The MoFo Top 100 of the Fifties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I wonder who had Alice at #1.

At the 70 mark, I get my first triple, bumps me up to 8.

Seen: 37/70 (+9)
My List: 8/25 (+3)

4. Pather Panchali (40)
9. Wages of Fear (50)
11. Nights of Cabiria (71)
12. Tokyo Twilight (91)
16. Sansho the Bailiff (34)
18. Rififi (53)
19. Hiroshima, Mon Amour (75)
25. Throne of Blood (38)

But a really rough start to the next set of ten...

0 for 4 so far.

Seen both, like both, voted for neither - but that's only because High Noon sadly completely slipped my mind when making my list .... those saying it perhaps should have been a little higher can assuredly blame moi

Top ten prediction (as that seems to be en vogue at the moment):
1. North By Northwest
2. 12 Angry Men
3. Seven Samurai
4. On The Waterfront
5. Witness For The Prosecution
6. Vertigo
7. A Streetcar Named Desire
8. Singin' In The Rain
9. Sunset Boulevard
10. All About Eve

Write-up of Alice in Wonderland... There is a lot of love for the film here on the forum, but unfortunately I'm not exactly one of them.

Guess it's Disney Classic number 13 for a reason.

MovieMeditation presents...
HIS FILM DIARY 2015
total movie count ........... current day count
179 .......................... 186

May 22nd

—— 1951 ——
ALICE IN
WONDERLAND

—— animation ——
DISNEY CLASSIC no.13

I’m fairly certain this counts as my first ever wander through wonderland,
though I do remember having the Disney-versioned book read aloud when I was a kid

Even though the book had fitting stills from the film, it is far from the same, and the total runtime clocking in at seventy-five minutes couldn’t be pressed into the pages of the book in its entirety either. I have seen Burton’s version, which doesn’t really resemble the classic tale in the best way possible, and then I remember something about a short story based on the original book as well. So it is safe to say that I’m as crazily confused as The Mad Hatter, when it comes to finding heads and tails in this whirlwind of wonderlands, that my expectations felt just as bewildered as Alice herself walking through the unknown of a faraway fantasyland…

Unfortunately, I wasn’t really as impressed with this film as I hoped to be. I definitely know just how beloved this catalogue classic from Disney has become over the years, probably even since its release, but the style of the film was simply a beat I couldn’t dance to. Of course I know it is supposed to be purposely off-beat oddity, but I didn’t feel like it was the kind I enjoyed watching. It was weird just for the sake of it, while the animators seemed to have been given full freedom to create chaos, which comes of as very incoherent and outbalanced in a few places. Once again, it is obviously meant to be a crazy world and I must admit the the animation itself is sometimes absolutely stunning and constantly creative. But it isn’t every set piece and every character that feels followed through. I really enjoyed the flower scene for example, while the twins annoyed the living hell out of me.

In the end this is a beautifully done animated film, with great revolutionary animation from Disney, but the world of wonderland can be a little too exhausting and exasperating to be lost in for too long. I kind of wished the film itself had the tempo of the waistcoat-wearing white rabbit, who is always rapidly running late, instead of the slothful hookah-smoking caterpillar, who is conversing in constant confusion and stretching out stuff longer than needed be. Obviously, this is only to create a clear contrast, since I like both of those characters in the film. Despite the film being a little too much of the good stuff and feeling a little too colorful for a story painting the same picture over and over again, I really do respect the film a lot, and I will probably revisit wonderland at some point again. Who knows, maybe I will end up liking it more a second time, as it was the case with my recent watch of Disney’s ‘101 Dalmatians’.

-

Frankly, back in the day Alice always left me underwhelmed and admittedly, watching it again recently did little to sate my lust for a coherent surrealist narrative, but as what I've come to recognize as a genre of nonsense stories which have gone on to inspire art and storytelling, it's one of the best and it's the perfect material for Disney to flex their inventiveness with which appeals to me as an animator as well.

Excerpt from my review:

If there's ANY takeaway from Alice as a compelling addition to the medium it's given away in a subtle gesture at the beginning of the movie:

This isn't a slam against Alice's Adventures Underground, it's an admission that you don't need a traditional narrative to create something compelling or interesting, much like how Fantasia was essentially was just a collection of animations set to classical music.

Alice in Wonderland contains plenty of words, but what it does, arguably better than any other Disney movie to date, is create a world that simultaneously makes no sense, but is so visually, creatively, and thematically indulgent that it excels in taking that world of delusional fantasy from our dreams and trapping it in a bottle.

I like it a little more than him, I think, but for the most part I'm with MM. I am not head over heels about Alice in Wonderland. I watched it recently hoping for an experience as joyful as the one I had with Lady and the Tramp, but was left slightly bored and very underwhelmed. The fact that it is higher than Lady and the Tramp is a damn shame, too.

Alice in Wonderland is one of the Disney childhood films I liked the most. Maybe only behind Fantasia.

Alice in Wonderland and its inventive trippyness came in at #13 on my 50s decade entry ballot ticket certified certificate submission.

My List
6. The Seven Year Itch
9. Horror of Dracula
12. The Creature From The Black Lagoon
13. Alice in Wonderland
18. House of Wax

I mean, MoFo is Wonderland. If we're telling stories about our experience with the Alice in Wonderland, now may be the only time to declare that I fingerblasted this girl in the theater for the remake however many years back. I mean......... I could have left that out like a normal person, but then this post wouldn't have been about the only thing I remember from my Alice in Wonderland Franchise experience. She enjoyed this Alice stuff

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
High Noon is a tense, terse western, played out in close to real time, crisply shot by DP Floyd Crosby (David's father) and propelled throughout by the theme song sung by Tex Ritter (John's father). It's certainly one of the best westerns of the decade with a civics lesson thrown in before the fantastic showdown that occurs after the clock strikes twelve and the train shows up. I didn't have it on my list. Here's the opening with the theme and three of the baddies - Lee Van Cleef, Sheb Wooley ("The Purple People Eater" song) & Robert J. Wilke (Days of Heaven).

As you may know by now, Alice in Wonderland was my #1.
Alice in Wonderland (Clyde Geronomi, Wilfred Jackson, Hamilton Luske, 1951)

Walt Disney hated this awesome version of the Lewis Carroll novel. He couldn't find anybody to root for and he found the lack of a strong story to be a huge roadblock. All I can say is I'm thankful that he didn't force the animation and writing team to change the incredibly surreal and uproarious content of this, my vote for the greatest traditional animated film ever made. I don't really want to go into how fast-paced and insane this film is, but it's a non-stop assault on the pomposity of logic and staid Victorian England which is also still able to include digs at many modern foibles which humans have in our current day and age, among them being rude and in far too much of a hurry to even say good day. It's also a potent political satire when we get to the Red Queen and how all things must be her way. There are so many wonderfully-drawn and beautifully-voiced characters that it's unfair to single some out, but I have to mention the Cheshire Cat (Sterling Holloway), the Caterpillar (Richard Haydn), the Mad Hatter (Ed Wynn) and the March Hare (Jerry Colonna). The crazy songs are frosting on the cake and a perfect aural counterpoint to the mind-blowing visuals. Some of this movie, especially the incredible opening scene, seems to be almost shot in 3-D.
My List
1 Alice in Wonderland (#27)
2. The Quiet Man (#51)
4. Room at the Top (#73)
8. The Caine Mutiny (#80)
14. People Will Talk (#88)
19. Night and Fog (#54)
21. Oklahoma! (#97)
24. The Big Country (#66)

Woody Allen is a pedophille
High Noon
was my #14!
Here was my original review from my review thread:
HIGH NOON

I recently said in another review that The Searchers was my favorite western of all time. I would like to immediately retract that statement, because soon after writing the review, I saw High Noon.

High Noon is the story of a formal marshall who is shocked to hear that a criminal he once sent off to execution, is coming back for him. He then has only a few hours to recruit as many deputies as he can. The greatest thing about this movie is that it takes place mostly in real time. This was way ahead of its time in 1952 when the film was released. Most of the story follows five different character, the former marshall, his wife, his deputy, his ex-lover, and the men who are waiting to pick up the criminal. The movie switches between all five stories seamlessly, and makes us interested in every one of them. I original applauded The Searchers for being the most straight forward western I had ever seen, and I applaud High Noon for doing exactly the opposite. Gary Cooper played the lead role very well, much better than John Wayne ever has. All of the acting in this film was incredible, especially for its genre. The only problem that I have with this film is that some of the main character look alike, and that confused me.

As of writing, this is the best western I have ever seen. The music, the acting, the writing, the story, everything falls together perfectly. In conclusion, I would definitely recommend this movie to anyone.

One of my favorite Pre-Leone Westerns. Got in around the middle of my list. Here is my full list so far:

1.?
2.?
3.?
4.?
5. ?
6. Ace in the Hole (44)
7. ?
8. ?
9. ?
10. ?
11. ?
12. The Day the Earth Stood Still (36)
13. ?
14. High Noon (28)
15. ?
16. Strangers on a Train (32)
17. ?
18. Rififi (53)
19. ?
20. ?
21. ?
22. Forbidden Planet (55)
23.?
24. Mon Oncle (67)
25.?

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Alice in Wonderland is genius. I think it would be a part of my top 100 if I were to make another one. What I love about it is the oddball characters and the creativity that it presents. I had it at 16 but it could have been higher.

High Noon was ten for me. It's a simple yet effect story and it is probably in contention for being one of my favorite Westerns ever. I loved Gary Coopers performance.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I had Alice at #15, right behind Peter Pan for me. I also had Harvey on my list. A very endearing flick for me which Mark F picked two excellent lines that truly sum it up. Watched Ten Comandnents damn near every Easter as a kid - didn't make the list. Seen only bits of High Noon and Ben Hur - 2 serious classics I really need to see and finally, have not had the chance to see Strangers on a Train, another I should try to see at some point.

List:
#6 Harvey (31)
#7 Stalag 17 (48)
#14 Peter Pan (59)
#15 Alice in Wonderland (27)
#21 In A Lonely Place (33)
#24 The Killing (52)

Watched: 40/74

I should have still a huge chunk of my list to be popping up (around another 9 or so which should be a solid 2/3 of my list to make it) though I am rather concerned about my #1 and its chances. . .

I found Alice in the Wonderland to be a bit arid, I watched it after Jal90 put it very high into his favorite animated films list. I was disappointed.

While High Noon was an ok movie for me.