Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
No One Will Save You

This is a film that runs 1hr33mins and it has no dialogue. Bravo.

Suspect's Reviews

I forgot the opening line.

By Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures - Nerdist.com, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=38651428

Monsters University - (2013)

Strike another Pixar film off the list - Monsters University. It was fun, surprising me with it's prequel story which I followed with some interest. Friends in the first film, here Mike (Billy Crystal) and Sulley (John Goodman) are rivals at university. Mike dreams of becoming a scarer, despite not being naturally scary, while Mike is trying to breeze through on his family's name. It's hard work versus natural talent. I guess it felt original, mostly because of the bonkers world these monster characters live in. Another thing that really impressed me was the lesson to kids held up by this animated film - that not everything can be attained by hard work. Natural talent cannot be learned. Colourful and funny, Monsters University serves up a huge load of imagination and a virtual flowerbed of visual motion and design. It's crazy and has Archie the Scare Pig in it, which is a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

7/10

By Universal Pictures - http://www.movieposterdb.com/poster/c7bb5238, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=37023721

Lady on a Train - (1945)

Hey - I really like Deanna Durbin! After watching and probably underrating It Started With Eve earlier this year I come across another of the films she starred in - Lady on a Train. It's much more comedy than Agatha Christie-like mystery, with debutante and mystery novel-lover Nicki Collins (Durbin) witnessing a murder through a window while on a train to visit her aunt in New York. From there she goes to great lengths to solve the crime after the police and mystery novel writer Wayne Morgan (David Bruce) dismiss her claims. Ralph Bellamy and Dan Duryea play the sons of the murdered party - but they both inherited $1 each, while the absent Margo Martin (Maria Palmer), who Nicki pretends to be, gets everything. There are some really funny moments in this - and it's evident how much comedic talent Deanna Durbin has. She's so good that she carries this entire movie by herself - and I look forward to seeing more of her.

7/10

By IMP Awards / 1991 Movie Poster Gallery / Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves Poster (#1 of 2), Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=2327520

Robin Hood : Prince of Thieves - (1991)

Oh boy. In 1991 there was no escaping the Bryan Adams song "(Everything I Do) I Do It for You" - I'd hear it several times a day despite not wanting to. At the time, someone I fell in love with, who loved this song, jilted me for a rival - thus I hated the song even more. Because of all that - I never, ever really wanted to see Robin Hood : Prince of Thieves, even a little, and in any event I'm not the biggest Robin Hood fan regardless. Sigh. A year later I was in a committed relationship when my love from the previous year had abandoned her guy and asked me out. I hate that - it feels like I'm living in a soap opera. It wouldn't be the last time that happened to me either. Ahem - sorry, about the movie - it's one of those big budget mainstream films with no real faults that plays everything safe. It's big and obviously well made, but contains absolutely no surprises - it's dull epic beige, which deserves respect but not acclaim. I was right not to go see it, but I'm still glad I finally got around to giving it a go. Alan Rickman does a pretty good Sheriff of Nottingham, and Morgan Freeman gets a few good verbal jabs in.

6/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Speaking of religious-themed horror, I find that I am simultaneously looking forward to and dreading the arrival of David Gordon Green's The Exorcist: Believer. The involvement of Ellen Burstyn, returning as Chris MacNeil, has definitely raised my hopes that the movie will be at least decent. Both the trailers I've seen make the film seem somewhat opportunistically cheesy, and give away far too many details of the plot. However, I like the way the first trailer sneaks in the Mike Oldfield Tubular Bells melody gradually and only a few notes at a time. Very clever. And in the second trailer, we definitely get the impression of playing for very high stakes. Apparently, we'll get a situation in which the lives of two possessed girls will be held in the balance. Who will live and who will die? Stay tuned! (I'm reminded of the horrific and impossible moral choice that the Father Merrin character - played by Stellan Skarsgård - was forced into during the flashback scenes of the Dominion and Beginning prequels from 2004.) But my deepest fear is that this is just going to be Star Wars: The Force Awakens all over again, recycling plot elements from the original and cynically attempting to replicate those things audiences remembered best from the original.

