The Prestige's Prestigious films to immerse you

→ in
Tools    

Thanks for the reviews Prestige not a big fan of Wolf Creek sorry.
I watched Scarface again yesterday

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Scarface, good. Haven't seen any of the others and I'm not really into horror so probably never will, but you're doing quite a good job with your little write ups at saying why you like them

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I don't know about DePalma's Scarface. I mean, it's passed itself down into movie legacy, but inso doing it, it's eradicated the concept of Howard Hawks'/Paul Muni's original film, and I see that as a shame. Scarface was always about something primitive and brutal, but this "newer, high-tech" version seems to be all about the electronic score, the "coolness" factor, Pacino's "over-the-topness" and the idea that kids love movies about drugs. I don't actually hate DePalma's Scarface, like others such as Holden do, but I hate the way it's perceived, especially as a teacher. Sorry. I mean, Scarface was always a cautionary tale, but I don't know a single teenager who just doesn't think it's the coolest thing around, even if it IS, God forbid, an "OLD Movie".

Welcome to the human race...
I don't know about DePalma's Scarface. I mean, it's passed itself down into movie legacy, but inso doing it, it's eradicated the concept of Howard Hawks'/Paul Muni's original film, and I see that as a shame. Scarface was always about something primitive and brutal, but this "newer, high-tech" version seems to be all about the electronic score, the "coolness" factor, Pacino's "over-the-topness" and the idea that kids love movies about drugs. I don't actually hate DePalma's Scarface, like others such as Holden do, but I hate the way it's perceived, especially as a teacher. Sorry. I mean, Scarface was always a cautionary tale, but I don't know a single teenager who just doesn't think it's the coolest thing around, even if it IS, God forbid, an "OLD Movie".
Scarface is still a cautionary tale - it tells kids what *not* to do when they become gangsters.

"Lesson number one: Don't underestimate the other guy's greed!"
"Lesson number two: Don't get high on your own supply."

Words to live by (which Tony Montana doesn't).

On a random tangent, this makes me wonder if there were people who felt the same way about the original when it first came out (maybe other such young, impressionable males that make up most of the new version's fanbase). Even Al Capone himself (who is essentially the real Scarface, but I'm assuming you already know that) liked the film so much he owned a copy of it, which even I can gather was a pretty big feat in the 1930s.

Maybe it's just the people, not the film.

Heh, i just watched Scarface last night, except for a few dated bits of editing (some of it almost seemed straight from a grindhouse flick) thought it belonged higher on my list. Though, if it was might have got the hate on it you're getting

Have to say Wolf Creek is under-rated, in as much as it's better than most the trashy MTV-stylised remakes about. But that said i didn't think it was particularly good. Easy Rider meets Texas Chain Saw Massacre good idea but does it work..... nahh. I bumped out a review when i first saw it here though have been planning on seeing it again.

Sure you know my thoughts on Switchblade Romance, blown away by it all but the ending is still a let down. Thinking about it, i feel like watching it again, might get the place on my list it's been teetering on.

Heh, i just watched Scarface last night, except for a few dated bits of editing (some of it almost seemed straight from a grindhouse flick) thought it belonged higher on my list. Though, if it was might have got the hate on it you're getting

Have to say Wolf Creek is under-rated, in as much as it's better than most the trashy MTV-stylised remakes about. But that said i didn't think it was particularly good. Easy Rider meets Texas Chain Saw Massacre good idea but does it work..... nahh. I bumped out a review when i first saw it here though have been planning on seeing it again.

Sure you know my thoughts on Switchblade Romance, blown away by it all but the ending is still a let down. Thinking about it, i feel like watching it again, might get the place on my list it's been teetering on.
Lol yeah mate, I was very well aware that Wolf Creek wasn't going to be popular amongst most MoFo...but Scarface?! I think it's a film that deserves the praise it gets and is in no way overrated. I know that theres a sense of glee to the violence, but I feel it only furthers the theme of excess. I haven't seen the original, to be brutally honest, but I doubt i'll like it as much as I like this. This made it onto my Top 100 for a reason, yo.

I'm surprised you didn't like Wolf Creek all that much. I would have thought that you'd love it because you seem to like them gritty, survival horror types.

SPOILERS FOR WOLF CREEK

My only beef with Creek is it's unsatisfactory resolution. I know it's supposed to be paritially based on a true story, but I felt that with all the nastiness that Mick had put the characters through, a more conventional ending would have sufficed with Mick deservedly getting his comeuppance. It just seemed like McLean tried too hard to avoid cliches towards the end. It worked well until then.

