Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

There Will Be Blood (2007) -

There was some blood

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Still my favorite of the 2010s so far. Isaac deserved, at least, a nomination.

I loved it too. Oscar is brilliantly charismatic.

Welcome to the human race...
20th Century Women -

At this point, I'm just waiting for Greta Gerwig to get stunt-cast as a landlady.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Enemy

(Denis Villeneuve)

There are a few instances when you watch a film, then the credits roll and you sit back and wonder what the hell just happened. Enemy, upon first glance would indicate this, but in reality, it's pretty straight forward. Gyllenhaal, who plays a college professor rents a movie based on a recommendation from a colleague. While watching it he spots a man, who looks exactly like him. He looks him up online and rents two more of his films. He believes he's found his doppelganger and becomes obsessed with finding out who he is and why such a thing exists. Based on José Saramago's The Double.

In this Kafka-esque psychological thriller, Villeneuve plays with the audience and expectation. The film unravels at a relatively slow pace, purposely mind you and engages the viewer to ask questions about the images depicted on the screen. Villeneuve doesn't give answers, he throws jigsaw puzzle pieces at the screen and asks the viewer to put them together. The question of "are there really two of them?" creeps into the back of your mind as you watch this dream like story unfold. Maybe they are two sides to one subconscious? Giant spiders make you question the sanity of characters and blurs the line of what we are to believe.

Enemy is reminiscent of David Lynch, in tone, pacing, ambiguous imagery and dark characters. Gyllenhaal has made a name for himself as a serious actor, no longer the pretty boy for disaster flicks (Day After Tomorrow) or generic rom-coms (Love and Other Drugs) he's finding a niche that suits him perfectly (Enemy, Nightcrawler, Prisoners, Nocturnal Animals) and I look forward to more chances to go down the rabbit hole with him.

Suspect's Reviews

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Thief - 8.5/10

James Caan in one of the best performances. The titular hero is the thief, but he does have a "code"... A movie I could watch many times.

I put this on again.. I wanted to watch one scene, but forgot, and was too tired to get up.. but... this time, I read the entire note (from Willie Nelson) and he tells Frank (Caan) that he's proud Frank is collecting his debt FROM society... He grew up in state institutions, state prisons, had it wrong from the start to no fault of his own... Some call it anti-left, anti-right, but he's his own man.

The Pianist (Second Watch) ⭐⭐⭐⭐ out of ⭐⭐⭐⭐
The Crying Game ⭐⭐⭐ out of ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Enemy
(Denis Villeneuve)
There are a few instances when you watch a film, then the credits roll and you sit back and wonder what the hell just happened. Enemy, upon first glance would indicate this, but in reality, it's pretty straight forward. Gyllenhaal, who plays a college professor rents a movie based on a recommendation from a colleague. While watching it he spots a man, who looks exactly like him. He looks him up online and rents two more of his films. He believes he's found his doppelganger and becomes obsessed with finding out who he is and why such a thing exists. Based on José Saramago's The Double.

In this Kafka-esque psychological thriller, Villeneuve plays with the audience and expectation. The film unravels at a relatively slow pace, purposely mind you and engages the viewer to ask questions about the images depicted on the screen. Villeneuve doesn't give answers, he throws jigsaw puzzle pieces at the screen and asks the viewer to put them together. The question of "are there really two of them?" creeps into the back of your mind as you watch this dream like story unfold. Maybe they are two sides to one subconscious? Giant spiders make you question the sanity of characters and blurs the line of what we are to believe.

Enemy is reminiscent of David Lynch, in tone, pacing, ambiguous imagery and dark characters. Gyllenhaal has made a name for himself as a serious actor, no longer the pretty boy for disaster flicks (Day After Tomorrow) or generic rom-coms (Love and Other Drugs) he's finding a niche that suits him perfectly (Enemy, Nightcrawler, Prisoners, Nocturnal Animals) and I look forward to more chances to go down the rabbit hole with him.
You make some good points, and Gyllenhaal is really coming into his own. But in my view the film is a mediocre story masquerading as art.

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=49540

When you're hip you don't have to explain anything. This was a good case of the end justifying the means. And the end WAS a total surprise. That sound effect should be given a special award...

~Doc

And Soon the Darkness (1970, Robert Fuest)
-

Deliberately obfuscated by the painfully alogical behavior of one of the central characters, all for the sake of a lead-up to a completely botched twist ending that I saw coming a mile away. Not good.
But, shaky though it was during some parts, it still had some suspenseful moments, and the cinematography was pretty good.
WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
Check out that panning shot near the end when the first drops of rain start falling - nicely done.

My Brother Jonathan (1948) - Lovely romantic drama with a social conscience

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

Don't know if any of you has seen this.

I saw this last night, such a good film.
I've seen it. I was suprised, cause I didn't expect such a good movie

Murder In The Blue Room (1944) - Fairly entertaining comic & musical murder mystery 'b-movie'