Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Killer of Sheep (Charles Burnett, 1978)

"What is America to me?" sings Paul Robeson as Burnett shows to us the everyday life of a community of African-Americans. The film is not your usual narrative experience but rather a poetic reflection of the world in which we live in, moments of poverty, struggle, and a mundane tasks are juxtaposed with occasional images and sounds of beauty. Like his short "When It Rains", it's a film that feels alive, filled with human warmth and beauty in a cold world.

Requiem for a Dream (Darren Aronofsky, 2000)

I see that this film is largely praised for its harsh depiction of the "realities of drugs", and whilst yes, it is deeply disturbing, I don't think that alone makes it a particularly good film. I did not care for any of the characters, probably because I felt a lack of care or empathy from Aronofsky towards them. There's no room for subjectivity in any scenes which are put together like some cool music video, and there's no hope or warmth offered to them. The whole film is just one vile, hopeless scene after another. It was more a horror than anything else. Overall, incredibly thin, it did not affect me emotionally one bit. I agree that the performances were good, that's about it.

The World's End (Edgar Wright, 2013)
[Rewatch]

A rewatch as this one was on TV the other night. Very good. It might be my favourite of the trilogy, although I haven't seen the other two in a while. I think what I like about this is the dry British humour, when someone calls his mates "c*nts" and doesn't realise how deluded and self-obsessed they are, it almost always gets a laugh from me. I think the writing for the film is really strong, and Pegg shows good emotional depth as his character who is stuck in the past. His non-conformity to society's normal expectations, and wanting to enjoy himself is in an odd way somewhat relatable. A good mix of laugh-out-loud humour and really written written humanism. I think I mentioned this in my original review, but Edgar Wright also gets a thumbs up from me for his fantastically directed fight sequences. The first toilet scene is how to direct a fight scene, very well choreographed and photographed in a coherent and exciting way that completely makes sense.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Tripping With Caveh

30-minute short documentary of a few guys trippin' on shrooms. Kinda lame. Pretentious. There was a nice song played though. There are a couple of documentaries, one is about his addiction to prostitution, which sounds fascinating. I am a psychedelic enthusiast so I thought this would have been decent, but it's full of hippie-ish empty gestures, trying to sound deep but only sounding ridiculous, and it wasn't the shrooms. I wouldn't call this original, but it only killed 30 minutes of my life.

I'm inspired to do something. I was trying to record a song, but I don't have all the required instruments at my house. I was going to watch "Secret Honor" (Altman) which is a one-man monologue, and thought (20 seconds ago) if I could conjure up something I could play myself, using things I've published.

Master of My Domain
HK suggested this? What the hell?
Yep, closet Antonioni fan is our HK.
A very strong rejection is often a sign of love.

I see that this film is largely praised for its harsh depiction of the "realities of drugs", and whilst yes, it is deeply disturbing, I don't think that alone makes it a particularly good film. I did not care for any of the characters, probably because I felt a lack of care or empathy from Aronofsky towards them. There's no room for subjectivity in any scenes which are put together like some cool music video, and there's no hope or warmth offered to them. The whole film is just one vile, hopeless scene after another. It was more a horror than anything else. Overall, incredibly thin, it did not affect me emotionally one bit. I agree that the performances were good, that's about it.

Daniel you're awesome man but don't do that to me

Forty Guns (1957)

+

This Western has it's moment and the featured song is good, but I thought it was pretty average. I'll never think of it again after a couple days.

In Bruges (2008) - Martin McDonagh

- The Cast is red hot in that flick and they're all very good especially Collin Farrell who's one actor I really appreciate. The storyline is cool and highly entertaining (which is a big plus for me). Some hilarious moments and some most shocking ones.... The city is beautiful and the cinematography is nice. It has also a cool atmosphere of the city I cannot really describe but I really appreciate the aspect. The ending is some big kharma thing that I really like. Nice Movie and I recommend it.
-
Well recommended.
A movie I can watch over and over.
Farrel got the Golden Globe for best actor Mcdonagh got an oscar nomination.
Nice review by the way.

Daniel you're awesome man but don't do that to me
"Ass to ass" is worth
alone
Ha, sorry guys, I just have to be honest. I know a lot of people like this, my friend IRL kept telling me to watch it too, so I finally got around to it, if you combine these two quotes this is pretty much what he said to me too

I agree with every word of this.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
My Brilliant Career - 8/10

I've been trying to watch this movie for months. Some of the situations are cliche, but overall the movie isn't. I loved Judy Davis, especially her smile, devious eyes, gestures and mannerisms.

What I liked about the movie was the ambivalence of every situation, about being a person in the world with obligation. Syb is told she's becoming a burden on her family, so she lives with her grandma and the extended family, gets acquainted with them and a few others. This was probably the first time I didn't want the girl to be vulnerable. She was very independent, and felt she didn't want to lose herself in another life, since she still hadn't figured out hers. She wanted to know what was wrong in the world, and what was wrong with her. Situations aren't black and white, good vs. bad, but the inherent price of life. She feels pressured from others because her life has been arranged for her. She didn't work, but she did have to eat, and her nuclear family had to work for her. With her grandma, she's pressured to marry to a man with money, but this isn't her concern. She rather be a writer, but moves to a third setting after her parents default on debts. It's the first time she has to work. She doesn't like it, but is doing it until she can have some success in life.

Gods of Egypt directed by Alex Proyas -
I'm being super generous, because this movie has a lot bringing it down. Very poor writing, making paper thin characters that we're supposed to like only because we're told to. An impossibly vague and pointless story that wanders through the world giving us nothing to follow until it happens. But its saving grace is some pretty fantastic and corny CGI that shines through great in some moments and hilariously bad at others. It's not a particularly good movie, but I would be lying if I said I didn't have a smile on my face throughout the entire mess. So far it's the best animated movie of the year.

The Flame and the Arrow (1950)

Fun swashbuckler starring Burt Lancaster and Virginia Mayo. Set in the 13th century, this has Lancaster and his young son living in the mountains of Northern Italy, which has been occupied by Hessian soldiers. There is a villainous leader named The Hawk who is now romancing Lancaster's runaway ex-wife of years earlier. The villagers are often terrorized by this man. Lancaster still chooses to keep to himself but when his son is kidnapped by The Hawk, he and his friends go into action.

Lancaster's real-life friend and former circus acrobat partner Nick Cravat, co-stars in this movie. He would co-star in several other Lancaster films. He is a delight as the mute Piccolo in this. He would play a mute in another film with Lancaster, The Crimson Pirate (1952), but Cravat could speak. Apparently his Brooklyn accent was so thick he couldn't shake it, so they made him mute in those two films.

Most of the action is relegated to the back half of the film but the movie is not dull at all. Lancaster and Cravat show off their acrobatic skills to great effect, the color is vivid, and the action, when it happens, is cool. Directed by the great Jacques Tourneur.

The Age of Adaline (2015)

Great movie with Blake Lively playing a young woman who becomes ageless after a car accident. She is a subject of interest to the government, especially during the 50's, so she takes to changing her name and moving from town to town. She tries to avoid love so as not to complicate things, but she cannot avoid it when she meets Ellis (Michiel Huisman from Game of Thrones). Things get even more complicated when Adaline meets Ellis' parents (Harrison Ford, Kathy Baker). As she ages, Adaline's daughter is eventually played by Ellen Burstyn. After all, by the time our story really kicks in, she is in her eighth decade!

The only real debit for me was the annoying narrator telling us all about the stars aligning to make Adaline stop aging. Not really stars, but a comet, and electricity, timing, etc. All these coincidences. I don't think we really needed all that---it could have been told without the narration, in my opinion. Still, it doesn't really make or break the movie, the acting and writing sells it.

Lost River (2014)

This debut directing job by Ryan Gosling is a somewhat weird but still watchable film about the bizarre goings-on in a dying town. The lovely Christina Hendricks is a single mom who has to take a strange club job to make ends meet to care for her two boys, one a teen, the other just a few years old. The older boy, Bones, tries to eke out a small living by gathering junk to sell, but he is constantly hounded by a bully called, ahem, Bully (played by former Doctor Who Matt Smith). He tools around town in a convertible with a large chair set in the back, where he rides like a king in a parade. Bones also meets a lovely young woman named Rat (played by Saoirse Ronan), so named because of the pet rat she carries around. There's also a mystery concerning the "curse" placed on the dying town, with a connection to a local lost town that now rests under a lake.

The film plays somewhat like a lesser David Lynch film but is still worthwhile on its own. Gosling does a good job of putting all these characters and images together to make a mostly coherent film that is a visual treat if not a writing triumph. Everyone does a great job and there is a short, speechless role by former horror film queen, Barbara Steele, as Rat's grandmother. The whole film is definitely worth a look. Good first job by Gosling. I look forward to his next effort, if he indeed does one.

Spotlight (2015) - Tom McCarthy

- Very nice and well made journalistic flick with a lot of informations and details about a modern scandal about the catholic church and pedophile priest. It is one of the most shocking subject I've seen from 2015 by far and it's also the best cast I've seen from a 2015 movie. Ruffalo is just absolutely terrific in that movie. The second part of the movie is by far better than the first part imo and it's also way more entertaining. I like the type of mood that a journalistic movie have.... I don't know how to describe it but it has a different and very interesting mood that other kind of movie doesn't have. The ending is solid and very satisfying. For me, it's pretty good but I don't know if it's worth a rewatch mainly because of the subject...
-

Welcome to the human race...
On a Malick marahton to lead up to Knight of Cups???
Nah, last I checked Knight of Cups had already been in and out of very select theatres very quickly last year. This is just for the sake of being a completionist.

Brooklyn -

Surprisingly decent despite it looking like yet another blandly pleasant British drama.