Meatwadsprite's Slow Review Thread

→ in
Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Dark Knight is in your top 100 movies?

That is ridiculous.

Suspect's Reviews

Evil Dead 2 (1 view)

Plot : Re-tells the events of the first film in a different way (than what actually happened) - then goes on to have Ash trying to survive inside the same cabin.

Story : Like the first , the story here is basicly absent. It's more of just long pauses of nothing and then something pops out resulting in a gory aftermath. My main problem with this movie is how these constant long silences interrupt the whole movie - it might actually be entertaining having a gigantic battle with these super-natural events - with a consistent pace , but I guess we'll never know. As for a storyline - there really is none , it's just Ash getting attacked by a variation of horrible things.

Visuals : After following up one of the worst looking films I've seen - this completely amazes me ! The visuals are the strongest part of this film , with tons of amazing shots and an extremely energetic camera. The hilariously bad clay stuff has almost been entirely removed from this - and replaced with actually good looking special effects. As for how scary the movie looks - I would say it's less scary than the first , not that it's a bad thing. I'd rather watch a beautifully shot movie that's less scary looking - than something that changes from very horrifying to comedic looking.

Synopsis : Another disappointment - though incredibly better than the first in the visual department (it's also not nightmarishly annoying like the first). The long pauses break up the movie into a boring film with no story to keep you excited while your waiting.

See, i can actually understand these points- even though it's like on par my favourite film of all time. The film is mostly compromised of Ash doing stuff and a bare story. Almost everything except for Ash int he story inconsequential. But you've seem to have completely negated any of the film's cult charm. Iffy visuals are the pride of the film and the fact they work extremely well in the context is more power to it. If by the long pauses you mean the 'cabin fever' etc, then well you've missed the magnetic screen presence Bruce Campbell has. I strongly urge you to re-watch this film for what it's worth. The uneasiness in the narrative is part of it's strength allowing growing empathy with Ash, who for all intensive purposes is an extremely flawed hero. I'm glad you noted the camera work because it does create a rather exciting film to watch, especially in the 'boring bits'. Again, if you decide to re-review one film, i hope it's this. It really needs to be watched for Ash and the sheer comedic/ horrific ingenuity from all involved- try listening to the commentary, at the very least it's entertaining.

I wrote a paper on this less than a week ago, so could use some cult theory to back up why it's so good despite it's "flaws".

The Dark Knight is in your top 100 movies?

That is ridiculous.
The couple shots of batman looking down on the city , Joker on a deserted street , the already great dialouge for the Joker - as long as the movie contains these in the actuall movie : it already deserves a spot on my top 100 list.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Then your 100 list is a complete joke.

You have a TRAILER on a list of 100 films. That is a slap to the face of anyone who has made a movie, ever.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
There are A LOT I don't agree with (go figure) here they are
•Superbad
•Spider-man 3
•There Will Be Blood
•Rush Hour
•Matrix Reloaded
•Sweeney Todd
•The Dark Knight
•Hot Fuzz
•South Park

The Punisher > Hot Fuzz
Hells yea!

Welcome to the human race...
The Punisher > Hot Fuzz

I guess your that kind of person.
The Dark Knight trailer > The Punisher

I guess you're that kind of person.

But seriously, Lennon...why?

A system of cells interlinked
Then your 100 list is a complete joke.
Just his Top 100 is a joke?

But seriously, Lennon...why?
I'm still unsure, I know I'm supposed to hate it, but to me The Punisher is: (using my Meatwad mode setting)

+Thomas Jane, John Travolta and even Will Patton ruled their roles
+Good soundtrack that fit the movie
+John Travolta's hair!
+Lots of good action

A

but in all seriousness, here is my real review

The Punisher

"Si vis pacem, para bellum. If you want peace, prepare for war."

The Punisher is an interesting movie, as it was based off of a comic book, but Spiderman, it isn't. It was a John Travolta movie, but dancing, there is none. It has a first-time director, but isn't total crap.

Looking back on the Punisher MoFo thread, I was kind of disappointed and happy at the same time, in the fact that many people didn't like the casting choice of Thomas Jane. I am however, happy that he did pull off the role properly and have silenced most of the naysayers. The movie is worth the rental fee just to see these two go at it.
Let me just say I like John Travolta, and he does great work here. The villain part was pulled off perfectly, even when he does the dramatic thing with his son dieing and him getting frustrated by trying to kill Castle, numerous numerous times.

The problem with this movie is that none of the cast can really be as good as Thomas Jane and John Travolta. Everyone except for Ben Foster, that is. Especially, Castle's family, (played by Marcus Johns and Samantha Mathis) were just too cheesy for me. But, it wasn't that bad, or that good either.

I am an action nut, and let me just say this movie has some of the best action scenes I have ever, well, seen. The guns were big and plentiful, the explosions were even bigger and more plentiful. So, speciall effects people, to you I give, .

With Travolta's performance said I must add another thing to that tidbit. His hair! I think his hair is just awesome, the way it is all frizzy when he goes insane. The way he fixes it when he is stressed and "fixes" his problems. If you don't belive me, look in the beginning at his hair, notice how perfect it is. In the end, look how ungalmourous it is, after everyone he knew is pretty much dead.

