The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Yeah hearing a lot about Tekken's online
Not finding it too bad now. I suspect that very few people were online when I first tried and those that were lived in Asia (accoring to my 'players met' list) with either awful internet connections or just a lot of lag because of the distance.

It was fun getting unintelligible (for me) messages in Korean from guys who I'd beaten - yes I'm getting better. I presume they were calling me unpleasant names but it's the internet and I giggle in the face of unpleasant names!

A system of cells interlinked
LT and I finally got to travel through The Dark Portal, and over to Outlands.

AWESOME! We were both blown away, and proceeded to play for hours afterward. Shattrath City is mad cool!

Yeah Blazblue apparently doesn't cut Americans from Japanese/Korean players either, international beat down is always fun - Tekken should be arriving in the mail pretty soon, but then again it's gamefly - so maybe not.

Blazblue is something I've not tried yet but I've ordered a Hori arcade stick which should be arriving towards the end of the week so I'll be able to start taking these kind of games seriously again.

I think the technical term for my old stick is 'knackered'.

(demo)

The core game is very much improved, but buying this game on the console is a complete waste of money - Valve just does not respect their console games at all, the "dedicated" servers are garbage and free content on the PC version costs money for the console gamers.

Tekken 6

The first time I've really played Tekken and I really don't care for it at all. The fighting is very stiff and awkward, the fights are insanely short and simple combos take away more than half your health. Even for Tekken fans waiting for the answer to their TK5 netcode problem will be disappointed with the sluggish online play of this one.

tekken fans, wait for a patch if it ever comes

It's only stiff, awkward and short because you're no good at it yet.

I had the same problem when I was a teenager. Apart from the length, obviously. *cough*

I'll admit to going back to SF IV for online a couple of days ago but since you can only get to 1st Dan offline in Tekken 6 I'm gonna have to brave it. Maybe private lobbies are the way to go? I've rounded up a few people (and dragged them kicking and screaming from Borderlands) and plan to give it a try soon.

One thing I found out in T6 was to turn off motion blur - Once you do that you gain 2x AA on the character models and I don't see much difference in terms of visuals, apart from them looking much smoother close up.

Oh yeah, Dragon Age Origins (on PC) is my GOTY after only a few hours of play. It's sweet as a nut.

Aye, I've heard a lot of reports about the console versions not measuring up to the PC. Almost uniquely, the PS3 port is supposed to have a few less glitches than the 360's.

Still, it's a Bioware RPG.

WoW is taking up most of my time on the games front. I now have a level 50 Night Elf Druid, and 4 other characters, 3 around level 13 and 1 at 25. Though, I don't play as them, as I likes me Druid.

Uncharted 2. Awesome, 'nuff said.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Modern Warfare 2... beautiful... gamertag: spudracer67301... spud, out.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

The Adventure Starts Here!
I think my trial period for WoW came and went. I just wasn't that crazy about the controls and the graphics, and perhaps if it had the same pricing structure as Guild Wars I would have kept with it, but alas, it didn't seem worth starting to PAY for it.

Sorry, WoW fans, but I was not wowed by WoW.

Back to Nightfall, Prophecies, Factions, and Eye of the North in Guild Wars, where the online play is always free!

/commercial

Modern Warfare 2... beautiful... gamertag: spudracer67301... spud, out.
Pre-ordered my copy from Amazon, but now it's estimating a much later arrival date than I'd expected; November 17th! Ugh. We'll see. Gotta say, if it doesn't come by the end of the week, I'm gonna be pretty disappointed. Been waiting for this game for quite a long time.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Pre-ordered my copy from Amazon, but now it's estimating a much later arrival date than I'd expected; November 17th! Ugh. We'll see. Gotta say, if it doesn't come by the end of the week, I'm gonna be pretty disappointed. Been waiting for this game for quite a long time.
I went last night around 6 to trade in a game and pre-order my copy, just so I would know that there was going to be a copy for me. Got home and played for about an hour and a half. I wanted to play more but the body just wasn't having it.

Got Modern Warfare 2 for the 360 earlier. Cost me £25.99 at Morrisons. Yay, not played it yet though.

Dragon Age (360)

Bioware's long awaited RPG follows the standard math of their other games, party managing fighting and decision based storytelling - although I found this one to be surprisingly flat and often confusing. The combat was meant to be played on the PC, managing your party with a controller is a chore. You also are stuck in a awfully close camera for the entirety of the game, the dungeons are each very boring and repetitive, characters start off involved and interesting - but cease to give their opinions and talk to you toward the middle of the game. As for the story itself, well I'm on the tip of the end of the game and I really don't care how it's going to end, or even to finish it at all.

had it been released months ago I probably would have appreciated it more, no reason to think twice about turning CoD off to play this - RENT IT

A system of cells interlinked
I think my trial period for WoW came and went. I just wasn't that crazy about the controls and the graphics, and perhaps if it had the same pricing structure as Guild Wars I would have kept with it, but alas, it didn't seem worth starting to PAY for it.

Sorry, WoW fans, but I was not wowed by WoW.

Back to Nightfall, Prophecies, Factions, and Eye of the North in Guild Wars, where the online play is always free!

/commercial
I don't think you gave it enough of a chance.

Didn't you almost immediately get into that writing contest, not having a chance to play again really at all?

Did you multi-play at all?

The Adventure Starts Here!
Yeah, November started and then things got crazy here. I may give it another shot after November is over. Maybe sign on for a month or something and see how it goes.

Because you're right -- I didn't do any multiplayer at all. Would like to try that at some point, as long as the folks I play with understand that I suck.