What was the last movie you saw at the theaters?

Tools    

Movie Fan
Well me and my boyfriend were going to go see Paranormal Activity, but it was sold out that night so our second choice was Couples Retreat and i thought it was funny.

Some people said that they thought it would be funnier, but what do you expect? It's about couples working through their problems. I was surprised that it was as funny as it was, because people working through their issues as a married couple can get pretty ugly.

Kenny, don't paint your sister.

The Blind Side

The poster has it right when it says that this is an extraordinary true story. I was expecting a serious drama about football, which was far from what I saw. While it has a serious storyline and falls into the drama category. However, it actually has a lot of comedy and isn't overwhelming with seriousness (for lack of a better word). This one exceeded my expectations of film today.

Sandra Bullock was very impressive with the largest role. Her character is a confident and no nonsense woman who takes pity on a less fortunate African American boy. The boy, played by Quiton Aaron, is kind of your typical shy and quiet character. He thought of as dumb but is actually clever and talented. Tim McGraw shows that he is capable of doing more than just sing, and Kathy Bates did a lot with a small role. The hilarious little brother SJ delivers a lot of laughs.

Since it was based on a true story, I have trouble criticizing the plot. It isn't the most original but I couldn't find any real problems with it. Toward the end some suspense comes into play. Overall, it had lots of laughs but a heartfelt story. I felt I got my money's worth on this one.

Last movie I've seen in theater is the twilight saga new moon.

NINE
2009 - Rob Marshall

The much-anticipated Musical with the all-star cast and the director of the Best Picture winning Chicago is a bit of a misfire. The big screen adaptation of the Tony Award winning Broadway hit of the early 1980s (starring the late Raul Julia) which was itself a stage adaptation of Federico Fellini's legendary (1963), which is itself a thinly-veiled bit of playful post modern autobiography about a director who can't seem to finish making his latest movie as the experiences of his past, present and dreams collide. The film, Nine, has the same basic plot of with Daniel Day-Lewis as Guido Contini, an aging director in 1965 Italy who doesn't even have a script yet for his latest project, which is supposedly days away from beginning. Artistically he is blocked, and in the opening scene we see him try to envision characters on his empty set, various muses who we will quickly learn are all modeled on the women of his life: his wife Luisa (Marion Cotillard), his Mother (Sophia Loren), leading actress Claudia (Nicole Kidman), his mistress Carla (Penélope Cruz), his costume designer and professional confidant (Judi Dench), an American fashion reporter (Kate Hudson) and a whore he visited as a young boy (played by Grammy-winner Fergie). As Guido tries to juggle these women and his memories the filmmaking is postponed. Of course being a Musical each has at least one number of their own.

While it's probably unfair to compare Nine to Chicago it's also inevitable. Nine simply has none of the wit and energy of Chicago. Because the characters are deliberately left as archetypes rather than real people there really isn't much to get invested in emotionally, the songs aren't at all memorable overall, and for a movie about moviemaking it is awfully uncinematic over and over again, adhering far too much to its stage roots instead of the movie lineage a layer deeper. Strange. As an example of how it fails to take advantage of the medium, Fellini's opens with a fantastic sequence of Guido stuck in a traffic jam in a tunnel. After his car fills with smoke he climbs out the window and flies away to find himself tethered like a kite on a coastline and when his cord is yanked he plummets to the sea only to awake in a shot, stressed about making the movie. While it would have been silly and maybe even deadly to replicate that exact Fellini sequence, it is precisely the kind of energy and imagination that is just about completely absent from Marshall's film. That such elaborate fantasies weren't attempted on the Broadway stage in 1982 is understandable. That Marshall working in film in 2009 doesn't try to capture that kind of sequence in any way is a huge missed opportunity and baffling to me.

The actors, most of whom have won Oscars in their careers, are all quite good, as you'd expect, but sadly are given so little to work with. Day-Lewis is at his sexiest, and his Guido going from bed to bed as he delays making a movie he can't quite imagine is an elegant and striking figure for him to cut in his fine suits and lithe movements. His Italian accent is wonderful (unlike Nicole Kidman's, which is pretty weak). The other stars pretty much get to use their own accents naturally, which helps. But while Cotillard and Cruz especially get some very nice moments, they aren't grounded in much character and very little story. Penélope is sexy as Hell and the scenes between her and Daniel in the cheap hotel are among Nine's best. But other than some nice moments, it never comes together as something more than a sum of its parts. The songs are pretty dull, operetta style with looser rhyme schemes, and the only real showstopper when it comes to the singing and dancing is Fergie as the whore Saraghina, with "Be Italian". The other actors, including Day-Lewis, do fine and dandy with the songs, but when it gets to the one person in the cast who can really belt out a tune...wow, you can't help but notice the difference.

And to compare unfairly to Chicago again, there is nothing as witty or character-based in this movie as "Mister Cellophane" or "Razzle Dazzle" in Nine. And considering the original Fellini movie ended with the entire cast literally dancing together you'd expect that perhaps Nine might at least get that right...but again, a missed opportunity, a false, flat, boring note where there should be an aria, or at least a carnival.

But that isn't to say Nine is an unwatchable disaster or anything either, it certainly isn't. The charm and talent of the cast, especially Day-Lewis, Cruz, Cotillard and Fergie, save it. But there's nothing extraordinary or dreamlike or, dare I say, Felliniesque about it either. Retranslating this material back to the cinema could have yielded magic. Instead it's a slick but oddly unambitious and unengaging exercise in style that seems to have missed what is enduring about and cinema itself.

GRADE: C+

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Princess And The Frog

Hi!
2012 movie I saw last at the theater. I watched this movie two weeks ago with my friends. I like this movie so much. Special effects and sound in 2012 are excellent. The end of the world in this movie is too terrible. 2012 is better than " The day after tomorrow". If you haven't seen it, you should watch it some day.