The Joker Of 1989

Tools    

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Some more choices for 1989:

Willem DaFoe (of course)

Ray Liotta (at that time he would've been a young snazzy joker, along the lines of Leto's)

David Patrick Kelly (he was the guy who did the "Warriors... come out to playeeyay!" schtick in The Warriors - he had a long chin and just the right amount of psycho to be a great Joker).
Oh, yeah. Liotta regrets turning down the role of Batman.

Lol! Nick Nolte Joker would just be, gruff

I reckon Busey as Joker in the 1989 movie would have been a powerhouse performance.
Busey today isn't all there, he's gone proper doolally... but in 89 he was at least sane enough to do his insane thing.
It'd be like watching his more comedic elements in Under Siege: "Do I look like I need a psychological evaluation?"

(contains some swearing)

Some more mature Jokers (for 1989, and based entirely on past performances)...

Anthony Perkins

Malcolm McDowell

Bruce Dern
Interestingly, all these guys would have been in the same age range as Nicholson in '89...

Age in 1989

Perkins = 57
Dern = 53
Nicholson = 52
McDowell = 46

i think jack nicholson's the joker down right brilliant, with his witty lines, funny sarcastic lines, and how he portrayed the role was just great, i like jack nicholson myself, he was a great actor,by the way, i was thinking about watching Chinatown again.

I reckon Busey as Joker in the 1989 movie would have been a powerhouse performance.
Busey today isn't all there, he's gone proper doolally... but in 89 he was at least sane enough to do his insane thing.
It'd be like watching his more comedic elements in Under Siege: "Do I look like I need a psychological evaluation?"

(contains some swearing)
you remind me of how much i like gary busey as the bad guy, he is just a brilliant bad in any movie...

(contains some swearing)
in fact gary busey was a good guy in only one film, and that was 1991's pointbreak, and he was brilliant, shame he had to ***....

I got it.

Brad Dourif.
That'd be something akin to what Ledger did.
I just Googled Brad Dourif Joker... apparently Burton did ask him.
I only found out about that a few years ago but he would have been perfect wouldn't he? I think it's that the studio needed a bigger name, but obviously Bob Kane had mentioned Jack Nicholson years earlier as being a good option.

Totally agree with you Rodent about the Heath Ledger similarities. Dourif even had that thin, gangly shape and his hair was often long as well. And he can do a crazy laugh like nobody's business .

Or, how about this... Christopher Walken?
The thought's crossed my mind a few times over the years.

David Patrick Kelly (he was the guy who did the "Warriors... come out to playeeyay!" schtick in The Warriors - he had a long chin and just the right amount of psycho to be a great Joker).
Oh yeah, he was great in that.

Brad Dourif, Tim Curry, David Bowie, John Lithgow and James Woods were all considered for the Joker

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Brad Dourif, Tim Curry, David Bowie, John Lithgow and James Woods were all considered for the Joker
David Bowie was considered for everything .

James Woods I can see working, but it's Brad all the way for me.

When I read Dark Knight Returns and A Death in the Family I always pictured Jeremy Irons or Michael Caine would have been great Jokers
Irons I can picture – I was just thinking of him as the Über-Morlock in The Time Machine with that white skin.

Not in 1989 obviously but I've just thought of Peter O'Toole in the Sixties and he fits as well.

I need to start by saying that I thought Nicholson's performance in Batman was the Best Lead Actor Performance of 1989, but if I had to choose someone else, as a previous posters mentioned, I could have seen Robin Williams, Dustin Hoffman, or even Anthony Perkins in the role. Willem Dafoe might have been able to pull it off, even Nicolas Cage.

What about Joe Pesci? "Oh you think I'm funny? I make you laugh?"

Robin Williams. He was actually promised the part too. He later fell out with Warner Bros. due to them going back on the promise and as a result declined the role of The Riddler.

I need to start by saying that I thought Nicholson's performance in Batman was the Best Lead Actor Performance of 1989,
Yeah of course – he got top billing, much like Arnold Schwarzenegger in Batman & Robin.

This might just do nobody any good.
I’m still trying to picture what The Coens’ Batman would have been like. They turned it down in favor of Miller’s Crossing (which was the correct decision, no doubt), but it’s a fun “what if?”

I like to imagine it being a bit like the 60’s tv show. Bruce Campbell as Batman and Raul Julia with a mustache as a Cesar Romero Joker.