And yes, do watch Switchblade Romance again, mate. You might find that the twist undermined the chase and tension scenes a little bit. I found them to be a lot less effective because of the knowledge, but was still gobsmacked at the technical achievement in producing those scary scenes.

And of course, it's worth making it onto your list just for the talented and gorgeous Cecile de France.

Speakin' of horrors, what did you think of All The Boys Love Mandy Lane?

I know that the ending for Switchblade Romance is a bit out there to say the least, but weren't you at least surprised by it? I can see where you're coming from though. Thinking about it now, the twist does undermine it when it comes to repeat viewings. You're not scared anymore because of what the twist reveals about those scenes. I get that, but on initial viewing, it's an experience.
******************POSSIBLE SPOILERS***********************

For me it was the other way around. When I saw it the second time, I enjoyed it a lot more because I knew that I didn't like the ending and, therefore, I knew not to expect anything. I was able to see it without being disapointed. As for being suprised by the ending, yes I was, and that was part of the problem. It felt as if it was given that suprise ending because that's what was in vogue at the time. It didn't chime with either the film or the genre and looked (to me) like a director that either a) didn't really know how to finish his film, so did that in the hope that no one would realise it; or b) wanted to make his film look 'intelligent' or make the viewer think that he'd fooled them. When, in fact, he'd made it like one of those bad Columbo episodes where the killer is someone that wasn't in the episode until he was caught. It just felt as if it'd been tacked on for reasons other than being the real end of the film. If that makes any sense.

I may give it another look though, as I will with Wolf Creek. Maybe I can see what it is that everyone else was raving about.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I don't know about DePalma's Scarface. I mean, it's passed itself down into movie legacy, but inso doing it, it's eradicated the concept of Howard Hawks'/Paul Muni's original film, and I see that as a shame.
I'm not sure that a remake can eradicate a previous film...if it could, the movie world would be in serious trouble...

My review of Scarface. (because I don't want to repeat myself)

I hate the way it's perceived, especially as a teacher. Sorry. I mean, Scarface was always a cautionary tale, but I don't know a single teenager who just doesn't think it's the coolest thing around,
Well, there are always kids who like films for the wrong reasons. Kids with a Tarantino fetish who think Kill Bill is cool and probably like Taxi Driver for similarly bad reasons (does this make it a bad film?). Scarface isn't cool, though. It is fabulously, awfully uncool in all its eighties glory. Perhaps the clothes/cars etc. were supposed to be cool at the time, I don't know, I was 2. But to either love or hate Scarface for its 'coolness' (and I know this isn't you, mark) is to miss the point of the film entirely.

Excellent responses guys. I'm really enjoying the discussions taking place.

Thursday, I agree with your points on Scarface. The trashy nature of the film does give it it's flavour and is used to convey it's morality tale. However, I want to comment on what you said about younger people misinterpreting the themes of films.

You're somewhat right when you say that just because people like so and so films for the wrong reasons, it doesn't make a bad film. However, I feel that it automatically doesn't make a great film in return. Because if people see the film and take it the complete wrong way, I feel that that film has not done a good job on conveying it's points and moral stance. This usually leads to me giving it an entire star less than I normally would.

Compare American History X to Shane Meadows' outstanding This Is England. If you go on ANY AHX board, you'll notice a strong number of racist people raise the film and use it as inspiration to fuel hatred.

However, if you look at nearly all the TIE boards, it's completely the opposite despite having the same subject matter. The difference is execution. TIE is successful in conveying that racism is abhorrent and repugnant, whereas AHX comes across as if it sympathizes with those who are drawn the the extreme right. I'm not saying that that was it's intention, but that's what comes across. At least to me.

So yeah, I think such films have to take a bit of flake for influencing minds in such a way. But Scarface is different and I feel has been represented in a fair way.

Lol yeah mate, I was very well aware that Wolf Creek wasn't going to be popular amongst most MoFo...but Scarface?! I think it's a film that deserves the praise it gets and is in no way overrated. I know that theres a sense of glee to the violence, but I feel it only furthers the theme of excess. I haven't seen the original, to be brutally honest, but I doubt i'll like it as much as I like this. This made it onto my Top 100 for a reason, yo.

I'm surprised you didn't like Wolf Creek all that much. I would have thought that you'd love it because you seem to like them gritty, survival horror types.

