Who is the most overrated director?

Tools    

Originally Posted by Infinite Iteration
You're aware that was a reference to Team America, right?
Alright, I concede the point. I missed the reference.
You have to admit that it made a nice hook though.

I can't judge what 'art/film' is supposed to do - the enterprise is not only inherently subjective from a qualitative standpoint...
Hate to split the quote here but...Let me first point out that using this criteria, YOUR criteria, it is also impossible to judge film good or bad, technically, in narrative structure, as a whole etc...but lets continue...

...but it's meanings and purposes are likewise neither settled nor certain. What I can judge is what I desire and expect from art and film, and what these concepts mean to me. Within that frame of reference, and keeping in mind historical patterns of cultural practice and mediation in the United States, I find the American national cinema to be inferior on the whole (key phrase, that) to the national cinemas of several other countries (notably Japan, China, Germay and France) in particular, and world cinema in general. So, to me, saying something is one of the best 20th century American films is a bit like saying, "Well, the New York Mets are the best team in the National League," and that's above and beyond any disputes I may have about the actual place of the film in question within the American cinematic pantheon.
"On the whole?" "...Historical patterns of cultural practice and mediation in the United States?" Whose practices, the whole of what? Using what frame of reference since your initial criteria contains no matter, you basically deconstructed film criticism in the first sentence now you are referring to the "criteria" you established, It must be my democratic/middlebrow leanings but I don't understand how something appears suddenly from nothing. The problem is that the historical patterns in the United States are so varied and disparate that no context exists. Film in the United States at least in theory is far more democratic and populist than in France, china and Germany (need I remind you that David Hasselhoff is big in Germany) this is not really the case when you look at all the comedies and decidedly "middlebrow" flicks that come out of Germany on a regular basis but of course we are only counting the serious output" are we? Have you seen every cheese ball Kaiju film produced in Japan, all the (again) middlebrow fluff that comes out of this country? Apparently not. And China falls under the same category, the greatest gift the Chinese film industry (judging by volume) has given us is wirework if you count the WHOLE of the countries output, especially in the last 2 decades. But again you choose to ignore all the fluff, entertaining fluff but fluff nonetheless that these countries produce and only count the "serious" films that make it past the border to the masses. By sheer output the American film industry produces the same amount of crapola as do the other countries you mention. France has put out so many "watch it once, I dare you" consciously pushing the envelope sex and gore-wise (as did and still does Japan and China...check the culture as I said before) that if I have to sit through another hyper realistic rape and beating I’m going to tear out my own beautiful entrails. Your argument holds no water, especially given the vessel you wish to contain it with is nonexistent.

In a sense, this is true. On the other hand, the sheer volume of output coming from the United States makes the match more appropriate than comparing it directly to many of the smaller national cinemas.
As is the crux of my argument. Who is a snob? I will gladly sit through the lamest, loudest, most repugnant films just to see what all the hype is about, while you deny their existence and make asinine general statements about "sheer output" when you apparently have no idea exactly how many "bad" films the countries you mentioned make.

How is it 'culturally ignorant' to say film is the frame of reference for judging film? Using your criteria, we can't form any judgment or draw any comparison between any directors. Are we to treat each film as if it exists in a vacuum, with no reference to its place within an artist's body of work, much less to its place within the larger calvacade of film? What's the point of even having a site like this, of discussing film at all, if we are to be castigated for 'cultural ignorance' whenever we try to place a given film or film artist in a larger perspective?
I never said that it was impossible to judge film, nor did I establish any criteria for doing so, please re-read my post. It is culturally ignorant to be so selective when discussing American v. "Foreign" films and ignore (the root word of ignorance, mind you) the large amount of populist crap that comes out of the foreign film market. Just because it never reaches our shores does not mean it doesn’t count towards the filmic output of a country. It is both culturally ignorant and snobby to dismiss the many good films that come out in this country every year, wide released or not. Placing a given film in a larger perspective is not what I am arguing against here, it is over generalizing the output of the "others" as superior to "ours" without taking "everything" into consideration. It fits the definition of cultural ignorance absolutely.

Middle brow moralizing, artificially linear narratives, spoonfed plots - that's all most American film is.
You will get no argument from me there, but the same applies for most films produced by and WATCHED by other filmgoers in other markets. That is the point you miss.

