No Man's Sky

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
Yeah PS4 does feel like the golden goose for them.

And it seems it's still flapping away...

The open beta rolls on and on

The People's Republic of Clogher
The amount of effort Sony put into publicising it, I'm not surprised it sold so well.

Heck, I'd pre-ordered it on PS4 before I even realised that I could have bought it on PC. I assumed it was an exclusive.

The amount of effort Sony put into publicising it, I'm not surprised it sold so well.

Heck, I'd pre-ordered it on PS4 before I even realised that I could have bought it on PC. I assumed it was an exclusive.
Oh that's why you did that

I'm guessing you've sold the PSVR on already? (This mighta been a fairly good fit as it goes :/. Focus on seated play etc. Blurry as all hell though apparently )

A system of cells interlinked
Grabbed a little playtime before bed last night. Worked on my refinery base a bit more and did some fleet stuff. Still seeing annoying lines flashing when I fly around in space. Hopefully they address that soon!

I am on a Mediterranean island, playing football, swimming and drinking mocktails with my kidling...

But also hankering somewhat to be in dayglo indie space

I was really liking the cutesy volumetric clouds in my short playtime. Kinda daft, but they do add something, both as backdrop and when flying through them. (Plus they hide a fair few surface loading sins that were visible at launch )

The People's Republic of Clogher
Oh that's why you did that

I'm guessing you've sold the PSVR on already? (This mighta been a fairly good fit as it goes :/. Focus on seated play etc. Blurry as all hell though apparently )
Nah, it's still in its box. I'll probably trade it along with a console next year when the new hardware comes out. If I sold it now I'd only spend the money on something frivolous.

Well, today's patch has brought the stuttering back in a big way for me. Checked the XML file to see if the fix had been overwritten - it hadn't.

I'm done. Might come back in a few months.

Nah, it's still in its box. I'll probably trade it along with a console next year when the new hardware comes out. If I sold it now I'd only spend the money on something frivolous.
Be frivolous. Give it a go

Well, today's patch has brought the stuttering back in a big way for me. Checked the XML file to see if the fix had been overwritten - it hadn't.

I'm done. Might come back in a few months.
Guys in the experimental branch were saying performance returned when they reverted to base settings. (IE deleted the file & repaired steam build, or whatever). Seems the HighNum tinkering conflicts with the latest build.

Hasn't made any difference for me. Oh well.
Bummer :/

---

A Tale of Two Multiplayers

Multiplayer has promise, a tale:

A friend of mine and I joined up, greeted each other, loaded up a mission from the Nexus and set off to a watery world in search of toxic plants to destroy. Upon arrival, we were side-tracked by the exciting plants and animals, and began exploring around our landing site.

Friend noticed a point of interest in the depths, and called back to me that he was going to go check it out. He dove in, I stayed on land scanning and cataloging flora and fauna. Moments later, I heard his screams. I rushed to the waters edge and looked for his marker. Just then, he breached, walked to the shore and explained, "I saw this big clam and went to go get the pearl, and then something started biting me!"

So naturally, I dove in to investigate. As I entered the underwater cave, I saw the source of his temptation - a brilliant neptunian specimen, begging to be taken. As I swam deeper into the cave, finger tips just close enough to grab it, my screen starts flashing red.

180 degrees and I'm faced with a ****ing giant seamonster who fills the entirety of the cave entrance, I can't swim out, I can't get past him, and he's tearing me to shreds. I start screaming, my friend starts screaming; thinking on my feet, I whip out my terrain manipulator and I start tunneling upwards to the surface to escape as the monster continues to chew my legs off. A few feet in, and

I'm out of juice. I left my supplies on my ship, I can't reload, I'm being eaten alive. I can't escape.

"I'M COMIN, HANG ON"

My health is at 50%

"ALMOST THERE"

My health is at 25%

"THERE"

The tunnel in front of my falls away to the light of the sun, and I swim to the surface without a single HP to spare. He'd heard my plight and raced to action, using his own terrain manipulator to tunnel directly into me, the aborted escape hatch, and the hand of fate meeting just a few meters below the surface.

After we caught our breath, and I reloaded all my ****, we melted some dumbass plants and then went and collected our nanites; death averted, death dispensed.

Fin
Aaand...

So I made an attempt to play multiplayer with some friends, one of whom was in VR.

On first guy's planet, everything was mostly fine. There were some trees growing out of his patio that really shouldn't have been there, but all of us could mostly agree on what reality was at this location. VR guy's VR was doing fine and we mostly watched his poor spacedude tie itself in knots. Even a crude attempt at exocraft racing was absolutely fine.

Then we moved to Another World, where a very low-res panther chased me for ages / where things started getting odd.

Attempting to ferry people there, eventually we determined that my freighter not appearing for VR guy was probably because he'd not gotten one yet, which I guess makes a semblance of sense.

