Music Recommendations, anyone?

Tools    

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Since most album/band recommendations from fellow MoFos seem to always give me new favourites, can I get some new recommendations for some albums or bands that mind fit into my current tastes? My genres of choice at the moment are progressive rock, metal and classic rock, and I'm starting to get into some hip hop/rap (though I haven't ventured far from Public Enemy and N.WA).

My favourite bands/artists currently include Def Leppard, early Genesis (mostly Gabriel era), Talking Heads, The Doors, first-four-albums-Metallica, Iron Maiden, David Bowie, Van Halen, The Cure, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd, The Smiths, Warren Zevon, The Alan Parsons Project, INXS, Hall And Oates and Public Enemy.

I look forward to your recommendations!

The only one of those bands I've never heard anything of is Emerson, Lake & Palmer, so I'll definitely have to get onto them.

I have a bit of Sabbath and Zeppelin in my iTunes library and I listen to them regularly, but I have minimal Lynyrd Skynyrd and Deep Purple, and I have seen glowing praise for a few of their albums, so I'll have to get my hands of some of their stuff as well. Which albums would you recommend by them?

Since you're a fan of Warren Zevon, I'd suggest checking out my two biggest favorites: Tom Petty and Lindsey Buckingham.

Of the two, Petty is probably more similar to Warren Zevon but both are excellent and both have collaborated with Zevon on some of his work. You can find a lot of their work on youtube. An obvious place to start with Petty is his Greatest Hits album, but if you're looking for actual albums, I suggest Damn the Torpedoes (1979), Southern Accents (1985, my favorite), Full Moon Fever (1989), Wildflowers (1994) and Mojo (2010).

Lindsey Buckingham is most famous for his work as Fleetwood Mac's guitarist, but has done a lot of great solo stuff too. If you want to listen to the band's work, their most famous record is 1977's Rumours. However his best work with the band is 1979's Tusk and the 1997 live reunion album The Dance. For his solo work, the fan and critical favorite seems to be 1992's Out of the Cradle, but my favorite is probably the more experimental Go Insane from 1984. The rest of his studio solo albums, Law and Order (1981), Under the Skin (2006), Gift of Screws (2008) and Seeds We Sow (2011) are all excellent as well. He's also made appearances on many movie soundtracks, including National Lampoon's Vacation, Back to the Future, Just One of the Guys, With Honors, Twister, Elizabethtown and This is 40. His pre-Fleetwood Mac album Buckingham Nicks (as a duo with Stevie Nicks) is also highly recommended.

Gotthard (from Switzerland).. they have a classic rock sound (80's rock)

new singer

old singer

I have a wide range of music taste... let me know what you think or if you want something harder or softer.....

Tom Petty I've virtually heard nothing of, aside from Tom Cruise singing over him in Jerry Maguire, and I only really know Buckingham from Fleetwood Mac, which is a band I also really like. Rumours is of course a great album.

I'll give both a go.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Here's two of my fave albums. The first one has the whole thing; the second one has various songs from TSoOL, but my fave album of theirs is "Behind the Music", the cover of which is shown below. Hope you like them.

but I have minimal Lynyrd Skynyrd and Deep Purple, and I have seen glowing praise for a few of their albums, so I'll have to get my hands of some of their stuff as well. Which albums would you recommend by them?
With Skynyrd I'd start with a greatest hits, especially if you're not one of country influenced rock, like myself. I'm not a big fan of theirs, but I grew up listening to Gimme Back My Bullets album, as that was the one my mum had.

Deep Purple I'd say 70-74. The 'classic' line up with Gillian and Blackmore.

You might like ELO, too.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Start with King Crimson.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I'm starting to get into some hip hop/rap (though I haven't ventured far from Public Enemy and N.WA).
Then you're going to want the Sgt Pepper's of Hip Hop:

And probably this:

Among my favorite more traditional sounding heavy metal albums that are not that well known among the general public (of course, true metal heads have already listened to all these albums):

Virgin Steele - The House of Atreus

Black Sabbath - Tyr

Black Sabbath - Dehumanizer

Tierra Santa - Indomable

Accept - Russian Roulette

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
If you are into prog, then you Tool's "Undertow" and "Aenema" are likely to appeal to you. Their rhythm sections is one of the best ever.

For some hip-hop, try any of the first generation Wu-Tang. Ghostface's "Ironman", Dirty's "Return to the 36 Chambers", and Genius/Gza's "Liquid Swords" might be the best of any Wu albums.

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
Hmmm,I guess you already listened most of N.W.A. songs?If so I'll recommend some songs performed by at least 2 guys from NWA.Here we go,I hope you find something to enjoy.

NWA - Hello

NWA ft Snoop Dogg - Chin Check

Dr.Dre ft Ice Cube - Natural Born Killaz

That is as much of NWA as you can get after they went separate ways.If you like NWA there is a big chance you will enjoy listening Ice Cube because he wrote most of their lyrics.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I still want this album. [Happy the Man - Crafty Hands]
Wow - It was out-of-print for years, but I didn't realize it was so rare these days. I'm looking at my vinyl, which is over 35 years old, and I've got a CD too. Amazon says they only have one CD for too much, but they connect you to some other sellers who have it more reasonably.

All songs from Linkin Park , Avenged Sevenfold , Disturbed and Skillet are awesome !

Favorite Song from Linkin Park :

Favorite Song From Avenged Sevenfold :

Favorite Song From Disturbed (The song start at 1:00) :

Favorite Song From Skillet :

These Bands are unbelievable !

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
My favorites have been mentioned already or are very well-known. I'll go with the most underrated band (in my opinion) - Supertramp, especially the non-radio stuff.

They never made headlines for trashing hotels, didn't have drug problems, never got arrested, very drama-free, and were overlooked. How they haven't made the Rock and Roll HOF is a travesty, especially considering most who do have nothing to do with R&R

Here's a song you won't hear on the radio -