Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Earthquake. A devastating earthquake rips through California and levels LA in this late 70s disaster movie starring Chelton Heston and George Kennedy. Mildly amusing (if sometimes unintentionally) epic that takes some time to get going and has some not particularly interesting characters, but it does have some great effects and set-pieces.*
I saw part of the towering inferno a couple months back. It was good fun the parts I saw. Wouldn’t mind going on a old school disaster movie binge. Will add this to the list.

I saw part of the towering inferno a couple months back. It was good fun the parts I saw. Wouldn’t mind going on a old school disaster movie binge. Will add this to the list.
Honestly, my favourite one so far has been City on Fire, which I just found enormous fun.

Mata Hari (George Fitzmaurice, 1931)

I damn near handed over some secret documents myself

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Honestly, my favourite one so far has been City on Fire, which I just found enormous fun.
I love disaster mo is. They always have a group of bungling idiots and the he-man who commits suicide because he's the biggest idiot. One I really enjoyed during a popcorn tour of salty popcorn and Viggo Mortensen was Daylight.

Unregistered User

Morvern Callar (2002)

Another powerful film from Ramsey. I would probably go as far to say that it's one of the most haunting films I've ever seen. Samantha Morton plays the lead role with so much emotion and intensity, its a wonder how she hasn't gone on to much bigger things. Such a bleak and heart-breaking film and I found its a hard one to love but there's no denying its an experience you wont forget. Its left me with so many more questions than answers.

+

To anyone who has watched it, can you help with.....

WARNING: "Morvern Callar" spoilers below
at the beginning of the movie, who is she talking to on the payphone? And who phones her back?

One of the more obscure disaster films I have seen is When Time Ran out. . It was a commercial flop evidently despite having William Holden, Paul Newman and Ernest Borgnine in the cast.. I found it a lot of fun. Unlike some of the turgid disaster flicks such as Earthquake which takes an hour to get moving, When Time Ran Out has plenty of early action and maintains it thruout. For mine Burgess Meredith steals the show. One scene that sticks in my mind is when Meridith's character (a former circus performer) piggybacks several children along a narrow rickety bridge while underneath lava spews flames metres into the air. (see below)

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

The Accidental Detective 2: In Action (e.Oni, 2018) - B+
A sequel to a 2016 action-comedy, reuniting leads Kwon Sang-Woo and Sung Dong-Il as a comic book store owner with Sherlock Holmes-deduction powers and a veteran detective. The sequel was quite fun. I haven't seen the original, but I'll be looking out for it. Lee Kwang-Soo added to comic relief as hacker Hopper.

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
I normally don't post reviews from my own thread here, but I really want to try to get this one on more people's radar.

Lean on Pete

Director: Andrew Haigh

This is inevitably going to be one of this year's most overlooked/under-watched films. But y'all for real, if you have a chance to see this, please do so, it's seriously good. A24 continues to stand out as the independent studio to keep tabs on as they deliver another masterful film that is arguably also their best one. If it's actually the best for me I'm not sure, I'm very much in love with other films like Lady Bird, but this has got to be in the Top three.

The film tells the story of a semi-poor, yet lovable and content teenager who gets a summer job involving a horse, don't let the simple plot distract you though, as this film beautifully captures the essence of someone being forced to grow up following difficult circumstances, it's exponentially resonant. The narrative takes some deeply emotional twists and turns, and the protagonist is just so likable, that you basically suffer with him, not going to lie, I was legit crying by the end of this film; not tearing up, not sad, full-on crying. Charlie Plummer delivers an absolutely fantastic performance, he is basically now at the top of my radar when it comes to promising young talent. The film normalizes tragedy in such a hard-hitting way, and it displays themes about how life could totally turn you on your head at any moment, regardless of how blessed you think you are. Forreal, if you guys want to watch a deeply human story about life and loss, please give this one a shot, it truly deserves one. I'm always hesitant on giving films a perfect score on the first watch, but even so, I think I have seen the first film released in 2018 that I would call a "masterpiece"

SCORE - 97/100

Found this on Netflix. Just average. A little insipid. Not very motivational or anything. 5/10. Just alright for an idle Sunday or something after the World Cup matches.

