The MoFo Top 100 Neo-noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

True Romance was #47 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1990s.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

True Romance has long been one of my favorite movies. It's sexy, it's funny, it's exciting and is just an absolute blast to watch. When I saw it appear on some already existing lists and saw that it met the criteria for voting, it was a no brainer that it would be on my ballot. I had it at #7.

Here's what I wrote about it when I nominated if for the Hall of Fame in 2022:

True Romance (Tony Scott, 1993)
IMDb

Date Watched: 3/13/2022
Rewatch: Yes.

Full Disclosure: With his roles in Untamed Heart, Heathers, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, and this movie, Christian Slater was pretty damn hot stuff to adolescent/teenaged me and I've had a soft spot for him ever since. That I saw this movie in the theater when I was 12 certainly didn't have any negative impact on my opinion of it.

I know some other participants found Slater and Patricia Arquette's characters unlikeable, and I can kind of understand that considering the collateral damage they leave in their wake and Clarence's obsessive personality and bravado, but frankly I find them endearing. Again, I'm pretty biased towards Christian Slater - and, after all, this is my nomination - but they come off to me as dumb kids who are in way over their heads. Clarence is kind of a nerd. He spends his days watching movies and reading comics where the heroes save the day and get the girl. When he finds himself living out his fantasy, he fails to recognize the very real danger and the consequences that innocents will have to pay for what he's done. I think this makes him feel real. And yet if he actually were real I'd be right there with those who are criticizing him. But he isn't real. This whole thing is a fiction and I don't feel even a scrap of guilt watching him blaze through this world filled with crazy characters, vibrant colors, and tense violence. As for Alabama? She's mostly just eye candy for a bit (and she is pretty damn hot in this), but things turn quite in her favor during that brutal motel room scene. Mad respect to both the character and actress for that.

And of course it would be absolutely remiss to not address those crazy characters they encounter. Brad Pitt is a big standout, of course. It's almost a shame he's so good looking because he's really a gifted character actor, especially in comedic roles like this. Christopher Walken, Dennis Hopper, Bronson Pinchot, and Gary Oldman are also great. Literally every familiar face (and wow are there a lot of them) makes an impact with their screentime regardless of how small. Even the like two seconds we get of Samuel L. Jackson is great (and definitely helps to cement the movie as more of a Tarantino flick than a Tony Scott one for me).

Now I won't deny that this film is not flawless. The Elvis scenes feel a bit silly even in a movie filled with things that are utterly ridiculous (but they're brief enough that they don't detract much) and I suppose some of the dialogue could've been cut a bit short, but it's not like this is serious drama. This is a movie with the sole purpose of entertaining its audience and it absolutely excels at it. It is one damn fun ride.

My Ballot:
3. The Man From Nowhere (#87)
7. True Romance (#60)
12. Shutter Island (#86)
17. Killer Joe (2011) (#66)

I haven't seen Bound.

I watched True Romance for a Hall of Fame. I was pretty lukewarm on it as a whole. Here's what I wrote:

True Romance (1993) -

This film was a mixed bag for me. For one, I don't know what it was going for with the characters. Clarence and Alabama's flaws are left out in the open,
WARNING: spoilers below
but given the weird 'they live happily ever after' ending,
it seems like you're meant to root for the two of them, and that connection just wasn't there for me. Like, Clarence's Elvis Presley hallucination in the first act screamed "This guy needs serious help!" and I kept that impression all throughout the film. Alabama didn't prove much better in this regard as the way she shrugged Clarence's violence off (the line "I think what you did is so romantic" made me cringe so hard) also annoyed me. As per Tarantino style, the action is highly stylized, but I found very little of it exciting. Those scenes really could've used some tightening up in terms of editing and cinematography. Even the final shootout, though interesting on paper, suffered from this to a degree. With that being said, I liked a few aspects about this film. Tarantino's writing style isn't for everyone, and while a couple scenes like the n word conversation are cringe inducing, I enjoyed most of the dialogue and felt it brought enough style to the film to keep it entertaining from beginning to end. Tarantino has a talent for writing catchy and witty scripts and this film was no exception to that. The film also lives up to another of Tarantino's strengths as it has a strong ensemble cast. Slater, Hopper, Walken, Rubinek, Rapaport, and even Arquette, though her acting occasionally annoyed me, ranged from good to great. Finally, while the story didn't interest me much, I did enjoy a few smaller scenes within the larger story, like Elliot being pulled over by a cop. Issues aside, I enjoyed my time with this film and, while I doubt I'll ever end up loving it, I might watch it again if I'm in the right mood.

