Quote of the Day

Tools    

The End Has Come
"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable."
-Christopher Reeve

"The Constitution of the United States, for instance, is a marvelous document for self-government by the Christian people. But the minute you turn the document into the hands of non-Christian people and atheistic people they can use it to destroy the very foundation of our society. And that's what's been happening." - Pat Robertson

Man, this guy is frightening. What's more frightening than his words is that millions of people look to him for leadership.

The End Has Come
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the 'Universe,' a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Albert Einstein

The People's Republic of Clogher
From well-known Race Relations advocate and occasional football manager, Ron 'The Full Gun' Atkinson:

'I think that was a moment of cool panic there.'

'Beckenbauer has really gambled all his eggs.'

'If Glenn Hoddle said one word to his team at half time, it was concentration and focus.'

'They must go for it now as they have nothing to lose but the match.'

'Woodcock would have scored, but his shot was too perfect.'

'Someone in the England team will have to grab the ball by the horns.'

'He's not only a good player, but he's spiteful in the nicest sense of the word.'

'Tony Adams - he's the rock that the team has grown from.'

'...and he [Peter Schmeichel] extends and grows even bigger than he is.'

'They've done the old-fashioned things well; they've kicked the ball, they've headed it...'

'They've picked their heads up off the ground, and they now have a lot to carry on their shoulders.'

'Well, either side could win it, or it could be a draw.'

'He sliced the ball when he had it on a plate.'

'I'm afraid they've left their legs at home.'

'The keeper was unsighted - he still didn't see it'

'You half fancied that to go in as it was rising and dipping at the same time.'

'Chelsea look like they've got a couple more gears left in the locker.'

The End Has Come
"As soon as man does not take his existence for granted, but beholds it as something unfathomably mysterious, thought begins."
-Albert Schweitzer

history *is* moralizing
Author - Aristotle

English - we are what we repeatedly do
Albanian - jemi ajo ç'ka bëjmë vazhdimisht
Aragones - semos o que femos de contino
Basque - behin eta berriz dagiguna gara
Bolognese - a sän quall ch'a sän aviè ed fèr
Brazilian Portuguese - nós somos aquilo que repetidamente fazemos
Bresciano - en s'è chel che fom semper
Breton - ar pezh a reomp c'hoazh hag adarre omp
Calabrese - simu 'cchiru ca facimu 'cchiù spissu
Catalan - som allò que fem repetidament
Cornish - yth on-ny an pyth a wren-ny menough hag arta
Croatian - ono smo što ponavljajuci cinimo
Danish - vi er hvad vi hele tiden gør
Dutch - we zijn dat, wat we bij herhaling doen
Estonian - me oleme see, mida me pidevalt teeme.
Finnish - olemme sitä mitä toistuvasti teemme
Flemish - wij zijn wat wij telkens weer doen
French - nous sommes ce que nous faisons de manière répétée
Furlan - 'o sin chel che 'o fasin cetantis voltis
Galician - somos o que facemos repetidamente
German - wir sind was wir regelmäßig tun
Griko Salentino - ìmesta cino pu kànnume tosse fforè
Hungarian - azok vagyunk, amit ismétlodo jelleggel cselekszünk
Italian - siamo ciò che facciamo ripetutamente
Judeo Spanish - somos lo ke azemos repetidamente
Ladin - nos son cie che i fajon demeztroi
Latin - sumus quod continenter agimus
Latvian - mês esam tas, ko mês pastavîgi darâm
Limburgian - ve zin wo ve oneenaon doên
Mapunzugun - iñ fij antü zewmapeel ta chem rume feygeyin ta inchiñ
Mudnés - a sàm qual c'a fàm dimàndi vòlti
Neapolitan - simmo chello ca facimmo appriesso appriesso
Papiamentu - nos ta loke nos ta hasi kontinuamente
Parmigiano - a semma col che semma avié a fär
Piemontese - i soma lòn ch'i foma vira di torna
Polish - jestesmy tym, co w swoim zyciu powtarzamy
Portuguese - somos aquilo que fazemos repetidamente
Romagnolo - a semm quel ch'a fasem tutt'e de
Sicilian - sému chiddu chi facému
C.U.N.Tinuamenti
(****** censorship, i'll keep repeating!!)
Spanish - somos lo que hacemos repetidamente
Swedish - vi är vad vi hela tiden upprepande gör
Umbro-Sabino - simo ello que facimo repetutamente
Venetian - semo quel che faxemo de continuo
Wallon - vs èstèz c'ki tofèr vos fèyèz
Welsh - yr ydym yr hyn a wnawn dro ar ôl tro
Zeneize - semmo quello che femmo un muggio de vòtte

