Your MOFO Movie Doppelgänger

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Is there someone on here whose taste are (almost) the same as yours? There's about 15-20 members on here I can always rely on for a movie, but as for one or two, hmmmm?

Or even a person you prioritize; thinking to yourself, "If he/she gave it a 10/10, I'm watching it!"

Just an idea with all the statistics, but I'm sure there's an algorithm that could have been possible on IMDB based on ratings (or here if that picks up) for example, an automated "You might like ________"

Don't really have one, i disagree with everyone on a fair amount. But Cobpyth and Daniel M are two i seem to agree a good amount with and we are all around the same age and started taking cinema seriously around the same time so we are often at the same point.

Cricket, Citizen, Sean and Raul are probably the members i discuss movies with most since we've been in a lot of Hall of Fames together and i definitely match up with them on a fair amount but we also differ significantly on certain things.

Nobody, honestly.

There are people whose personal recommendations I take seriously though. If mark f or honeykid tell me that they think I'll like something I'll give that film a try because they're usually right. But our tastes are still quite different.

Nobody, honestly.

There are people whose personal recommendations I take seriously though. If mark f or honeykid tell me that they think I'll like something I'll give that film a try because they're usually right. But our tastes are still quite different.
Surprised you didn't say me. We always agree

Nope, no one person matches my taste (exactly how it should be) but I do give more credence to certain MoFo's opinions (both positive and negative) dependant on the type of fillum as I know at least we share some level of similarity.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
@Velvet wants to be as cool as me.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Most of my horror/extreme buddies don't care for a lot of the other stuff I watch, and most of the people who like the other stuff don't like horror/extreme. I'm thinking the members most identical to my taste are Captain Spaulding and The Samoan Lawyer.

I have and will continue to watch recommendations from everyone.

I'd say no way. Though it would be cool if it was so.

I tend to favour over to the /bleak and dark/psychological thriller side of films, but as you can see from my top 10, my favourites are very varied.

You know, you could test this by going to your profile, and clicking on your favourites one at a time and see if there are any members who repeatedly show up as "favourited" on the same movies as you.

Or even a person you prioritize; thinking to yourself, "If he/she gave it a 10/10, I'm watching it!"
I tend to do the opposite.

You know, you could test this by going to your profile, and clicking on your favourites one at a time and see if there are any members who repeatedly show up as "favourited" on the same movies as you.
That's only ten movies though and if you have a generic top ten it will match up with everyone. The only way to tell is getting to know other members and their tastes.

From a psychological standpoint - it's been shown that both commonality and opposites attract.
Basically we want enough in common with another that we can relate and enough opposites to provide a sense of variety. However, an overload in either direction can repel as we will either become bored with someone who is too much like us or become repulsed by someone who is too different (and depending in which areas these scales are tipped).

Humans are a strange dichotomy of needs & desires, we both desire what we know, what's safe, what's proven, what fits the plan, what's familiar, while conversely we desire excitement, adventure, surprises, spontaneity and variety (all those things that represent the opposite of our desire for the familiar).

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I've done that since the beginning, a great tool I constantly use -- one movie leading to another user, and their top 10, and someone else' mutual top 10, etc... There was someone on IMDB who copied the database (message boards, not sure of the ratings), but if there was a way to get ratings, or say years from now with the new "Movies" section, there might be a simple algorithm to best match based on what we grade high, low, and what we watch.

I walk alone in my movie watching endeavors, no MoFo doppelgangers. Though there are a few MoFos who opinions I greatly appreciate and respect...and most of them posted right here on this thread.