SPOILERS FOR WOLF CREEK

My only beef with Creek is it's unsatisfactory resolution. I know it's supposed to be paritially based on a true story, but I felt that with all the nastiness that Mick had put the characters through, a more conventional ending would have sufficed with Mick deservedly getting his comeuppance. It just seemed like McLean tried too hard to avoid cliches towards the end. It worked well until then.

And yes, do watch Switchblade Romance again, mate. You might find that the twist undermined the chase and tension scenes a little bit. I found them to be a lot less effective because of the knowledge, but was still gobsmacked at the technical achievement in producing those scary scenes.

And of course, it's worth making it onto your list just for the talented and gorgeous Cecile de France.

Speakin' of horrors, what did you think of All The Boys Love Mandy Lane?
Hey, don't get me wrong- i love Scarface but 80% of it is because of its glorious 80s cheesiness. Think you missed the point of Wolf Creek- the killer was an alien....
I have seen Switchblade at least 5 or 6 times already and do think it is nigh on perfectly executed until the twist. Everytime after watching it, i just get too bugged out and annoyed by the ending. Have you seen Dead End btw? That's a brilliant horror flick.

Cecile de France though. Her?

As for All The Boys Love Mandy Lane clicky >>> . Gonna probably buy it now it's in the 3 for £20 at HMV though.

Think you missed the point of Wolf Creek- the killer was an alien....
Huh?

Do you mean alien in a literal sense or metaphorically?

Have you seen Dead End btw?
Yeah, saw it about a year ago on the Sci Fi channel. It was alright, but I don't remember being that impressed by it. I was a bit tired when I watched it though and didn't give it my full attention, so I will have to sit and watch it again.

Cecile de France though. Her?

Yeah man! It's funny because she ain't even my type. I mean she's not got womanly curves or nowt and she dresses way too eccentric, but she's got very pleasing face features. She's unconventionally attractive and it's a shame I can't find any sex scenes with her. I had a dream once that she kept asking me to take her to a restaurant for some stake and kidney pie, but I wanted to play football instead. Weird dream, I know.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I may have exaggerated my point here, but then again, maybe not. I have seen the original Scarface at least six or seven times, and I've seen the DePalma version at least five times. The Prestige says he never has seen the original, so everybody else who's weighing in here, have you seen the original or not, and if so, how many times have you watched both films? I'll guarantee you that if I don't bring the original film to my students' attention, there are rarely more than one or two in any single year who have ever heard of it (the lead character is Tony Camonte). On the other hand, all my students know WTF Tony Montana is and love "say hello to my little friend!"

Welcome to the human race...
I may have exaggerated my point here, but then again, maybe not. I have seen the original Scarface at least six or seven times, and I've seen the DePalma version at least five times. The Prestige says he never has seen the original, so everybody else who's weighing in here, have you seen the original or not, and if so, how many times have you watched both films? I'll guarantee you that if I don't bring the original film to my students' attention, there are rarely more than one or two in any single year who have ever heard of it (the lead character is Tony Camonte). On the other hand, all my students know WTF Tony Montana is and love "say hello to my little friend!"
I've seen the original once, and the remake eight times.

I've seen the original once and the remake...? God knows how many times. I really wasn't that impressed with the original tbh. Not that that would stop me watching it again.

Sorry i've been slacking as of late. Lets get a few down us, eh?

44. Lost Highway (David Lynch 1997)

So my favourite David Lynch finds its way onto my definitive list. And in a very high position too. Make no mistake, though, I am usually a detractor of Lynch, but this film did the business for me. It's a visionary piece of art and isn't completely impossible to analyse. Simply put, I don't feel inadequate watching this film because there are a whole range of ways to interpretate the narrative unlike his other oddball and 'avant garde' films.

A fine paradigm of neo noir with it's metamorphorised protagonist, Lost Highway had me glued to my seat, frightened and mesmerized by all of it's features. One feature was the dream-like and soft focused photography, that somewhat encapsulates everything about the film and it's themes. It's all typically Lynchian but somehow it works wonderfully well here. Themes of escapism and idealism are realised in absurd yet poetic ways.

It's a very sexy film too. Patricia Arquette has never had me searching her up on google before, but she's completely beguiling (and naked) in this feature. Her sultry looks combined with the soft photography is just immersive and much more erotic than anything Shannon bleedin' Tweed has been in. Fantastic performances all round too, with Bill Pullman being the strongest of the lot. And yes, it's even better than Mullholland Drive.