One of the more obscure disaster films I have seen is When Time Ran out. . It was a commercial flop evidently despite having William Holden, Paul Newman and Ernest Borgnine in the cast.. I found it a lot of fun. Unlike some of the turgid disaster flicks such as Earthquake which takes an hour to get moving, When Time Ran Out has plenty of early action and maintains it thruout. For mine Burgess Meredith steals the show. One scene that sticks in my mind is when Meridith's character (a former circus performer) piggybacks several children along a narrow rickety bridge while underneath lava spews flames metres into the air. (see below)

Never heard of that one!

movies can be okay...
Lean on Pete

Director: Andrew Haigh

This is inevitably going to be one of this year's most overlooked/under-watched films. But y'all for real, if you have a chance to see this, please do so, it's seriously good.
Yup I'd attest to this! If you haven't seen Haigh's earlier work, I'd recommend it as well, specifically 45 Years.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

The Babysitter (2017)

Haven't had this much fun with a slasher movie since Tucker and Dale vs Evil

Never heard of that one!
Take a look. You will enjoy it. After I wrote that I read that the film was loosely based on the massive volcanic eruption on the Caribbean island of Martinique in 1902. killing 30,000 people.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
The Babysitter (2017)

Haven't had this much fun with a slasher movie since Tucker and Dale vs Evil

Tucker and Dale is great fun. Cockneys versus zombies is another

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
Yup I'd attest to this! If you haven't seen Haigh's earlier work, I'd recommend it as well, specifically 45 Years.
After this movie?!? Hell yeah sign me UP!!

OK SO I most recently saw Incredibles 2 and Ocean's 8

Incredibles 2 I rate a 7/10
Reason: UM I just like the first one better. Liked the plot better. This one had some good parts (math, nom nom cooOOOkehhhh??, edna, violet blowing water out her nose and trying to destroy her super suit) but the whole villain name here..... SCREENSLAVER??? BRO..... SLAVER???? REALLY?? That's the best evil villain name y'all could think of?? and it didn't seem kinda..... insensitive???? anyone???.... just me I guess......

Ocean's 8 I rate a 5/10
Reason: As a woman and an intersectional feminist, I won't deny that I did hope this all women led spin-off would surpass that of the earlier all male Ocean's Eleven franchise, but I was let down (not that I even loved Ocean's Eleven to begin with). I'm also perturbed that a woman didn't direct this movie, and, come to think of it.... why couldn't someone write these women a completely original fresh ass movie, f*ck trying to always be in comparison with the men (also I'm tired that franchises keep trying to reboot and whatever). BUT I DIGRESS. THE ACTING was fine, but no character development. I wasn't emotionally connected to any of them. I'm literally so tired of movies that progress fast in order to get straight to the action or "cool stuff."

THE TORTURE GARDEN: Amicus Portmanteau.
Five people visit a fairground sideshow run by showman Dr. Diabolo (Burgess Meredith). Having shown them a handful of haunted house -style attractions, he promises them a genuinely scary experience if they will pay extra. Their curiosity gets the better of them, and the small crowd follows him behind a curtain, where they each view their fate through the shears of an effigy of the female Greek deity Atropos

• In Enoch, a greedy playboy ( Michael Bryant) takes advantage of his dying uncle (Maurice Denham), and falls under the spell of a man-eating cat.
  • In Terror Over Hollywood, a Hollywood starlet (Beverly Adams) discovers her co-stars are androids.
  • In Mr. Steinway, a possessed grand piano becomes jealous of its owner (John Standing) new lover (Barbara Ewing) and takes revenge.
  • In The Man Who Collected Poe, a Poe collector (Jack Palance) murders another collector (Peter Cushing) over a collectable he refuses to show him, only to find it is Edgar Allan Poe himself.
  • This is purely tame fare.. only the presence of fine actors like Meredith and Cushing lift it above the mundane. I am being generous with

One Hour Photo (2002) Always an enjoyable dark film whenever I watch it. Great performance by Robin Williams as the one hour photo technician obsessed with this family. 8/10.

Welcome to the human race...
Breakfast at Tiffany's -

at least this movie is bad for reasons other than the yellowface