C+

May 18th
Shake Hands with the Devil =N/A
Tropical Malady =N/A

May 19th
Star Wars Episode III: Th Revenge of the Sith =B

May 20th
Mysterious Skin =N/A
Sex, Polititics & Cocktails =N/A

May 27th
Bomb the System =N/A
Madagascar =N/A
Saving Face =N/A
Sequins =N/A
The Longest Yard B-
Wasabi Tuna =N/A

June 3rd
Apre`s Vous =N/A
Cinderella Man =N/A
The Deal =N/A
High Tension =N/A
Lords of Dogtown =N/A
Milwaukee, Minnesota =N/A
Rock School =N/A=N/A

June 10th
The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lava Girl in 3-D =N/A
Heights=N/A
The Honeymooners =N/A
Howl's Moving Castle =B
Mr and Mrs Smith =B+
The Ordeal =N/A

June 17th
Batman Begins =A-
The Great Water =N/A
My Summer of Love =N/A
The Perfect Man =N/A

June 24th
Bewitched =N/A
God's Sandbox =N/A
Herbie: Fully Loaded =N/A
The Last Mogul =N/A
March of the Penguins =N/A ( Hope to see thins one on DVD soon also)

June 29th
War of the Worlds =A-

July 1st
The Beat of My Heart Skipped =N/A
Lila Says =N/A
Rebound =N/A
Undead =N/A

July 8th
The Beautiful Country =N/A
Dark Water =N/A
Fantastic Four =B-
Murderball =N/A
Saraband =N/A

July 15th
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory =N/A
Happy Endings =N/A
Hustle & Flow =N/A
Searching for the Wrong Eyed Jesus =N/A
The Warrior =N/A
Wedding Crashers =N/A

July 22nd
An Unfinished Life =N/A
Bad News Bears =N/A
Deep Blue =N/A
The Devil's Rejects =N/A
The Edukators =N/A
The Island =B
Last Days =N/A
November =N/A
Shoujyu =N/A
Three Dancing Slaves =N/A

July 29th
The Aristocrats =N/A
Must Love Dogs =N/A
Sky High =N/A
Stealth =N/A

August 5th
2046 =N/A
The Dukes of Hazzard =B-
Grizzly Man =N/A
Junebug =N/A
The Chumbscrubber =N/A

August 12th
Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo =N/A
Everything is Illuminated =N/A
Four Brothers =B
Moonlight =N/A
Pretty Persuasion =N/A
The Skeleton Key =C+

*Note - Within the next few weeks there are the following pictures. You may add those to your best or worst list as you see 'em:

August 19th
The 40 Year Old Virgin =N/A
Asylum =N/A
The Cave =D
Domino =N/A
Red Eye =N/A
Romance and Ciggarettes =N/A
Valiant =N/A
Zu Warriors =N/A

August 26th
Backwater =N/A
Cry Wolf =N/A
Undiscovered =N/A

September 9th
Hellbent =N/A

Seems like I saw a lot more movies this SUmmer, I guess I didnt..oh well.

District B13
Originally Posted by 7thson
My grades:
May 4th
Writer of O-N/A

May 6th
Brothers =B
Citizen Verdict = N/A
Crash = B+
Double Dare =N/A
Fighting Tommy Riley =N/A
House of Wax =C-
Jiminy Glick in LaLaWood =N/A
Kingdom of Heaven = B-
La Grande Role =N/A

May 13th
League of Extroadinary Gentleman =?
Crazy Like a Fox =N/A
Kicking and Screaming =D+
Kings and Queens=N/A
Layer Cake =B+
Ma Ma`ere =N/A
Mad Hot Ballroom =N/A
Mindhunters =D
Modigiliani =N/A
Monster-in-Law =N/A (Hope to see this soon)
Saint Ralph =N/A
Tell Them Who You Are =N/A
Unleashed -C+

