The MoFo Top 100 of the 80s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Stats: Blade Runner

Scott's film placed on 26 lists altogether, which is less than I think anyone was expecting. Clearly those who like it love it, though, as was in the top 10 on 17 of those, and appeared at #1 five times. Apart from singular entries at 11, 12, 13 and 14, however, the rest were in the bottom eight, which ended up working against it. Perhaps this is a case of people knowing it was going to appear and placing it lower in favour of films with less than a 100% chance.

Anyway, if my theory is wrong, I'm back to saying The Empire Strikes Back will be #1.

Anyway, regarding Blade Runner, could someone please explain to me why are there so many different versions of the film? Were they not content with the theatrical release and then made alterations, or what? I don't get it. Why should it have so many cuts, instead of just one final cut?

I'm really not sure what the final five will be in order now. I know I'm saying Empire is #1, but even that I'm not sure of.

What do you guys think it will be?

I really, really hope Raiders is not #1, and since you've all been so shocked lately, it might not be. I didn't vote for it and I don't think it deserves that place. I would rather see Terminator be #1 than that.

A system of cells interlinked
I can tell you, but it would take a while. Check this book out:

Future Noir : The Making of Blade Runner

Also: Slob has the order right, methinks.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Anyway, regarding Blade Runner, could someone please explain to me why are there so many different versions of the film? Were they not content with the theatrical release and then made alterations, or what? I don't get it. Why should it have so many cuts, instead of just one final cut?
I'm sure that Holden will discuss it in detail so I'll hold off. Needless to say, a difference of opinion and what the film is supposed to be about was involved.

So will you, eh?

@ Mark: I can't argue about your point in regards to the characters being cold, isolated and hard to care about, but I feel differently. Yes, it's hard to care about a miserable ex-runner that gets manipulated into shooting women in the back, but I find myself caring a great deal about Rachel, JF Sebastian, and poor, challenged Pris. Also, one of my favorite things about the film is the tragic monster, Roy Batty, who doesn't understand until it's too late - for him, anyway.

Sedai, at least your #1 movie wasn't #11, like mine was.
Better than your number #1 being #100 though, eh?

I like your list overall, and can't say I dislike any of the films on it, to be honest.

I like your list overall, and can't say I dislike any of the films on it, to be honest.
I'll reveal my whole list again after this countdown is over (which should be Tuesday, unless Skepsis feels like revealing things faster -- which I kinda feel like he should now... I'm feeling Holdeny at the moment. Maybe he should end it on Sunday? Sunday is a big event day, ya know? Maybe three tomorrow and the final two on Sunday?? Hmmmm? Get this over with on the weekend? Who's with me? Speak out now. It's only five more, good grief.)

Terminator, Back to the Future, and Empire were all on my list. Low on my list (18, 20 and 23) but there.

And having The Terminator in The Top 5 makes me feel justified in having Commando and Conan The Barbarian on my list (two films out of three that didn't make it). Arnold prevails, afterall.

Yet another movie I've not seen, by a hit-or-miss director, that doesn't really interest me.
I'll probably watch it at some point, though.
Pretty sure you won't care for it very much. Themes deal with existentialism, sentience, and memory, all set in a dystopian landscape that is pretty grim throughout.