Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Jules and Jim (1962) - Francois Truffaut

Liked it but at the same time felt that it was a bit overrated...may be I had higher expectations...

7 out of 10

Peeping Tom (1960)

British horror/thriller often compared to Psycho due to the release year. It seems that a few prefer this one and I can see why. I think Psycho stands out a little more with some memorable scenes and the theme music, but this may be a more consistently good film. It's hard to compare new favorites to old ones, so I'm not sure. I think Peeping Tom is more psychological in it's terror.

I think Peeping Tom is seedier and more nasty. Mark is quite clearly a sexually motivated serial killer, while Norman Bates kills those who come by and it's only at the end that we see he's done it before.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Someone like Minio would ban me for good if he was an admin, let's face it
No, I wouldn't. I would post some angry GIFs on you, tho.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Foxcatcher (2014)

I'm a big fan of true crime stories, but I don't think this particular one is all that interesting.*The movie really drags, but I think that's the nature of this story, and the only way it could be done. I think the filmmakers did about as much with it as they could. There's moments of intensity until the final upsetting payoff. I thought all three stars did a nice job. I don't necessarily agree with the casting of Steve Carell. I think when you have to alter an actor's appearance, it can distract from what the primary focus should be on. That being said, I was already a fan of Carell as an actor, and I think he was terrific. I also thought Channing Tatum was very good in what I saw as the most demanding role of the movie. Mark Ruffalo has played the nurturing big brother/role model type before. It's a role he is very good at, and this was no exception. I think it's a very good movie, but not one I would watch again.

The 'Burbs (1989)

I hadn't seen this movie in ages, and thought it was about time I revisited it, and, boy, was it worth it.

This is by far one of Tom Hanks' best pre-Philadelphia and Forrest Gump 80's comedy films.

The movie is a riot with superb performances by Bruce Dern, Corey Feldman, and Rick Docuommun.

Caesar and Cleopatra (1945}

Having only seen about 1/3 of the Elizabeth Taylor epic, and none of the Claudette Colbert version, I viewed this with fairly non-preconceived ideas. I truly loved it, despite no real action to speak of in a movie for which it might be expected. Lots of dialogue, but with it some really great acting by Claude Rains as Julius Caesar and Vivian Leigh as Cleopatra. Claude plays his part as a wise, aging soldier who is more about making friends now than enemies, although with a fight or two still in him; Vivian plays Cleo first as a spoiled young lady, then as a scheming woman who apparently has learned a lot about politics while sitting at Caesar's knee. Whether or not it works out for her or for Caesar plays out over the course of the movie. Flora Robson is super as Ftatateeta (try saying that 3 times fast!), Cleopatra's nurse-maid/nanny/right-hand woman from Cleo's birth on. And although Stewart Granger is third-billed, he is sort of wasted in his part of a Sicilian art expert who comes to Alexandria to sell Cleopatra some fine carpets. Still it is fun to see him sun-toned skin next to Vivian Leigh's pale epidermis. All-told, a fine two-plus hours of entertainment.

La Bamba

A standard bio-pic lifted by an excellent lead performance and a delightful soundtrack though nothing much else. I remember watching Selena with Jennifer Lopez, that seemed pretty standard as well. If it comes too, watch both with a sombrero and a bowl full of nachos at your side. Films don't strike a chord, you can always look back and have a bit of a laugh.

Greatest Sidekick Ever
The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies

A little too fast paced compared to it's predecessor 'The Return Of The King', but 'The Battle Of The Five Armies' was a great way to end the trilogy. As always, it's visuals and make up are stupendous matched with the emotional blend just right for our taste. There are some bland moments like impossible coincidences, overused dialogues and an annoying character but somehow it left us something that made us satisfied nonetheless. It may not be as good as it's previous installment but 'The Battle Of The Five Armies', I have to admit was entertaining to watch.

6.9./10 Meths

White Dog (1982)

A young woman hits a dog in the middle of the night. She takes it to the vet, and ultimately home with her. She soon finds out it's a "white dog", yep, a dog trained to kill black people. She then brings it to an animal trainer to try and have it reconditioned. The movie takes itself seriously, and while effective and somewhat disturbing, it's best trait is the unintentional humor.

Check out the Trailer

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Broken Flowers - 5/10

This movie just felt empty. Seems like it ended before it started. There's a lot of driving, walking, waiting, nothing really happening. Even the few things we know about the characters is repeated.. "I was in the computer business" as he explains to each of the women he hasn't seen in years. I think there's a director's commentary, but I don't know if it's worth it, as there are other films to watch..

Finished here. It's been fun.

The Ox-Bow Incident

A very powerful film about what happens when men try to take justice into their own hands. Well-shot, well-acted, and straight to the point with its' themes. It clocks in at under 80 minutes and that is the perfect length to tell this story. Henry Fonda as always gives a great performance.

A system of cells interlinked
Gone Girl

(Fincher, 2014)

My second viewing - fantastic neo-noir.

Fists in the Pocket (1965)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Gooble gobble, one of us!
Stolen Kisses - 1968, Francois Truffaut

The sequel to The 400 Blows, Antoine Doinel is now a little older and has become a detective, is he any good at it though? Somehow he always manages to make a mess out of everything, but it is so entertaining to watch it. I think I could watch Antoine Doinel do anything or nothing, and it would still be entertaining. I really liked this film. Truffaut is so good at showing ordinary things in entertaining ways.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?