X-Men 3: The Bad Guys All Wear Black Hats

→ in
Tools    

I absolutely loved the movie, it was intense beyond the previous 2 movies. This movie had many twists and turns which were absolutely delightful for any X-Men fans. For anyone going to see it, please stay until after the credits are over to see the last 10 second scene, its worth it!

Originally Posted by Sci-Fi-Guy
I saw it today and I thought it was actually better than the other 2 movies.

I do agree that both Angel and Colossus deserved more airtime but if they do make another film (and I can't see them stopping a cash cow like X-movies) I assume both the bird-man and tin-man as well as Kitty Pryde, will get more time to shine.

The one thing that I loved most about this one was the whole story really flowed like a real comic-book story.

I know alot of fans are upset with certain deaths in this movie, or Dark Phoenix's lack of flames, and the fact that Juggernaut is now a mutant but I've been an X-men comic fan for years and I wasn't dissapointed at all.
this was the worst movie that marvel has ever made. the fact that jean grey kills professor x is ridiculous where is everybody who is supposed to be there like havok and gambit for instance and what about x factor and x force where are those teams, overall i felt that this was the worst potrayal of x men i have ever seen

it stinks

Randomly visiting for now
I promised to see it with two seperate people and unfortunately for me and my bank account they couldn't go on the same night, so i went twice. However I enjoyed it much more the second time around, yet have some important questions for you fellow mofos...

WARNING: "X-Men3" spoilers below
So did we actually find out if the 'cure' was temporary or not, is that what happened at the end with Magneto cause I think I'm confused??

Also how weird was it that Jean could make people disintegrate?? I reckon it was so they could keep the rating down, cause realistically they should explode or something cause everything else was being thrown around and nothing else was disintegrating, so why people? It just seemed out of place for me...

Lastly I would love (as others have echoed) if rogue could permanently get powers from people like she's supposed to be able to. It makes no sense for her powers to be less than what they are in the comics. Although I only know x-men from watching the cartoon when I was younger so maybe I'm off on my specifics.....yes when I was younger....

I wanna be wolverine!

WARNING: "x-men 3" spoilers below
Spooky the cure might be temporary but the way I look at it is. that when they developed it the could only test it on few mutants, and most likely they were weaker mutants. So when the cure was used on magneto and other mutants above a class 3 it might wear off. so i see it as it only really works on weaker mutants and thats why Magneto was able to move the chess piece at the end.

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by housellhoff
this was the worst movie that marvel has ever made. the fact that jean grey kills professor x is ridiculous where is everybody who is supposed to be there like havok and gambit for instance and what about x factor and x force where are those teams, overall i felt that this was the worst potrayal of x men i have ever seen
Calm down! I mean hate the film and bash it if you want but don't give some of the elements away. I respect your opinion on disliking this film but some of the other kids have not seen it yet. Please relax and use spoiler tags before one of the other MoFos rolls up a X-Force comic and goes Havok on your head.

A system of cells interlinked
WARNING: "X3" spoilers below
Have you read any X-men? Profressor X died numerous times in the comics, including the universe shattering death by his son's hand that started the Age of Apocalypse. Also, like many others, you seem to think there is some definitive version of the X-men that films are supposed to adhere to. There isn't. This is just another artists take on the material. We have gone through this silly argument about just about every comic film that has been brought to screen. "This is supposed to happen, this isn't supposed to happen, blah, blah blah."

Horse apples! X-Factor? X-Force? Isn't this the X-men franchise? Also, as for the X-men that didn't appear that you named, maybe just wait for the next one.

history *is* moralizing
who wouldn't like it, uh? who?

I find X-men III highly entertaining. It did not disappoint at all. What I loved in X1 & X2 were still there. The story line is still as captivating, and I sure hope they come up with X-men 4!

One thing i kept wondering was why they didnt use the "antidote" on Jean?? Guess they probably coudlnt get near her. lol

I am Jack's sense of overused quote
When Brian Singer backed out of directing X3, I cried a little bit. And with good reason. Brett Ratner might be the most incompetent director this side of Paul Verhoeven.