On arrival, I found that Player 2 had made quite a nice base, although some of the dirt had managed to pop back in despite her assuring me the base was clear. I cleared it out, turned around and the dirt had spontaneously reappeared as apparently this is Schrodinger's World. (I'd assume that's the original ground level of the planet?)

At this point, consensus reality broke down. Following a couple of restarts, Player 1 called in his freighter and that worked until he got to the cockpit and discovered it was in fact my freighter. Meanwhile on the ground, I was firing bouncy lasers wildly inside a nice new room with a powered portal in that everyone else swore wasn't there, while VR guy and player 2 attempted to build another base that I couldn't see. As Player 1 returned from our(?) freighter, he informed me that on his screen, the whole thing was down as 'Tactical Necromancy's Base' and not 'Player 2's Base' .

At some point I also ended 600,000 ly from the rest of the group, but I think that was a problem at my end.

All in all, a thoroughly surreal experience I can almost recommend. I suspect some of the issues may come from VR guy and Player 2 being right at the start of the game.

My game is still running pretty well after the update, but these guys are clearly messing about with the draw distances and LOD as they run these patches along. Graphics seemed a bit odd to me last night.

News from VR land is still incredibly mixed, even with the dedicated patch. Some people are romping, others can barely play on top end rigs.

I'm taken with this theory:

I highly suspect they spent so much time ensuring PSVR was as good as possible up until release that they just didn't have time for proper testing for PCVR. PS4 has an 8 Core CPU, ours is a 6 core/12 thread. May take some time for them to get a handle on the differences.
PS4VR performance seems to be surprisingly decent, wouldn't be surprised if they prioritised it. Or if if they're playing catch-up on the broader PC variations :/

---

EDIT: well this is in experimental

Introduced a number of CPU and rendering optimisations for OpenVR.
Responses are mixed. Some say good. Some say it crashes their game. And Steam

Honestly these clouds are ridiculous, but I kinda love them

I didn't even know there were bikes!

Have you ever wanted to bicycle kick a Sentinel?

So I can't ride a triceratops in VR, but this should be nuts

The big ball is proving popular...

Introducing No Man's Sky Golf

I call it, "Blaster League"!

EDIT:

This is almost exactly how my first whispering egg encounter went down...

The Game can be scary, especially in vr 😨

I had no idea they did that...

I have collected a decent gallery of weird and wonderful screen shots that I do intend to actually post, but I keep thinking of it while I am at work...

Soon, I promise!

The game continues to run well for me, except for one glaring problem that needs to be fixed soon. My Hazard Protection has stopped functioning properly. As you might guess, this makes Survival Mode quite challenging. Things are fine until i need to recharge, at which point the unit reports back that it is already full, and cannot be recharged. In looks full in the recharge screen, but the gauge on the main HUD goes all the way down and then I start taking critical damage. I have to pop into my ship or into a cave and let it go back up. if I want to keep playing on whatever hazardous planet I am on at the time. So, for now, I am sticking to more pleasant environments.

Also: I have 13/16 portal glyphs... getting close!

Hopefully this gets addressed soon!

This post is called:

I'm not getting excited, but...

Experimental Branch 02/09 - performance improvements for OpenVR

This is the first experimental branch that's getting a fairly clear consensus of 'better'. (Even if it comes with a heavy caveat of 'should be a lot better still' )

EDIT:

Bonus: Risky voodoo spell of the week

Back in the game

Very quick VR trip report: ****** is this game amazing . But lord if it isn't just as buggy and janky as when I left 2 weeks ago

Fingers crossed for this upcoming experi branch. (And bonus speedier dialogues and faster map hand-ins...). I'm not gonna play it now though as they advise not using your live save.

Loving the Nexus . Just got there. Feels like a proper rusty trans-dimensional space-bar, with all the odd-looking fools jet-packing & scurrying about the place . (I would wave at them but I'm too busy tooling up and talking to trees...)

Ok, horrible textures, but some vague VR vibe. Some quick snaps

(This planet was insane. 5ft thoughtful pineapples and all sorts. Not sure the smudgy text is readable but here are some of the characters...)

Flying around the streamlined stations and the anomaly almost beat Elite for space awe...

Planet approaches too. It's all packed into a shoebox, but damn...

Back in the game

Very quick VR trip report: ****** is this game amazing . But lord if it isn't just as buggy and janky as when I left 2 weeks ago
You can say that again! The more play, the more I am astounded by this game. Meanwhile, it is janky as hell! it has gotten better over the past week or so for me, but there is still clearly a lot of work to be done to get this thing polished. That said, aside from the super-annoying "Can't recharge my Hazard Protection" bug, the state of the game hasn't really been much of a distraction as I play. I am just having too much fun playing to really notice.

I am slowing saving enough to start looking for an S-Class Freighter, as the one I have currently is just too damned small. It's tough to do the expeditions, as whenever my fleet returns, I don't seem to have room to get all the goodies they bring back, so I have to juggle **** around into my pack and then back out again.

I have close to 150 million units, so I think Ia m close to being able to get the big ship...if I can find one, that is!