The MoFo Top 100 Neo-noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Gone Girl was #65 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s. Collateral was #55 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Victim of The Night
This is just my latest "I would have had this movie really high on my list" post, this time for Night Moves.
I agree with Holden that it is top-tier All-Time Neo-Noir and I would have probably had it in my Top 10. What a smart movie. I love the way he's always playing the same game of chess over and over as a metaphor for the entire film.

I haven't seen Gone Girl. But I did watch Collateral in the Personal Recommendation HoF III.

Collateral (2004)
I'm not big on action thriller Hollywood flicks, but it turns out it was kinda fun and it made for an interesting watch. I guess I liked it as it wasn't really serious or realistic, more like a movie you'd watch as you polish off a large pepperoni pizza with extra cheese and a quart of ice cold root beer. I mean who can take Tom Cruise as a hitman seriously, but he appeared to have fun with his role and seeing how I usually like Cruise the movie then worked out OK. I don't know if I've ever seen Jamie Foxx in anything but he didn't really seem to have a grip on his character. I get what the writers were doing with his character but as an actor he just didn't gel with the role. Well truth be told nobody stood out, but like I said it was sorta fun as I don't normally watch these kind of movies.

Two quality movies from quality directors. I don't really have interest in rewatching Gone Girl but I've been meaning to check out Collateral again to see how it holds up.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Gone Girl needs a revisit, seen it I believe opening weekend, not since.

Collateral I had at #20 but could have been much higher. Just a fun movie.

Is Gone Girl Neo Noir? I don't know. Maybe. Maybe not. What I do know is that it's a damn good movie and it qualified so I stuck it on my ballot at #15.

Here's what I wrote about it when I rewatched it for the 2010s Countdown:

Gone Girl (David Fincher, 2014)
(Rewatch)

I decided to follow a cautionary tale about not putting your dick in crazy with a cautionary tale about not putting your dick in crazy. I know I said that I'm not so much into that and I've also said that I don't like movies about shitty people doing shitty things to each other, but this is an exception to both statements.

So what, then, is the difference? Whereas Thirst Street's Gina was an awkward, anxiety ridden idiot, Gone Girl's Amy is smart, sophisticated, calculating, and - most importantly - interesting. And while she and Nick are both most definitely shitty people, hers is a satisfying kind of shittiness that her douchebag husband kind of deserves. Even if only kind of. Add to that David Fincher's gift at telling twisted tales and you've got one hell of an entertaining watch.

I've seen Collateral but it must not have made much of an impression because I don't really remember it.

My Ballot:
1. Who Framed Roger Rabbit (#35)
2. You Were Never Really Here (#50)
3. The Man From Nowhere (#87)
4. The Departed (#53)
5. The Big Lebowski (#38)
7. True Romance (#60)
12. Shutter Island (#86)
13. The Nice Guys (#39)
14. Inherent Vice (#41)
15. Gone Girl (#34)
16. Pulp Fiction (#37)
17. Killer Joe (#66)

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
I saw #34. Gone Girl (2014) for the awards season back in the days.
Thanks to this film, I've discovered Rosamund Pike, one of the most notable actresses of the new generation. I follow her work since then.
Didn't consider this movie for the ballot.

I thought Gone Girl was fantastic and it made my ballot at #20. I found Collateral to be just alright.

Seen: 55/68

My opinion as well. Gone Girl was extremely good, and was my #19. Collateral was good, but didn't come near the list.

1 for 2 today. Never bothered to watch Gone Girl or read Gillian Flynn's novel. Have no plans to.

Collateral is my #25. 8 of my picks accounted for.

45 of 68 seen.

Collateral is very good, but it didn't make my final ballot. The just okay finale, a.k.a. everything that happens after they get out of the car, kept it off my list. Like Red Eye, another movie that mostly takes place in a vehicle, it's not as good when we don't see the vehicle again.

My list so far:

3. Brick (2006)
8. Point Blank (1969)
9. Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)
11. Lost Highway (1997)
15. Oldboy (2003)
16. Basic Instinct (1992)
19. Gone Girl (2014)
20. A Simple Plan (1998)
24. Under the Silver Lake (2018)

Should've been on my list, but I overlooked them:

Manhunter
You Were Never Really Here

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... GONE GIRL

RT – 88%, IMDb – 8.1

Matt Zoller Seitz, from RogerEbert.com, said:

"Like a lot of Hitchcock [...] each scene in the movie refers, however obliquely, to real fears, real emotions and real configurations of love or friendship. But at the same time, not a single frame is meant to be taken literally, as a documentary-like account of how people are, or should be, or shouldn't be. It's working through primordial feelings in the manner of a blues song, a pulp thriller, a film noir, or a horror picture." (read full review here)
Drew, from If I Had an Orchard, said:

"Fincher makes Gone Girl slick and well-made enough for us to not realize its noir roots, but they’re there. In this “prestige pulp” picture, he and Flynn place familiar tropes in a different setting, add a twisted sense of humor and satire, and form a flawed, yet fantastic film noir. The themes present are dark yet handled with a light touch: the uncertainty of marriage and relationships, the facades we use in those relationships, and the way the sensationalist media reinforces those facades. It’s all very noir, indeed." (read full review here)
@MovieMeditation said:

"Gone Girl is a film you are guaranteed to want to disappear into, even if it may be far from your usual movie watching habits. The film has enough mystery and sharp turns to leave you tossing and turning in the cinema seat up to several times, and it is certainly also a movie that will make you think twice about entering into a marriage with the "woman of your life " – You have been warned…" (read full review here)

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... COLLATERAL

RT – 86%, IMDb – 7.5

Roger Ebert said:

"Mann is working in a genre with Collateral, as he was in Heat (1995), but he deepens genre through the kind of specific detail that would grace a straight drama [...] Mann allows dialogue into the kind of movie that many directors now approach as wall-to-wall action. Action gains a lot when it happens to convincing individuals, instead of to off-the-shelf action figures." (read full review here)
Sam Kench, from Studio Binder, said:

"This is a supremely stylish film. In Collateral, Michael Mann’s trademark visual flair is at its peak. The 'neon-noir' aesthetic that Mann first played around with in his debut feature, Thief from 1981, is refined to near-perfection in Collateral. The 'cool factor' is through the roof." (read full review here)
@Gideon58 said:

"Minor plot contrivances definitely did not deter my enjoyment of this thundering roller coaster of a ride that offered one surprise after another, particularly in the presentation of two central characters...the story never forgets that Vincent is a professional and that Max is an amateur, a line that films like this tend to cross sometimes and this one never does." (read full review here)

I didn't love Gone Girl as much as I hoped but I'm a fan.

I wasn't crazy about Collateral but I saw it at the drive-in and I was drinking and stuff.

AWARDS?

Gone Girl received a loooot of nominations and awards. These are some of the most notable:
  • Seven (7) Satellite Award nominations, including Best Motion Picture
  • Six (6) Critics Choice Award nominations, including a win for Best Adapted Screenplay (Flynn)
  • Four (4) Golden Globe Award nominations, including Best Director (David Fincher)
  • Two (2) Saturn Awards, including Best Thriller
  • Two (2) BAFTA Film Award nominations, including Best Adapted Screenplay (Gillian Flynn)
  • One (1) Academy Award nomination for Best Actress (Rosamund Pike)