guess it makes me a translator...

If the savage resists, civilization, with the Ten Commandments in one hand and the sword in the other, demands his immediate execution. ~ Andrew Johnson (17th President)

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

The End Has Come
"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness."
-The Dalai Lama

"Your report describes how rational these people are. Millennia ago, they abandoned their belief in the supernatural. Now you are asking me to sabotage that achievement, to send them back to the dark ages of superstition and ignorance and fear. No!" - Patrick Stewart, in Star Trek: The Next Generation episode: Who Watches the Watchers

"It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them."
-- Mark Twain

"There is nothing stupider then a racist who listens to metal music which was originally based on black blues. Unless it's a racist who listens to punk music which was based on black blues. White Country and pop music is by Jewish songwriters. Racists who listen to ska (punk and Jamaican) are relatively stupid as well. All types of dance music come from funk. 'Pure white music' would basically be bush dances and wouldn't that F.ucking go off. "

history *is* moralizing
Author - Eugene Joseph McCarthy

hei, Bush, Chirac and all the others, you know that well enough, don't you??

Albanian - për një kandidat është e rrezikshme të thotë gjëra që njerëzit mund t'i mbajnë mend
Aragones - para un candidato ye perigloso dizir cosas que ra chen poderba remerar
Basque - hautagai batentzat arriskutsua da jendeak gogoratu ahal izango lituzkeen gauzak esatea
Bolognese - pr un candidè l é priglåuS a dîr di quî che la Zänt i s prên tgnîr in amänt
Brazilian Portuguese - é perigoso para um candidato dizer coisas das quais as pessoas podem se lembrar
Bresciano - per en candidat l'è periculus dì di laur che i sa podes recurdà
Breton - risklus eo d'un den war ar renk e votadegoù ar prezidant lavaret traoù a c'hallfe an dud derc'hel soñj anezho
Catalan - per a un candidat és perillós dir coses que la gent podria recordar
Cornish - peryllys yw dhe ombrofyer kenethlek ober lavarow a yll pobel perthy cof anedha
Croatian - opasno je kandidatu na predsjednickim izborima izgovoriti što bi ljudi mogli upamtiti
Danish - det er farligt for en kandidat at sige ting, som folk eventuelt kan huske
Dutch - voor een verkiezings kandidaat is het niet zonder gevaar, dingen te zeggen die men zich zou kunnen herinneren
English - it is dangerous for a national candidate to say things that people might remember
Esperanto - estas dangera por nacia kandidato diri ion, kiun homoj povas memori
Estonian - valimistel kandideerides on riskantne öelda midagi sellist, mida inimesed hiljem mäletada võivad.
Finnish - vaaliehdokkaalle on vaarallista sanoa jotain, minkä ihmiset saattavat muistaa
Flemish - voor een landelijk politicus is het gevaarlijk om dingen te zeggen die men zich later zou kunnen herinneren
French - il est dangereux pour un candidat aux élections présidentielles de dire des choses dont les gens pourraient se souvenir
Furlan - par un canditât al è pericolôs dî robis a la int ca podares ricuardâ
Galician - para un candidato é ben perigoso dicir cousas das que a xente se podería lembrar
German - ein Kandidat, der etwas sagt, woran die Leute sich erinnern könnten, begibt sich in Gefahr
Griko Salentino - jài 'na kkandidào ene perikulòso na pì pràmata pu o jèno sozzi kratèsi stennù
Hungarian - egy országos jelölt számára veszélyes dolog olyasmit mondani, amire az emberek késobb emlékezhetnek