May 18th
Shake Hands with the Devil =N/A
Tropical Malady =N/A

May 19th
Star Wars Episode III: Th Revenge of the Sith =B

May 20th
Mysterious Skin =N/A
Sex, Polititics & Cocktails =N/A

May 27th
Bomb the System =N/A
Madagascar =N/A
Saving Face =N/A
Sequins =N/A
The Longest Yard B-
Wasabi Tuna =N/A

June 3rd
Apre`s Vous =N/A
Cinderella Man =N/A
The Deal =N/A
High Tension =N/A
Lords of Dogtown =N/A
Milwaukee, Minnesota =N/A
Rock School =N/A=N/A

June 10th
The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lava Girl in 3-D =N/A
Heights=N/A
The Honeymooners =N/A
Howl's Moving Castle =B
Mr and Mrs Smith =B+
The Ordeal =N/A

June 17th
Batman Begins =A-
The Great Water =N/A
My Summer of Love =N/A
The Perfect Man =N/A

June 24th
Bewitched =N/A
God's Sandbox =N/A
Herbie: Fully Loaded =N/A
The Last Mogul =N/A
March of the Penguins =N/A ( Hope to see thins one on DVD soon also)

June 29th
War of the Worlds =A-

July 1st
The Beat of My Heart Skipped =N/A
Lila Says =N/A
Rebound =N/A
Undead =N/A

July 8th
The Beautiful Country =N/A
Dark Water =N/A
Fantastic Four =B-
Murderball =N/A
Saraband =N/A

July 15th
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory =N/A
Happy Endings =N/A
Hustle & Flow =N/A
Searching for the Wrong Eyed Jesus =N/A
The Warrior =N/A
Wedding Crashers =N/A

July 22nd
An Unfinished Life =N/A
Bad News Bears =N/A
Deep Blue =N/A
The Devil's Rejects =N/A
The Edukators =N/A
The Island =B
Last Days =N/A
November =N/A
Shoujyu =N/A
Three Dancing Slaves =N/A

July 29th
The Aristocrats =N/A
Must Love Dogs =N/A
Sky High =N/A
Stealth =N/A

August 5th
2046 =N/A
The Dukes of Hazzard =B-
Grizzly Man =N/A
Junebug =N/A
The Chumbscrubber =N/A

August 12th
Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo =N/A
Everything is Illuminated =N/A
Four Brothers =B
Moonlight =N/A
Pretty Persuasion =N/A
The Skeleton Key =C+

*Note - Within the next few weeks there are the following pictures. You may add those to your best or worst list as you see 'em:

August 19th
The 40 Year Old Virgin =N/A
Asylum =N/A
The Cave =D
Domino =N/A
Red Eye =N/A
Romance and Ciggarettes =N/A
Valiant =N/A
Zu Warriors =N/A

August 26th
Backwater =N/A
Cry Wolf =N/A
Undiscovered =N/A

September 9th
Hellbent =N/A

Seems like I saw a lot more movies this SUmmer, I guess I didnt..oh well.
Orange = I thought Bob Hoskins was great, alone worthy of a better grade than C+. I liked alot about this movie except for the innocent-child created by Jet Li and the Daughter. Didn't really hit me as I expected it too.

Holden, How could you not like High Tension that film was really good.

The Reaping 7/10
Transformers 8.5/10
Flight of the Living Dead 6/10
The Invisible 6/10
Return to House on Haunted Hill 1/10
Planet Terror 8/10
A Mighty Heart 7/10

Originally Posted by The_Elephant_Man
Holden, How could you not like High Tension that film was really good.
Haute Tension is HORRIBLE. How could you, or anyone, like it? The plot twist was ripped off from Adaptation...the ridiculous Donald Kaufman potboiler script that made zero sense by any criteria, even when turning one's brain off.

It's a piece of *****. In the extras (of the French DVD anyway) that the two knuckleheads who made it have no idea that their concept is retarded makes it all the more sad.

I have more comments about Switchblade Romance's ineptness in THIS thread.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Yeah but a movie like that your not set to expect much from the plot. For gore and horror thats why I liked it. It had some good shots in it as well. Though the ending did suck, the whole story I didn't have high hopes for.