Hopefully, after having seen the impressive Talk To Me and the somewhat less than impressive The Nun II, I haven't already spoiled my appetite for The Exorcist: Believer. Do you think I ought to sneak in a viewing of It Lives Inside, or do you think that's enough demonic / possession horror for the time being?
I watched The Nun (2018) when it came out, thought it was terrible, and was thus done with any sequels. A quiet lull indeed, when The Nun II is the best offering. It all has me going so far as to not go to the movies at all the last few weeks simply because there was a lack of anything really worth seeing. That includes It Lives Inside, which by all accounts is rather average. I have similar taste to you, going by your well-written account of how your movie tastes have evolved. I fear that The Exorcist : Believer is going to be terrible - but I thought that about Evil Dead Rise after seeing it's trailer, and was pleasantly proved wrong. It just looks like another extra-cheesy Exorcist sequel, with the inclusion of Ellen Burstyn an attempt to make a direct link to the original and draw attention away from the fact that this is yet another stab at a series with a poor track record. I eagerly anticipate whatever the next truly great and enjoyable horror/supernatural scary experience is going to be - but I don't think it's any of these films. Like Talk to Me - it'll be something new.

Candy (2006)

Downbeat story of a young bohemian couple who end up in love and addicted to heroin. It's cut into sections which works well but we do not get a proper idea of the physical toll that a 24/7 addiction to hard drugs will take, both Cornish and Ledger look at the end, after years of abuse, like they did at the start. Not saying they should have method(one) acted it though. The interplay between them is sometimes cute but mostly mawkish. Interaction with her family just grinds through the gears. The heavy thing is the pimping out your wife for scag and considering becoming a male prostitute too. Panic in needle park did this storyline much better in my view.
[review]2[/review]

Believe it or not, I don't think I've seen any films dealing with the Conjuring universe until now! But having seen the previews, this sequel to a 2018 spinoff from the original The Conjuring (2013) looked rather interesting. Actually, at my local theater, there were two interesting possibilities: The Nun II or It Lives Inside. The previews of the latter were also interesting, but it felt like perhaps it was too close to the recent Talk to Me, which I had already seen and enjoyed. Also, It Lives Inside was PG-13, and I was feeling in the mood for just a bit more of the "red red kroovy", so The Nun II it was!

But first, a word or two about myself (or as Stephen King would describe it, "an annoying autobiographical pause")...

When I started seriously getting into movies as a young teenager, my first love was the horror genre. I had a lot of interesting books about horror films, including The Encyclopedia of Horror Movies (edited by Phil Hardy), Kim Newman's Nightmare Movies, John McCarty's The Modern Horror Film, and Stephen King's landmark non-fiction study Danse Macabre. But the trouble was, as fascinating and compelling as I found the genre, and as enticing as the horror section of the local Video Vision appeared, my parents were very reticent to let me see any R-rated (never mind un-rated) horror films unless they had already seen them and felt like I could handle it. So Alien (1979) and Psycho (1960) were in, but The Exorcist (1973) - which gave my stepmother nightmares - was definitely out. Beyond that, it was such PG or PG-13 fare such as Poltergeist (1982), Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983), Gremlins (1984), etc., etc. (And even then, a PG-13 rating was still no guarantee. They wouldn't let me see 1984's Ghoulies because of the satanic ritual sacrifice at the beginning!)

(Mind you, this was the '80s, you Gen-Z boys and girls - and others - out there! I'm guessing very few of you have had the pleasure of viewing a pan-and-scan VHS cassette tape of something which, 50% of the time anyway, was meant to be seen in a wider aspect ratio. But hey, that was the only option we had back then - that is, until widescreen special editions where you were initially confused about the purpose of those black bands on the top and bottom of the screen! Ahhh, nostalgia...)

Anyhoo... Where was I? Oh yes. Mind you, as unfair as all this might seem, my parents probably had good reason to doubt my fortitude with regard to horrific images. Because believe it or not, at the age of 11, I had actually been terrified by those Terror Dogs from Ghostbusters (1984) when I first saw it in its first theatrical run. It freaked me out to imagine that Sigourney Weaver's and Rick Moranis's bodies had been taken over by evil spirits formerly incarnated in the form of satanic canines! It was only much later that I actually got into a lot of those harder-edged horror films I had become curious about from looking through the horror section at the Video Vision rental store. Perhaps a bit sooner than my parents would have preferred, but... Well, let's just say thank God for sympathetic relatives, and leave it at that! Anyway, when I finally actually saw The Exorcist, I found it a very compelling and dramatic film, but not particularly disturbing. The minions of Gozer the Gozerian had already busted my "possession cherry" quite some time before! Plus I was getting into the likes of Wes Craven's A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) and a couple of its sequels, Stuart Gordon's H.P. Lovecraft adaptations Re-Animator (1985) and From Beyond (1986), Clive Barker's Hellraiser (1987) and its sequel Hellbound (1988), Dario Argento's Suspiria (1977), Sam Raimi's Evil Dead I (1981) and II (1987), David Cronenberg's The Fly (1986), Ken Russell's The Lair of the White Worm (1988), Alan Parker's Angel Heart (1987), and... Well, the end is listless, as they say.

