Looking for good romcoms like Pretty Woman, A Good Year

Tools    

Hello all. This is my first post here. Happy to be apart of the community.

I love movies and was introduced to a great deal of incredible ones by my father. I'm looking for rom-coms about good people and real love. Pretty Woman, A Good Year, and 50 First Dates are movies that perfectly encapsulate my idea of love. I'm hoping to find some more like them. I'm not looking for chick-flicks or that sort of thing. I've loved all of Julia Roberts' Rom-coms.
I don't like a lot of the modern rom-coms because they don't seem to understand, in my opinion, what love is and they've moved towards this s*x filled, raunchy, madness. Which, don't get me wrong, I certainly enjoy and am currently in that stage of my life, enjoying the company of many beautiful girls, but these movies like Pretty Woman, A Good Year, etc. give me just enough hope, that there's people out there like me yearning for love, to carry on...

In the great words of Richard Bach "If you've ever felt alone in a world of strangers, missing someone you've never met, you'll find a message from your love in The Bridge Across Forever"
That sort of feel.

Anyhow, some other Romcoms that I've seen and really enjoyed:
Notting Hill
Sleepless in Seattle
Shallow Hal
Something About Mary
Bridget Jones Diary (Closest thing to a chick-flick I've liked)
When Harry Met Sally
The Wedding Singer
Runaway Bride
My Best Friend's Wedding

Look forward to your recommendations!

Trouble with a capital "T"
First off, Welcome! Glad to have you here
I can't think of any movie titles right now, but look at films with Reese Witherspoon and Sandra Bullock for starters. I know they did some romance movies.

First off, Welcome! Glad to have you here
I can't think of any movie titles right now, but look at films with Reese Witherspoon and Sandra Bullock for starters. I know they did some romance movies.
I'll give them a look! If you think of any titles to get me started on them, I'd appreciate it.

Hello and welcome! Here are some romantic comedies I would recommend:

Annie Hall
The Purple Rose of Cairo
The Goodbye Girl
Long Shot
Silver Linings Playbook
The Big Sick
Licorice Pizza
Serendipity
How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

Welcome!

Some romcoms that I think are sweet:
Age of Adeline
About Time
The Lost City
The Proposal
Moonstruck
Palm Springs
Before We Go
The Spectacular Now
Saving Face
Straight Up
A New Leaf
Take Me Home
Losing in Love

A little weird, but still sweet!
I'm a Cyborg, but That's Okay
Happy Accidents
Next Stop Wonderland

And if you're willing to watch period romances:
Pride and Prejudice
Sense and Sensibility
Far from the Madding Crowd
Emma (2020)

First, you'd have to clarify if you're looking for good romcoms or romcoms like Pretty Woman.

Hello and welcome! Here are some romantic comedies I would recommend:

Annie Hall
The Purple Rose of Cairo
The Goodbye Girl
Long Shot
Silver Linings Playbook
The Big Sick
Licorice Pizza
Serendipity
How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
Great, I've heard of a couple of those. I'll give them a watch. Thank you!

Welcome!

Some romcoms that I think are sweet:
Age of Adeline
About Time
The Lost City
The Proposal
Moonstruck
Palm Springs
Before We Go
The Spectacular Now
Saving Face
Straight Up
A New Leaf
Take Me Home
Losing in Love

A little weird, but still sweet!
I'm a Cyborg, but That's Okay
Happy Accidents
Next Stop Wonderland

And if you're willing to watch period romances:
Pride and Prejudice
Sense and Sensibility
Far from the Madding Crowd
Emma (2020)
Great list, thanks.

I always like "You've Got Mail" whenever I catch it on telly, the end part always gets me
I do like that one. It's a lot like sleepless in seattle.

First, you'd have to clarify if you're looking for good romcoms or romcoms like Pretty Woman.
Those are synonymous to me, as you'll see in my original post. I'd love to hear what your favorite romcom is though so I can watch and see what you're referring to.

I'd love to hear what your favorite romcom is
The Apartment (1960) though it's nothing like the two movies you listed in the title of this thread.

