Movie Tab II

Tools    

Its brazen exploitation of all too real characters made me sick to my stomach in a way only art can.
5 out of 5 huh OG. I'm not sure if you're just goofing around but if you aren't, what is an example of this brazen exploitations of the characters that you speak of here? I do plan to catch it either at the Cinema or on DVD in the future.

Vacancy(Nimrod Anthal 2007)-5/5
Glad you enjoyed this B-card. Another film I want to see eventually on DVD. It didn't stick around too long in theatres unfortunately for me.

Dawn of the Dead (2003) - i was really disappointed with this. i saw the original for the first time about a year ago or something, and i really enjoyed it. i was told the remake was more scary and less comedy, but i was really bored through a good chunk. actually, i thought the first half hour was pretty decent, with plenty of potential, but once we got into the mall, i was really bored. i also don't really think fast zombies 'do' it for me. they just aren't as scary as the ones that shuffle! they kept killing off characters before you even got a chance to like them, too. actually, i didn't really care for any of the characters, even though ones that lived. i hated some of the action scenes. i found them a trifle confusing and obnoxious. 3/10
I actually had the opposite feelings as you have here. I saw the remake first, loved the fast zombies, then a little later, caught the remake on DVD and hated it. Boring, dated, and goofy. I even tried to give it away on here once heheh.

Originally Posted by Gummo
gummo Last King of Scotland A+
Forest Whitaker played an excellent General Idi Amin Dada but that was the only thing worth watching to me. And if in real life, this doctor did do that deed that almost got him killed, then he was a total imbecile for doing so on the fact alone that this General was such an emotionally unsteady tyrant and he took such a stupid chance like that. Not too smart for a Doc.

Forest Whitaker played an excellent General Idi Amin Dada but that was the only thing worth watching to me. And if in real life, this doctor did do that deed that almost got him killed, then he was a total imbecile for doing so on the fact alone that this General was such an emotionally unsteady tyrant and he took such a stupid chance like that. Not too smart for a Doc.

The doctor was very naiive. As if he didn't know what was going on, that Idi Amin was a madman, killing hundreds of thousands of Ugandans. Anyway, I gave it an A+ because I think all the actors had a great performance and I think they told the story very well!

The doctor was very naiive. As if he didn't know what was going on, that Idi Amin was a madman, killing hundreds of thousands of Ugandans.
I'm not sure if this was exactly how it happened according to the Doctor's bio, but yeah, it seems that the actor portrayed him as being so simple minded in the film but in real life, I personally doubt as you say, that he was as naive.

A system of cells interlinked
The Big Sleep (Hawks, 1946) - Second time through with this one. The convoluted plot made more sense this time, but that doesn't matter, because I can watch Bogart/Bacall ALL DAY LONG...

The Black Dalia (DePalma, 2006)

While watching this, I was wishing I had been in the film The Big Sleep, and had been shot and killed by Lash Canino. Again a convoluted plot, but, this time around, I had to watch sophomoric dullards trash scene after scene of obtuse nonsense, rife with cliche' dialogue. Johansson is miscast AGAIN in this film. Girl needs to pick some different roles for herself...Mia Kirshner's Elizabeth Short is the lone beacon of interest, character-wise. Unfortunately, we only see her briefly, in screen test reels being studied by the detectives. Bordering on the absurd in places, DePalma certainly missed with this one.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
5 out of 5 huh OG. I'm not sure if you're just goofing around but if you aren't, what is an example of this brazen exploitations of the characters that you speak of here? I do plan to catch it either at the Cinema or on DVD in the future.
Perhaps exploitation was the wrong word. I should make it clear that the characters are never exploited and the movie is not, at all, exploitative. By effect it exploits the viewer. These characters are real. I'm not sure what font or other text emphasis I can use to highlight that. Bug is painfully real.

I know people like the ones in the movie. I've seen the mindless depression people can enter, Bug takes someone in that state and pushes them to the razor edge of insanity.

It does it incredibly artfully - for lack of a better word - but the effect on the viewer is exhausting. However, this is only going to be the case if you know people like Peter or Agnes. If you know someone who knows their life is meaningless. If you know someone in an abusive relationship or with a sorrowful drug habit. If you meet any of these criteria, the truth of characters in Bug will literally make you sick to your stomach.