Apparently, Mr. Ratner agreed to do this movie even after he saw the team of monkeys tramping out the script. How else does one explain the chunky dialogue, the lack of character development (inexplicable and unexpected changes in outlook do not count as development), and the cheesy chain of events disguised as a plot?

As for Ratner himself, he either did not notice or did not care about these flaws. He certainly did not attempt to cover them up. He seemingly gave the actors no direction. I have not seen so many good actors fumble over their lines as much as I saw in this movie. Good actors performed badly. Anna Paquin is one of the most underrated actresses in Hollywood. And yet, in X3 she spoke with the grace of a yak in heat. Hugh Jackman similiarly stank up the joint. Even Patrick Stweart and Ian McKellan did not live up to their own high standards.

No no, rather than direct, Ratner spent his time in the FX lab. Every fight scene and mutant power did look very cool. But many of them were so over elaborate. Did Magneto really need to move the entire Golden Gate Bridge? Why? I feel the best explanation belongs to a friend, "They are making a 'I blew up the Golden Gate Bridge' Colelction and that guy wants in." Yeah, that sounds about right. It certainly is not for the betterment of the movie.

Bottomline: Go see Superman. Singer is directing.

All I've been hearing was that it sucked. However I still felt compeled to go see it. I myself enjoyed the movie alot. Action was great and I feel they did each character justice. I do however think it was dumb that cyclops wasnt in it at all realy.

I think the reason most people dont like this movie is because it doesnt follow the comics all that much. X-3 more then X-1/2 . Like the fact that Juggernot is now a mutant which he realy isn't, and what realy pissed me off temporarly was how they had Profesor X roll right past him with out any type of confrontation or anything.(only because every X-man freak nows how much he hates his half brother (professor x)

Originally Posted by gohansrage
Did Magneto really need to move the entire Golden Gate Bridge? Why? I feel the best explanation belongs to a friend, "They are making a 'I blew up the Golden Gate Bridge' Colelction and that guy wants in." Yeah, that sounds about right. It certainly is not for the betterment of the movie.
Of course he didnt have too, but seriously he (the character) wanted to demonstrate his power. I think he did a great job myself. Kinda rounds off his powers also, he can use tiny ballbearing size objects or objects as big as a....um....well as big as a bridge to get the job done.

Originally Posted by Fish07
I find X-men III highly entertaining. It did not disappoint at all. What I loved in X1 & X2 were still there. The story line is still as captivating....and I sure hope they come up with X-men 4!
I totally agree Fish. It was a blast and the best X-Men flick out of all three. The first two were fun but this one was one hell of a ride.

This was the worst movie that marvel has ever made...
Umm...think again.
  • * Conan The Barbarian (1982)
    * Red Sonja (1985)
    * Howard the Duck (1986)
    * The Punisher (1989)
    * Daredevil (2003)
    * The Punisher (2004)
    * The Fantastic Four (1994)
    * Elektra (2005)

Originally Posted by Fish07
....and I sure hope they come up with X-men 4!
Originally Posted by Sedai
Isn't this the X-men franchise? Also, as for the X-men that didn't appear that you named, maybe just wait for the next one
Halle Berry said she won't do it, and Hugh Jackman is in the process of a Wolverine flick. It is Wolverine’s story and it is really concentrating on him. It’s about his life, his mysteries, and his loves. It’s not really a prequel or a sequel. It’s just a story like in the comics where we have X-Men, Wolverine, and books dealing with the other X-Men. Obviously, Wolverine is the number one X-man, and deserves his own story. Hugh Jackman will make the story that much more compelling.

Also, Ian McKellan will be doing a Magneto spinoff. It’s the story of Magneto’s life, and it will span some years.