But you know, some people prefer that...just as some people prefer their films to be visually evocative, dreamlike in mood, and to play with memory and expectation through structure, you know, the 'absurdist claptrap' you so casually dismiss.
I don't prefer self conscious "aren't I clever" filmmaking, I feel like I wasted my time every time I fell for the hype and ended up, not scratching, but shaking my head at the obviousness of the director's own self conscious attempt to "play with memory and expectation through structure." That makes me angry and leaves me feeling manipulated, and not in a good way. Please hear me, I am NOT, I repeat NOT dismissing the power of a well-made film, from any cultural frame of reference. What I am soundly dismissing is this notion that the crap we produce is any worse than the crap produced by other countries on a regular basis, and that our percentage of gems are any less.

Look, I can draw this out for ages, but it's clear that I'm not the only one practicing a little snobbery here...
Yeah, middlebrow snobbery...ain't it loverly when a contradiction works so well. In all seriousness though, I don't know how or when I exhibited any snobbery, I love film regardless of country of origin. I love American film because of what it says about MY culture, for good or ill, and I love the rest for the same reason as well as the fact that it will hopefully show me something I am not familiar with.

Originally Posted by Othelo

Hate to split the quote here but...Let me first point out that using this criteria, YOUR criteria, it is also impossible to judge film good or bad, technically, in narrative structure, as a whole etc...
Not at all. I'm not saying that there is no basis or set of criteria on which to judge art or film, I'm questioning whether it is possible to postulate absolute criteria: the meaning of art, the purpose of film, the set of rules all must be weighed against. The trap isn't having standards, the trap is assuming your standards can or should be universalized.

"On the whole?" "...Historical patterns of cultural practice and mediation in the United States?" Whose practices, the whole of what?
"On the whole" sometimes rendered "On the balance" - evaluating an event, phenomenon etc. in its totality with an eye toward general trends rather than paticularities and singular expressions.

In this case, the 'whole' refers to the totality of American film and reflects the historical and cultural circumstances that shaped it. American cinema is uniquely commercial (and thus uniquely constrained in terms of its format, structural methods, sociopolitical content etc.), in large part because Hollywood is not only the national cinema of the United States, but the prime mediator of commercial cinema to the world. The practical effect is that American film is generally character and plot driven, structurally conventional, visually 'realistic' and philosophically moderate. It is, for the most part, a cinema of broad emotional strokes and narrow intellectual curiosity - entertaining, accessible, populist - with an emphasis on production values and direct representation.

Which is all well and good, but utterly unappealing to me.

Using what frame of reference since your initial criteria contains no matter, you basically deconstructed film criticism in the first sentence now you are referring to the "criteria" you established
The problem here is that you misunderstood my earlier point, Q.E.D.

Film in the United States at least in theory is far more democratic and populist than in France, china and Germany (need I remind you that David Hasselhoff is big in Germany) this is not really the case when you look at all the comedies and decidedly "middlebrow" flicks that come out of Germany on a regular basis but of course we are only counting the serious output" are we?
Here's the difference - (almost) all American film is intended for international consumption - very little of the on-the-cheap productions out of Germany or Japan is intended for consumption beyond the borders of those countries, and fits much more closely with, say, direct to video releases for the US market than with cinema in a broader sense.

And China falls under the same category, the greatest gift the Chinese film industry (judging by volume) has given us is wirework if you count the WHOLE of the countries output, especially in the last 2 decades.
Wire work appears in only a small percentage of Chinese films - it is overrepresented on US video store shelves because of the American love affair with martial arts movies. If contemporary Chinese film can be said to have given a single 'gift' to the modern cinema, it is the return of an intensely visual sensibility to film, regardless of genre.

But again you choose to ignore all the fluff, entertaining fluff but fluff nonetheless that these countries produce and only count the "serious" films that make it past the border to the masses. By sheer output the American film industry produces the same amount of crapola as do the other countries you mention. France has put out so many "watch it once, I dare you" consciously pushing the envelope sex and gore-wise (as did and still does Japan and China...check the culture as I said before) that if I have to sit through another hyper realistic rape and beating I’m going to tear out my own beautiful entrails. Your argument holds no water, especially given the vessel you wish to contain it with is nonexistent.
Certainly, flaws can be detected in any filmmaker or national cinema. Everyone has their biases, their unexamined prejudices, their dirty little fetishes etc. I personally find the flaws of many national cinemas far less irritating than those common in American film - that hardly makes me a 'snob,' it just makes me someone with tastes that diverge from yours.

