The MoFo Millenium Top 100 Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Well, there it is. With this, my top six films have all been represented. And yes, this was my #1.

Why? Well, you'll find out a lot more about that sometime in 2013, when I finally publish my 7,000 word multimedia monstrosity of an essay about the film, but trust me: it's deep. Everyone remembers That Sequence, that 4 minutes and 18 seconds early in the film, but just as much care went into the rest of it. The motifs are established early and recur throughout, and there are lots of little narrative easter eggs tucked away in almost every scene. Half of what I ended up writing about is stuff I discovered after I started writing, while rewatching it. The list of hidden meanings and artful touches just kept growing.

When it comes to our favorite films, they're almost always a mix of craft and circumstance: they're usually very good, but so are lots of other films. What helps them stand out are the unique ways they connect to us, specifically. And that's the case with Up, which came along at a pretty significant point in my life, and therefore became a significant point in my life, for reasons I'll save for the essay's introduction.

It's smuggling ideas about the nature of life and its inherent connection to risk that are more nuanced and elegant than films made for most adults. It's just a beautiful, beautiful film.

Hallo! Good to be back.
Great list so far. A few blockbusters, a lot of foreign language, and the usual (Pixar), but the diversity of movies in here is quite refreshing. I was even surprised to see Solaris at 50, and was bewildered to see Unbreakable at 28 and Donnie Darko at 15. But since we're down to the last dozen, we can narrow it down to this:

Mulholland Dr, There will be blood , No Country for Old Men, & Eternal Sunshine are sure take a spot on Top 10. And at this point, Inglourious Basterds, Fellowship and Dark Knight seems inevitable. Also, I don't know but I'm getting a feeling we'll see In the Mood for Love & The New World high up, but I may very well be wrong.

My wild-cards (a bit far fetch but still.... I'm just rooting for this movies):
The White Ribbon, Far From Heaven, Yi Yi, & Dogville.

The rest is a mystery to me. Maybe some newer films. I expect some pleasant surprise but, God, please not Avatar.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Up is incredible (but it's no The Incredibles ) - it was just about at this positton on my list.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Up was on my list, I have to ask everyone here.

Has any other film made you cry, tear up, within the first ten minutes? Up fits the bill there for me and not only is it a beautiful & colourful film, but it is a project that took guts to make. A kids film about a grumpy old man? Not really something that you'd think kids would want to see. Not to mention a flying house via balloons.

Love Up, love it to death.

Suspect's Reviews

I've had a tear or two at a movie, but not within the first ten minutes... I didn't cry at all at Up though.

Heavier films like The Passion Of The Christ is the sort of film that brings a tear to my eye.

I cried all the way through Star Wars Episodes I and II... but not for the reasons I was hoping to.

No, I don't think I've ever cried so quickly at a film before. I've cried at plenty, but not within the first 10 minutes. Not unless I'd seen it before.

My wife can't even watch Up. That's not an exaggeration. It's one of our favorite movies and she hasn't seen it in over two years.

I don't think any movie has made me cry so early on.

Heavier films like The Passion Of The Christ is the sort of film that brings a tear to my eye.
I wanted to cry during The Passion of the Christ, but that was mainly from boredom. (As a movie, that film is rather poorly constructed. It doesn't bother with character development at all. It expects its viewers to already be familiar with the story and to be able to fill in the information it witholds. As an atheist who has never attended church nor read the Bible, I wasn't getting the full story.)

Also, I don't know but I'm getting a feeling we'll see In the Mood for Love & The New World high up, but I may very well be wrong.

My wild-cards (a bit far fetch but still.... I'm just rooting for this movies):
The White Ribbon, Far From Heaven, Yi Yi, & Dogville.
None of those films are going to appear.

Has any other film made you cry, tear up, within the first ten minutes?
I don't think so and neither did Up. However, had it stopped after those 10 minutes, it would've been a much better film. I'm surprised, and slightly pleased, that it didn't make the top 10. On the other hand, what the hell have you people voted for to make the top 10? It could turn out that I'd rather have Up there.

On the other hand, what the hell have you people voted for to make the top 10?
We still have one LOTR movie that hasn't made it, plus there's Eternal Sunshine, The Departed, The Dark Knight, There Will Be Blood and No Country for Old Men that are pretty much guaranteed to make it. So that's half the remaining list. Not sure what the other half will be.

I finally thought to myself when I saw Return of the King pop up that Up wasn't going to be #1, like I had predicted. I am surprised, though, that it's not even in the top ten.

This movie is good and it made me sad for various reasons, but it wasn't all-the-way good. The best parts of Up for me were the beginning and ending -- the middle, when they're at Paradise Falls (I think that was the name?) ... I didn't like the middle so much, which is the bulk of the movie. Wasn't fond of the bad guy and his posse of dogs.

It's an extremely gorgeous movie on Blu-ray, though. One of the best I've seen.

This was #16 on my list.

We still have one LOTR movie that hasn't made it, plus there's Eternal Sunshine, The Departed, The Dark Knight, There Will Be Blood and No Country for Old Men that are pretty much guaranteed to make it. So that's half the remaining list. Not sure what the other half will be.
Mulholland Drive, Inglourious Basterds, City of God, Amelie, Lost in Translation, and The Hurt Locker.

I guess this means no Pixar in the top ten

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I really, really need to watch Up again at some point fairly soon. Only seen it once and while I did very much enjoy it I didn't get that immediate reaction of 'masterpiece!' that I did with the likes of Wall-e, the Toy Story trilogy or Monsters Inc.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Up was on my list, I have to ask everyone here.

Has any other film made you cry, tear up, within the first ten minutes?
I can't think of any. That is not the only part of Up that makes me cry either. There are four or five more scenes that get me everytime.

I'm disappointed that Up isn't higher. It's most likely the last movie to make it from my list (I had it at number seven) and from here on out I doubt I'll like anything as near as I do Up.

***Actually, I may have spoke too soon. I think one more from my list still has a fighting chance.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I'm going to have to catch "Up" on some of the top animated movies of the new millenium that I've missed.