I am Jack's sense of overused quote
Originally Posted by 7thson
Of course he didnt have too, but seriously he (the character) wanted to demonstrate his power. I think he did a great job myself. Kinda rounds off his powers also, he can use tiny ballbearing size objects or objects as big as a....um....well as big as a bridge to get the job done.
I would not have nearly as much as a problem with the bridge if the acting was competent, the dialogue didn't make me vomit, the shots were meaningful, the transitions were better, or the pace wasn't ghastly.

If any of those things were fixed, I wouldn't complain. (Alright, i would. It's my nature to complain about comic movies.)

I think the real problem may go beyond incompetent directing. (Although that was a big part.) They tried to do two movies in one.

They should have had Dark Phoenix or the cure. Not both.

Originally Posted by jrs
I totally agree Fish. It was a blast and the best X-Men flick out of all three. The first two were fun but this one was one hell of a ride.

Umm...think again.

• * Conan The Barbarian (1982)

Are you serious? Conan, IMO, is in the top three comic films ever made. Conan is so good! It is a really well done film, with a great score, and wonderful characters.

I just can't disagree more. Conan is ten time the film that X3 wishes it was. The second Conan film, however.... belongs on your list!

Originally Posted by gohansrage
the transitions were better....

If any of those things were fixed, I wouldn't complain. (Alright, i would. It's my nature to complain about comic movies.)

I think the real problem may go beyond incompetent directing. (Although that was a big part.) They tried to do two movies in one.

They should have had Dark Phoenix or the cure. Not both.
One of my main issues, as well. The blocking was TERRIBLE. I also ageree about cramming too much into too short a time frame.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
A so called cure is found in the blood of a young mutant, which divides the world into two sections. Those who want it and those who don't. Magneto and his brotherhood seek to find this boy and capture him, while the X-men must stand together, through hard times and put a stop to Magneto and his evil ways.

Being a fan of the comics, I can say that the first X-men film did an okay job at bringing them to the big screen. The second film took the mutant powers to new levels, with more action and more mutants for us to feast our eyes on. It was a treat seeing so many childhood favourite characters come to life. The Last Stand is the third installment, the makers of the film decide to go heavy on the eye popping action and forget to bring everything else with it. Take a note, X-3 is the perfect example of how to destroy a franchise.

When Singer left the job to go direct Superman, I had my head searching for a director that could take over the job, Joss Whedon was my choice and after seeing Ratner's piece up on the big screen, I have come to think that many others would agree with my choice. The Last Stand has many problems with it, mainly the story line and how close to strays from the source material. Although, with the bad does come good, so the film is not a total travesty.

Some of the nit picks come from a continuation of the first two films, such as introducing Beast and Angel in the third film, when they are in fact original members (along with cyclops, iceman and Jean) of the X-men team. The Last Stand adds too many characters into the film from the comics, giving them only a little bit of screen time. Here's a lesson, when you want to please fans, do not introduce a character and use them for five minutes. Introducing Beast, Kitty Pride/Shadowcat, Leech (horribly done, I'll mention later), Angel, and Juggernaut, cause hell, they weren't juggling enough characters in X-2.

Back to Leech though, what's with the complete an utter disregard of the character? In the comics he is green and lives in the sewers, here he is played by the always creepy looking kid (See Ultraviolet and Godsend). If you need a cure type character, make a new one, do not soil another. Juggernaut is Xavier's stepbrother, yet nothing. Would it be confusing to the plot, possibly, but maybe a nod or something when they pass each other to Grey's house. Don't get me started on how they handled Callisto, they totally changed the character and her powers. Storm would wipe the floor with her, although, yet again Storm as a character is underused, just like the first two films. Even with Berry commanding a bigger role, she is still not used to her full potential. Could it possibly be because of Berry herself not being confident in her role?