I never said that it was impossible to judge film, nor did I establish any criteria for doing so, please re-read my post.
Here's what you wrote, word for word:

Its culturally ignorant to judge the storytelling of a Kurosawa against that of a Goddard not to mention Goddard to Truffaut or a Miike to Kurosawa or further to contain them all within the same box called “foreign film” and judge them against a culture of film that is born from a culture so new.
Now when you can explain how claiming that one cannot legitimately compare Miike to Kurosawa without being 'culturally ignorant' has **** all to do with your current claims, I'm all ears.

It is culturally ignorant to be so selective when discussing American v. "Foreign" films and ignore (the root word of ignorance, mind you) the large amount of populist crap that comes out of the foreign film market.
I don't ignore it, but I do find the populist strain within, say, French cinema to be vastly more tolerable than the populist strain within US filmmaking, because they're still operating in different frameworks.

Besides - the art film to commercial crap ratio is vastly higher in the US than in most foreign cinemas (Bollywood being a notable exception, and Hong Kong at one time as well).

I don't prefer self conscious "aren't I clever" filmmaking, I feel like I wasted my time every time I fell for the hype and ended up, not scratching, but shaking my head at the obviousness of the director's own self conscious attempt to "play with memory and expectation through structure."
From here to here, with nary a trace of irony...

Yeah, middlebrow snobbery...ain't it loverly when a contradiction works so well. In all seriousness though, I don't know how or when I exhibited any snobbery, I love film regardless of country of origin.
I mean, dismissing the French New Wave as "Brooding bull****, mood lighting, absurdist claptrap" isn't at all snobbish...

I love American film because of what it says about MY culture, for good or ill, and I love the rest for the same reason as well as the fact that it will hopefully show me something I am not familiar with.
Good for you, and I love the 'brooding bull****' for what it says about all of us. You seem to have an expectation though, that everyone should share your love of the films you like, which, to my way of thinking, is hella more 'snobbish' than saying "On the whole, I don't really like American film."

Incidentally, you never answered my question, do you honestly think Bringing Out the Dead is a 'classic,' or were you just trying to fudge a bit and hope no one noticed, for the sake of the argument?

Not at all. I'm not saying that there is no basis or set of criteria on which to judge art or film, I'm questioning whether it is possible to postulate absolute criteria: the meaning of art, the purpose of film, the set of rules all must be weighed against. The trap isn't having standards, the trap is assuming your standards can or should be universalized.
You said
I can't judge what 'art/film' is supposed to do - the enterprise is not only inherently subjective from a qualitative standpoint, but it's meanings and purposes are likewise neither settled nor certain.
"On the whole" sometimes rendered "On the balance" - evaluating an event, phenomenon etc. in its totality with an eye toward general trends rather than paticularities and singular expressions.
Don't insult me with dictionary definitions. Your in-context explanation of what you meant is quite enough, thanks.

In this case, the 'whole' refers to the totality of American film and reflects the historical and cultural circumstances that shaped it. American cinema is uniquely commercial (and thus uniquely constrained in terms of its format, structural methods, sociopolitical content etc.), in large part because Hollywood is not only the national cinema of the United States, but the prime mediator of commercial cinema to the world. The practical effect is that American film is generally character and plot driven, structurally conventional, visually 'realistic' and philosophically moderate. It is, for the most part, a cinema of broad emotional strokes and narrow intellectual curiosity - entertaining, accessible, populist - with an emphasis on production values and direct representation.
Again I think you miss the "totality" of American cinema. There is much of American cinema which is highly specific to American audiences, further much of the indie films produced are very regionally minded. (From the small town, southern POV of Sling Blade to the New York sensibilities of Taxi Driver, to the upper crust exposure of Metropolitan) you seem to be focused on the current state of modern cinema and not the "totality" you insist you take into account. I hardly think that a subtly nuanced film like Lost in Translation qualifies, nor does The Night Listener or 'Night Mother or even The Sixth Sense or Do the Right Thing or...or...

But I think I'm beginning to understand something about your perspective. I view American culture as a work in progress, an incomplete masterpiece and American film is a reflection of that. I judge films produced in America and elsewhere (the WHOLE of them) with this in mind.

This is precisely what I was talking about when I made the statement about Kuorasawa and Miike, the cultural climate from which they come is similar but not the same, therefore using the same criteria without taking into account the differences in culture is unfair. I extended it to include cross-cultural comparisons. The narrative structure of most J-Horror films or say a Dario Argento film are nonexistent when viewed by most Americans yet still there are redeeming qualities still abound. Both very specific genres have analogous American counterparts but judging a film like William Castle's The Haunting against Kaidan using the same cultural criteria is unfair and will render an inaccurate result.

