10.71%
3 votes
Juno
42.86%
12 votes
There Will Be Blood
28 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The People's Republic of Clogher
And so, dearest Mofos, we plod on through summer like a cloud salesman in Manchester, not knowing quite where to turn in search of our next bit of excitement...

That next bit is now here!

The usual stuff applies - vote not only for the movie that you would most like to discuss but one that you can lay your hands on. All of the choices are already out (or, in the case of one, will be out when the discussion starts) in the US and the UK. MoFos from other nations might need to be a little selective, but remember, the discussion thread is only a quick search away if you want to join in on an older discussion.

The poll will be up for a week then we'll have a week to find and watch whatever wins. If you've already seen it then great but you might want to familiarise yourself with it once again.

Lastly, it's the summer lull so don't shoot the messenger (unless it's a gun that fires cash or supermodels).

Film 1: The Bank Job (2008, Roger Donaldson)

Based-on-a-true-story Heist tale starring The Tesco Bruc...ermmm...Jason Statham. Think Ocean's Eleven with added baldness!

Film 2: Be Kind, Rewind (2008, Michel Gondry)

Even though this stars Jack Black it's a Gondry film so can't be terrible, can it? A magnetized man's blundering prompts a video store owner to remake his entire stock. An advert for DVDs if ever there was one.

Film 3: In Bruges (2008, Martin McDonagh)

Ireland's newest respected director (eh, Powdered Water? EH? ) makes his full-length debut after an Oscar-winning debut short in this tale of two hitmen (heart throb Brendan Gleeson and popular character actor Colin Farrell) on the lam in the Belgian town...

***Blockbuster are giving In Bruges as having a release date of August 11th for the UK, which should be fine if it wins because we're not gonna be talking about anything for 2 weeks from today. It's already out here and The States, though***

Film 4: Juno (2007, Jason Reitman)

It's a slow time of the year, right? Juno slipped through the net in recent Movie Club polls but I think that its teenage pregnancy-themed beguilements are worthy of a place here.

Film 5: There Will Be Blood (2007, Paul Thomas Anderson)

Der der DERRRRRR! (that's supposed to be ominous music, folks )

PT Anderson's lauded American fable makes it into our five by the weight of its reputation alone. Industry, religion, family - it's all here, a bit like a feature length episode of Knott's Landing.

Only better.

And with religion.

Remember to vote. Your MoFo needs you!

Gah, i'm torn between Be Kind, Rewind and There Will Be Blood- only two i have conflicting opinions on. Might swing for TWBB as it's only one i have on DVD..... decisions, decisions!

Albert Einstein here has mucked up the poll - I forgot to set a closing date. If it can't be fixed by the Hand of Mod I'll collate the results myself in 7 days and go with the winner - anything cast afterwards won't count.

Tatty you know which one I voted for I think, but I almost put down The Bank Job because I know you just can't get enough of little Jason. Great picks though, the only one I haven't seen is Be Kind Rewind.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
I picked In Bruges

I am burdened with glorious purpose
In Bruges

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!! *gets on knees and begs*

I love this movie and I have more time in August to talk about things here....

*shameless plug for you all to vote for this movie*

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I've seen the last three, but voted for Bruges anyway.

Suspect's Reviews

Only trouble I see with In Bruges is that most really liked it. Are we just all going to sit around and uh... you know... shall I say, massage each other's posts? Or what?

Seen 'em all and they're all good, but I think the only one that has a shot of sparking the kind of in-depth discussion you got out of No Country for Old Men is There Will Be Blood. The rest are good movies but I think it's just going to be a string of I liked thats.

But whatever.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I am not sure I've ever even heard of In Bruges, but with people on their knees, begging, I wish to change my Juno vote to that one. Sorry to be complicated.

Checking voter registrations, m'dear! There's a new user called J Bush who wanted to withhold his choice until the polls had closed then steal the limelight if it was a close two horse race.

I showed him where to go!

"Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!"

I'll give any Mofo a milkshake that votes for There Will Be Blood.

I will give any MoFo who doesn't vote at all a Chinese burn...

Is this how the thread is turning out? Emmeline Pankhurst didn't go around giving out Chinese burns (crinoline wedgies maybe). William Wilberforce didn't give out Chinese burns.

Then again, I don't think either of them have logged into the site recently.

Welcome to the human race...
For the record, according to IMDb, In Bruges won't come out in Australian cinemas until the 4th of September, so if gets voted in I may be a teensy bit late in discussing it.

Then again, I barely showed up for the last discussion of a movie I already owned.