I also like the fact that the Punisher, takes no prisoners, he kills everyone he sees fit to die. He is like a new breed of hero, a hero and a villain. Or a villero if you want to invent a new word. Much like Paul Kersey of Death Wish fame.

Another problem lies in the script, which was a blessing and a curse. I liked that Michael France didn't write dialouge during most of the battles. That was were a lot of comic book movies went wrong, during those battles you would groan at the cheesy dialouge. This is also a curse because cheesy dialouge not in the battle scenes, doesn't mean there are none. You will groan.

Finally, I like the soundtrack, I thought it fit the movie really well. Especially the end credit song, In Time by Mark Collie fits perfectly, as does Broken by Evanescence. Click the links if you don't belive me.

My favorite scene would have to be Frank Castle's family death scene. No I do not wish them all dead. It is just that we get to see Cheif Brody grab a gun and start shooting.

&feature=related

Bottom line: An emo action movie. But a good emo action movie

Rating:

What others thought: The Gnat
McClanes review removed as he doesn't like it anymore

I've been pretty far behind on my movies viewed - to reviewed ratio : here are some reviews that will be up soon
----------------------------------------------------

Batman Begins (3 views)

Fireworks - Hana Bi (1 view)

Apacolypse Now (4 views)

Shanghai Kiss (1 view)

A History of Violence (2 views)

Being John Malkovich (1 view)

Mulholland Drive (2 views)

Shanghai Kiss (1 view)
If I may intrude, can you review this first, I know Panettiere wasn't at her best, but it is DEFINATLY not a thumbs down...

Shanghai Kiss (1 view)

Plot : Liam Liu is an "actor" who can't even get in a commercial , though he's in no short supply of money (thanks to his dad - who he has a troubled past history with). One day he leaves his american life behind to go live in Shanghai and possibly start a new one.

Story : The movie starts off fine , Liam Liu is played very well by Ken Leung : but even as good as he can act the character - the dialogue and events of the movie are what really shape Liam Liu , and I could care less about what happened to him about half way through. Really what I get from the movie is Liam is just finding stuff to do with all his free-time. He doesn't have to work , thanks to his dad giving him all the money he needs and now having inherited his grandmother's house. It doesn't seem like a very important topic to make a movie about.

Visuals : At times there are some really good looking scenes (especially in the parts of the movie that happen in Shanghai) , but nothing to brag about. The movie is pretty much all dialogue as well and seems to pay more attention to that - than making the movie look fun at the same time.

Synopsis : A great acting performance is all for nothing - in this story that goes from pretty good to horrendously boring.

The movie wasn't about Liam just "finding stuff to do," it was about him learning about his heratige, and how he grows from basically hating it to loving it.

I love how all you guys are always trying to tell "the meat" (to his friends) how to rate his movies. The real goal here people is to keep him watching them right? Who the F*** cares what he or anyone for that matter thinks about them. Just keep watching them. Keep them coming Mr. The Meat.

Welcome to the human race...
From what I've gathered, the reason a number of people disagree with "the meat" and try to correct him is because of one simple reason - he doesn't seem to understand the movies he's watching and reviewing. A lot of corrections aimed at him stem from the fact that there are parts of each movie he just doesn't "get". Often his reasons for disliking an otherwise well-loved movie are because he gets the wrong idea.

At least, this is the way I read it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Even so, I like it when people have the courage of their convictions. I just hope their convictions are stronger than "I'm bored". I will admit though to having some feelings of boredom while watching some sacred cows myself, and I'm sure the same goes for everyone.

From what I've gathered, the reason a number of people disagree with "the meat" and try to correct him is because of one simple reason - he doesn't seem to understand the movies he's watching and reviewing. A lot of corrections aimed at him stem from the fact that there are parts of each movie he just doesn't "get". Often his reasons for disliking an otherwise well-loved movie are because he gets the wrong idea.

At least, this is the way I read it.
Even so, I like it when people have the courage of their convictions. I just hope their convictions are stronger than "I'm bored". I will admit though to having some feelings of boredom while watching some sacred cows myself, and I'm sure the same goes for everyone.
And I don't necessarily disagree with either of you on any particular points you guys just made. I was a little tired this morning and cranky. So I wasn't trying to tell anyone to F-off or anything. I think in looking back at "the meat's" posting career here we could all agree that he is coming out of his shell in his reviews and he is also getting a lot of exposure to a lot of different movies. So just give him time, he's a young man.

Personally, I'm a little amazed he reviews some of the films he does because for me after seeing some of the movies that he has, I honestly didn't know what to make of them much less be able to write a review. I wouldn't be at all surprised if a lot of his outlooks change if he manages to get older and keeps watching movies. So in essence all I'm trying to get at here is I feel its counter productive to constantly try to shape the way he writes about any particular film. I don't have any answers though so feel free to just ignore me.

A system of cells interlinked
Good points, PW, as usual. I agree to a point. As you can see by my comments, my main gripe has been about the constant comparison to other films when he reviews. It's more of a comparison thread than a straight up review thread. At least, it WAS. As you said, he has improved, and, silly negative rep hits aside, he makes an interesting addition to the site...

In the Beginning...
Those of you who know me also know that I'm always willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt. And I was honestly quite close to siding with Powdered Water... until I noticed that he gave Being John Malkovich a thumbs-down.

He's dead to me.