The horror genre aspects of the film are, relatively speaking, meaningless. Which is why they really only comprise the last 25 or so minutes of the film. And this isn't a psychological thriller. It is purely a near flawless capture of sanity unraveling.

In retrospect, the rating should probably drop to a 4.5 instead of a 5 due to a mildly implausible jump in the psychological state of Agnes/Ashley Judd. It isn't unbelievable in the scope of the character, but the editing removes a bit of the effectiveness of her sudden conversion to Peter's thought process.

Either way, Friedkin will trap you in a slow burn that will eventually singe your very nerves. But, this movie is not for everyone. And that is not to say that it will be above some people's head - the story simply won't click with some people depending on their own life. If you're in the minority who will have vulnerable spots for its claws to catch hold of, it will not let go even after you're out of the theater.

Is Bug out on DVD? I just watched the trailer. Looks kind of interesting. It'd be funny if the whole perspective took a step back and you realized they were all meth addicts or speed freaks imagining bugs all over their skin. Or, maybe not. Either way. Whatever.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Should I call you Logan, Weapon X?
Death Race 2000 - So bad its good! I enjoyed myself!

Spiderman 3 - Boring. Bad characters. Emo spidey. Awful

PotC 3 - Too long for its content. Same old tricks. Awful

Rumble in the Bronx - I love this cheesy Chan classic!

Evil Dead 2 - Awesome! Pseudo remake. Kinda

They Shoot Horses Don't They? - One of my all time faves!

I really do urge people to watch this film!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065088/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/They_Shoot_Horses,_Don't_They%3F

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Is Bug out on DVD? I just watched the trailer. Looks kind of interesting. It'd be funny if the whole perspective took a step back and you realized they were all meth addicts or speed freaks imagining bugs all over their skin. Or, maybe not. Either way. Whatever.
No, its in theaters for the time being. Should be playing somewhere near you, at least for the next week. After that I'd expect a sharp drop off.

Event Horizon

I really like this movie, but there's a couple of things that really get to me. A lot of the one liners are really just... one liners. The imagery is pretty groovy. Some of the spectacles come off as just... spectacles. I doubt I can really explain it. The cockpit of their original ship looks exactly like the one from the Matrix, it even has "Morpheus" as the captain. Spooky?

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
I actually had the opposite feelings as you have here. I saw the remake first, loved the fast zombies, then a little later, caught the remake on DVD and hated it. Boring, dated, and goofy. I even tried to give it away on here once heheh.
theres just something very unscary about fast zombies that 'roar' rather than shuffling, confused ones that kind of softly hum. im not sure. the remake was too dramatic!

Rikyu (Teshigahara, 1989) and Vatel (Joffe, 2000). Interesting pair, in that they both are about master artists working for vulgar lords. I like Teshigahara's film better, but it's always fun seeing Tim Roth play a jaded villian character.

Speaking of Teshigahara, I already have the Eureka dvds of Pitfall and The Face of Another, but I'm really looking forward to the Criterion release of Woman in the Dunes. Now if only someone would put out The Ruined Map.

Queen of the Damned (2002) ~ 2½/5
Interview With A Vampire (1994) ~ 3/5
Dracula 2000(2000) ~ 2½/5
Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) ~ 3½/5
Nosferatu (1922) ~ 5/5

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Queen of the Damned (2002) ~ 2˝/5
Interview With A Vampire (1994) ~ 3/5
Dracula 2000(2000) ~ 2˝/5
Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) ~ 3˝/5
Nosferatu (1922) ~ 5/5
I see you are on some kind of a Vampire wave or something but
why Interview with a Vampire 3/5?

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I was curious about that too.... I've always thought 3/5 was a fairly decent score....
It's not a bad score, it's just that it makes it only half a point better than Queen of the Damned...

^^do you think that is a low or high score B-Card?

It's not a bad score, it's just that it makes it only half a point better than Queen of the Damned...

I think its low for this movie you could give it at least 4/5 if you like it but still it needs more.For me this movie is absolute 5 this is Tom's best role he is so passioned and dedicated as if it's not him(but that's my opinion)

anyway:

Money Talks(Brett Ratner 1997)-3/5

Ready to Rumble(Brain Robbins 2000)-2/5

A room for Romeo Brass - Shane Meadows (2000)

twentyfourseven - Shane Meadows (1997)

As a side note, if I ever see Paddy Considine, I'm running the other way. The man scares the living daylights out of me...incredible performance in Romeo Brass...