The Movieforums Top 100 War Movies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

52. Gone with the Wind (1939, Victor Fleming)

51. The Human Condition II: Road to Eternity (1959, Masaki Kobayashi)

50. Barry Lyndon (1975, Stanley Kubrick)

49. The Guns of Navarone (1961, J. Lee Thompson)
48. Night and Fog (1956, Alain Resnais)

47. Dunkirk (2017, Christopher Nolan)

46. The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943, Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger)

45. Waltz with Bashir (2007, Ari Folman)
44. Grand Illusion (1937, Jean Renoir)

43. Underground (1995, Emir Kusturica)
42. The Last of the Mohicans (1992, Michael Mann)

41. To Be or Not to Be (1942, Ernst Lubitsch)

40. Empire of the Sun (1987, Steven Spielberg)
39. MASH (1970, Robert Altman)

38. Glory (1989, Edward Zwick)
37. Rome, Open City (1945, Roberto Rossellini)
36. The Longest Day (1962, Andrew Marton)
35. Stalag 17 (1953, Billy Wilder)

34: The Human Condition, Part III: A Soldier's Prayer (1961, Masaki Kobayashi)
33: The Ascent (1977, Larisa Shepitko)

Seen 23/68

Army Of Shadows was my 14. It’s plot heavy, so I forget the story arc. That’s also cool though because both times I have watched it it has felt so fresh for me. Everything Melville looks pretty great, but this is probably his best in that regard, even though Le Cercle is still my favorite of his. This is one of his three that I could just watch all the time. Glad it made it this high. Excellent film.

From Here To Eternity is a “oh yeah I saw that, it’s fine”, kind of movies for me.

I saw From Here To Eternity once, didn't care for it. Maybe it was me, maybe it's the 50's? Maybe it's Frank (can't stand him) maybe I just don't like it? I don't know, but it didn't interest me and I have no inclination to try again. Maybe I'll happen upon it one day and try? Also, whenever I hear the title, I think this, which is in it favour, but I'm more likely to go and listen to it than watch the film.

Not seen Army Of Soldiers.

Actor Stats

Burt Lancaster = 3
Donald Sutherland = 3
Vyacheslav Tikhonov = 3
Ludmila Savelyeva = 3
Sergey Bondarchuk = 3
Yūsuke Kawazu = 3

Deborah Kerr = 2
Ernest Borgnine = 2
Lee Marvin = 2
Montgomery Clift = 2
Tatsuya Nakadai = 2
Michiyo Aratama = 2
Roger Livesey = 2
James D'Arcy = 2
Ben Stiller = 2
John Malkovich = 2
David Niven = 2
Tom Hardy = 2
Gregory Peck = 2
Jason Robards = 2
Shōji Yasui = 2
Nick Nolte = 2
Orlando Bloom = 2

The Longest Day is another great WW2 film with a huge cast. They really knew how to do it back in the sixties. Can't go wrong with Billy Wilder and William Holden. Er maybe you can: Sabrina. But Stalag 17 is excellent and probably would have made the back end of my top 50.

As I said when part 2 was posted, The Human Condition is a masterpiece but I only voted for part 1 which I'm sure we'll see soon. Only six lists huh it must have been near the top of each. Another brilliant film is The Ascent. it didn't make my list but was in contention and would be in a top 50. Shepitko was a great filmmaker that passed too soon.

The Dirty Dozen is another one of those kick ass WW2 pictures from the sixties with a big cast. It's good not great but great for a Sunday afternoon you know. I was impressed enough with the style and visuals of 1917 but like others say sometimes a story gets a bit too contrived and loses a bit of its power with me. Still definitely a thumbs up.

It's been so long since I watched From Here to Eternity. I remember liking it but can't really say how much I liked it. Army of Shadows made my list at #15 so I can certainly say that I like it and how much: a lot. it's such a well-crafted, tense and meditative film. Pure Melville. I feel like this was his and only his film to make.

9. Shoah (1985)
10. The General (1926)
15. Army of Shadows (1969)
18. Waltz with Bashir (2007)
19. Rome, Open City (1945)
21. Letters from Iwo Jima (2006)
23. Three Kings (1999)
24. Underground (1995)
25. La Commune (Paris, 1871) (2003)
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

#28 #28
152 points, 12 lists
Patton
Director

Franklin J. Schaffner, 1970

Starring

George C. Scott, Stephen Young, Frank Latimore, Karl Michael Vogler

#27 #27
170 points, 9 lists
The Human Condition I: No Greater Love
Director

Masaki Kobayashi, 1959

Starring

Tatsuya Nakadai, Michiyo Aratama, Chikage Awashima, Ineko Arima

HINTS BREAKDOWN

28: Same dog that Patton had in the movie at the end.

27: I chose a clip of a romantic story, but the hint is in how it's only just a fantasy, and reality isn't that easy.

Plus I really love that clip, and it took everything not to post the fancy tuna clip from that same episode.

Dadgumblah got Patton, so one point.

Two very good films I didn't vote for.

The greatness of Patton obviously lies in its exploration of the controversies and accomplishments of its titular character. He's an interesting character to watch, especially since the film doesn't paint him as good or bad. It just chronicles his behavior and allows you to come to your own conclusions on how you feel about him.

The Human Condition I is very good and I'd rank it in the middle of the three films. I already posted about my opinion on the films upthread though, so I don't feel like restating them. In short, glad the entire trilogy was voted onto this list.

Point totals are starting to increase quite a bit.

Patton is pretty good from what I remember, wiser me would most definitely get more out of it.

I mentioned earlier in the thread I haven't seen THC so I won't bring up that conversation again due to time constraints.

For having a "films seen" ratio that is poo, my list looks good.

Go figure...

Seen: 31 / 73
Never heard of: 18 / 73
1-ptrs seen: 7

My ballot:  

Liked but didn't vote for this:
Patton (1970)

Is there any other image so striking from Patton than the above screenshot?... George C. Scott is all kinds of great in this movie about the American WWII loose cannon, General George S. Patton.

Patton (the movie) shows us Patton the man as an enigma. He was brilliant as a military strategist and might have ended WWII earlier, if it wasn't for political interference from the Brits who wanted General Montgomery aka 'Monty' to have the high profile assignments. Patton's methodology was to hit hard and move fast. I guess we'll never know.

Patton believed he was reincarnated from past great warriors of ancient times, which isn't so bad, heck maybe he had lived as a sandal wearing solider in ancient Carthage. But he also was a blatant racist and hated the Jewish people (among others) and loathed the survivors of the concentration camps that he helped liberate. Reportedly he gave preferential treatment to capture SS Nazis and seemed to subscribe to racial superiority ideas.

As racist as he was, I don't judge a movie by what someone did or didn't do. It was a good movie. Scott was excellent as the ultra colorful Patton, warts and all.

Reply to Topic