Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Idiot (1951)

-

I didn't know anything about this movie, and only picked it out because it's directed by Akira Kurosawa, and stars Toshiro Mifune.

This is a very difficult movie for me to judge. Like The Magnificent Ambersons, this movie was dramatically cut against it's director's wishes. It is still 2 hours and 45 minutes long, but there were 100 minutes that were taken out and lost. I had a hard time following what was going on. Some of that could be due to the cut, but more than likely part of it was just me having a tough time. When characters that were offscreen were being talked about, it was difficult for me to understand who was who.

So I knew Toshiro Mifune was in this, but then I really got excited when the smiling chick from all those Ozu films appeared. I had never seen her in anything else before. Wow, what an actress and screen presence, she had me spellbound. Now I kind of feel like she was limiting herself by being in so many Ozu films, and in a way, playing the same character. Then the dude from Ikiru showed up and I was even more excited. As great as these three were, they were only a small part of a large cast that was phenomenal.

With it's length and my difficulty following the narrative, I don't think I fully appreciated this movie as a whole. It's more a case of me seeing it's strengths in individual segments. I think it's a movie of astounding beauty and power, from the innocence of the title character, to the different character's relationships and interactions, to the superb visuals and musical score. I think this movie was close to being a special masterpiece.

The Hound of the Baskervilles (1959) Starring Peter Cushing, Andre Morell and Christopher Lee. 4/5

Films and films
Thesis by Alejandro Amenábar.

7/10. a movie with good twists

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right

My favourite thing ever.

I didn't know anything about this movie, and only picked it out because it's directed by Akira Kurosawa, and stars Toshiro Mifune.
Well, essentially, it's based on a book by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, but since you knew who the director and one of the actors were, you indeed knew something about it! I know, I'm nit-picking.
Like The Magnificent Ambersons, this movie was dramatically cut against it's director's wishes. It is still 2 hours and 45 minutes long, but there were 100 minutes that were taken out and lost.
Yeah, it's always a terrible thing when censors destroy director's vision. Same happened to numerous von Stroheim films, but I believe The Greed was the one that was butchered the most. Originally, the movie was 8 hours long, but the producers massacred it to 2.5h. It is said that von Stroheim cried when he found out. I don't know, if Kurosawa reacted as emotionally, but he probably wasn't too happy about it neither. Anyway, In 2003 Russians made a 9 hour long mini-series very faithful to the book.
I had a hard time following what was going on. Some of that could be due to the cut, but more than likely part of it was just me having a tough time. When characters that were offscreen were being talked about, it was difficult for me to understand who was who.
I can't remember the movie being hard to follow.
Now I kind of feel like she was limiting herself by being in so many Ozu films, and in a way, playing the same character.
That's a very popular misconception. Hara is said to have appeared in more than 100 films (maybe not as many as all-Japan champion Hideko Takamine said to appear in at least 200 films, but still impressive) from 1925 (although her breakthrough migh've been either Priest of Darkness in 1926, or a German-Japanese co-production The Daughter of the Samurai one year later [she even visited Berlin and had a photo taken with Goebbels himself]) to 1962 (she starred with Mifune and Shimura in a chambara epic Chushingura). Then she gave up acting completely. What's more striking is that the period of time she wasn't an actress was much longer than the period of time she was one. There's a lot of interesting trivia about her that shatters the image of perpetual virgin so often assigned to her (although she never married, that's true):
Tatsuya Nakdai recalls the nervous tension around the studio during the shooting of kissing scene in “Daughters, Wives and Mother (1960)”, while Kyoko Kagawa tells us the story behind the set of “Tokyo Story”. Setsuko Hara surprised them with her frank personality, quite different persona from the screen. She loved beer, little gambling, countered young Ryo Ikebe’s off-color joke (”You have a big butt like a stone mill”) by kicking him.
Early Summer

Yes, there was a kissing scene in that film. Two of my favourite actors (favourite male and female actor) kissed on screen. Now imagine that! Daughters, Wives and Mother is just a special movie. Maybe I will write more about it some time. It even has an aerobic-nanny Chishu Ryu appearing in two scenes (including the last one, which is the best thing ever)! The movie only needed Toshiro Mifune to be the best the-most-stars-in-one-movie film in history.
Sadly, a lot of Hara's films are very, very, very hard (if not impossible to get). I heard about a propaganda movie, in which she played a Chinese girl with a terrible Chinese faux-accent and about many more. There are some photos that shed new light on her (I know I'm exagerrating, but it sounds cool), in case somebody's interested:

The Daughter of the Samurai (1937)

Premiere of the film ‘The daughter of the Samurai’ Ruth Eweler, Joseph Goebbels, Setsuko Hara, and Japanese ambassador Mushanokoji Kintomo.