You seem to be stuck believing that the only American films are the ones released to a mass audience at least that what you seem to be saying...

The problem here is that you misunderstood my earlier point, Q.E.D.

Here's the difference - (almost) all American film is intended for international consumption - very little of the on-the-cheap productions out of Germany or Japan is intended for consumption beyond the borders of those countries, and fits much more closely with, say, direct to video releases for the US market than with cinema in a broader sense.
First off there is no quantifiable and/or obvious complete explanation therein. Re-state your point and I may reconsider otherwise…

This is patently untrue. Much is what is produced now by the larger studios is absolutely shaped and twisted by the studios to suit an international audience, this is simple economics, if you spend 120 million on a film and you only recoup about 100 million in the states you had better make it up in international distribution. This was not always the case especially in the wake of the independent boom of the 70's 80's and early 90's, and it still isn’t the case with the on-the-cheap films made in the United States.

Spending a few million in marketing and copying when the bulk of the cost of an indy film is burdened by the filmmakers, is nothing and there is no reason the film has to be marketed to an international audience, anything after that initial million or so made in the US is cake for the distributor.

All this and the fact that like our language, our filmic language is a familiar one to those overseas. We no longer have to cater our films to the tastes of Europe, Asia, Africa... they already know the language in both contexts.

I'll admit that we are going through a period when filmmaking in general is more formulaic but that period is not restricted to America. As America is still the worlds largest film market other countries are beginning to tailor their films to a more international audience (Nightwatch the recent spate of more linear-minded Martial Arts and horror films out of Hong Kong and Japan). But as you insist, if you are taking into account the entirety of film history your claim is quite obviously false.

The number of independent films produced in any given year rivals the number of films produced by Hollywood, ESPECIALLY during the 70's 80's and 90's. Further, more and more are being picked up for distribution now that the blockbuster is dying a slow painful death. Because there are fewer venues to show independent films they don't often get much time in the sun, but they do exist in large numbers.

It really doesn't matter who the film is made for (referring to your comment about the on the cheap German films) the simple fact that they are made counts against, or for the ratio.

Wire work appears in only a small percentage of Chinese films - it is over represented on US video store shelves because of the American love affair with martial arts movies. If contemporary Chinese film can be said to have given a single 'gift' to the modern cinema, it is the return of an intensely visual sensibility to film, regardless of genre.
I was being semi-sarcastic there. And the representation is more than you apparently know, the Martial arts film is still one of the primary film archetypes and the biggest INTERNATIONAL moneymakers. Again the populist films, whether seen by US audiences or not still far outnumber the "art" films of the likes of Wong Kar Wai.

Certainly, flaws can be detected in any filmmaker or national cinema. Everyone has their biases, their unexamined prejudices, their dirty little fetishes etc. I personally find the flaws of many national cinemas far less irritating than those common in American film - that hardly makes me a 'snob,' it just makes me someone with tastes that diverge from yours.
Snobbery does not exist in what you do or do not like, snobbery exists in what you will or will not watch. I will admit to a certain amount of film snobbery a certain very small amount since I am willing to watch almost anything (even Michael Bay, Armageddon is one of my favorite films, it conforms to every stereotype you mentioned but it does it well and with feeling). Stating flatly that the sum of the world’s qualitative output is far greater than that of the United States and then completely dismissing the bulk of films produced here is simple snobbery. When I mentioned the cultural curiosities that exist in the countries who's film (and apparently cultures) you hold in such high regard, it was to demonstrate the imperfection of the culture not to demonize the art that comes from it because there is that.

Now when you can explain how claiming that one cannot legitimately compare Miike to Kurosawa without being 'culturally ignorant' has **** all to do with your current claims, I'm all ears.
Taken out of contest I cannot. What I was saying was that you cannot legitimately compare the two using the same cultural criteria (see above).

I don't ignore it, but I do find the populist strain within, say, French cinema to be vastly more tolerable than the populist strain within US filmmaking, because they're still operating in different frameworks.
Huh? My point is that it is all the same thing and you CANNOT compare the two using the same cultural criteria. You confirm this by saying the framework is different for each. Seems to me that you hate the current state of American culture, which is a personal choice and not one of overall quality.

Besides - the art film to commercial crap ratio is vastly higher in the US than in most foreign cinemas (Bollywood being a notable exception, and Hong Kong at one time as well).
Again I say HUH?
You just dismissed two of the worlds most prolific film producers yet you STILL claim the whole to be greater than the sum of its parts? What about the current state of Japanese cinema, plenty of dreck there, and German...there too. Regardless who it was produced for a film produced is still a film produced.

