Which movies do you think excelled in all areas?

Tools    

Girl With A Pearl Earring was beautifully shot but the plot had little momentum. Very few movies manage to excel in all areas: acting, directing, photography, music, screenplay, costume, etc.

So, which films do you think manages them all?

Are we only talking about costume dramas, here? If not, what constitutes a good modern 'costume'? Would Chinatown count? How about Psycho?

Anyway, for costume/period dramas I'd how no problem with the following:
The Remains Of The Day
Seven Samurai
Howard's End
Sense & Sensibility (1995)
Hamlet (1996)
Once Upon A Time In America
Moulin Rouge! (2001)
Singin' In The Rain

I am soo biased on this one, guys!!! LOVED EVERY BIT OF THIS MOVIE!!!

Anarchist within reason
Unforgiven
Terminator 2: Judgment Day
The Dark Knight
If at his council I should turn aside, Into that ominous tract which all agree, Hides the Dark Tower. Yet aquiescingly I did turn as he pointed, neither pride nor hope at the end descried, so much as gladness that some end might be.

Robert Browning 'Childe Roland to The Dark Tower Came'

Are we only talking about costume dramas, here? If not, what constitutes a good modern 'costume'? Would Chinatown count? How about Psycho?

Anyway, for costume/period dramas I'd how no problem with the following:
The Remains Of The Day
Seven Samurai
Howard's End
Sense & Sensibility (1995)
Hamlet (1996)
Once Upon A Time In America
Moulin Rouge! (2001)
Singin' In The Rain
Not necessarily costume dramas. There are some films that for example may have good actors but a dodgy script, or a brilliant score but a dull plot. It's hard for a movie to succeed in every area that makes up a movie.

Not necessarily costume dramas. There are some films that for example may have good actors but a dodgy script, or a brilliant score but a dull plot. It's hard for a movie to succeed in every area that makes up a movie.
I understand that, but as you included costume I was wondering what qualified as good costume in something other than a costume/period drama?

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
I know it's probably a bit oversaid, but I definatly have to go with The Dark Knight. Great acting, writing, directing, awesome stunts, and a memorable score. Hell, even the marketing of that movie did some of the best work we've seen in decades.

The Last of the Mohicans

The Great Gatsby

The King and I

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Girl With A Pearl Earring was beautifully shot but the plot had little momentum. Very few movies manage to excel in all areas: acting, directing, photography, music, screenplay, costume, etc.

So, which films do you think manages them all?
Citzen Kane

Is that John Wayne's The Three Godfathers formated for the TV screen? Just joshing. I know what you mean.

I understand that, but as you included costume I was wondering what qualified as good costume in something other than a costume/period drama?
Appropriate to the character, I guess. Costumes that suit the character and actor perfectly. This could include iconic looks like the Alex's one made-up eye in A Clockwork Orange- or should that go under make-up, lol?