Out of all the X-men story lines, the Dark Phoenix is probably the most recognizable. It is vast, emotional, and everything you could ever ask for in a comic book story line. Hmm, now why would you throw that into this movie when you already have another story line. The Dark Phoenix SAGA, did that word mean nothing to you? SAGA, should have a movie of it's own, one in which unites both Magneto and the X-men to take on a greater evil. Her story was completely rushed and used as a second handle to the main plot, of the cure. Granted, to make the story movie friendly, you'll need to change the fact they go into space, but please make it more friendly then what has been fed to us. Some major characters do hit the hay. Is it just me, or has one of the X-men character been getting the shaft over the last two X-men films? Read the comics guys, after Jean's death Cyclops leaves the X-men, not what happens in the film.

I was happy to see some nods for the hardcore fans out there, such as the "fastball special", the danger room and sentinels. The film, as I said before, is not all entirely bad. This review is from the fan boy in me. The Last Stand has a lot of action, which should please those who want to see the mutant powers in full effect. Unless you're a Colossus fan, he is underused yet again. The Juggernaut, after small fight with Logan, does nothing but run through walls. Iceman actually turned to ice, that was neat. Wolverine, doesn't seem like the brutal killer that he is in the comics, here we see him kicking guys in the nuts and saying comical stuff while doing it.

Ultimately, Ratner was the wrong man for the job. While the action was superb and the special effects off the wall, it all doesn't make up for the butchering of the story they've done. The ending has either finished the franchise all together or changed it drastically. If there are more films to come, will there be new villains? A Mr. Sinister perhaps, or how about Apocalypse. Probably not, we're probably going to get a BS story about how the cure is only short time, as what was hinted at by the end. Stupid story aside, and if you're not a die hard fan, Last Stand is...dare I say it....enjoyable.

6.5/10

Suspect's Reviews

Originally Posted by The Taxi Driver
WARNING: "x-men 3" spoilers below
Spooky the cure might be temporary but the way I look at it is. that when they developed it the could only test it on few mutants, and most likely they were weaker mutants. So when the cure was used on magneto and other mutants above a class 3 it might wear off. so i see it as it only really works on weaker mutants and thats why Magneto was able to move the chess piece at the end.
WARNING: "X-men 3" spoilers below
I would have to disagree with that statement. Mystique was shot with one dart from the cure, she turned human. Magento was stabbed by beast with a dozen of those things. If one can cure a "weak" mutant, then a dozen of them will surely have a longer lasting effect on a level 3 mutant. The ending was just a way to get more films produced.

Usual Suspect the reason you have many problems with the movie is that you need to seperate the movies and the comics. you said Angel and Beast were original members in the comics. that is true but in the films angel was just another mutant and they do mention beast being a former X-men.

Also in the films Xavier and Juggernaut have no relation with each other, thats not poor writing its just the decided to not put it in. kind of like how in the comics iceman is all ice and an original x-man but in the movies he is a kid.

you seem to be mad at what they did with callisto but were you angry when rogue never got the power to fly or her super strength in any of the 3 movies or how sabertooth didn't have the same regeneration power as wolverien but in the comics he did.

The point is they are seperate things and just because it doesnt follow the comics exactly doesn't mean its bad at all.

But I do agree with the point of putting too many mutants in it and not developing on them. most noticable is Collosius, they make him a main member yet he has very few lines and doesn't do much fighting. I was hoping for a collosius juggernaut fight that would have been wild.

And I dont really understand you arguments about the ending and how long the cure lasts.

In my review I stated that it was from a viewpoint of a comic book fan not a film fan. Why should one seperate the source material from the film?

I was disappointed with the disregard of Rogue and her powers, but I accepted it because half the characters were kids. You'd think by the third film they'd get the mutants right.

I totally agree with the JUGGERNAUT VS COLOSSUS

Yes, there were far too many characters crammed into the short film. Many of them not even recognizable.

What don't you understand about what I'm saying at the end?

WARNING: "x-3" spoilers below
You said that it's possible that the dart doesn't really affect level 3 mutants right? Well, Magneto wasn't hit with one dart. BEast had several of them in his hand. More then enough to take out the powers of MAGNETO, yet it's evident he still has them at the end.