43. Chopper (Andrew Dominik, 2000)

Andrew Dominik seems to have a taste for renowned outlaws. From Mark 'Chopper' Brandon Reed to Jesse James, Dominik doesn't hide his fascination for the darker souls. However, the main difference between this film and the elegant Assassination Of Jesse James is that Dominik's style here is a lot more hyper and the film is dominated solely by it's star/subject - One Eric Bana. Completely unrecognisation what with a SERIOUS weight gain and grunt attitude, Bana makes a thrilling star turn in gritty yet comical take on Chopper's life.

The ****ed up thing about Chopper is your familiarity with the guy. We've met this guy somewhere before. Whether it be in a pub or at some convention. Chopper likes to go on as if he's one of those cool and easy going Australians, a real Crocodile Dundee type, and pretend to be your best friend. He'll even offer you a beer without you asking - Only to turn into a homocidal maniac at the flip of a switch.

But Bana and Dominik's genius is not in showing split sides of the man, but subtly suggesting a many of layers that are often conveyed through controlled emotion than dialogue. You get the feeling that Chopper is a lot sensitive than he makes out, despite his dodgy life style. Take the scene where his 'mate' betrays him by impaling him with a knife. Chopper ignores the physical paind but quietly acknowledges he is far more upset at the betrayal.

The best scene is the finale, though. You know when people say that laughter and sarcasm are usually done as a defence mechanism? Well it's never been truer when Dominik exposes Chopper's sense of insecurity and lonliness.

But enough can't be said of Bana's portrayal. He really immerses himself into the role, bringing a strong mix of blokely machoisms and repressed innocence. He's haliriously funny throughout too. If there was ever any indication as to how this man was once an up and coming comedian, this is it.

42. Toy Story (John Lasseter, 1995)

The fist feature length film to use computer generated animation is still ahead of the game and the animated film to beat. Shrek, The Incredibles and Monster's Inc may be more familiar with the masses today. But let us not forget who started it.

Surprisingly, the visual feast of Toy Story isn't the most impressive thing about it. It's Joss Whedon's ingenious and strikingly witty script that raises the film from pretty looking kids adventure to essential cinema for EVERYBODY.

The toys themselves are instantly likeable, each with their own quirks and rubber distinctions. From Slinky The Dog to Mr Potatoe Head, these characters are loveable. That said, the toy praising should really be reserved for Tom Hank's sympathetic and wonderfully sarcastic Woody and Tim Allen's ignorant and halirious Buzz Lightyear. It's in their scenes where Toy Story rivals any buddy flick for best comeidc duo act. There are a lot of adult themes touched on aswell. The sense of being over looked to name but a few and the foray into existential crises isn't a norm of Disney. But when you have Joss Whedon as your writer, you've already got something special on your way.

Excellente, again. Glad you're a fan of Lost Highway, sadly seems to be pretty forgotten amongst Lynch's other more notable work. Love the amazing stylistic tone and atmosphere it has, it's on my list but a lot higher
Figured Chopper would crop up on here, does TAOJJBTCRF make an appearance as well? I watched it recently, but sadly only half watched, think on a repeat reviewing it's look at a spot in my Top 40.

Excellente, again. Glad you're a fan of Lost Highway, sadly seems to be pretty forgotten amongst Lynch's other more notable work. Love the amazing stylistic tone and atmosphere it has, it's on my list but a lot higher
Figured Chopper would crop up on here, does TAOJJBTCRF make an appearance as well? I watched it recently, but sadly only half watched, think on a repeat reviewing it's look at a spot in my Top 40.
Cheers mate. Yeah you're right, Lost Highway doesn't seem to get much love. And yes, TAOJJBTCRF has got a VERY high spot on this list. Absolutely adored that film. Dominik matured with this one. And it's only his 2nd feature aswell. So many new films have impacted me recently. Glad you liked the film too, a lot of people find it hard to watch because of the lack of plot.

Cheers mate. Yeah you're right, Lost Highway doesn't seem to get much love. And yes, TAOJJBTCRF has got a VERY high spot on this list. Absolutely adored that film. Dominik matured with this one. And it's only his 2nd feature aswell. So many new films have impacted me recently. Glad you liked the film too, a lot of people find it hard to watch because of the lack of plot.
Yeah, i'm holding off finishing my list till i fill the last 2 spots and think Jesse James currently in main contention with another surprising film (to me as well) for those spots. Or Pee-Wee's Big Adventure

Yeah, i'm holding off finishing my list till i fill the last 2 spots and think Jesse James currently in main contention with another surprising film (to me as well) for those spots. Or Pee-Wee's Big Adventure
So Jesse James might be your number 1 or 2 then? I'm curious about your suprising film now...is it a recent film?

Lol and were you joking about that Pee Wee film?