Toshiro Mifune and Setsuko Hara for ‘Tokyo Lover’, 1952

Don't know the movie title, but sure looks interesting!

Then the dude from Ikiru showed up and I was even more excited. As great as these three were, they were only a small part of a large cast that was phenomenal.
You forgot to mention Masayuki Mori, whose performance, in my opinion, overshadowed Mifune. He's yet another veteran of Japanese cinema, already familiarized with Setsuko Hara since 1947, when they both starred in Ball at the Anjo House. He had roles in films of Kurosawa, in Mizoguchi's Ugetsu as well as a fair number of Mikio Naruse flicks (co-starring with Takamine and, again, Hara). However, although always good, he never appeared as good as in The Idiot.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Big budget Hollywood drivel. That's just what Brad Pitt needed, a movie in which he keeps getting younger and prettier.

Welcome to the human race...
And a little Leo goes a longer way.

But Lubezki indeed. Revenge is a dish best served beautifully...
Stuff like To the Wonder makes me think that he only goes so far, too - plus, this editorial has made me question whether or not his craft, for all its technical skill and ambition, is necessarily effective for the film in question. But anyway...

10 Cloverfield Lane -

Thane of Glamis, Thane of Cawdor, & King Hereafter
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial - 10/10
Close Encounters of the Third Kind - 10/10

Both films were directed by Steven Spielberg, had their music composed by John Williams, and dealt with the topic of aliens. Both were also extraordinary in every aspect!

With E.T., I'm not surprised with its Oscar wins in Original Score, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, and VFX - it was all beautifully done! Everyone also did wonderful acting (even the kids did, which is honestly rare anymore), the story was fantastic and filled me with childlike wonder (as it had when I last saw it years ago), and the dialogue was terrific (and a bit funny at times)! Love this movie!

I think Close Encounters may be a bit underrated, but I would say that's understandably so as it was released the same year as Star Wars. Even so, I'd call it a great enough film to say that I'm shocked it wasn't nominated for BP! It also most certainly deserved its Cinematography Oscar - some of the best I've seen in all of the movies I've ever watched! And like E.T., fantastic acting, story, and dialogue!

Genre: Horror
Cast: Partrick Wilson and Rose Byrnes

So i found this when flicking through Netflix again.I was pleasantly surprised when I saw who the two main actors where as i didnt read about it first and they werent on the cover. I really like Rose Byrnes and Ive always had a thing for Patrick Wilson.
As for the movie-I thought the first half was really decent! It has that haunted house feel and sets a really good atmosphere-it has some obivous horror movies mistakes
WARNING: spoilers below
like when the door rings,no ones there and you lock it,then your wife screams cos theres someone in your babies room and when you go back down the door is open with the lock broken-THATS WHEN YOU CALL THE POLICE

The second part of the movie they bring in ghosthunters ...it was still entertaining just not my cup of tea-i prefer the suspense part of horror movies. For those who liked the conjouring with Patrick will prob enjoy this too though i preferred the conjouring.Im still going to watch Insidious 2-3 though

I

Genre: drama,musical
Cast: Gerard Butler,Emmy Rossum,Patrick Wilson & Minnie Driver

Musicals are a bit of a hit or miss for me.and this one was a miss.I love the look of it,the staging and the grandness-but thats about it.Even for a musical it was way too much song for me-in the wrong places and on top of that the music used just wasnt for me,though i did like some of it.It had a quirkiness to it that i liked in,say,moulin rouge but just didnt appeal to be here. I wish they had gone full out drama/thriller with performances insted.

I have to return some videotapes...
Ghostbusters (2016) -

Funny movie, but in no way has any heart and falls off completely in the last half.

I have to return some videotapes...
Spellbound (1945) -

A little generic, but good performances and some interesting story concepts keep it fresh.