Barbie (2023)

Tools    

I'm no expert on Barbie, but I always thought Ken had light brown hair (while in the movie he appears to be a platinum blond).
Am I nit-picking by comparing to source material again?

P.S. We all know in reality Barbie would've fallen for G.I. Joe. (Wonder if that's a joke in the film?)
This was my first morning laugh, thank you for that. And yes, she would have.

Considering how high this is tracking with over a 100 Million for the weekend, I'm thinking this is attracting the LGBQT Crowd which is the reason for the high tracking of this??

Why is it so important to you to other anyone who likes something you don't? Is it because your beloved box office receipts arent giving you your preferred reading on what films matter and what films don't?

Considering how high this is tracking with over a 100 Million for the weekend, I'm thinking this is attracting the LGBQT Crowd which is the reason for the high tracking of this??
I think the film is tracking high because it appeals to a diverse group of different people, gay or straight, male and female, young and old. It will appeal to:

-little girls who like Barbies
-adult collectors of Barbies
-anyone who is in love with Margot Robbie
-anyone who is in love with Ryan Gosling
-fans of Greta Gerwig
-adults who don't like Barbie, but want to see it in an ironic way for memes or mocking purposes

This is gonna sound crazy but hear me out. Maybe it's tracking high because Hollywood's most popular actress is starring in a film based on a globally-beloved toy property. I know! I'm insane! Somebody lock me up!

*immediately regrets engaging*

BKB
Why is it so important to you to other anyone who likes something you don't? Is it because your beloved box office receipts arent giving you your preferred reading on what films matter and what films don't?
Why is it so important for you to zone in on me because I made an interesting observation?? Is it because perhaps it's might be true?? What's your deal dude??

BKB
This is gonna sound crazy but hear me out. Maybe it's tracking high because Hollywood's most popular actress is starring in a film based on a globally-beloved toy property. I know! I'm insane! Somebody lock me up!

*immediately regrets engaging*
Little girls in 2023 don't play with Barbie.. They don't, so this has to be another reason for this surge in popularity?? She also starred in ":The WOLF OF WALL STREET" too and had a beautiful body in that 1 scene if you've ever seen it??

BKB
I think the film is tracking high because it appeals to a diverse group of different people, gay or straight, male and female, young and old. It will appeal to:

-little girls who like Barbies
-adult collectors of Barbies
-anyone who is in love with Margot Robbie
-anyone who is in love with Ryan Gosling
-fans of Greta Gerwig
-adults who don't like Barbie, but want to see it in an ironic way for memes or mocking purposes
Thank you.. That's probably the best reply I've heard yet to such a simple question without receiving a horse shit reply over it..

The news that little girls don't play with Barbie will come as a particular shock to the three girls in my summer camp who were telling me about their Barbies.

How do I break it to them that it's all a figment of their imaginations and their hands have been empty this whole time, EMPTY! "I got that one that you can do different hairstyles with." Yeah, sure you did, Bryndlee.

BKB
I'd be willing to bet that little girls would much rather be on the internet, specifically, Tik-Tok than playing with Barbie dolls

I'd be willing to bet that little girls would much rather be on the internet, specifically, Tik-Tok than playing with Barbie dolls

Personally, I wouldn't expect elderly ex-marines to be online screaming about the lackluster box office of The Meg 2, so people can always surprise you.

BKB
Personally, I wouldn't expect elderly ex-marines to be online screaming about the lackluster box office of The Meg 2, so people can always surprise you.
Who says it's going to be lackluster?? You??

What is the message of Barbie movie?

Nef says the film is about “living your life and being in your body your way, on your own terms.” Sure, Hari Nef is trans and a Barbie — but her role in Greta Gerwig's blockbuster new movie is so much more than “trans Barbie.”Jul 6, 2023

BINGO!! This is exactly the reason this movie is tracking so high and has 0 to do with little girls playing with Barbie in 2023.. Come on folks..

Who says it's going to be lackluster?? You??

What is the message of Barbie movie?

Nef says the film is about “living your life and being in your body your way, on your own terms.” Sure, Hari Nef is trans and a Barbie — but her role in Greta Gerwig's blockbuster new movie is so much more than “trans Barbie.”Jul 6, 2023

BINGO!! This is exactly the reason this movie is tracking so high and has 0 to do with little girls playing with Barbie in 2023.. Come on folks..

So because there is a trans actor in it, this is your 'gotcha' that girls don't play with Barbie, or that it's a movie that can't appeal to anyone who isn't trans? Or that it can't be a successful comedy? Or that it can't function as satire? Or that it, by default, must be bad?

You are so incredibly awful at making arguments. Nothing you say makes even a tiny bit of sense. Plus you continue to demonstrate that you don't listen to anything that anyone says. And that you can't think out of some pathetic political binary.

And yet you still somehow think you come from some superior generation, and it's all the young people who are the idiots?

Keep trying to convince yourself on that one buddy, because no one else is buying it.

BKB
So because there is a trans actor in it, this is your 'gotcha' that girls don't play with Barbie, or that it's a movie that can't appeal to anyone who isn't trans? Or that it can't be a successful comedy? Or that it can't function as satire? Or that it, by default, must be bad?

You are so incredibly awful at making arguments. Nothing you say makes even a tiny bit of sense. Plus you continue to demonstrate that you don't listen to anything that anyone says. And that you can't think out of some pathetic political binary.

And yet you still somehow think you come from some superior generation, and it's all the young people who are the idiots?

Keep trying to convince yourself on that one buddy, because no one else is buying it.
Question?? Why are you so offended at this observation I've made about this movie being strictly geared toward the LGBQT/Transgender crowd??? What's the matter Gen Z?? Not comfortable with the topic or what?? Bottom line is, your generation gets WAYYY too offended for your own good and it's not just this site, it's pretty much every movie website I've seen which tells me that pretty much every movie website and their message forums are liberal and easily offended when someone doesn't meet their narrative.. Good Lord..

And that you can't think out of some pathetic political binary.

There is no Binary.. It's simply male & female and that's it!! Only Gen Z comes up with 37 different Genders in 2023

Question?? Why are you so offended at this observation I've made about this movie being strictly geared toward the LGBQT/Transgender crowd???

I'm offended that you are too blindingly stupid to argue any point you make here, whether it is about the quality of a movie you've never seen or the value of talking about box office returns like they are some holy grail of information about a films critical worth.

I'm offended that you keep making assumptions about every poster here, regarding their ages and their politics, when you aren't even savvy enough to show any evidence you read (or understand) anyone's posts.

I'm offended that you are treating trans people like they are some amorphous blob who all act and think alike. Or that non-trans people can't possibly have any interest in a movie that has a trans person in it.

Mostly I'm just amused though, because it's rare someone as dense as you come strolling in here. You're like a very special unicorn.

pretty much every movie website I've seen which tells me that pretty much every movie website and their message forums are liberal and easily offended when someone doesn't meet their narrative
At what point are you going to consider that it is your garbage personality that is the problem, and not the rest of the world?

If you keep getting banned everywhere, you don't have to reach for some political conspiracy. Maybe youre just really annoying and no one wants to talk to you.

There is no Binary.. It's simply male & female
Hahhahahahaah

Tell me you don't know what binary means without telling me.

A system of cells interlinked
Little girls in 2023 don't play with Barbie.. They don't, so this has to be another reason for this surge in popularity?? She also starred in ":The WOLF OF WALL STREET" too and had a beautiful body in that 1 scene if you've ever seen it??
My daughter, who is 4, has about 35 Barbie dolls, a Barbie car, a Barbie mansion, and about 100 little accessory pieces that I spend way too much time picking up off the floor everyday. Curious what frame of reference you are using to make your claim? My wife works at a preschool, and she says Barbie is fairly popular with the little girls at the school.

Why do you think little girls don't play with Barbie Dolls?

Here are the actual sales numbers.

"In 2022, Mattel's Barbie brand generated gross sales amounting to about 1.49 billion U.S. dollars"

Also, people simply engaging you in discussion is neither an attack or someone "zoning in on you." This is a discussion board, and people will reply to your posts. I will say that if you post stuff that is easily refutable or in my example above, straight up false, you will be called out on it. This board is an active discussion site full of astute and intelligent members, most of which will not just passively read your posts without replying.

Confirming your information is correct before making wild claims will go a long way in smoothing out the conversations.

Once again, BKB just pontificates without thinking and Seds comes in with simple facts.

I don't know for the life of me why anyone would think they can just kind of sit in some little room and just opine about the entirety of human experience. I guess everybody thinks they have a good sense of the world at large, though, whether they do or not. Easy enough extrapolate from our own narrow experiences and assume that must be all there is, I suppose.

Regardless, any future posts arguing about gender identity, or whatever, will be immediately removed. And do not respond to that stuff, either, please. If you see it, tell me/report it, rather than escalating it by telling someone how wrong you think they are. Someone else breaking the No Politics rule is not your license to follow suit.

Also, as has been pointed out several times, it's obvious from the trailers that this is some weird meta commentary thing. You can see people (like me!) way back earlier in the thread, before a single frame was shot, speculating that this would be the case because it was hard to understand why Gerwig would take something like this on otherwise. It's very unlikely to just be Barbie fan service, or whatever.

I'm not particularly interested in this film, but I possess the ability to imagine a multiplicity of other life experiences, and the simple observational skills required to notice that this film is doing some weird fourth wall stuff that might broaden its appeal beyond its obvious fan base which, yes, is still lots of little girls, your off-the-cuff vibe check world survey notwithstanding.

Is this the longest thread for a movie that is not yet released? Just wondering.