Italian - per un candidato è pericoloso dire cose che la gente potrebbe ricordare
Judeo Spanish - es sekanozo para un kandidato dizir kozas de las ke la djente podriya akodrarse
Ladin - per n candidat él periculous dí zeche che la jent podessa recordé.
Latin - candidato periculosum est dicere quae homines possunt recordari
Latvian - ir bîstami tautas kandidâtam teikt lietas, ko cilvêki varêtu atcerêties
Limburgian - vér eene wo opkimp mèt de kies ès 't priekel van zaokes te zègge wo minse zich laoter konne rappeliëre
Mapunzugun - kiñe candidato mew kuñiwüngey ñi chem rume ti pu che mülen antü tukulpatualu
Mudnés - per ùn candidè l'è pericolôs dîr di quê che pò la gèint la se ps'rèv arcurdêr
Neapolitan - pe nu candidato è periculuso rì cose c' 'a gente pò tené a mente
Papiamentu - ta peligroso pa un kandidato nashonal bisa kos ku hendenan por kòrda
Parmigiano - pär un candidé l'é pericolos dir dil cosi che pú tärdi la genta la podriss ricordär
Piemontese - a l'é pericolos për un candidat president dì quaicòs che ël mond a podrija arcordé
Polish - to niebezpieczne, gdy kandydat narodu mówi rzeczy, które ludzie moga zapamietac
Portuguese - para um candidato às eleições presidenciais, é perigoso dizer coisas de que as pessoas se poderiam lembrar
Romagnolo - ma un candidet l'è gnara ad di' al cosi ch'la zenta us courda
Sicilian - p’un candidatu è piriculusu diri cosi di cu’ ’a genti si po’ ricurdari
Spanish - para un candidato es peligroso decir cosas que la gente podría recordar
Swedish - det är riskfyllt för en kandidat att säga saker som folket kan komma ihåg
Umbro-Sabino - pe' 'n candidatu è piriculusu di' re cose que ra gente se putrìa arecordà
Venetian - par un candidato xe pericoloso dir còse che la zente podaria ricordar
Wallon - I gn’a todi do dandjî à dîre ène sakwè k’ lès djins porîne ni nén roviyî.
Welsh - mae'n beryglus i ymgeisydd cenedlaethol ddweud pethau y gallai pobl eu cofio
Zeneize - pe 'n candidòu l'é peigoso dî de còse che e gente porrieivan tegnîse à mente

"If a man, holding a belief which he was taught in childhood or persuaded of afterwards, keeps down and pushes away any doubts which arise about it in his mind, purposely avoids the reading of books and the company of men that call into question or discuss it, and regards as impious those questions which cannot easily be asked without disturbing it--the life of that man is one long sin against mankind." - W. K. Clifford

" The Word Impossible itself say that I m Possible"

The End Has Come
"The duty of youth is to challenge corruption."
-Kurt Cobain

"An eye for an eye is barbaric, but killing an innocent man is murder" - Jesse Jackson, speaking out on the Gary Graham execution

The End Has Come
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat"
-Theodore Roosevelt

"This was supposed to be my weekend off. But no, you got me out here dragging your heavy a$$ through the desert, with your dreadlocks sticking out the back of my parachute. You got to come down here with an attitude, acting all big and bad. And what the Hell is that smell?!" - Will Smith, in Independence Day

The End Has Come
"The bureaucracy that Nixon sought to use extralegally might be so used by a future president. Should, for example, the economic crisis continue to deteriorate or should a catastrophic war break out, a future president might be tempted by the readiness of a desperate nation to accept radical measures in order to solve its woes."
-Richard L. Rubenstein, The Cunning of History, 1975