But even then, I had become interested in many other different kinds of films. (Not romantic comedies, mind you. I found the mere idea of those to be boring.) Many of the other titles I'd gotten into included Apocalypse Now (1979), Taxi Driver (1976), A Clockwork Orange (1971) and Pink Floyd: The Wall (1982). Even in the aforementioned book The Modern Horror Film by John McCarty, a couple of the titles he included were Roman Polanski's Macbeth (1972), Sam Peckinpah's Straw Dogs and Ken Russell's The Devils (both 1971), and a couple other titles not necessarily considered horror according to any kind of purist definition, alongside the usual suspects such as The Exorcist, Psycho, the Hammer Dracula (1958), Alien, The Shining (1980) and The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974). So I definitely made notice of these titles and at some future point I would see them. (BTW, McCarty's book covers the period from 1957 to about 1988, starting with the Hammer Dracula and Frankenstein films and ending with Ken Russell's The Lair of the White Worm. Certainly out of date, by today's standards.)

Anyway, if I had to describe the type of cinema that personally resonated with me, in a nutshell, I would have to say that I was interested in anything which dealt with the darker or more traumatic aspects of the human condition. Anything that has an unsettling, disturbing or cathartic quality, in any way, shape or form. In addition to the aforementioned titles in the last paragraph, that also includes the likes of Sidney Lumet's Equus (1977), William Friedkin's Cruising (1980), Liliana Cavani's The Night Porter (1974), Paul Thomas Anderson's There Will Be Blood (2007), etc. One of the reasons why I had gravitated towards horror in the first place was precisely because it tended towards the confrontational and cathartic, the way classic fairy tales used to. But as I've indicated, it's certainly not the only genre to enter into such territory. In fact, one could almost argue that the average horror film has become tame and predictable over time, its conventions and tropes subject to blatant self-referencing and cynically ritualistic recycling. Granted, given today's current cultural climate, things which honestly seek to disturb or unsettle have become rare as hen's teeth. Disturbance is certainly not a priority for the corporate merchants who only have their eyes on the bottom line and seek desperately not to offend or even perplex. (Ask yourself why Warner Brothers hasn't yet released the uncut version of Ken Russell's The Devils in a special edition Blu-ray, or even allowed someone like Criterion, Arrow or Shout! Factory to do the job.)

Which, in a highly roundabout way, brings us (finally!) to The Nun II. I'll make this as brief as I possibly can ("Too late!" I can already hear some of you saying): In this movie, two nuns - Sister Irene from the first Nun and Sister Debra - attempt to deal with a series of apparently demonic killings in Europe in 1957. They're finally led to a boarding school in Europe, where a character from the first film is working and has gotten close to a young student named Sophie and her mother. A few more killings and jump scares later, we find out that the titular spirit taking the form of a nun is actually searching for the eyes of St. Lucy (sort of putting us in Indiana Jones territory). Amusingly enough, we also get an evil horned goat with glowing red eyes, first seen in a stained-glass window but which later emerges in the flesh to terrorize and chase the students of the school! The inevitably overblown climax takes place in the former winery (the school previously having served as a monastery), and let's just say that a miraculous piece of transubstantiation takes place to decisively (?) quench the evil spirit!

As you can gather from the somewhat irreverent tone of my condensed plot description, you can probably tell I wasn't overly impressed. Granted, I like me a good religious-themed supernatural horror film, but this one doesn't really bring anything new to the table, being rather clichéd and overbaked. Maybe I'm just a cranky old-timer who's seen it all done before and better, but I just felt The Nun II was all just a bit by the numbers. I guess I could say, on a positive note, that the jump scares were very well-handled. They seemed to be very effective for a good many of my fellow patrons in the theater, anyway! So I guess that's something...

Speaking of religious-themed horror, I find that I am simultaneously looking forward to and dreading the arrival of David Gordon Green's The Exorcist: Believer. The involvement of Ellen Burstyn, returning as Chris MacNeil, has definitely raised my hopes that the movie will be at least decent. Both the trailers I've seen make the film seem somewhat opportunistically cheesy, and give away far too many details of the plot. However, I like the way the first trailer sneaks in the Mike Oldfield Tubular Bells melody gradually and only a few notes at a time. Very clever. And in the second trailer, we definitely get the impression of playing for very high stakes. Apparently, we'll get a situation in which the lives of two possessed girls will be held in the balance. Who will live and who will die? Stay tuned! (I'm reminded of the horrific and impossible moral choice that the Father Merrin character - played by Stellan Skarsgård - was forced into during the flashback scenes of the Dominion and Beginning prequels from 2004.) But my deepest fear is that this is just going to be Star Wars: The Force Awakens all over again, recycling plot elements from the original and cynically attempting to replicate those things audiences remembered best from the original.

Hopefully, after having seen the impressive Talk To Me and the somewhat less than impressive The Nun II, I haven't already spoiled my appetite for The Exorcist: Believer. Do you think I ought to sneak in a viewing of It Lives Inside, or do you think that's enough demonic / possession horror for the time being?
did u watch post credit scene?

I see this was directed by her husband. Didn’t know he directed. Knew him as a production designer.

Candy (2006)

Downbeat story of a young bohemian couple who end up in love and addicted to heroin. It's cut into sections which works well but we do not get a proper idea of the physical toll that a 24/7 addiction to hard drugs will take, both Cornish and Ledger look at the end, after years of abuse, like they did at the start. Not saying they should have method(one) acted it though. The interplay between them is sometimes cute but mostly mawkish. Interaction with her family just grinds through the gears. The heavy thing is the pimping out your wife for scag and considering becoming a male prostitute too. Panic in needle park did this storyline much better in my view.
[review]2[/review]
Interesting you say their chemistry was sometimes cute. Wasn’t their affair the cause of Michelle Williams ending her relationship with Ledger?

Not a bad movie, but nothing major. Jessica Lange epitomized her rôle very well.

I see this was directed by her husband. Didn’t know he directed. Knew him as a production designer.

Interesting you say their chemistry was sometimes cute. Wasn’t their affair the cause of Michelle Williams ending her relationship with Ledger?

Not a bad movie, but nothing major. Jessica Lange epitomized her rôle very well.
Spacek's husband also directed her in Raggedy Man

Huh, this exists. Strange. I have no memory of this summer.

I feel like I've already seen this movie.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Heroes For Sale - 7/10
This was made 90 years ago, but a few issues it deals with is war, opiate addiction, veterans down on their luck, prison, nepotism, conscience, including this Russian "Red" who criticized capitalism endlessly, until he goes into business (as an inventor) with our protagonist.. Barely over an hour long. Very easy watch, and the first movie I've seen in months.

Candy (2006)

[review]2[/review]
I thought Ledger was brilliant in this movie.

Referring to The Nun II...

did u watch post credit scene?
Yes, I did. I recognized Patrick Wilson, and I knew he had been in the original. But not having actually seen the original, it didn't have much resonance for me. Oh well, one of these days I might get The Conjuring Universe Blu-ray 6-pack (provided the price is decent) and watch the whole thing in a marathon viewing. Maybe I'll like some films in the set better...

Crumb, 1994

This documentary takes a look at the career and personal life of cartoonist Robert Crumb. As we learn about the origins and evolution of his work, we also see that the factors that shaped his outlooks and proclivities have also had deep and devastating effects on his family, particularly his two brothers.

This is a fascinating, funny, frustrating, tragic, hilarious look inside a very unique mind.

Full review

Wow, is this a dose - The Creator - Between action, plot and FX, it's one of those movies I'm reluctant to say much about until I see it again. It's really a huge FX extravaganza. I don't know how they got all of this into a budget of 80 million. It's a future war between wet-ware humans and beings that span a range of robotic and semi-human characters and a pivotal character, a kid who is robotic and seems to hold the key to the future. You're never quite sure just who is really what unless sometimes they turn sideways and you can see into their ear and out the other side. Even then, you're not sure. The androids are "programmed" (are they really?) to act like us and seem to have emotions, but part of the question is whether our emotion is really different from programmed emotion. Robots run the range from disposable mechanical gadgets to convincing humans. The question of what is human leads us down blind alleys. I don't want to say too much because I was sufficiently visually overwhelmed that I need a do-over to get the plot line subtleties.

It has elements of a sort of mashup of Star Wars, Blade Runner, Apocalypse Now and The Forbidden Planet, coupled with some episodes of The Outer Limits and the Twilight Zone. It channels themes and images from the Viet Nam War throughout. If you're going to do it, find a theater with terrific sound and screen, since it really is a visual and sonic overload. Having been under-whelmed by a lot of recent movies, this one is worth a repeat. I'd definitely give it better than IMDB's 7.1.

By Hulu - IMP Awards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=74754690

No One Will Save You - (2023)

There are a few surprises in store for those who watch No One Will Save You - chief among them the tone of the movie, which takes this alien invasion/abduction movie in a more playful direction than I was expecting. It's not without terror, horror and suspense - there are bucketloads of that - but it's not big on documentary-like realism. Secondly, the fact that it's dialogue free - which at times for me was too much of a distraction. There are those who complain that 'one-shot' movies rely too much on that one gimmick - but the same held true for me in this, with all the various instances where you'd expect dialogue twisted and contorted into instances where it never happens. I was always too aware of it. All that out of the way though - it was a gripping, compelling ride which I couldn't tear my eyes away from. Brian Duffield has some imagination, and you'll see how various sci-fi alien abduction tropes have been combined in novel ways - there's not much that's particularly new, but all-up the utilization of ideas and Duffield's methods make for an entertaining movie night. Booksmart's Kaitlyn Dever also deserves praise for carrying an entire feature film without one spoken line - an enormous challenge. A lot of fun this - fast paced in a manner that never lets up, and full of surprises.

7/10

By The poster art can or could be obtained from Castle Rock Entertainment., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=28089583

Flipped - (2010)

I was feeling a little stressed and sick yesterday - I'd just watched Triumph of the Will and it had left me with an awful feeling. Flipped was the perfect remedy for that - a feelgood movie that was really warm without being overly sentimental or saccharine. Juli Baker (Madeline Carroll) has had a crush on neighbour Bryce Loski (Callan McAuliffe) since infancy - but as she grows up and becomes wiser she comes to see his faults more clearly. In the meantime Bryce, who started out disliking Juli's attentions begins to like her, and grow attracted to her. With roles reversed, Bryce has to learn to be more courageous and be a better person as both Juli's and Bryce's families try to smooth over a kind of cold war that exists between them. Rob Reiner, coming off a hit with The Bucket List, was just about to lose his touch - but don't let that prejudice your view of Flipped. It's a genuinely good movie - and if you're looking for something the whole family can enjoy, or just a great coming of age romance, this is one that has a lot of heart in it. It's not by the numbers - every scene and character has been carefully worked out. Give it a chance.

8/10

By http://www.impawards.com/2023/antman...ania_ver4.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=72090715

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania - (2023)

To Marvel : I know you want to try and squeeze in more and more to try and top the previous films that have been part of this universe. Trouble is, they're already stuffed with far too much. We need better stories and characters. We need careful consideration payed to what you want audiences to feel other than shock and awe at what's onscreen at any one time. This atomic bomb full of glitter, luminescence, gold, silver and multi-colored crystals is a meaningless, by-the-numbers mess that proves these films are heading in the wrong direction. It's cinematic madness. A movie is more than the sum of it's art design and computer-generated imagery, and audiences will feel empty if that's all you give them. It's like going to a restaurant and getting a plateful of chocolate and nothing else. I can't get through many more of these.

4/10

By Erich Ludwig Stahl (1887–1943) - https://www.ushmm.org/propaganda/arc...-triumph-will/, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...urid=116438048

Triumph of the Will - (1935)

Here's what I wrote on letterboxd in my misery after watching Triumph of the Will yesterday : "So many fellow film buffs have seen this and either simply logged it or rated it that I found it necessary to do likewise so as to be steeped in all manner of documentary filmmaking. What did I find, personally? Mind-numbing order, monotonous rhythmic stomping of boots, terrifying portents of doom with the advance knowledge we have and meaningless cries and calls for "strength, unity, brotherhood and peace" - it was a frightening, sad attempt at the formulation of a new empire in the model of the old Roman one. The shouts and cries echo in my ears, and the endless marching made me nauseous. I can't rate this - but I've seen it, and that's enough."

No rating

At the time I was thinking about how strange it was, watching Triumph of the Will and Flipped together - what a weird double feature that would make at the movies.