From here to here, with nary a trace of irony...
Not Irony, my friend, sarcasm, there is a difference.

mean, dismissing the French New Wave as "Brooding bull****, mood lighting, absurdist claptrap" isn't at all snobbish...
I NEVER dismissed the whole movement as anything. I used a qualifier, I believe it was "a lot" or "much" but there are many films that came out of that period that I absolutely LOVE. I try not to paint broad strokes, although I do succumb to it from time to time.

Good for you, and I love the 'brooding bull****' for what it says about all of us. You seem to have an expectation though, that everyone should share your love of the films you like, which, to my way of thinking, is hella more 'snobbish' than saying "On the whole, I don't really like American film."
Its not the brooding I mind its the bull****. And I will say this a second time; I qualified every statement I made. There is a strain of filmmaking both foreign and domestic that is far too self-conscious for my liking. When it comes through it makes me want to throw a brick at the screen, but I have still never walked out of a film. I’m saying on the whole you fail to acknowledge the breadth of American film. I don’t see it as strictly a Foreign film phenomenon and I did not mean to imply I did.

Incidentally, you never answered my question, do you honestly think Bringing Out the Dead is a 'classic,' or were you just trying to fudge a bit and hope no one noticed, for the sake of the argument?
I didn’t answer it because it felt inconsequential to the subject at hand but yes I do. I was one of the few people who loved that film, not because of who directed it, (I didn’t know going in and I missed about 5 minutes initially) or even what is accomplished but what it tried to, I do give credit for trying. I believe it will be acknowledged as a classic (at the very least a transitional film) by the film community sooner or later. I don’t “fudge.” And I have no problem admitting I missed something. (see the last post)

James Cameron, hands down. I mean at this point is he even "rated" anymore?? I love the Abyss, one of my faves, and Titanic was stellar (as a romace), but aside from that... he hypes up these amazing feats of cinematography and then disappoints.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Originally Posted by wonderwall
James Cameron, hands down. I mean at this point is he even "rated" anymore??
If he isn't even rated, can he really be the most overrated?

Stanley Kubrick.

Middle brow moralizing, artificially linear narratives, spoonfed plots - that's all most American film is. But you know, some people prefer that...just as some people prefer their films to be visually evocative, dreamlike in mood, and to play with memory and expectation through structure, you know, the 'absurdist claptrap' you so casually dismiss.
Are you f****** kidding me? What American films have you seen?

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Originally Posted by PrometheusFG
What American films have you seen?
He/she is obviously thinking of such linear, spoonfed-plot American films as Mulholland Drive, Memento and 2001 A Space Odyssey, which don't have any dreamlike qualities or play with expectation and memory at all...

Originally Posted by Thursday Next
He/she is obviously thinking of such linear, spoonfed-plot American films as Mulholland Drive, Memento and 2001 A Space Odyssey, which don't have any dreamlike qualities or play with expectation and memory at all...

Martin Scorcese, Steven Spielberg, Paul Thomas Anderson, Christopher Nolan and Quentin Tarantino

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Well, it was an interesting (and funny) read, but you won't find me tempting quicksand here.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
I only like 4 of his films. I bet you can guess them

1. The 3 Godfather movies

2. the Rainmaker

I think most directors are overrated in one way or another, but I think the bigger the name the easier it is to be overrated.

Though I also have an opinion on who I believe is overrated.

I think Tim Burton. Though I love alot of his work to no end (Corpse Bride is one of my favorite movies) I think the little Spooky children get to involved in making him this huge thing.

I think M. Night Shamalan. The Sixth Sense was so different when it first came out, but everything since then has been over done, and a little to expected.

I think Steven Spielberg. I think ET was a big different movie (though I'm not a fan, I understand what others see in it) but his movies are also pretty similar.

But that's just me.

Robert Altman -ive seen two of his films that were watchable(the long goodbye and mccabe and mrs miller) the rest were terrible and terribly boring.I also think tarintino is overated but i love kill bill and pulp fiction.

Francis Ford Coppola - a five-time Academy Award winning director, producer, and screen writer

Steven Spielberg - a three-time Academy Award winner and the highest grossing filmmaker of all time

Peter Jackson - an Academy winner, best known for his LOTR trilogy

Tim Burton - though not an Academy winner, his films always gain a cult following

Peter Jackson Steven Speilberg Clint Eastwood