Geek Speak

Tools    

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by Sir Toose
Since I'm updating geek stuff I'm now hardware certified. A+ in the bag. Now I'm studying i-net+
Wow.. I'm speechless.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Boy do my days of making silly either-or-choice stories with Basic seem....basic (fortunately i wiped them all one day by writing the wrong thing on the prompt line. Live and learn. Or alternatively - blame your 'puter and think about burning it )

Okay

SQL Server 2000 IS THE BOMB.

Has anyone used it? Chris? DTS Packages? I'm going to automate myself out of a job.
Nah, not really. I've got a book on it, though. You can have it.
Oh, Chris, while I'm on the subject.... have you created any database stuff with XML yet? I'm getting my feet wet and I'm really liking the flexibility of it.
Eh, Sorta kinda. I've played with XML a bit, but for the most part I've just tried to take XML data and format it with XSLT. Gave up quickly, though, because I wasn't really trying to accomplish anything specific.

If I had to, I expect I could take data from an SQL backend and turn it into XML with PHP (which actually has built in functions to handle and parse XML), but I haven't really done so yet. Only once did I have any reason to, and I found a way to do what I wanted without it.

Seems like content syndication is where it's finding it's niche.

Check the screenshots.

The first one is a connection to a remote server and a variety of steps to achieve an end result. Basically I connect to a server, grab a source database, drop my current tables, create new ones with the same criteria and populate it with new data all by pushing the green play button at the top. That's raw freaking power. I'm talking about 1/2 million records being parsed, formatted, and transformed into a single table.

It's like your dad giving you the keys to the Lamborghini and telling you "go slow, son *wink*"

The second is a shot of one of the transformations via column mapping.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	SQLScrnshot.gif
Views:	79
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	1811   Click image for larger version

Name:	SQLScrnshot2.gif
Views:	69
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	1812  

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
/me is impressed.

I wish I was a geek. I'm just a nerd.

Originally Posted by evergreengrad
Well, I am proud to say I am a geek in training. I had no previous techie experience so I started school as green as could be. After a couple of months and 2 certs down I am loving it. I can almost understand most of what you guys are talking about. Of course most code is beyond my current abilities (except for binary of course). Due to the courses I have taken up to this point I am definitly more hardware oriented, but I enjoy reading the posts.
Aha! Welcome to geekdom!

We need new members. If I'm not mistaken, you do have to install and administer SQL server for MCSE, correct? It's really a cool tool and it's so powerful it's frightening.

If you ever work for one of these multi gazillion dollar organizations like I now work for... pretty please tell your co-workers that push technology makes the worker bees feel like stinging (especially in the arena of OS patches that take a better part of a morning to run). Push as a last resort should be the focus.

thank you

[/soapbox]

Originally Posted by OG-
/me is impressed.

I wish I was a geek. I'm just a nerd.
DITTO

I am having a nervous breakdance
A$$hole.

I'm sure you're saying I'm never off of it, aren't you?

No, I was saying that even you are occasionally funny.

Buttmunch.

Hmm... the closest I've come is taking a very easy Intro to Computer Information Systems class... hardly geeky. I got an A in it, though.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Cranky Geeks - Quite simply the best webcast on the ... ermmm ... web.

Later on today I'm gonna flash my router, which is apparently illegal in the majority of US states...

I'm thinking of slipping the router a Mickey first.

Aye, good idea, T.

I've been geeking it up a lot lately with all the new MoFo features, though most of them are pretty old hat; taking database records, outputting them, and formatting them with templates.

I did have to get pretty creative for MoFo Lists, however. It's a big confluence of PHP and JavaScript.

I was going to try to break down the logic of the application step-by-step, but as I started I realized it would be ridiculous to read, and hard to follow, so I'll try to sketch out a somewhat rougher overview...

At one point in the process, I was simply planning to wipe out all related entries everytime someone submitted a list, and then insert whichever ones had been checked. After all, the version being submitted is the latest version, so why not dump the others?

Well, for three reasons: first, unless I checked for the existence of each entry, it'd have duplicates. The way the system works now is that there's a table for movies, and a table which logs movies seen; the "seen" table needs to apply to ALL lists, so it doesn't bother with associating itself with any particular list. Second, I wanted to know when each item was added, and I couldn't wipe everything out each time a new list was submitted without losing that. And third, I wanted to be able to track the addition and removal of items, which you can see on the list updates page.

So, to do all this, I would need a few things. I already know which items are checked when the list is submitted; that part's easy. But now I need to also know which items were checked when the page first loaded. I need to know for two reasons: so that I can compare this list to the new one, so that I know when someone has UNchecked an item, and so that I can make sure not to delete the items that were checked, and stayed checked.

It breaks down like this:

- Items that were unchecked and stay unchecked, get ignored.
- Items that were unchecked and get checked, are inserted into the "seen" table.
- Items that were checked and stay checked, are excluded from the "delete" list.
- Items that were checked and get unchecked, are added to the delete list/deleted from the "seen" table.

I ended up tracking which items were checked originally upon page load by having hidden fields which share an ID number with them. These are all stored in an array, and when looping through the list upon submission, I use the PHP function array_key_exists() to see if the movie's ID can be found in the array. If it can't, that means it was NOT checked when the page loaded, and I can safely add it to the delete list (just a variable containing ID numbers).

If it CAN find the ID in the array, then, then it was checked to begin with. So, I check it against a copy of the submitted list; if it's not on there, that means it was checked, but was removed; so I add the ID to another variable ($removedmovies) for later, and add it to the aforementioned delete list variable.

After all that, whatever's left can simply be inserted. I added those IDs to another variable ($addedmovies). When I'm done, I insert both $removedmovies and $addedmovies (both comma-delimited) into the updates table.

There's more, but this gives you an idea of all the little details needed to get this sucker working. It looks so very simple at first glance, but it ended up being one of the more involved applications I've written in some time. It's ironic, too, because the intial version was very simple. At first, the movies were just stored as text titles, with duplicates and everything. There was no carryover from one list to another when you checked off a movie that was on both. Changing this fact ultimately complicated everything about the application, but has made it much more robust.

There's some little JavaScript touches, too. For example, when the edit page loads, there's a hidden, empty form field. Everytime an item is checked or unchecked, a JavaScript function is triggered. First, this function checks to see if the item in question has been checked, or unchecked, and switches the CSS classname of the movie title so that it's either plain, or crossed out. Then, it changes the value of the empty form field to "1." This lets the script know that you've made a change -- any change.

The result is that whenever you change lists using the dropdown menu on the right, the script checks to see if the value of the form field is 1 -- if it is, it knows you've checked (or unchecked) something, and asks you if you're sure you want to leave the page without saving your progress. It's a small touch, but these are the kinds of little extras I live for.

Code available upon request if you want it, T. Dunno how useful or interesting it would be, especially to someone who isn't wading knee-deep in it, but it was an interesting project for me for a few reasons. One of which being that it started off as uber-simple, became suddenly and frustratingly complex, but when finished, felt surprisingly elegant. I still think there are some significant inefficiencies in it, but I'm fairly pleased with where it is. There's lots of room for expansion and the like.

What about you, eh? What are you up to, geek-wise?

A system of cells interlinked
I watched an episode of Star Trek: Voyager recently...

I always love your mods and your home grown code. It's fun being on the outside of the process and watching it come together. Believe me, I'm well aware how things can look very simple yet require backend logic that most people don't think of unless they get involved in the process.

I doubt seeing the code would be of any benefit to me as I have yet to traverse the PHP waters. I have the PHP book from Sitepoint but haven't even cracked it open yet. From a similar perspective as yours though I can definitely see that you put a lot of work into this place and I frequently say to myself "hey that's cool, wonder how he did that".

As for me, I'm working on wrapping my head around .NET. ASP.NET in particular with C# on the back end. I'm still heavily involved in DB work but the limitations in reporting (Crystal etc) were beginning to bother me so I started learning ASP so that I could display data from the collection of databases that I run. It's turned into somewhat of an obsession as I never realized how powerful Visual Studio is straight out of the box. Right within an application you can design and host a SQl Server DB, manipulate it anyway that you can think of with a variety of available programming languages, display data on the web etc. Right now I'm drinking from a fire hydrant there's so much to learn about all of it. The catch is, of course, that your web server has to be running the .NET 2.0 framework but even that is becoming more commonplace these days. I built a little webserver and shoved it under my desk to host all my little intranet projects and it's really been a blast.

I'll probably start poking around at Ruby on Rails soon too, more as a personal interest project than anything else. I've read up on it a bit and the technology behind it look pretty cool.

Also, totally off of that train of thought I'm still playing with Flash for fun and was surprised to learn that you can integrate flash controls to work with SQl Server data. Not up to speed on that at all yet but it's another rat hole I want to go down.

I always love your mods and your home grown code. It's fun being on the outside of the process and watching it come together. Believe me, I'm well aware how things can look very simple yet require backend logic that most people don't think of unless they get involved in the process.

I doubt seeing the code would be of any benefit to me as I have yet to traverse the PHP waters. I have the PHP book from Sitepoint but haven't even cracked it open yet. From a similar perspective as yours though I can definitely see that you put a lot of work into this place and I frequently say to myself "hey that's cool, wonder how he did that".
The sad thing is, there are a couple times where I went back and looked at my own code and went "how did I do that?" And not always in a good way.

Let me know how the SitePoint book is, if you would. I started learning PHP from the free tutorials that eventually became the book, and I'm curious as to how it turned out. Is it still using the example of a joke database, for example? I always thought that was a pretty good way of learning things. Second only to perhaps a database of books.

As for me, I'm working on wrapping my head around .NET. ASP.NET in particular with C# on the back end. I'm still heavily involved in DB work but the limitations in reporting (Crystal etc) were beginning to bother me so I started learning ASP so that I could display data from the collection of databases that I run. It's turned into somewhat of an obsession as I never realized how powerful Visual Studio is straight out of the box. Right within an application you can design and host a SQl Server DB, manipulate it anyway that you can think of with a variety of available programming languages, display data on the web etc. Right now I'm drinking from a fire hydrant there's so much to learn about all of it. The catch is, of course, that your web server has to be running the .NET 2.0 framework but even that is becoming more commonplace these days. I built a little webserver and shoved it under my desk to host all my little intranet projects and it's really been a blast.
The fire hydrant analogy is a very good one, I think. There's just so much out there; access to data just isn't the hurdle anymore. It's all about who allocates their time the best and latches onto the best technologies.

I'll probably start poking around at Ruby on Rails soon too, more as a personal interest project than anything else. I've read up on it a bit and the technology behind it look pretty cool.
Yeah, people are really talking about that. I dunno, though; I don't buy into anything anymore until I see it firsthand. So many people have created frameworks that work great, provided you buy into them completely. And to anyone who hasn't ever done that before, they're blown away when they first do. These things hook you, but then down the line you find yourself wanting to do something it can't, or to use another technology for something, and you realize you've boxed yourself in a bit. Not you, I mean, but the people who fall in love with these things.

I'm generalizing, and this may not apply to ROR at all, but it's just something I've seen with various new "hot" technologies. Even the ones that catch on don't usually end up doing everything they say they will. They seem to fall into a niche doing whatever they're best at. Case in point: Java's great for a quick GUI, but it's not running absolutely everything, like a lot of people seemed to think it would.

Also, totally off of that train of thought I'm still playing with Flash for fun and was surprised to learn that you can integrate flash controls to work with SQl Server data. Not up to speed on that at all yet but it's another rat hole I want to go down.
I admit to not knowing much about Flash, but from what I do know, they've done a great job of allowing (or at least not stopping) other languages and the like from "plugging into" them. PHP's one of them, I believe.

Anyway, Flash/ActionScript/whatever is pretty far over my head, but yeah, you can do some pretty cool things with it.

I'm actually very intrigued by the whole Flash dynamic. Before, anything that was particularly flashly or "smooth" on a website was Flash. HTML was always clunkier; the closest it came to emulating it was mouseover effects. Now, this Web 2.0 stuff with the JavaScript Prototype framework (which Scriptaculous and MooTools are both based on), and AJAX, has made the two harder to distinguish from one another. I've been wondering for awhile now as to whether or not that'll cut into Flash a bit, since there's a larger barrier of entry to it.

It'll be very interesting to see how that develops.