R.I.P. Leslie Nielsen

Tools    

I guess I figured I let the rest of you talk about Airplane and Naked Gun. That Magoo really bummed me out. I ripped into Eddie Fisher for being a bad person when he died (and discovered on other sites later I wasn't the only one who had a problem with him) and no one criticized me.
So you'll say that one sentence, and nothing else at all about his other films, his life, who he was as a person . . . Just one quick negative comment in the hopes that you'll find other people who also hated it?

I didn't say Nielsen was a bad person. But he had a real bad comic day when he made that one.
You didn't say he was a good person, either. That would be the point. One little sentence about how awful one character was that he played.

Originally Posted by planet news
Simply... Will's comment is something Nielsen most likely would have chuckled at. I think that could make it just as or even more sentimental than something less subversive.
If he would have taken the time to add more to it. Some little hint that he did like other films that he made, or other things about him. Then . . . maybe so.

Semper Fooey
It's a given he was a successful comic actor. He made a lot of them. I didn't say he was a good person, although I assume he was, because I know nothing about his private life. Unlike Fisher, who was better known for who he married and scandals he was part of than a career that was a flash in the pan, Neilsen had a long, successful career. It was his career that mattered, not what he did in his private life which remained private. I kiddingly mention the worse performance he ever gave and it's a big deal because it was the day he died?

I kiddingly mention the worse performance he ever gave and it's a big deal because it was the day he died?
In a non kidding way, in his R.I.P. thread? Yep, it's a big deal.

Moving on . . .

I love the man to pieces, obviously so. He makes me laugh in pretty much everything he's been in. I also love his serious roles. I won't name everything I have of his, because the list is way to long. I'm sure I still don't have everything I want, though.

I'm happy he lived a long life, and I hope he was truly happy, career and otherwise. Eighty four years, but I wish he was still here to do more.

R.I.P. Sweetie!

15,000 feet above you and falling fast...
RIP, Leslie. I've always been fond of him.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I love his horror turn in Creepshow too.

Later today is going to be a Naked Gun marathon.

Suspect's Reviews

R.I.P. Mr. Magoo
Careful -- watch where you're going. Don't walk into Hell when you're supposed to be going into Heaven.

Seriously, though, Leslie Nielson is GREAT, and I'm deeply saddened by his death, but I have to say I was expecting this for some time -- he's old, he was in his 80's.

In an interview of the making of Mel Brooks' Dracula: Dead & loving it, Mel Brooks mentions that Dracula is a devil & in order to play the devil you need an immortal actor..
He claimed Leslie Nielsen is immortal as he never seemed to age.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I am very saddened by this news, Leslie Nielsen is one of my favorite comedy actors. He has never failed to make me laugh, the way he could deliver lines was just genious

The Naked Gun Trilogy is comedy gold in my view and whatever I have seen him in its been awesome.

Frank: That's the red-light district. I wonder why Savage is hanging around down there.
Ed: Sex, Frank?
Frank: Uh, no, not right now, Ed. We've got work to do.

R.I.P Sir you will be missed.

I just realized two things.

1.) The last movie I watched him in was the stupid Stan Helsing movie, in which he also dressed in drag again.

Goodnight, ya old queen.

2.) This is another Golden Girls loss -- I forgot he played Lucas Hollingsworth, Blanche's uncle who marries Dorothy (Bea Arthur) in the two-part series finale.

God, all of the actors from that episode (except the eternally famous Betty White) are dead now! I guess that's what happens twenty years after a show about old people ends.

2.) This is another Golden Girls loss -- I forgot he played Lucas Hollingsworth, Blanche's uncle who marries Dorothy (Bea Arthur) in the two-part series finale.

God, all of the actors from that episode (except the eternally famous Betty White) are dead now! I guess that's what happens twenty years after a show about old people ends.
Good Lord, I forgot about that, too. I think you're the only other person I know on this board that watches that show. I love it. It's hilarious.

Good Lord, I forgot about that, too. I think you're the only other person I know on this board that watches that show. I love it. It's hilarious.
So many people who appeared on that show have died since 2008. Estelle Getty, Bea Arthur, Rue McClanahan, Leslie Nielsen, Harold Gould, Nan Martin... yet Betty White remains alive and has risen to a bigger position of celebrity star power than ever before. It's been a freaky, cursed show lately. Anyone doing celebrity death pools should just add Golden Girls actors that are still alive (at the moment) to their list.

He was great wasn't he. We used to watch Naked Gun and Airplane a lot when the kids were younger. I used to love his snow white hair. I want hair like that when I'm old , all white and no grey.

So many people who appeared on that show have died since 2008. Estelle Getty, Bea Arthur, Rue McClanahan, Leslie Nielsen, Harold Gould, Nan Martin... yet Betty White remains alive and has risen to a bigger position of celebrity star power than ever before. It's been a freaky, cursed show lately. Anyone doing celebrity death pools should just add Golden Girls actors that are still alive (at the moment) to their list.

Betty White will live forever, I am guessing she is a vampire!!

Gonna miss leslie Nielson, what a comedy great!!

I wasn't accusing you of not liking him, Will. I'm just saying it was a glib comment, and I don't get what it was trying to accomplish.

I kiddingly mention the worse performance he ever gave and it's a big deal because it was the day he died?
Well, firstly, it's not a "big deal" at all, unless the mere act of disagreeing and responding makes something a big deal. Secondly, it's not like you said it, and then he happened to die, and people retroactively blamed you. I think everyone kind of "gets" what these threads are: they're little memorials for the talented people who we've enjoyed. I really like them, apart from the events that make them necessary, of course.

Anyway, if it was just a joke of sorts, then I was mistaken about your intent. I guess it's not my kind of joke, but it's nice to know it wasn't intended as more, so thanks for that.

In this spirit, I saw a comment on another site that I thought was clever: "I picked the wrong week to stop reading obituaries."

Oh, and thanks to everyone for posting these great videos, too. I think I may go back and rewatch the first two (I saw most of the 33 1/3rd recently). And maybe go through the old Police Squad! episodes Holden was kind enough to send me some time ago.

They can stop making parody movies now. Leslie Nielson was the only thing that made any of them worth watching.

Here he is from his serious TV days in Disney's Swamp Fox.