The Apartment (1960) though it's nothing like the two movies you listed in the title of this thread.
I'll give it a watch here in the next few days. Thanks.

The truth is in here
I hate the terms chick flick/guy flick, but Steel Magnolias is a genuinely heartwarming and exceptionally acted drama comedy. The romance isn't the absolute primary focus which means it doesn't fully fit into your criteria, but I'll take any opportunity recommending this film that I can.

Frankie and Johnny is one of my favorite romantic comedies, and the chemistry between Pacino and Pfeiffer is fantastic. A highly recommended gem.

If you don't mind some older stuff, The Shop Around The Corner has a lot of charm to it. That's the movie You've Got Mail is a remake of.

If you don't mind some older stuff, The Shop Around The Corner has a lot of charm to it. That's the movie You've Got Mail is a remake of.
I almost mentioned The Shop Around the Corner! I liked it a lot more than You've Got Mail.

The truth is in here
I'll check You've Got Mail out some day. I doubt it will be able to compare, but could still be cute on its own.

WARNING: spoilers below
I would've rated The Shop Around The Corner a 5 in fact if it wasn't for the ending feeling rushed and a little too convenient. I might've found the happy conclusion more satisfying if the shock and feeling of betrayal lasted a bit longer.

I'll check You've Got Mail out some day. I doubt it will be able to compare, but could still be cute on its own.

I would've rated The Shop Around The Corner a 5 in fact if it wasn't for the ending feeling rushed and a little too convenient. I might've found the happy conclusion more satisfying if the shock and feeling of betrayal lasted a bit longer.
The thing is, and I say this as someone who quite liked the movie, the betrayal is really pretty terrible if you take one little step back from it. Keeping it brief is for the best, I think.

Here's what I wrote in my review from a while back:
One part of the film that slid a little too far away from charming for me was the last stretch of Alfred knowing that he's Klara's lover, but not the other way around. It gives him an unreciprocated access to Klara's thoughts and emotions. For a while, this is an understandable move on his part. One of the things that I like about the film is the vulnerability it shows for both characters. We see how nervous Klara is to meet her beau, but we also see how concerned Alfred is that he won't live up to her image of him. But very late in the film, Alfred's actions start to feel more manipulative, and in one sequence he's just straight up messing with her. To me it fell into the territory of being not cute.

A few of my favorites that are routinely underrated or underseen...

Has a hard-to-believe concept at its heart (pun intended), but the characters and world created are so charming and funny and sweet that it doesn't matter at all. Stars David Duchovny as a recent widower whose wife's heart was transplanted into the ailing Minnie Driver. They meet months later with neither knowing the medical sacrifice that bonds them. Has a stellar supporting cast including director and co-writer Bonnie Hunt, Carroll O'Connor, David Alan Grier, Robert Loggia, and Jim Belushi. You'll wish you could become a regular at the restaurant at the center of most of the action.

Horrible title, wonderful movie. Steve Carrell stars as another widower, this one raising three girls ranging from sixteen to about ten. They attend their large family's annual gathering and he accidentally bumps into and instantly falls for a woman (Juliette Binoche) he does not realize is his brother's new girlfriend. What might have been a "Three's Company" level farce about mistaken identity and secrets is instead an insightful meditation on grief and loss and moving on, with plenty of genuine laughs and tears. Another terrific and big supporting cast including John Mahoney, Dianne Wiest, Alison Pill, Amy Ryan, Emily Blunt, and a shockingly not-completely-crappy turn by Dane Cook.

Black comedy premise that turns earnestly sweeter. Sam and Maggie (Matthew Broderick and Meg Ryan) meet while spying on their exes (Kelly Preston and Tchéky Karyo), who both recently dumped them for each other. Maggie is pissed and bent on dastardly revenge, including some elaborate pranks and cruelty meant to inflict pain and doubt and break up this new happy couple. Sam is more sad than angry and not a fan of the tactics, but goes along with the schemes hoping that his former love will come to her senses and return to him. Of course Sam and Maggie begin to develop feelings for each other, too. Directed by Griffin Dunne (After Hours, An American Werewolf in London).
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra