Movie Tab II

Tools    

history *is* moralizing
Aviator, well, even De Caprio i usually can't stand is okay there, that's an achievement!

MovieForums Extra
Here's my list from the past couple of months.

De Lovely - d. Irwin Winkler - 2004 - B-
National Treasure - d. Jon Turtletaub - 2004 - B-
Cinema Paradiso (Dir. Cut) - d. Guiseppe Tornatore - 1988 - A+
Troy - d. Wolfgang Peterson - 2004 - C
We Don't Live Here Anymore - d. John J. Curran - 2004 - C-
Napoleon Dynamite - d. Jared Hess - 2004 - A
Sweet Home Alabama - d. Andy Tennant - 2002 - B
Before Sunrise - d. Richard Linklater - 1995 - B
Before Sunset - d. Richard Linklater - 2004 - B
Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys - d. Peter Care - 2002 - B
United States of Leland - d. Matthew Ryan Hoge - 2004 - B+
Sullivan's Travels - d. Preston Sturges - 1942 - A
The Lady Eve - d. Preston Sturges - 1941 - A
Palm Beach Story - d. Preston Sturges - 1942 - A
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - d. Kerry Conran - 2004 - C-
The Chorus (Les Choristes) - d. Christophe Barratier - 2004 - A++
Songcatcher - d. Maggie Greenwald - 1999 - A
The Brothers McMullen - d. Edward Burns - 1995 - B-
Raising Helen - d. Garry Marshall - 2004 - B-
The Notebook - d. Nick Cassavetes - 2004 - C-
Ginger and Cinnamon (Dillo Con Parole Mio) - d. Daniele Luchetti - 2003 - B Great Italian Chick Flick
Princess Mononoke - d. Hayao Miyazaki - 1997 - A

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by birdygyrl
The Chorus (Les Choristes) - d. Christophe Barratier - 2004 - A++
Songcatcher - d. Maggie Greenwald - 1999 - A
The Brothers McMullen - d. Edward Burns - 1995 - B-
I just saw these recently too. Thanks for the recommendations Karen . I agree with your ratings (all of them). The Chorus in particular I loved.

Ginger and Cinnamon ...I've never heard of it. I'll have to add this one to my list. Thanks again.

Just saw...

The Upside of Anger
I loved it...the cast and story. Joan Allen is phenomenal. I hope she's remembered during the award season this year. And, I'm not usually a fan of Kevin Costner...but he was terrific in this. I loved them together.

Chicks dig Lord of the Rings, Randal
Thirteen

Collateral (re-watch)- was a bit stoned and munching, but still like the way it's shoot, bit predictable but still fun. 7.5/10

Wedding Crashers- fun annoying pace but good laughs from the new comedy gods. 7/10

The People's Republic of Clogher
The Prophecy (1995, Gregory Widen)

3/5

The Angel Gabriel (Chris Walken) comes to Earth in search of an evil man's soul to aid him in his war 'upstairs'. A priest-turned-cop, sexy schoolteacher and the Prince Of Darkness himself (Viggo Mortensen's Lucifer, not Ozzy) try to stop him. Virginia Madsen, Eric Stoltz and Amanda Plummer try really hard not to burst out laughing.

Top trashy fun.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Venus Beauty Institute

Missed the first 25 mins (because, like a fool, i was watching an episode of Dead Zone - is anyone else shocked that it's the same guy from The Breakfast Club playing the lead Steven-King role? [or that China is now the accepted source for all retroviral ills?])

Ahem, yes... I give the above-mentioned, well-handled French flick... this:

I can't decide whether it's a '3' or a '4' coz i had no beginning to latch on to. What i saw worked well (i liked the way the director seemed to play with expectation swells. And the actors were all shiny and adept as well - but you know you're in good hands when Nathalie Baye is at the helm)

Plus, for the [male] Audrey Tautou 'buffs', the lithe young starlet shows some negligéd-nudity o'sorts. And she also does turns in another solidly elf-like performance in a supporting role as well

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Ken Loach's Poor Cow (1967)
Thanks. Is it any good?

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Thanks. Is it any good?
It's kind of a female take on English Kitchen Sink drama (Saturday Night And Sunday Morning, The Lonliness Of The Long Distance Runner etc) but with a documentary feel. Haven't seen it in years but I like Ken Loach - definately worth a watch if you can find it.

You ready? You look ready.
Look Who's Talking Now- C
The Russian House- I very much enjoyed this one. When I had to get up I rushed whatever I was doing. A
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
By the Light Of The Silvery Moon --- charming doris day escapades, lovely little film and its pretty funny too - that young westley is such a rascal!

Rocky Horror Picture Show --- I couldnt love this movie more if i tried

You've got mail --- charming new york romantic comedy. Tom+Meg=lovelyness

Lately I've been running errands, going out of town for a bit, and had family visiting, so my film watching and Internet use faltered, but now I should be back on track:

The Wedding Crashers- Just plain entertaining. Wilson and Vaughn have fantastic chemistry and Rachel McAdams and Isla Fisher somehow manage to keep up. The first half had enough belly laughs to satisfy and although the more formulaic second-half was less funny, it still was pretty enjoyable. Overall, the movie's slick and raunchy start contained enough of the good stuff to help me forget some of the finales shortcomings. 3/4

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Sullivans Travels 4/5

"There's a lot to be said for making people laugh. Did you know that that's all some people have?"

Pure enjoyment, but also keeps the intelligent satire running throughout. At several moments, the message is hammered home so strongly you feel it in your bones, yet it never beats you over the head with it. That Veronica Lake is one fine woman. Which brings up one nice little subtle bit that I just noticed. In the film Sullivan says: "Every picture has a girl," and Lake is credited only as the girl. Jimmy Conlin is a funny little scene stealer that I'll have to see more of. If you haven't seen it, keep an eye out as it seems to come on TCM quite frequently.

The 400 Blows : First time,

Moby Dick :

Beat the Devil :

Die Hard :

Life is Beautiful : first time,

The Big Empty : first time,

Clockstoppers : first time,

Ed Wood :

The story of Molokai Father Damien : first time,

Alexandra's Project : first time, riviting

I Huckabees : first time, So So

Elephant : first time,

Alice Doesn't live here Anymore :

Malcolm :

The Diaries of Vaslov Nijinsky : first time, a beautiful movie, a must see.