Very cool nineties pairing here. It just works doesn't it. Bound is the Wachowski's best film not named The Matrix Part 1 and by far because the rest is bleh.

A couple of fun, stylish, very memorable crime noir films from the nineties with great casts especially supporting cast for True Romance.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... TRUE ROMANCE

RT – 93%, IMDb – 7.9

Roger Ebert said:

"True Romance, which feels at times like a fire sale down at the cliche factory, is made with such energy, such high spirits, such an enchanting goofiness, that it's impossible to resist. Check your brains at the door." (read full document here)
Richard Harrington, from The Washington Post, said:

"Despite its noir references and evocations, this slick film, directed by Tony Scott from Quentin Tarantino's script, is a preposterously bloody mess, as is the plot." (read full review here)
@Gideon58 said:

"This movie envelops the viewer from the beginning, not so much by the story itself, but the way the story is told...Tarantino again proves to be a master storyteller who knows how to let a story unfold slowly, let the viewer not only get to know the characters but to get to care about them so that when they're in the thick of it, we're with Clarence and Alabama." (read full review here)

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... BOUND

RT – 87%, IMDb – 7.3

Roger Ebert said:

"Bound is one of those movies that works you up, wrings you out and leaves you gasping. It's pure cinema, spread over several genres. It's a caper movie, a gangster movie, a sex movie and a slapstick comedy." (read full document here)
James Robert Douglas, from The Guardian, said:

"Watch the film now and you’ll find not only an immaculately crafted neo-noir, but also a skeleton key to the [Wachowski] sisters’ entire career." (read full review here)
@Takoma11 said:

"In a typical crime thriller, the character of Corky would be a man. A brooding, maybe not so bright, hunk who gets drawn in by the sexy gangster’s moll very much to his detriment. But making Corky a woman, and by extension making Violet queer, does really interesting things to the character dynamics and what we’d normally expect from the direction of the story." (read full review here)

I've seen both, but didn't consider Bound for this competition. I probably should have. It might have made 24-25 on my list.

I thought True Romance was just okay.

I believe I'm at:

Seen 20 of 42

Yeah, I almost went with yours, but had already used your review for True Romance

Wasn't looking to be used, just wanted to share my enthusiasm about the movie.
I know. Just wanted you to know that you had good reviews for both.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
#60. True Romance (1993)

This is fully in my radar. I've seen it several times, first in theatre, last - about ten years ago. For some reason, I didn't think of it when started constructing my ballot.
Yes, a rich collection of colorful characters. (In those early nineties, I've passionately followed Christian Slater's films, being heavily obsessed by The Name of the Rose (1986) and True Romance totally satisfied my expectations).
+
82/100

1 for 2. Watched True Romance years ago but never felt compelled to check out Bound. TR has so many great actors in juicy roles. Walken and Dennis Hopper. Rapaport and Pitt. Oldman, Gandolfini, Samuel L. Neither of these made my ballot.

Have seen 23 of the 42.

#60. True Romance (1993)

This is fully in my radar. I've seen it several times, first in theatre, last - about ten years ago. For some reason, I didn't think of it when started constructing my ballot.
Yes, a rich collection of colorful characters. (In those early nineties, I've passionately followed Christian Slater's films, being heavily obsessed by The Name of the Rose (1986) and True Romance totally satisfied my expectations).
+
82/100
Brad Pitt was SO funny in this movie.

Love True Romance but didn't see it as a fit for this countdown, not that I'm convinced that some movies I voted for fit, or some movies I didn't vote for don't. I just went with my gut.

I'm very convinced that Bound fits here perfectly.

1. Killer Joe (#66)
3. Gone Baby Gone (#64)
9. Mona Lisa (#78)
11. The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (#62)
12. Body Double (#69)
15. The Driver (#79)
21. Manhunter (#77)
24. Bound (#59)

A couple friends taking me to see True Romance all those years ago was my first introduction to Tarantino, and while a bit of its shine has worn off, and I'm definitely not the Tarantino fanboy I once had been, True Romance is still a huge favorite. I probably saw it thirty times or more back in the 90s, and so I had it all the way up at #5.

My List:
5. True Romance (#60)
11. The Friends of Eddie Coyle (#100)
12. Branded to Kill (#71)
18. Following (#84)
21. Mother (#67)
22. Purple Noon (#94)

Oh hey, look at that, Bound is on my list at #23. Klute is also on my list at #7. Jane was my style icon. The hair, the outfit, the jewelry. I loved Bree Daniels' look. I sported a shag throughout the late seventies.